Flying far away from internet coverage area
967 8 2017-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Hi!

We are planning a trip into the middle of absolutely nowhere ... (In Utah, USA) ... I must say, the most beautiful outdoor scenery I've ever witnessed is there.  And this will be the first time we ever have aerial capabilities.  (Really looking forward to this.)

Regarding the recent firmware update(s) that limit the Inspire 2's flight range depending on the DJI GO 4 app being able to connect to DJI's servers ...

If we have absolutely no mobile service, and are so far out into nowhere that there would be no way to achieve an internet connection without some type of satellite uplink, is that type of flight still limited to the small area?

Or maybe I am unclear about the way this restriction is enforced.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!
2017-7-21
Use props
Electro-Nick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

So long as your Dji Go was/is 'logged in' then you don't have the restrictions imposed. Simply don't log out of your Dji account in Dji Go, then it always thinks it's logged in!  Your login is persistent... i.e. You actively have to log out to log out if you get what I mean ;)

I fly using a wifi iPad, almost always in areas that have little or no cell coverage, and it never has a 'connection' while flying, and I've no problems with the restrictions.
2017-7-21
Use props
Highasakite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

paraviz02, you should also "cach maps in background" for that area NOW before you go to the middle of nowhere. Safety First! Ken.
2017-7-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

The above posts are correct, hope you have a good time there, looking forward wonderful pictures and videos from you.
2017-7-21
Use props
imagine it
lvl.3
United States

I turn my WIFI off on my tablet because it seems to interfere with the ap at times and have no problems.
2017-7-22
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like great fun, can't wait for your videos.  
2017-7-22
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Ohh awesome.  Thanks so much for the input, everyone!

(The cached maps is something I never would have thought about.)

Regarding the signal from iPad ... That's an excellent point as well to consider for just general flying.

Cheers!
2017-7-25
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

please keep us updated if everything works as DJI expected.
2017-7-25
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

DTK Posted at 2017-7-25 16:55
please keep us updated if everything works as DJI expected.

Will do!  (It'll be in the fall after everything isn't so blasted hot out there.)
2017-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules