DJI Go 4 Compatibility Issues with Android? Choppy/Very Laggy Video
3716 9 2017-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
peat_s
New
Flight distance : 249659 ft
United States

So I have an iPhone 6, and have been using the Mavic Pro for about 4 months now, and it has worked great. I got tired of having to remove my case every time I wanted to use it, so I bought a Galaxy S5 to dedicate to the Mavic (no cell activation, just using WiFi). When using the S5, the video gets real choppy, and sometimes will just freeze for a long period of time while flying. I was not flying more than 500 feet away, and the video never got better as I brought it back to me. Antennas on RC are adjusted correctly. The app always shows that I am connected. Thinking it was a bad cable, I tried 6 different cables, including the short one that came with it, and plugs into the side of the RC, as well as ones that plug into the USB port on the back. I immediately tried my iPhone again to see if was interference, and the iPhone worked fine. I shut off the cell signal on the iPhone, and tried it again using just the WiFi, and the video still worked just fine. I even used a lightening cable from the iPhone to the USB port on the back of the RC, and it still worked flawlessly.
I borrowed my girlfriend’s android tablet, and had the exact same issues as the S5. All 3 devices have the latest DJI Go 4 installed and have all been updated, as well as the Mavic’s firmware. In all cases, I never lost control from the RC itself. Are there known compatibility issue with the Android devices?

The devices I used are:
iPhone 6 / iOS 10.3.3
Android Phone: Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V) / 6.0.1 Marshmallow
Android Tablet:  Asus ZenPad (P01MA) / Android 5.0 Lollipop

2017-7-22
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

I guess you did not read all the post about Android??? Stick with the IOS it will take a second to take the case off compare to the heart ache and frustration...
2017-7-22
Use props
bdamstar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 222231 ft
United States

I have a Galaxy S5. Before the new recent update for the MAVIC and Controller I did NOT notice the issue. What I am seeing is the first 5 to 10 minutes the video reaction time is delayed by a 1/2 second - I consider normal. But then after about fifteen minutes of flight I hovered at about 80 feet on the controller and noticed that the video was behind by about 20 to 30 seconds.
2017-7-22
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

bdamstar Posted at 2017-7-22 20:11
I have a Galaxy S5. Before the new recent update for the MAVIC and Controller I did NOT notice the issue. What I am seeing is the first 5 to 10 minutes the video reaction time is delayed by a 1/2 second - I consider normal. But then after about fifteen minutes of flight I hovered at about 80 feet on the controller and noticed that the video was behind by about 20 to 30 seconds.

Had this issue already before latest update, but got worse now with latest update on ALL 4 android devices (2x Galaxy NOTE 4, Xperia  Z Ultra), which makes MP almost unusable for remote aerial photography.........................

Actually, since forced switch from DJI GO 3 to GO 4 everything is getting worse and worse with every update.

I was so happy with my MP in Dec. 2016, everything worked PERFECT out of the box with .500 fw and GO3.

Wonder if MP/RC can be reverted to .500 firmware (Hard reset) and again run system with GO 3 ???????? Anyone tried it already ? Just abstained from this procedure until now not to take the risk to brick MP ......................
2017-7-23
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Once I changed my Samsung S7 display to "Basic" and set the resolution to l920 x 1080 almost all my app disconnects went away.  the ones that were left probably had to do with flying high overhead and near things that could cause interference.  The lower display settings require less power (meaning less processing).  On my Samsung S2 Tablet it is flawless.  I know on another thread that an iphone user tried turning his display to lower settings and everything was better.
2017-7-23
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-7-23 01:03
Had this issue already before latest update, but got worse now with latest update on ALL 4 android devices (2x Galaxy NOTE 4, Xperia  Z Ultra), which makes MP almost unusable for remote aerial photography.........................

Actually, since forced switch from DJI GO 3 to GO 4 everything is getting worse and worse with every update.

Go into phone display settings and change from any advanced mode to BASIC, also if you have resolutions higher than 1920 x 1080 turn them down to 1920 x 1080.  Fixed lag, video blurs to phone/tablet, and almost all app disconnects.  This reduces processing required to handle video.  I use a Samsung S7, latest dji go 4 app and drone firmware.  Side note my wife's Galaxy S2 Tablet works flawlessly.
2017-7-23
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-7-23 06:35
Go into phone display settings and change from any advanced mode to BASIC, also if you have resolutions higher than 1920 x 1080 turn them down to 1920 x 1080.  Fixed lag, video blurs to phone/tablet, and almost all app disconnects.  This reduces processing required to handle video.  I use a Samsung S7, latest dji go 4 app and drone firmware.  Side note my wife's Galaxy S2 Tablet works flawlessly.

Tx for the tip, but did not solve problem since Notes 4 were all set to FHD-res from the very first beginning to spare juice ................
2017-7-23
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-7-23 06:54
Tx for the tip, but did not solve problem since Notes 4 were all set to FHD-res from the very first beginning to spare juice ................

By the way my Samsung Tab A (older) nor my small Samsung Galaxy S can not do DJI Go4 at all or with gigantic lag.  My wife's Galaxy S2 9.7 - 10 inch works great.  the difference appears to be processing power.
2017-7-24
Use props
fansae594cd8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3 ft
Australia

Having the same problem.  My S7 worked flawlessly, never had a problem   Now i have bought a Galaxy Tab S8.4 for the bigger screen and have had nothing but problems so far.   Video preview running 1 or 2 seconds behind and chunky artifacts.  Now if i turn off wifi on the Galaxy S it works again pretty well.     I want to have wifi on so that i can download maps etc from my phones hotspot.

So DJI why are you transmitting video feed on the same channel as Samsung is sending wifi.   

Very disappointed, maybe people are right and DJI+Android are not a good match at present.
2017-9-23
Use props
fansb2c0b78e
lvl.1

Hi guys
Great thread but need some clarification. I too have a Samsung S5 and notice the lag between what the UAV is doing and what I see on my samsung screen. However I can't find the "phone settings" you are referring to above to switch from advanced to basic. Can you please advise? Thank you
2018-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules