Phantom 3 Adv - Remote non responsive after firmware update
2117 13 2017-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jonny Boy 7
New
United Kingdom

Hi Folks

I'll keep this as short and to the point as possible and would appreciate any relevant help / advice.

I purchased a Phantom 3 Adv last week and have yet to get it off the ground.  Both the remote and drone powered up as expected when turned on.  After downloading the DJI Go app on an iPhone and connecting it to the remote, I could see the camera view, so everything seemed to be going well.  

A few secons later, the app prompted me to update the remote firmware.  So, I went along with the update. The update progress meter on the app did not pass 0% and I waited approxilately 15-20 minutes.  The remote was bleeping for a period (cannot mind the pattern or for how long - sorry) and the status LEDs were on too ( I am unsure of their colour or how many there was, I'm afraid).  

It seemed like during the firmware update process, the DJI app stopped responding, so I disconnected my phone from the remote. The app update was at 0%, so it seemed safe to do so.

Now the remote shows absolutely no sign of life whatsoever.  No LEDs, no bleeps.  Nothing. It's fully charged, so it's not a power issue. I have tried to charge it to be sure but it makes no diference (charger charges drone bettery fine).  I'm asssuming the firmware has not installed correctly and maybe the previous firmware has currupted.  

Ive done some basic troubleshooting but its difficult, as the remote is acting like if its not turning on, so that limits things.

Tried:-

1.Turning on remote
2.Charging remote (charges drone battery only)
2.Using an apple and android device to connect to remote but remote is none reaponsive.
3. No LEDs power up when power button is pressed correctly.
4. Tried reinstalling remote firmware from flash drive and directly from drone with correct .bon file installed on micro SD
5. Uninstalling / reinstalling app
6. Installing remote firmware from
7. Contacted DJI support but I seem to be going round in circles.   

It seems like if the firmware update may have started and not finished, then maybe corrupted the earlier firmware, leaving the device non operational,  because there's no firmware fully installed.

I am completely new to drones so please bare with me, folks.  I'm decent with electronics though, as I service and repair a lot of musical equipment and apple devices.  

One last thing to note.  There's a very faint high pitched sound coming from the remote.  It can just about be heard when placing my ear against the side of the remote.  It also heats up a little when charging.  

Happy to provide more info...

Thank you very much!
Jonny

2017-7-22
Use props
eyenthesky4
New
Flight distance : 52559 ft
United States

Any luck. It just happened to mine
2017-7-22
Use props
Jonny Boy 7
New
United Kingdom

eyenthesky4 Posted at 2017-7-22 11:04
Any luck. It just happened to mine

Afraid not.  Has the exact same thing happened to you?
2017-7-22
Use props
eyenthesky4
New
United States

Yes. After I updated the RC.
2017-7-22
Use props
Jonny Boy 7
New
United Kingdom

Thanks for that.  Nice to know I'm not alone.  Here's hoping for a quick fix.  
2017-7-22
Use props
Fly Dawg
lvl.2
United States

Normally when you get an RC update notification, it also means to upgrade the AC firmware.
These two must match configurations to function and link properly. Hindsight being 20-20, you
should have disregarded the notice. It would have gone away in a few moments, assuming the
AC and RC firmware currently installed matched versions. Not necessarily number wise but
configuration wise. IMO, if it flies to your satisfaction with the version you are using. Don't touch
it.
2017-7-22
Use props
eyenthesky4
New
United States

I've tried everything this bites
2017-7-22
Use props
Jonny Boy 7
New
United Kingdom

Fly Dawg Posted at 2017-7-22 12:35
Normally when you get an RC update notification, it also means to upgrade the AC firmware.
These two must match configurations to function and link properly. Hindsight being 20-20, you
should have disregarded the notice. It would have gone away in a few moments, assuming the

Thanks for that.  Keep in mind that it was the first time I turned the hardware on, so upgrading the firmware made sense.  I trusted the manufacturers suggestion, which I think is a fair move.  

Now the brand new remote acts like its completely dead.  I have a feeling it isn't and would love to know how to force it to boot up and install the correct firmware.

This should really not be an issue.  
2017-7-22
Use props
eyenthesky4
New
United States

I've had mine for a year or so. Like I said I updated everything and bam no power to the RC. Doesn't make any sense. I'm afraid to send it in because of all the bad feedback from other owners. I guess I will be grounded for a year. Haha
2017-7-22
Use props
eyenthesky4
New
United States

https://youtu.be/NoEiLhywS9k
I saw this a few minutes ago. Haven't tried it but will tomorrow. Doesn't hurt to try I guess.
2017-7-22
Use props
eyenthesky4
New
United States

Didn't work. FYI
2017-7-23
Use props
Jonny Boy 7
New
United Kingdom

Still none the wiser. Any help would be really appreciated, folks.

Thanks.
2017-7-23
Use props
Jonny Boy 7
New
United Kingdom

This is a video demonstrating my problem
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=2pyy2lv-1MA

the second video below might be helpful for others having the same issue (not a fix for mr but it may work for you.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=6cBeT05wL_c

This is the instructions I received-

With regard to this issue, our team has a possible troubleshooting steps to resolve this matter. Please follow steps provided below:

Step #1 Press and hold C1 button and shutter button at the same time.
Note: When remote controller LED blinks white.
Step #2 Connect/Mount mobile device to remote controller
Step #3 Update Remote controller firmware via DJI Go App
Step #4 When updating is complete, Restart remote controller.
Step #5 If remote controller has a sufficient power, charge it.

2017-7-24
Use props
Jonny Boy 7
New
United Kingdom

Fixed!!

Video explaining how that might help someone else avoid 4 days of melt...

2017-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules