Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark fell from the sky
1774 20 2017-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7801ba43
New
Flight distance : 581 ft
Canada

Took my spark out for its second flight a couple of days ago. It was hovering in the air about 100 feet when it just shut off and fell from the sky. Smashed on the gropund broke every prop, poped off the front sensor lens, bend an arm and buckled the top cover. I've flown lots of drones and have never had something like this happen, super bummed.
2017-7-20
Use props
igorgaelzer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 696 ft
United States

It just happened to me too! I had just received it after buying online, got the batteries charged (2 that came with the kit and one more) and went fly it carefully outside. After a couple minutes flying I activated the return home function and it started to descend slowly then suddenly engines stopped and it dropped like a rock on the roof. I was using a RC and not sure if the battery was one from the kit or if it was the one I ordered extra at the DJI online store.

www. phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/46QD10YZ0IK30PJPLF7H/ (don't know why can't post URLs)

Sending it in for repair but i'm leaving the US in 15 days. Really hope they get it fixed and back by then. 

2017-7-20
Use props
fans5313304a
New
United States

Just had a similar thing happen to me. I launched the spark as normal from the ground. it went to the set height of 4 feet hovered for a few seconds then just took off. I tried hitting return to home and it jus kept flying then it disconnected. I was able to walk in the direction of where it went and then the remote reconnected. so I used the map to find it which barley happened. the drone crashed through some trees before hitting the ground and popping of a prop. this was the only visible damage. I'm now getting a gimbal disconnect code as well as no image transmission code.
2017-7-20
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

igorgaelzer Posted at 2017-7-20 19:19
It just happened to me too! I had just received it after buying online, got the batteries charged (2 that came with the kit and one more) and went fly it carefully outside. After a couple minutes flying I activated the return home function and it started to descend slowly then suddenly engines stopped and it dropped like a rock on the roof. I was using a RC and not sure if the battery was one from the kit or if it was the one I ordered extra at the DJI online store.

www. phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/46QD10YZ0IK30PJPLF7H/ (don't know why can't post URLs)

there is a space inbetween www. & phantomhelp

www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/46QD10YZ0IK30PJPLF7H/
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

This situation has filled us with regret, we are sorry for the mishap and the trouble you’ve been experiencing. We suggest to send in the drone for data analysis and repair when you get back, we will not charge if it's malfunction.
2017-7-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

igorgaelzer Posted at 2017-7-20 19:19

Your log shows you initiated RTH inside 20 metre you didn't have RTH enabled for inside 20 metre so your spark did what it was supposed to do land, it was making a good landing but obviously roof was underneath it and it crashed.

I know it's a tough break but you didn't have RTH set properly for inside 20 metre.

You could have cancelled auto landing at anytime, you could also have pressed pause button.
2017-7-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans5313304a Posted at 2017-7-20 21:34
Just had a similar thing happen to me. I launched the spark as normal from the ground. it went to the set height of 4 feet hovered for a few seconds then just took off. I tried hitting return to home and it jus kept flying then it disconnected. I was able to walk in the direction of where it went and then the remote reconnected. so I used the map to find it which barley happened. the drone crashed through some trees before hitting the ground and popping of a prop. this was the only visible damage. I'm now getting a gimbal disconnect code as well as no image transmission code.

If you want you can upload your flight log to link below, I will have a look at it. Just click on link and follow instructions and come back here and post link. It will give you a better understanding of what happened.

You should also sync your flight log to dji cloud and open a case dji support.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-7-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

If you want you can upload your flight log to link below, I will have a look at it. Just click on link and follow instructions and come back here and post link. It will give you a better understanding of what happened.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-7-21
Use props
igorgaelzer
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-21 05:59
Your log shows you initiated RTH inside 20 metre you didn't have RTH enabled for inside 20 metre so your spark did what it was supposed to do land, it was making a good landing but obviously roof was underneath it and it crashed.

I know it's a tough break but you didn't have RTH set properly for inside 20 metre.

Unfortunately that isn't  the case. It was flying high up, starting to come down and suddenly turned of and dropped like a rock. It didn't get close to the roof slowly, and I do know that I can cancel auto landing and that was what I was going to to had it not dropped like a dead bird when it was still very far from the ground and even the roof where it fell.
2017-7-21
Use props
igorgaelzer
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-21 06:10

Thank you. Here's the flight log and Assistant 2 is saying there is a server error when I try to upload the blackbox to the cloud.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/46QD10YZ0IK30PJPLF7H/
2017-7-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

igorgaelzer Posted at 2017-7-21 12:34
Unfortunately that isn't  the case. It was flying high up, starting to come down and suddenly turned of and dropped like a rock. It didn't get close to the roof slowly, and I do know that I can cancel auto landing and that was what I was going to to had it not dropped like a dead bird when it was still very far from the ground and even the roof where it fell.

It was coming down for 20 seconds at correct speed it didn't suddenly drop, there is no sign in your logs of anything strange, you initiated RTH , it just seems strange why you would hit RTH when you knew it would land on a house.

Everything I have said is in your log, you can see it yourself, it is different than other power drop cases. But hey dji will have access to more of your flight data once they receive your Spark back .

I can only tell you what's in your log, I'm not making it up.
2017-7-21
Use props
fans1b3890df
New
Canada

Yep mine also fell out of the sky!! Sent in to dji and got the spark damage fixed but now the battery not staying cliped in...i guess i no why it fell out of tje sky. Sucks they didnt catch it when i sent it in to get fixed
20170721_140423.jpg
20170721_140546.jpg
2017-7-21
Use props
BriRi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

igorgaelzer Posted at 2017-7-21 12:36
Thank you. Here's the flight log and Assistant 2 is saying there is a server error when I try to upload the blackbox to the cloud.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/46QD10YZ0IK30PJPLF7H/

igorgaelzer,

Is your house 74ft tall where it hit? If not it appears the flight record stopped when your aircraft shut off. It probably then fell the rest of the way to your roof. If it is that tall, congrats on the awesomely tall house!!!

I can only tell you what's in your log, I'm not making it up (or misinterpreting it).
2017-7-21
Use props
fans1b3890df
New
Canada

Mine fell also but was the clips on the battery. Sent in to dji and got it all fixed up but they didnt catch the battery.
20170721_140546.jpg
20170721_140423.jpg
2017-7-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-21 13:36
igorgaelzer,

Is your house 74ft tall where it hit? If not it appears the flight record stopped when your aircraft shut off. It probably then fell the rest of the way to your roof. If it is that tall, congrats on the awesomely tall house!!!

I think if you know your AC is going to land on a roof you would certainly be able to cancel it within 20 seconds, you know Bri your starting to sound real bitter now, trying at every angle to bump up your cause.
2017-7-21
Use props
igorgaelzer
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-21 12:59
It was coming down for 20 seconds at correct speed it didn't suddenly drop, there is no sign in your logs of anything strange, you initiated RTH , it just seems strange why you would hit RTH when you knew it would land on a house.

Everything I have said is in your log, you can see it yourself, it is different than other power drop cases. But hey dji will have access to more of your flight data once they receive your Spark back .

Yes, you are reading the logs. The problem is when the last log status was saved it was still way above the ground and way above the roof. It did not log the lading because the unit was DEAD. It won't record anything if it is not turned on, and that is the problem happening to everyone. It turns completely off and that's why people are suggesting it might be a battery/power problem or bug.

The unit not logging information if it is dead makes sense to you right?
2017-7-21
Use props
igorgaelzer
lvl.1
United States

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-21 13:36
igorgaelzer,

You got it right. It is not tall at all, only one level high and it has a basement. But the unit took off by the garage, which is the same height as the first and only level. You are right it came down slowly when it was returning home and then way before it got to the ground and roof it shut off, stopped logging and dropped like a dead bird.
2017-7-21
Use props
igorgaelzer
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-21 12:59

My house is not 74.5 feet tall, it has only one level. 74 feet is the last log, and from there down it was plain dead EXACTLY like the video.
Unlike you suggest, the logs show exactly what happened.

2017-7-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

igorgaelzer Posted at 2017-7-21 15:28
Yes, you are reading the logs. The problem is when the last log status was saved it was still way above the ground and way above the roof. It did not log the lading because the unit was DEAD. It won't record anything if it is not turned on, and that is the problem happening to everyone. It turns completely off and that's why people are suggesting it might be a battery/power problem or bug.

I know what your saying, your dat file will show a lot more than your PH file, so I'm sure dji will be able to tell you what happened.
2017-7-21
Use props
BriRi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

igorgaelzer Posted at 2017-7-21 15:28

When the aircraft shuts off, so do the flight logs .... disregard the fanboy deniers. I'm not bitter, but am getting sick of the people who always jump to blame the pilots every time one of these incidents occur.... You have video proof yet somehow that isn't good enough.

Return it to DJI and get a new one. Hopefully they will find the problem and fix it.
2017-7-21
Use props
igorgaelzer
lvl.1
United States

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-21 17:07
When the aircraft shuts off, so do the flight logs .... disregard the fanboy deniers. I'm not bitter, but am getting sick of the people who always jump to blame the pilots every time one of these incidents occur.... You have video proof yet somehow that isn't good enough.

Return it to DJI and get a new one. Hopefully they will find the problem and fix it.

Yeah, I just dropped it by UPS this afternoon and hopefully I'll send a new one. Thanks for the help and good luck to you too ;)
2017-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules