123Next >
4129 89 2017-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jester
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195016 ft

United States

I was finally able to test after the update and everything worked perfectly, after running 2 batteries the filghts were smooth and stable and all of the new features seem to work well. I did have a few range issues however, I couldn't say that they were caused by the update yet.

I know that a lot of you are having major issues and I can imagine that it is over the top frustrating based on what I have read and the videos I have watched. There has to be a common denominator that ties to the ones that work with the update vs. the ones that are having issues.

This is what I did when I updated the firmware:

1. OTA firmware update stuck at 99% (Ipad Mini)
2. Shut down and rebooted the P4 and the remote
3. Updated the remote
4. Shut down and reboot
4. I only calibrated the compass based on the promp, (no other calibrations were performed)

I would like to start by throwing some spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks. My first thoughts on this would be to possibly look at serial numbers and see if there is a connection to the P4's that are working with the firmware updates. I am not sure on how DJI uses the serial numbers to determine production dates and lots so maybe someone can chime in

This is the first line on my P4

07DDD5R-

2017-7-22
Use props
AerialImageryMe
lvl.2
United States

So you didn't do an IMU calibration. This could be one of the issues, I did. It's a new way.

Does your drone say "take off" when taking off? Does it say/aleart "ready to fly"? Mine does not, that is gone now.

Mine was purchased May 2016. How about you?
2017-7-22
Use props
AerialImageryMe
lvl.2
United States

Also, did you update with 2nd battery? They all need updates.
2017-7-22
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Mine is also flying smoothly, but I do have a problem with video feed. I did an IMU cal after updating , tested the new fight modes and all are working well
2017-7-22
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

My does say "ready to fly", I didn't notice if it said "take off". I purchased my P4 from a friend of a friend in 2015 so it would be difficult to pin point when it was actually purchased. I am hoping the serial number can help determine that
2017-7-22
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

I upgraded the same way you did.  I have not had any of the flight stability problems others have described.  All works well EXCEPT that the gimbal is unstable and recordings stop by themselves when shooting 4K 30fps.  Strange as it sounds, the common denominator I notice is that neither you or I did a IMU calibration.  I also have not done a compass calibration in months since I always fly in the same area.
2017-7-22
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

fans1f690efe Posted at 2017-7-22 06:55
Mine is also flying smoothly, but I do have a problem with video feed. I did an IMU cal after updating , tested the new fight modes and all are working well

That's good to hear, can you take a look at your serial number as well and see if it is in the 5R lot? I didn't have any video issues during these flights
2017-7-22
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Jim Watkins Posted at 2017-7-22 06:53
I upgraded the same way you did.  I have not had any of the flight stability problems others have described.  All works well EXCEPT that the gimbal is unstable and recordings stop by themselves when shooting 4K 30fps.  Strange as it sounds, the common denominator I notice is that neither you or I did a IMU calibration.  I also have not done a compass calibration in months since I always fly in the same area.

I did an IMU cal after updating with out a problem, ran  battery's through without updating, it's still flying well except the poor video feed
2017-7-22
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

AerialImageryMe Posted at 2017-7-22 06:50
Also, did you update with 2nd battery? They all need updates.

Funny that you mentioned the battery update because I don't recall being prompted to update either one
2017-7-22
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Jim, we could be on to something since the IMU calibration process has been revamped
2017-7-22
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

I updated the same way and done a IMU cal and its flying smoothly, ran battery's through without updating, only issue is with video feed but not all of the time
2017-7-22
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did the exactly same upgrade technique with the same 99% as the OP, but did the new IMU calibration at the desk that I sit at.  I have had no issues other than the video feed on a rare occasion has gone laggy (iPad Mini4) and video has stopped recording once which thankfully I noticed.  I have been able to fly my drone and record and use new features for the last two weekends.  Too rainy this weekend though.
2017-7-22
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

HomePoint Posted at 2017-7-22 07:03
I did the exactly same upgrade technique with the same 99% as the OP, but did the new IMU calibration at the desk that I sit at.  I have had no issues other than the video feed on a rare occasion has gone laggy (iPad Mini4) and video has stopped recording once which thankfully I noticed.  I have been able to fly my drone and record and use new features for the last two weekends.  Too rainy this weekend though.

Good to hear HomePoint, can you take a look at your serial number?
2017-7-22
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

HomePoint Posted at 2017-7-22 07:03

It's video feed for me also, iPad mini 4
2017-7-22
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Jester Posted at 2017-7-22 06:57
That's good to hear, can you take a look at your serial number as well and see if it is in the 5R lot? I didn't have any video issues during these flights

Where is serial No so I can check
2017-7-22
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Jester Posted at 2017-7-22 06:57

Where is the serial No, so I can check
2017-7-22
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

fans1f690efe Posted at 2017-7-22 07:10
Where is the serial No, so I can check

It is located in the battery bay of the P4 just before the CE decal
2017-7-22
Use props
AerialImageryMe
lvl.2
United States

Jester Posted at 2017-7-22 06:58
Funny that you mentioned the battery update because I don't recall being prompted to update either one

Yea, you don't get an aleart, but plug it in to A2 and you will have the option to update again. You won't get it with the battery you used, just a new one.
2017-7-22
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

AerialImageryMe Posted at 2017-7-22 07:28
Yea, you don't get an aleart, but plug it in to A2 and you will have the option to update again. You won't get it with the battery you used, just a new one.

I put all my battery's through without an issue
2017-7-22
Use props
AerialImageryMe
lvl.2
United States

Flight issues

07DDD3V
2017-7-22
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Jester Posted at 2017-7-22 07:15
It is located in the battery bay of the P4 just before the CE decal

Mine is in the 3G lot. No flight issues
2017-7-22
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

2 serial numbers in the 3's and 1 in the 5 so far. It would be interesting to see if some of the ones with issues chime in with their #'s to see if there is a trend
2017-7-22
Use props
RFC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 182178 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Mine is in the 3G lot too. No flight issues.
2017-7-22
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

RFC Posted at 2017-7-22 07:54
Mine is in the 3G lot too. No flight issues.

Are you having any video feed issues.
2017-7-22
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jester Posted at 2017-7-22 07:06
Good to hear HomePoint, can you take a look at your serial number?

Mine starts 07DDD7G
2017-7-22
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 523799 ft
Ireland

Did flights (3batteries) without having calibrated the IMU after the update, then as I was curious about the new calibration process, I went ahead and flew 2 more batteries. No issues whatsoever. So I doubt it's related to the IMU calibration.

Serial: 07DDD5X
2017-7-22
Use props
AerialImageryMe
lvl.2
United States

Speaking of the IMU calibration...second the last step. Prior to this step, it should be camera facing down top facing you...the next step is you have to spin it 180 and battery facing down, top facing you. Question is, did you all do this or did you just take the drone and flip it back so the battery is facing down and the camera/bottom facing you?

That second to the last step, before you flip it upside down, seems really weird, because it was the only one where you totally rotate and change the position of the drone.
2017-7-22
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AerialImageryMe Posted at 2017-7-22 08:35
Speaking of the IMU calibration...second the last step. Prior to this step, it should be camera facing down top facing you...the next step is you have to spin it 180 and battery facing down, top facing you. Question is, did you all do this or did you just take the drone and flip it back so the battery is facing down and the camera/bottom facing you?

That second to the last step, before you flip it upside down, seems really weird, because it was the only one where you totally rotate and change the position of the drone.

I made sure I followed the images exactly.
2017-7-22
Use props
Pakawan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7264 ft
Thailand

Flight issues shaking, aggressive, wobbly
07DJDCE
2017-7-22
Use props
Pareja IV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1084961 ft
Spain

4P lot. All the issues. Every time I fly I discover a new one. I am forward to find a flight video from people who say that has no issues. By the moment I only find people talking to a camera saying "hey I have no issues", videos of sort and soft flights (or P4s settled in the sky like a tripod camera) with the owner explaining: "I have no flight issues" or "horizon tilt issue fixed....,you see, no issues". I've flown 14 batteries after the firmware update, testing all the solutions posted in the forums, I've sent the data logs to DJI, I've posted some videos to show the problems I've found. Everything with two purposes: 1.-To find a solution. 2.-To prevent people who haven't update yet from doing so.
I really appreciate your aim to find a common denominator in the hardware or in the updating process, that could help to find a solution. I have very few hopes because I believe that the problem is the firmware itself (with an small hope pointing to the no IMU calibration).
2017-7-22
Use props
G Davidson
First Officer
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

AerialImageryMe Posted at 2017-7-22 08:35

I don't have flight stability issues on my P4 (serial no 07DDD3J) and I did calibrate the IMU afterwards.

However, you mentioned turning the P4 around on the second last step which is something I did not do but it gave me pause for thought as I suspected the diagram might not be quite right or open to interpretation. i.e. I laid the P4 back on its battery without turning it around.

As an experiment, (assuming you have flight issues) can you try an IMU calibration again but avoid rotating the craft in terms of which compass direction the camera points? I did it the way shown on this youtube video;

It would be interesting to know if this changes anything....
2017-7-22
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Pareja IV Posted at 2017-7-22 08:39
4P lot. All the issues. Every time I fly I discover a new one. I am forward to find a flight video from people who say that has no issues. By the moment I only find people talking to a camera saying "hey I have no issues", videos of sort and soft flights (or P4s settled in the sky like a tripod camera) with the owner explaining: "I have no flight issues" or "horizon tilt issue fixed....,you see, no issues". I've flown 14 batteries after the firmware update, testing all the solutions posted in the forums, I've sent the data logs to DJI, I've posted some videos to show the problems I've found. Everything with two purposes: 1.-To find a solution. 2.-To prevent people who haven't update yet from doing so.
I really appreciate your aim to find a common denominator in the hardware or in the updating process, that could help to find a solution. I have very few hopes because I believe that the problem is the firmware itself (with an small hope pointing to the no IMU calibration).

Sorry, what part of , I don't have a flight issue do you not understand. I have flown it hard on the updated firmware and its fine, I've recorded the footage and only occasionally I get glitches from the video feed
2017-7-22
Use props
AerialImageryMe
lvl.2
United States

G Davidson Posted at 2017-7-22 09:20
I don't have flight stability issues on my P4 (serial no 07DDD3J) and I did calibrate the IMU afterwards.

However, you mentioned turning the P4 around on the second last step which is something I did not do but it gave me pause for thought as I suspected the diagram might not be quite right or open to interpretation. i.e. I laid the P4 back on its battery without turning it around.

This is VERY interesting, because he did it wrong (according to the DJI photos), but like I said, it would seem in the second to the last step DJI wants you to totally rotate and flip the drone that is opposite every other calibration. Where he just leaned it back, which makes more sense.
2017-7-22
Use props
G Davidson
First Officer
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

AerialImageryMe Posted at 2017-7-22 11:00
This is VERY interesting, because he did it wrong (according to the DJI photos), but like I said, it would seem in the second to the last step DJI wants you to totally rotate and flip the drone that is opposite every other calibration. Where he just leaned it back, which makes more sense.

I have a pet theory that the new IMU calibration procedure would allow a successful calibration on a surface that is not perfectly level as long as it's a flat surface. However turning the craft around could spoil the front-back calibration on a less than level surface and perhaps this is why many of the reports seem to suggest that the worst instability is in standard forwards/backwards flying.

Another thought - if there were slight airframe distortions present on some P4s, could the new IMU calibration be sensitive to these imperfections in unintended ways. The previous IMU calibration method would not pick up on distorted rotor arms.  Again, just another clutch at some straws on my behalf but we don't have much else to go on at the moment. [edit - placing the P4 upside down on a flat (glass table?) surface would soon reveal if any of the motors spindles are high/low comared to the rest]

It's certainly worth trying the IMU calibration as shown in the video... you never know... it wouldn't be beyond the realms of belief that the calibration technique is being done differently by some and perhaps affects flight stability.

2017-7-22
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Some really good info coming in especially in regards to the IMU calibration techniques. I have seen some of the serial numbers between 3 & 7 not having issues and then Pakawan with 07DJDCE that is having issues. The serial numbers/production dates may not have anything to do with the issues but it would be a good way to eliminate some possibilities.
2017-7-22
Use props
Pareja IV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1084961 ft
Spain

fans1f690efe Posted at 2017-7-22 10:14
Sorry, what part of , I don't have a flight issue do you not understand. I have flown it hard on the updated firmware and its fine, I've recorded the footage and only occasionally I get glitches from the video feed

Sorry,it's not about understanding, it's about faith
2017-7-22
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

Mine starts with 07DDD55 and grounded right now with buggy firmware.
2017-7-22
Use props
Icer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431079 ft
Latvia

Hi,
Mine is 07DDD4J - firmware v02.00.0106 - bug with unstabile flight and shaking.
2017-7-22
Use props
fans4ea0594d
New
Flight distance : 119465 ft
Philippines

After the update, totally unpredictable behavior, sick to death of waiting for a "solution". Scared to fly now for fear of losing my P4P. Waste of money, like anything from a washing machine to a Ferrari, if there is no support or service from the manufacturer. Going to sell the piece of rubbish ASAP and get lost DJI
2017-7-22
Use props
Driller35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1106 ft
Thailand

07DDD7H, no problems after updating and flew without IMU calibration , did IMU calibration and Gimbal calibration as i always had camera bobbing around when pointed straight down and fixed now, also noticed that my Samsung tablet not getting heated up like before (actually shutdown on me once on old firmware app 1.80, went thru two RCs, battery charging issues and i strongly belive the 1.80 the problem ) hope they can get this sorted out quickly for the ones experiencing troubles
2017-7-22
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules