Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The Ups and Downs of Flying
944 6 2017-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pumavic
lvl.4
United States

As a beginner, living in a beach town, I'm really mindful I don't go to areas crowded with people, etc...and so far, not even a dozen flights, my experience has been pretty good around other people. Nobody yet, has become agitated and the few people that talked with me were generally curious and were friendly and we would chat briefly and part ways.

Yesterday I had it all at once. I was in an Authorization zone, got it Unlocked and was stoked to fly close to home where I can jump on my bike and cruise to a bunch of places. So I'm on top of a bluff with a lot of trails that overlook the ocean. I do a round and I'm returning to home, and as I lower to a hover about 8' I notice a woman coming down the trail, she has headphones on so at least she's not going to be annoyed by the hovering sound. I'm about 50' off the trail, but as she walks by she says, "Hey that's pretty cool! Is it just a hobby or for work?" I tell her for now it's just a hobby. She goes on to say that the reason she was convinced to move from North Carolina was because of drone footage of the area she lives at now in town. Wow, that's pretty cool, we chat a bit more and she goes on down the trail.

Then as I wrap everything up I feel a weird vibe, look over my shoulder and there's some other woman standing there staring at me with a deadpan face...for 5 solid minutes!? Eventually she comes around because she has to pass me to go down the trail. She starts our conversation with, "Do you know what the FAA rules are for flying that thing around an airport!?" I was taken aback and replied, "Hi, how are you doing? Uh, who are you?"  She replies, "I'm a concerned citizen and I want to know if you know the FAA rules!" I tell her, yep, I sure do know the rules and said if she didn't know what they were to go find out herself. She continues and wants to know if I live in the area, yep right across the street, and if I fly at night? I ask her if she walks her dog at night? Finally she gives up and says, "You know what no problem, I'll be seeing you around." Then points at me like shooting a pistol. So I shoot my finger pistol back at her and say, "Yep, see ya around". WTF!?

I know it's inevitable that the longer you fly eventually you're gonna come across some yahoo that has nothing better to do than to bust your chops. This was just really interesting because just moments before I had a really cool interaction. And the whole thing about the "concerned citizen" was: I never flew anywhere near the airport. Max height was 100'. My entire 10-15 min. flight I didn't see anyone around the whole area I was flying. It wasn't like I buzzed her and scared her or her dog, nothing for her to be alarmed about, she turned a corner and saw it hovering for a minute before I brought it down. Anyway, I guess this is the ups and downs of flying.

2017-7-22
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

As long as you know you are NOT doing anything wrong, then don't GAF!
2017-7-23
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.4
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-7-23 09:11
As long as you know you are NOT doing anything wrong, then don't GAF!

Yep, agreed.
2017-7-23
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

It happened to me couple of times when they try to be smart and just I know my rights and go mind your FB. They just put the face and put their tail between their legs and turned around and ..."bye bye - baby - bye bye" lol

2017-7-23
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4780 ft
Canada

It makes things very uncomfortable for me.  I'm a woman and I really don't like confrontations.  I've hardly been in any areas where I might encounter people but seems every single time I am, there is someone who gives me a dirty look.  I even had one woman stand about 20 yards back from me on her phone and you could tell she was talking about the drone just by her body language.  I know the rules.  I follow the rules.  But I'm not enjoying flying unless I'm in the middle of nowhere.  It's sad but the truth.
2017-7-25
Use props
STRIDE8
Captain
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

I guess people think they are soo important and think that you are spying on them  GTFOH..
2017-7-25
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

haters will be haters - whether its drones or something/anything else. They are a tiny minority - everyone else is like, hey cool, whats its range, is it work or a hobby etc.
But those few and their misery really take a bunch of enjoyment out of a flying day.
I prefer to fly where less humans are likely to be around because even the many nice people distract me from focusing on flying which can quickly lead to an flying oversight  eg, drifiting into a tree or not noticing a wind speed increase or approaching seagulls ect.
for me - less humans , more enjoyment
2017-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules