944 20 2017-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Hello everyone,

I have a question about landing ...

We obviously try to take off and land from a perfectly flat (and preferably paved/cemented) terrain.  In fact, I coudln't even think of any reason why we'd take off from anywhere else ...

But let's say we had to land on a graded (but concrete) area.  Probably about 15-20º grade.

- How does the Inspire 2 deal with something like this?
- Does anyone have experience landing when it is not 100% perfectly flat?
- Does it cause issues with the obstacle avoidance?
- Theoretically speaking, if landing this way is "appropriate", how would the Inspire 2 do with touching down 2 of its 4 legs before the other 2?

I'm guessing (based on just normal flight) that the props over the first two legs that touch down would slow down significantly in an effort to keep the aircraft balanced.  And then the two legs that are landing over a lower part of the grade would then touch down and everything would be good.

Not that we'd ever be doing this as a standard landing procedure, but simply to know the behavior of the Inspire 2 would be wonderful.

Thanks!
2017-7-21
Use props
ronin rs211
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just be careful, once the landing gear is lowered obstacle avoidance is off. Make sure you pull the stick straight back and wait for the motors to stop.
2017-7-21
Use props
Highasakite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

paraviz02, as long as the feet or legs touch the ground BEFORE your props touch the ground  {:4_177:} you will be fine, no problem.. Safety First! Ken.
2017-7-22
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Use care, and you'll be fine.
Personally, I never use the auto landing feature. (Don't know if you do, but I thought I'd mention it.) Or auto take off either.
I land her softer.....

You could land on any slope so long as it isn't steep enough for the bird to topple over.
Bear in mind that the bird comes down somewhat level so 2 feet may hit terra firma before the others.
Doesn't have to be pavement either, I land in grass often with no problems.
Just avoid sand and dust.
2017-7-22
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Hand catch if ground is not level. Learn, Its not difficult
2017-7-23
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-7-23 07:00

Please tell me more about hand catching.
I assume that once you have a hold on the drone , and as its still flying, it will try to resist the hand-hold. Is this correct?  Do you need ton stop the rotors "in the air" in order to hand-catch?
Thanks.
Allan
2017-7-23
Use props
Bitt3rsun
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189469 ft
Netherlands

allanart Posted at 2017-7-23 07:54
I assume that once you have a hold on the drone , and as its still flying, it will try to resist the hand-hold. Is this correct?  Do you need ton stop the rotors "in the air" in order to hand-catch?
Thanks.

I do hand catching almost all the time and I never use auto-landing. Hand catching looks difficult, but is rather easy. Just fly to a height where you can easily grab the inspire. Preferably above your head, so the blades can not harm you. Just a light grap with one hand. Do not pull the Inspire downwards. With your other hand pull down the left thumb controller until the motors shutdown. It is very advisable to use a neckstrap attached to your controller, or be with two persons. I grab the bottom part near both batteries. I have done this many times with both my Inspire and Phantom.
2017-7-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks.

With the inspire it is best to have someone helping you. See the link below for the handles that can be added to the inspire 1 or 2. Their are some youtube videos showing the hand catch, I lot of guys do this on  boat shoots.

https://www.floridadronesupply.c ... tch-for-dji-inspire

Rich
2017-7-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

2017-7-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

2017-7-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

2017-7-23
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-7-23 16:33
https://youtu.be/usNh5F9lp7g

Hi Rich,

This guy demonstrates a less safe way of hand catching. Look at where the blades are in relation to his face/eyes. Also, you will not have as much strength in your arms at that angle should something go wrong. Always safer to catch above your head.

Mark G.
2017-7-24
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

Thanks.

Looks like Rich and Mark have already chimed in. Mark's point about catching above head level is a good safety tip.
2017-7-24
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-7-24 01:59
Hi Rich,

This guy demonstrates a less safe way of hand catching. Look at where the blades are in relation to his face/eyes. Also, you will not have as much strength in your arms at that angle should something go wrong. Always safer to catch above your head.

I  agree Mark,

I still believe that using 2 people is the best and safest method (if you must hand catch) plus good communications between the pilot and the helper..

Rich
2017-7-24
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-7-24 20:51
I  agree Mark,

I still believe that using 2 people is the best and safest method (if you must hand catch) plus good communications between the pilot and the helper..

Absolutely Rich, two people and with auto landing gear off.

Mark G.
2017-7-25
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

15-20º grade equates to around 25-35% slope. US Interstates generally are 6% or less with some exceptions for 7% (mountainous roads with speed limits below 60 mph). I would not even consider landing my Inspire on a 15-20º grade. I have never hand caught my Inspire (did it all the time with my Phantoms) but would try that versus landing on anything that steep. Just my 2-cents, I realize.
2017-7-25
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-7-24 15:27
Looks like Rich and Mark have already chimed in. Mark's point about catching above head level is a good safety tip.

Yes, many thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated!
Regards
Allan
2017-7-25
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-7-23 07:00

Oh man.  I'll have to look up a video of this.  That sounds a bit scary!
2017-7-25
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Ohh I see there are videos here :-) ...

Now after reading all this ... Realistically, I'd feel more comfortable hand-catching than landing on the grade.

I've seen the bird do some funny things when it gets so close to the ground (probably because the obstacle avoidance turning off).  And to be honest, I'm not sure if I trust myself hand-catching without someone else manning the controls.  That's a disaster waiting to happen ha ha ha ...

Great information - thanks everyone!
2017-7-25
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

Another safety tip all - catch with the birds head pointing downwind. Common sense but this could save your hands / face. Also remember it takes 2-3 seconds between full throttle down and motor cut off and one MUST keep the stick hard down. I often kill the motors slightly ahead of time while hovering. This is particularly useful on a boat or when it is windy.
2017-7-25
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-7-25 21:53
Another safety tip all - catch with the birds head pointing downwind. Common sense but this could save your hands / face. Also remember it takes 2-3 seconds between full throttle down and motor cut off and one MUST keep the stick hard down. I often kill the motors slightly ahead of time while hovering. This is particularly useful on a boat or when it is windy.

That's an excellent tip.  A small gust of wind could really make for an unexpected disaster ...
2017-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules