Mavic lost in the woods for 2 weeks, found, and works!
1196 13 2017-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zep101
New
United States

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and something amazing happened today. Two weeks ago, I lost my Mavic in a tree at a place in SE Ohio called “Bong Hill.” (See my avatar.) I tried and tried to find it, but the trees were too tall and the foliage too lush; I couldn’t see anything. I went back 4 other times to no avail.

I should mention that in the last 2 weeks it has rained heavily several times. I figured there was no way it would ever work. I was super bummed – Only 1 month old and $1,000 lost.

Well today, I went out with a machete to its GPS coordinates hacking away hoping it fell out of the tree. And sure enough, there it was! Lying on its back, dirty, with a slug crawling on it, three blades damaged…I took it home, cleaned it up with warm paper-towels, and put it in front of a box fan on high for about 10 hours, rotating it, putting it in different positions. I read about putting it in rice, or using a blowdryer…but I was like “The hell with it, it wont start.”

I put a fresh battery in, turned on the controller, connected, held my breath…and the Mavic lit up. I did the flight sequence and all of the rotors engaged. I haven’t checked the camera yet, but all looks good!

Truly amazing! I’m completely stoked! Thanks for reading!
2017-7-22
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Awesome news, congrats on its recovery!
2017-7-22
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

Quick question, when you lost it did you turn on the alarm to track it down?  I've lost mine twice now and the beeping sound has saved the day.
2017-7-22
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

One lucky dude! Go buy a lottery ticket and don't forget to share the wealth!
2017-7-22
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

"Warm paper towels" LOL!
2017-7-22
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Always warms my heart when a bird is reunited with its pilot - even more so when said bird takes flight to fly another day!

Congratulations and continued Safe Flying.
2017-7-22
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

anthonyb Posted at 2017-7-22 15:07
Quick question, when you lost it did you turn on the alarm to track it down?  I've lost mine twice now and the beeping sound has saved the day.

Great story, brings a tear to my eye!

Regarding the alarm, how is that activated?
2017-7-23
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Always liked stories with happy ending.  Now fly it and check out the camera and let us know.
2017-7-23
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

how is the camera? have you got care refresh?
good luck
2017-7-23
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

KryptoNyte Posted at 2017-7-23 15:19
Great story, brings a tear to my eye!

Regarding the alarm, how is that activated?

You have to enable it in Find My Drone from the Go App.
2017-7-23
Use props
out2sea71
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

That is great.  I am happy you found it.  I live in a highly wooded area and I worry about the same sort of problem. I hope you are up and flying again soon.
2017-7-23
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

Camera footage, anything, inquiring minds want to know! (So happy you got your bird back!)
2017-7-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It's lucky that you have found it. Please check the camera and test the performance first. If there is any further issue, please refer to the link below to contact the support to start a repair case.  http://www.dji.com/support
2017-7-30
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Congrats! Have you posted the crash video yet?
2017-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules