Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Coercion to crash in an innocuous situation
2354 37 2017-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

In a completely innocuous situation Mavik was forced by the program to commit crash.
I flew in a park under the canopy of trees, between the rare tree trunks.
I shot background videos for my new videos.
The flights passed at a very low altitude - no more than 2 meters.
And with a very small speed - 2-4 km / hour.
Mavik was always in line of sight, at a distance of not more than 30 meters.
I received a low battery warning. I decided to go closer to plant him where he was.

Made a small adjustment to the position for safe landing.
Pretty soon I received the following message stating that "the battery is exhausted and after 10 seconds return home."
And then, not in ten seconds, but less than two seconds - the message "Fly home!"
After this message Mavik sharply soared upward, not responding to my attempts to wipe him. He did not obey control!
And flew "tail forward", knocking down the leaves from the branches.
I flew not long - to the nearest oak tree. Mavik hit the trunk of an oak "tail and back."
Video of this crash:

A blow against the barrel knocked out the battery and two rear beams formed.
There are no external injuries. But the gimball now only looks down and every 30 seconds tries to calibrate.
Also, there is no GPS and Mavik exits GPS.
Video about his status now

I'm flying with Mavik for the first time and not the second time. And more than once I had a signal about a weak battery charge. After that, I always successfully returned Mavik to the ground.
I sometimes put him on a "return home." But more often the flight ended with his hands.
Mavik always listened to me. And I believed that if I run Mavik, then there will be no compulsion to "return home."
However, there was probably a failure. Everything turned out not quite true.
Now I'm without Mavik. Where to fix it is not known and when he can continue to help me - I do not know ...

I have already described the situation in support of DJI and very much hope for help.

2017-7-23
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss.  You need to read the Manual again, about RTH and the different conditions.  When it does RTH it climbs to the return altitude you have set, turns towards the home point flies there, orients the way it was pointed when it took off and then descends.  It does not fly backwards to go to homepoint.  Are you sure you didn't mistake the direction the drone was pointed and moved the stick in the wrong direction?  DJI will want to see your flight record.  You can play it back on your phone/tablet by opening the dji go 4 app and menu select flight record and then select the flight.  It will let you replay the flight including messages/warnings.
2017-7-23
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The MP behaved correctly. You did 3 mistakes.

First mistake: You knew you were flying under trees similar to flying indoor you should have put RTH to 6 feet.

Second mistake: you get warning battery low. Since it was close to you you should have landed it right a way.

Third mistake: you get warning MP going back home. You should have click the C1 BUTTON TO CANCEL. you did not and the RTH started.

Inregasrds to the gimball try to hold the gimball with both fiongers and try to move the gimball to either extreme position very slowly and GENTLY and do NOT
force it . Youmihgt need to do it several times and then do auto gimball calinration.

Good luck!

2017-7-23
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Vietnam

Dear Bill, Thank you for your participation in my loss!
I have a record. But I'm at a loss - how can I get this record out and show the guys from DJI?
There are all warnings on the record. It also recorded that the return home was a "tail ahead."
I completely agree with you - it's strange. Mavik must take off to the "height of return home" (I have 32 meters) and only then fly home.
Here everything is not so.
It would be possible to assume that the crowns of trees did not miss the signal of the GPS and Mavik got lost ...
But there were no reports of a weak signal of the GPS.

I am very grateful for your sympathy!
2017-7-23
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-7-23 08:31
Dear Bill, Thank you for your participation in my loss!
I have a record. But I'm at a loss - how can I get this record out and show the guys from DJI?
There are all warnings on the record. It also recorded that the return home was a "tail ahead."

how can I get this record out and show the guys from DJI?

They'll want you to sync the logs from your mobile device with their server, which you can do by going to the main screen of the DJI app, namely the one with the picture of a Mavic on it. From there you should click on the three horizontal lines in the upper right, then select "Flight Record". On the Flight Record screen click on the little cloud icon in the upper right corner, then select "Start Synchronization" and it'll copy the records from your mobile device to the DJI servers.

If you'd also like us to review the flight details then you can upload the TXT file for the flight from your device to PhantomHelp using these instructions, after which you should post in this thread a link to the flight data on PhantomHelp.
2017-7-23
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Vietnam

dronist Posted at 2017-7-23 07:52

First mistake: You knew you were flying under trees similar to flying indoor you should have put RTH to 6 feet.

I am grateful for your attention to my trouble!
============================
--------------------
      Probably "yes!". I agree. But the flights below, at a distance of 30 meters from the operator - it's so close. Further in my plans would be flying at a height of 120 feet. Why change settings ...
--------------------
Second mistake: you get warning battery low. Since it was close to you you should have landed it right a way.
--------------------
        I agree! I just came closer to see the landing site. And properly planted. But I did not have time.
        Look at time 0:19 low-charge message
                     1:35 starting the return home. I had less than two minutes to adjust and properly land.
--------------------
Third mistake: you get warning MP going back home. You should have click the C1 BUTTON TO CANCEL. you did not and the RTH started.
---------------------
I do not agree! Mavik - apparatus for a teapot. The kettle reads the tool once. I, as a classic teapot, were absolutely sure that if I actively manage Mavik, then returning home can not be activated automatically. All sudden movements should be previously displayed on the screen with an understandable "cancel" button.
But there was no return home! There was a sharp rise to a height several times smaller than the "return home". Immediately - horizontal flight "tail ahead." There was a failure. Error. Or a glitch.
==========================
Please, a little more about the restoration. I hold the two fingers with an umbilical and slowly rotate each axis to its extreme positions?
2017-7-23
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-7-23 09:32

Third mistake issue: The MP is set up to return home or hover if the RTH is activated. You can can manually activate RTH as well as the MP will automatically active the RTH in case of a low battery.

In your case, the MP activated RTH automatically because the battery was running low. But again you have the ability to press the C1
2017-7-23
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-7-23 09:32

Third mistake issue: The MP is set up to return home or hover if the RTH is activated. You can can manually activate RTH as well as the MP will automatically active the RTH in case of a low battery.

In your case, the MP activated RTH automatically because the battery was running low. But again you have the ability to press the C1 to cancel or slide the BIG YELLOW button to cancel. Again you only have few seconds.

In regards to the gimball , yes between two fingers very gently move it back and then forth but DO NOT FORCE IT beyond its limit.

Good luck!
2017-7-23
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry to hear about the crash, please sync the flight records on the APP, then send an email with your DJI account email and the date this occurred to support@dji.com, then the Support will look into it and create a case for you.
2017-7-23
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

dronist Posted at 2017-7-23 07:52

Hi!

You write that RTH should be put to 6ft. That's about 1.8m. However, the app shows the range of 20-50m in the RTH main controller settings.
I would be flying in the similar conditions and would like to avoid the same fate as OP encountered.
Can the RTH altitude be set to below 20m?
If not, maybe it is prudent to disable Smart RTH in the Aircarft battery settings (and remember to set it back afterwards)?
2017-7-24
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-7-24 01:33
Hi!

You write that RTH should be put to 6ft. That's about 1.8m. However, the app shows the range of 20-50m in the RTH main controller settings.

Can the RTH altitude be set to below 20m?

No, it can't. And a better approach than trying to cancel the low battery RTH in time would have been to just disable it.
2017-7-24
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Hi!

It is best to set the RTH feature to simply
"Hover in place" and not "Return to home" when flying indoors or under objects .
2017-7-24
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Vietnam

dronist Posted at 2017-7-23 09:44

In your case, the MP activated RTH automatically because the battery was running low. But again you have the ability to press the C1 to cancel or slide the BIG YELLOW button to cancel. Again you only have few seconds.

Dear dronist,
I do not consider it normal to RTH this way.
There is an intervention program in the management of Mavik. Therefore, a warning with an interval of 2 seconds is clearly not enough here.
Another important point.
User, who flies 2-3 times a week, and always puts Mavik on the ground with his hands, can not remember the button C1 "Cancel".
The warning should be on the whole screen, there should be a correct time interval and on the display there should be a button "canceling the return".
The situation is critical and possible consequences, which can be fatal.
I am sure that this is a flaw in the program. And this situation needs to be taken into account. In the next firmware of the DJI program.

But in my case, I do not see a correct RTH.
As you saw on my video, from the moment of the message to the start of the RTH - only two seconds. Maybe three. But not ten!
And I did not see the BIG YELLOW button on the display.
There was a take-off to a height much less than the "height of return home." My RTH high was seted 35 meters. And, further, very fast horizontal flight "tail forward".

Unfortunately, your method of restoring the hymn has not been successful.
Plume? Torn or out of the connector?
I also believe that the problem with GPS is also connected with connectors and trains.
2017-7-24
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Hi!

You can if you H the AC. If not,

Put AC to HOVER. Do not remove RTH in case you forget to put it back when you fly again and you will be really screwed!

2017-7-24
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Vietnam

DroneFlying опубликовано в 2017-7-23 08:35
как я могу получить эту запись и показать ребятам от dji?

Они хотят, чтобы вы синхронизировать журналы с мобильных устройств с их сервера, который Вы можете сделать, перейдя на главном экране приложение dji, а именно один с изображением Мавик на нем. Оттуда нужно нажать на кнопку с тремя горизонтальными линиями в правом верхнем углу, затем выберите "запись полета". На записи полета на экране нажмите на маленький значок в виде облака в правом верхнем углу, затем выберите "Начать синхронизацию", и он будет копировать записи с мобильного устройства на серверы Джи.

Thanks for the tips - very weighty!
Link to
отчет PhantomHelp
2017-7-24
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Vietnam

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-23 23:50
Sorry to hear about the crash, please sync the flight records on the APP, then send an email with your DJI account email and the date this occurred to , then the Support will look into it and create a case for you.

Dear Diana, Thank you! The letter is already with you. I would be grateful for any recommendations.
2017-7-24
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-7-24 09:59
Dear dronist,
I do not consider it normal to RTH this way.
There is an intervention program in the management of Mavik. Therefore, a warning with an interval of 2 seconds is clearly not enough here.

You should remember because you are the pilot and you need to know how to operate in an emergency situation.

Also the screen will show in BIG LETTER push C1 button to cancel RTH.

The short amount of time is due to the fact that time is of the essence so the RTH has enough time to bring your AC back safely.

All this will be avoided if you keep you eyes on the battery level at all time.

I checked your video again and you had exactly 10 seconds to cnacel RTH but you did not from1:32 untill 1:42 when the RTH started.

2017-7-24
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Vietnam

dronist Posted at 2017-7-24 12:07
You should remember because you are the pilot and you need to know how to operate in an emergency situation.

1. You mean 1:32 - the beginning of the message? For a normal response to a message, it takes 10 seconds not from its beginning, from its end. Is not it? I did not have 10 seconds. Time was much less.
2. I did not have any messages on the display, except the usual picture of the flight. This I remember for sure, because at that moment I was aiming my finger at the "landing" icon. And I was afraid to confuse her with RTH. Now I'm sorry that I did not record of the display.
2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-7-24 12:01
Dear Diana, Thank you! The letter is already with you. I would be grateful for any recommendations.

Fine, the support will reply your email soon, should you have any further questions about this, please provide us with your ticket number, we'll check it for you.
2017-7-24
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Russia

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-24 23:27
Fine, the support will reply your email soon, should you have any further questions about this, please provide us with your ticket number, we'll check it for you.

Hello, Diane.
Where can I see my ticket number? I would like you to help me here.
Support sent me very far - to my dealer.
I bought my Mavik on Ali Express, in the store
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1846695  
Order : 502019361156059 Date of sale 28.3.2017 Date of recive 05.5.2017

I'm in Krasnodar now, Russia.
I contacted the seller. He is ready to help me. But sending to China and back is hardly the best option.
2017-7-25
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Russia

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-24 23:27

My link to PhantomHelp http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/VLLLSET7QXEBR4DXCT2P/
2017-7-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-7-25 03:20
My link to PhantomHelp http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/VLLLSET7QXEBR4DXCT2P/

The log shows the message, "Внимание__Остатка батареи хватит только для возврата Домой.Немедленно возвращайтесь" (Caution: The battery is enough to return only Home.) at 9:29 into the flight and that at around 9:39 it started returning to home. I'm sorry for your crash, but this is the correct and expected behavior under the circumstances.
2017-7-25
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Russia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-25 03:24
The log shows the message, "Внимание__Остатка батареи хватит только для возврата Домой.Немедленно возвращайтесь" (Caution: The battery is enough to return only Home.) at 9:29 into the flight and that at around 9:39 it started returning to home. I'm sorry for your crash, but this is the correct and expected behavior under the circumstances.

If you paid attention:
1. Distance to the point of "house" - 130 feet. The remaining battery charge is 19%. You can fly back and forth many times. I do not think this situation is correct. His behavior
2. Мавик не долетел до дома. Direction!
3. Mavik flew not at altitude "flight  RTH"
2017-7-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-7-25 03:35
If you paid attention:
1. Distance to the point of "house" - 130 feet. The remaining battery charge is 19%. You can fly back and forth many times. I do not think this situation is correct. His behavior
2. Мавик не долетел до дома. Direction!

1. Distance to the point of "house" - 130 feet. The remaining battery charge is 19%. You can fly back and forth many times.

I'm sure you could, but there's a margin of safety; it doesn't wait until it would land with an estimated 0% battery before initiating RTH.

2. Mavik flew not to the point of the house.

It flew towards the recorded home point, which wasn't a house but was here. Maybe you just took the phrase "home point" a bit too literally.

3. Mavik flew not at altitude "flight  RTH"

That's right, it didn't. Because the log shows that when it started ascending you pulled back on the throttle to prevent it from reaching the RTH height. That's an understandable reaction considering that you were flying underneath trees, but you can hardly fault the Mavic for doing what you told it to do.

See, I have been paying attention. It was pilot error.
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-7-25 03:18
Hello, Diane.
Where can I see my ticket number? I would like you to help me here.
Support sent me very far - to my dealer.

We do not provide international warranty. I think it will be more convinienct for you to let the seller help you to deal with it, since you are in Russia.
2017-7-25
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Vietnam

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-7-24 09:07
It is best to set the RTH feature to simply
"Hover in place" and not "Return to home" when flying indoors or under objects .

In this problem, your advice is very cool!
Thank you!
2017-7-25
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Vietnam

In this problem, the rydfree41 tip is the coolest!
Everything else is an attempt to blacken the pilot and to lift the RTH into the sky.
RTH, like any intervention in the pilot's work, requires special clear warnings with the possibility of quick cancellation. Now Mavik does not have it.
It will be great. If the DJI  see this problem and get rid of it.
Thanks to all!
2017-7-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

dronist Posted at 2017-7-24 12:07

Believe me when it is DJI's mistake I will go down hard on them. I am always trying to help other pilots if they are right.

Nobody is trying to "BLACKEN THE PILOT"
your are TOO WHITE for that and it will take a lot to BLACKEN you comrade...

We are trying to let you know about the mistake that you did so you or anyone else reading the post don't repeat them. You had exactly 10 seconds to turn RTH OFF and you did not use it. You would still be able to cancel RTH. The issue here is you were caught of guard, you panicked and your AC crashed.

Good luck!

2017-7-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-7-25 06:45
Everything else is an attempt to blacken the pilot and to lift the RTH into the sky.
RTH, like any intervention in the pilot's work, requires special clear warnings with the possibility of quick cancellation. Now Mavik does not have it.

Talk about not paying attention; the only problem with that "coolest" tip is that it doesn't apply to your crash. He was responding to someone else's question and must have been thinking of / referring to Failsafe RTH, which is what occurs when the connection between the drone and remote control is lost. Yours, however, was a Low Battery RTH, and there's no "hover in place" option for that, though there is -- as I pointed out earlier -- an option to turn that condition into a purely informational message.

I don't believe anyone who's replied is trying to "blacken the pilot"; you're doing just fine in that respect and don't need our help.
2017-7-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It does seem very strange that 99.9% of pilots understand what's going on, maybe the 99.9% of pilots are all out of tune.

Look we all have made stupid mistakes, if what we learn from these mistakes make us better able to fly in the future, then we have learned a valuable lesson.
2017-7-25
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

On what percentage did you set "low battery warning"?

When I watch your movie, you get a warning on 00:18... you keep on flying for at least 60 seconds before the next warning (RTH in 10 seconds)... in the meantime battery powerd dropped dramaticly, so instead of waiting to RTH kicked in I would have landed the Mavic at the position is was instead of keeping it in the air...

I hope DJI will repair you Mavic as soon as possible...
2017-7-25
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Instead of throwing punches at helpful users and their advice, you should have RTFM.

I'll post an image of the paragraph from the English version Mavic manual, which addresses your particular issue in this thread.

RTH manual.PNG
2017-7-25
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Vietnam

Mari Posted at 2017-7-25 08:49
On what percentage did you set "low battery warning"?

When I watch your movie, you get a warning on 00:18... you keep on flying for at least 60 seconds before the next warning (RTH in 10 seconds)... in the meantime battery powerd dropped dramaticly, so instead of waiting to RTH kicked in I would have landed the Mavic at the position is was instead of keeping it in the air...

I only took Mavik to a clean place of the earth, free from bushes. This platform was already under Mavik and I did not have only one ... a couple of seconds to push "landing." Earlier I repeatedly planted Mavik from a distance to a kilometer. And there was no problem.
The dashing start of the RTH put an end to the flights in the next couple of months.
DJI does not support the service in Russia.
2017-7-25
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Vietnam

dronist Posted at 2017-7-25 07:21
Believe me when it is DJI's mistake I will go down hard on them. I am always trying to help other pilots if they are right.

Nobody is trying to "BLACKEN THE PILOT"

I did not mean to offend anyone here. English is not the language I think, and probably there was an inaccurate Google translation.
Everything that my colleagues pointed out is very instructive and useful.
For a couple of days of communication with you, I learned about my Mavik much more than three months of ownership.

And the council of the respected hallmark007 is the most useful for flying under the tree crowns (where a catastrophe occurred):
1. disconnect the RTH.
2. Do not lose Mavik from sight.
And Mavik will fly a long time
Good luck!
2017-7-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-7-25 10:27
I did not mean to offend anyone here. English is not the language I think, and probably there was an inaccurate Google translation.
Everything that my colleagues pointed out is very instructive and useful.
For a couple of days of communication with you, I learned about my Mavik much more than three months of ownership.

Alexei.. Just kidding with you   man no offense we figured it out that it is the google translator and not you...

It is advisable NOT to disable RTH just put it to HOVER in case you forget to turn it back on after you are done flying without it.
2017-7-25
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Russia

dronist Posted at 2017-7-25 11:41
Alexei.. Just kidding with you   man no offense we figured it out that it is the google translator and not you...

It is advisable NOT to disable RTH just put it to HOVER in case you forget to turn it back on after you are done flying without it.

Accepted! I appreciate your humor and your smart tips. Long and accident-free flights!
2017-7-26
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-7-26 04:04
Accepted! I appreciate your humor and your smart tips. Long and accident-free flights!

Добро пожаловать !
2017-7-26
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Russia

Finish this story.
I found a service near my house (unofficial (non-DJI  service  )), where the craftsmen returned the life of my Mavik for one day .
The diagnosis is a break in the control cable of the cardan suspension. New cable + work = 133 USD
2017-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules