DJI Spark Poor Range WITH CONTROLLER + OTG Cable
3062 3 2017-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thimows
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15338 ft
Netherlands

I have the spark for a couple of weeks now, first without the controller and now, for a couple of days, with the controller.
With only the phone as the primary controller I got decent range (as advertised).
But I wanted to go farther, so bought the remote. I saw that de best way to connect the phone to the controller was via an OTG cable, so I bought one.
When I tested the controller (in an open field, with OTG cable) I got more range than with the mobile phone but not the range that I was promised at all.
Even when I fly the drone directly above my head it will disconnect at around 100 meters high...

Antoher thing I noticed is that my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) after a flight (with the remote and phone connected via OTG) will get so hot that you can't even touch the phone for a while. But I don't know if that has something to do with the poor range.

Is there a way to fix this issue? Or do I just have wait for a firmware update?

Thanks

2017-7-22
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

Caution!!

Above you is where reception is poorer ...

Because the antennas propagate directionally on the 4 sides ...

Try moving the spark 30 mt  in front of you and get him to climb!

I with the otg cable at 10mt distance I went up to 120mt (limit imposed
  In the menu) with iphone 6s.

I think for long distances (I still have to test) alazare the spark a 30 / 40mt is the best .. then try to a zone without 4G antennas or high voltage cables.

Try this way.
2017-7-22
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

2.412 - 2.462 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference) FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.3 mi (500 m);
SRRC: 0.3 mi (500 m)

5.745 - 5.825 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)  
FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km);
CE: 0.18 mi (300 m);
SRRC: 0.7 mi (1.2 km)

refer to your country regulations.. i think CE for you?

Yes your phone will be hot due to the following 1) video transmission, processing logs, if you take photo & vid, storing these files and some post processing
2017-7-22
Use props
jim.williams
lvl.1
United States

The phone will also be hot because it is being charged by the battery in your controller, which, btw will cause you to have to recharge your controller sooner.  Personally I wonder if the reason a lot of folks are seeing an increase of range, particularly IOS users, is due to the fact that the OTG connection forces the controller to 2.4 ghz instead of 5.8, which it (at least for me), will normally set itself up on. In general, 2.4 has better propagational range than 5.8, unless of course you are in an area where 2.4 is very congested across the band.  With the OTG connection on IOS, you also lose the functionality of being able to look at noise levels on different channels and switch to a more clear channel.  I am really not sure this is such a wonderful thing to do.  It really needs a very controlled test IMO.
2017-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules