Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Passenger Jet's on the DJI GO APP?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans2f70cfd3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I am a Phantom flyer in the United Kingdom, and I live quite central, just on the border of the no fly zones. I do tend to see passenger aircraft flying at 1000- metres, which does worry me. What would be great, is if DJI would work with a Air Traffic Provider, to get real time information on flights and aircraft through the DJI GO app, allowing users to navigate their UAV's with confidence that this won't happen . They should create a safety measure in which if there is an aircraft within  1.25km of the drone, the user should be warned, and told to decrease the altitude of the drone, and if the aircraft gets within 0.75- km then the drone will decrease the altitude automatically, and cannot be stopped, until the aircraft reaches further distances. As of July 21st, in the Great Britain alone, there are 8,850 flights in UK Airspace right now. Drones have the capability to shut down the engines of passenger jets, killing hundreds of passengers onboard. This should be taken seriously, as when I bought my drone, I thought it was just a really cool toy. After flying it less than a KM of a passenger jet flying out of Heathrow, on my second day, it occured to me that this is not a toy. It's serious, and DJI should work with flightradar24 or worldwide air traffic providers to incorporate this into the DJI GO APP for all current and past drones (just because it's newer, doesnt mean it deserves to be safer).

- This nearly killed 250 people on board. Imagine if that drone was positioned about 3 metres closer to the aircraft, and two metres lower. It would of gone into the engine. A catastrophe was only a few metres away. Let's be safer, and stop this from happening.
2017-7-21
Use props
Augustus Brian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

fans2f70cfd3:

The danger is real...

But, that video is fake.

Check YouTube.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus

2017-7-21
Use props
usarfireman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79957 ft
United Kingdom

yep seen before and how they made it ----- fake
2017-7-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hahaha, yes, that is some great CGI!!

It's been seen around the RC forums for several months already.

RedHotPoker
2017-7-21
Use props
EdSimmonsPhoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121371 ft
United States

You can get an app like flightaware to track commercial jets, but there is probably nothing more dangerous than trying to share airspace with an airliner.  Please, just don't.
2017-7-21
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

"I am a Phantom flyer in the United Kingdom, and I live quite central, just on the border of the no fly zones. I do tend to see passenger aircraft flying at 1000- metres, which does worry me."

Your Phantom has a 500m altitude limit and you are supposed to keep it under 120m in the UK so you should not be anywhere near those planes up at 1Km!  I don't understand why you are worried about them?

However you should always be careful and are required to give way to any manned aircraft anyway.
2017-7-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

To provide the warning you are requesting is way beyond the capability of the DJI drones. It would require a complex tracking and information system with real-time communication between every drone being flown in the world at any given time and the operator of that drone. At present it is not necessary to have a valid internet connection while flying your drone, but what you propose would make it essential. Sorry, it just wont happen.

Also, there is no evidence of what damage a drone could do to an aircraft engine, so the whole doomsday scenario is unproven. The greater majority of aircraft engines these days are turbofans, where a drone would not enter the engine proper, but bypass it. And loss of a single engine on any commercial aircraft does not spell certain death for the passengers either. This borders on scaremongering.

2017-7-21
Use props
fans2f70cfd3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-7-21 15:47
"I am a Phantom flyer in the United Kingdom, and I live quite central, just on the border of the no fly zones. I do tend to see passenger aircraft flying at 1000- metres, which does worry me."

Your Phantom has a 500m altitude limit and you are supposed to keep it under 120m in the UK so you should not be anywhere near those planes up at 1Km!  I don't understand why you are worried about them?

i know but you are meant to be at least 2.5 km away from any commercial aircraft, and at least 1km in alt. distance (CAA)
2017-7-23
Use props
fans2f70cfd3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

usarfireman Posted at 2017-7-21 12:14

lol didnt know that but it is still a risk
2017-7-23
Use props
fans2f70cfd3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

usarfireman Posted at 2017-7-21 12:14

pretty realistic tho...
2017-7-23
Use props
fans2f70cfd3
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-21 15:58
To provide the warning you are requesting is way beyond the capability of the DJI drones. It would require a complex tracking and information system with real-time communication between every drone being flown in the world at any given time and the operator of that drone. At present it is not necessary to have a valid internet connection while flying your drone, but what you propose would make it essential. Sorry, it just wont happen.

Also, there is no evidence of what damage a drone could do to an aircraft engine, so the whole doomsday scenario is unproven. The greater majority of aircraft engines these days are turbofans, where a drone would not enter the engine proper, but bypass it. And loss of a single engine on any commercial aircraft does not spell certain death for the passengers either. This borders on scaremongering.

I was not requesting information on drones specifically, but more passenger aircraft. The CAA and FAA and any others put down regulations for three main rules: Safety of the general public, safety of aircraft, and privacy. Co-operating with companies like flightradar24 (for example) would be good and this idea just came to me at the top of my head, and this is what the forums are for, discussing ideas on their lows and highs. And I'm not saying it could bring down an aircraft, but just flying it near it (according to the dronecode) will result in a 1-5 year sentence). If it damages the aircraft, it will cause significant consequences, can cause thousands of pounds of damage - and the CAA is trying to stop this... so just as a safety precaution, if a 4G or Wi-Fi signal is available, this could be an added feature - this idea is still a work in progress
2017-7-23
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans2f70cfd3 Posted at 2017-7-23 01:17
i know but you are meant to be at least 2.5 km away from any commercial aircraft, and at least 1km in alt. distance (CAA)

"i know but you are meant to be at least 2.5 km away from any commercial aircraft, and at least 1km in alt. distance (CAA) "

Can you find any reference to these distances?  I've been searching but can't find any reference to them.  I've not heard that anywhere else and wonder if it's accurate?

I can't help thinking you are unnecessarily worrying.
Any jet at 1000 metres is about 900 metres higher than you will ever be flying at legal height.

If you follow the rules for your country, you won't be flying closer than 5km to an airport.
Looking at a hypothetical scenario ... if you were to go flying at your max legal height (400 ft) right on the 5 km distance from your local jet airport, jets departing are going to be  at about 2200 feet and climbing.  2200 ft is 1800 feet higher than you would be flying in that scenario.
If you are further away, the jets are going to be even higher.
You said you see jets at 1000 metres.
A jet taking off, climbs through 1000 metres at about  7.7 km from takeoff.
How far are you from the airport?
2017-7-23
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans2f70cfd3 Posted at 2017-7-23 01:28
I was not requesting information on drones specifically, but more passenger aircraft. The CAA and FAA and any others put down regulations for three main rules: Safety of the general public, safety of aircraft, and privacy. Co-operating with companies like flightradar24 (for example) would be good and this idea just came to me at the top of my head, and this is what the forums are for, discussing ideas on their lows and highs. And I'm not saying it could bring down an aircraft, but just flying it near it (according to the dronecode) will result in a 1-5 year sentence). If it damages the aircraft, it will cause significant consequences, can cause thousands of pounds of damage - and the CAA is trying to stop this... so just as a safety precaution, if a 4G or Wi-Fi signal is available, this could be an added feature - this idea is still a work in progress

Co-operating with companies like flightradar24 (for example) would be good and this idea just came to me at the top of my head.

The planes you see on Flightradar are planes flying IFR and using ADSB beacons.
These planes are flying much higher than you need to worry about except on takeoff and landing.
Staying the recommended distance from airports will ensure that you never get anywhere near those planes.
But the planes that are lower (flying VFR) won't be showing on Flightradar.
These are the planes you need to be concerned about but no app will help you with that.
That's why you follow the rules, stay away from airports and stick to altitude limits and stay alert.
Ignore those jets you're seeing, ignore Flightradar, those are unnecessarily distracting you.
Be concerned about things that do matter instead.
2017-7-23
Use props
fans52cfa4bf
Second Officer
United Kingdom

FAKE
2017-7-23
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-21 15:58

Geebax,
I concur with you that the whole doomsday scenario as stated is not likely.

However, you are incorrect in stating that A) if a jet engine ingested a drone that it would not enter the engine proper and B) there is no evidence of what damage a drone could cause if ingested in to a jet engine.  

A)   Any foreign object (including a drone) entering a jet engine can mean problems for that engine to continue operating safely, whether it is a turbofan or not and whether it enters the engine proper or not (I assume you mean by entering the engine proper it is the combustion section).  Point of fact, any object entering an engine whether it only makes it as far as the guide vans or compressor section, it has entered the engine proper.  All that needs to happen is for the foreign object damage (FoD) to cause the destruction of some internal components or drone parts themselves to be sucked further into the engine area.  This can happen in any operating jet engine, turbo fan or otherwise, the forces involved are tremendous and any damage can lead to significant operational malfunctions or complete engine shutdown.  Further, just damage that causes the loss of compressor blades or the FoD itself can create a cascade effect within the engine known as shelling out, which could lead to compressor stalls and fire.  This type of damage can also lead to the loss of the engine pod (i.e. separating from the wing or fuselage), which could lead to wing damage, fuel loss, and control surface damage to name a few.  Meaning, any ingested object in to an engine such as a bird (many of which are similar in size and mass to a drone), drones, ice, etc. must be taken seriously.

B)   Granted I know of no current testing of actual drone damage being done on jet aircraft, although I am sure it is being considered and calculated.  However, that is completely irrelevant to the point.  There is considerable evidence proving that foreign object damage similar in size and mass and make up of a drone can cause severe to catastrophic damage to a jet engine, turbo fan or otherwise.  It is more than reasonable to assume that if a bird can take out an engine then at the very least something like a phantom, mavic, or even a spark could do the same.  As a pilot, I would not prefer to press to test the notion of ingesting a drone in to one of my engines under any circumstance.

You are correct that modern day aircraft that have more than one engine are designed to operate with the loss of an engine, or more depending on the number of engines on the aircraft.  However, even a B-52 crew who experiences the loss of just one engine, for any reason, they are required to declare an IFE.  Loss of an engine not only means the obvious loss of thrust, but it can lead to issues of increased control factors (asymmetric forces), loss of hydraulics, loss of electric generator, etc.  While redundant systems can usually compensate, you are now flying with much smaller to zero margins for error.
  I am sure everyone can agree that we all should stay as far away from any other airborne aircraft, period, no matter what type of aircraft or circumstance.  I am sure none of us wants the responsibility of having caused anything bad to happen or just the loss of our own expensive aircraft.
2017-8-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-6 14:12
Geebax,I concur with you that the whole doomsday scenario as stated is not likely.  However, you are incorrect in stating that A) if a jet engine ingested a drone that it would not enter the engine proper and B) there is no evidence of what damage a drone could cause if ingested in to a jet engine.    A)   Any foreign object (including a drone) entering a jet engine can mean problems for that engine to continue operating safely, whether it is a turbofan or not and whether it enters the engine proper or not (I assume you mean by entering the engine proper it is the combustion section).  Point of fact, any object entering an engine whether it only makes it as far as the guide vans or compressor section, it has entered the engine proper.  All that needs to happen is for the foreign object damage (FoD) to cause the destruction of some internal components or drone parts themselves to be sucked further into the engine area.  This can happen in any operating jet engine, turbo fan or otherwise, the forces involved are tremendous and any damage can lead to significant operational malfunctions or complete engine shutdown.  Further, just damage that causes the loss of compressor blades or the FoD itself can create a cascade effect within the engine known as shelling out, which could lead to compressor stalls and fire.  This type of damage can also lead to the loss of the engine pod (i.e. separating from the wing or fuselage), which could lead to wing damage, fuel loss, and control surface damage to name a few.  Meaning, any ingested object in to an engine such as a bird (many of which are similar in size and mass to a drone), drones, ice, etc. must be taken seriously.  B)   Granted I know of no current testing of actual drone damage being done on jet aircraft, although I am sure it is being considered and calculated.  However, that is completely irrelevant to the point.  There is considerable evidence proving that foreign object damage similar in size and mass and make up of a drone can cause severe to catastrophic damage to a jet engine, turbo fan or otherwise.  It is more than reasonable to assume that if a bird can take out an engine then at the very least something like a phantom, mavic, or even a spark could do the same.  As a pilot, I would not prefer to press to test the notion of ingesting a drone in to one of my engines under any circumstance.  You are correct that modern day aircraft that have more than one engine are designed to operate with the loss of an engine, or more depending on the number of engines on the aircraft.  However, even a B-52 crew who experiences the loss of just one engine, for any reason, they are required to declare an IFE.  Loss of an engine not only means the obvious loss of thrust, but it can lead to issues of increased control factors (asymmetric forces), loss of hydraulics, loss of electric generator, etc.  While redundant systems can usually compensate, you are now flying with much smaller to zero margins for error.  I am sure everyone can agree that we all should stay as far away from any other airborne aircraft, period, no matter what type of aircraft or circumstance.  I am sure none of us wants the responsibility of having caused anything bad to happen or just the loss of our own expensive aircraft.

I agree with that information, however I do stand by my comment that there is no evidence of what a drone would do, and I am puzzled that no engine manufactuer has made a test and published the results. What I do take exception to is the statement by less informed people that sucking a drone into a jet engine is going to definitely destroy the engine and spell certain death for everyone on that aircraft. That is scaremongering.

2017-8-6
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-6 16:29
I agree with that information, however I do stand by my comment that there is no evidence of what a drone would do, and I am puzzled that no engine manufactuer has made a test and published the results. What I do take exception to is the statement by less informed people that sucking a drone into a jet engine is going to definitely destroy the engine and spell certain death for everyone on that aircraft. That is scaremongering.

2017-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules