Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OcuSync vs. Lightbridge
12Next >
18872 52 2017-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rafe Hracek
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9121 ft

United States

So, today i posted a thread today about whether to get Mavic or P4, and a guy named Chris said that OcuSync vs. Lightbridge would be a good discussion, here we go.

As we know the Mavic Pro is I believe the only drone with OcuSync, and the Phantom/Inspire Series having Lightbridge.
So, which is better?

I would like to leave it for the community to decide whether or not OcuSync is better. This is just an idea and would like to see a lot of people talkign to each otehr on this thread on which is better, have fun!
Single SelectVote, Total 123 people participate in voting
94.31% (116)
5.69% (7)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-7-23
Use props
Chris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30138 ft
United States

Found some discussions;

http://dji.droneinner.com/dji-technology-video-transmission
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ocusync-vs-lightbridge.20132/
2017-7-23
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Ocusync is a newer generation so I would go with Ocusync.
2017-7-23
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Having flown both the Mavic and P4Pro, Ocusync is definitely far more stable and seems to have greater distance.
2017-7-23
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Being that you have posted this on a Mavic forum I would expect that ocusync would prevail.  I own multiple DJI platforms (lightbridge & occusync) and I find the differences to be minimal.
2017-7-24
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

No experienced w/ LB and Osync is working for me so..........
2017-7-24
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-24 05:28
Being that you have posted this on a Mavic forum I would expect that ocusync would prevail.  I own multiple DJI platforms (lightbridge & occusync) and I find the differences to be minimal.

I find the quality and link to be close to the same except in distance . The Ocusync on the Mavic can far out range the Inspire2
2017-7-24
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-7-24 08:40
I find the quality and link to be close to the same except in distance . The Ocusync on the Mavic can far out range the Inspire2

I'm 100% okay with my $900 Mavic out ranging my $5K Inspire 2...
2017-7-24
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

No question about it. Occusync is a step up from LB.
2017-7-24
Use props
fansdf099539
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40863 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-7-24 11:36
No question about it. Occusync is a step up from LB.

I have a Phantom Pro 4 + and a Mavic Pro Platinum. I find distance and reception similar.

I wouldn't buy a drone based on the method of transmission. They are entirely different beasts.

And, they all are more than adequate.

People going for distance records may have a preference, but for the majority, other than the Goggle direct link there is nominal difference.
And, I didn't vote as this forum is going to give a biased opinion and the drones that use the different systems are unique in their characteristics. One does not buy a drone soley on transmission characteristics.
2017-10-27
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Own both MP and P4P and I think the MP outperforms the P4P in terms of stability, distance and video feed transmission. Gimbal well......P4P is king.
2017-11-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flying the P3A vs the Mavic I would say ocusync especially distance wise. Hands down.
2017-12-20
Use props
Koia Koia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772867 ft
United States

Occusync is in fact less latent.  And is the newer technology.  When the next generation of Phantoms is released.  I would suspect you will see occusync replacing lightbridge.  Additionally having not read all the comments that you will find that FPV Goggles users prefer occusync as well.  Lightbridge is a thing of the past.  TBH I don't know why they didn't just call occusync lightbrige 2.0 but I am not a marketing person.  
2017-12-20
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I've used both with my DJI goggles, on the mavic pro which I don't own anymore and  my P4P via the USB cable method. There was slightly less latency on OcuSync on the mavic pro, but the video quality is noticeably better on the Lightbridge on my P4P. Especially at 1080p30, the P4P downlink looks better than it did on the mavic pro. Not by much but noticeable. At 720p60, the latency even on Lightbridge is surprisingly good and it looks great, but I think the OcuSync had the edge in terms of latency.

I get the occasional disconnect/reconnect in flight with both, no idea what that's all about.

But at least with the goggles, the Lightbridge is noticeably prettier....
2017-12-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MP/P OcuSync out performs my P4P lightbridge HD in CE areas - by far!
2018-2-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There is no difference or very little, but if statistics were to be used there would be a lot more disconnects reported here on the Mavic forum and I would say at least 2 to 1 more disconnects on Ocusync. So is this how it should be measured .
2018-2-18
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

My P4P outperforms my MP in my experience so far.  The difference is negligible.
2018-2-18
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Yep occusync outperforms my lightbridge products although p4p is no slouch
2018-2-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-18 17:25
In my experience OccuSync has better range & less video artifacts.  My Mavic Pro RC performance is better than any of my Lightbridge models.

Now that makes sense and I too totally agree based on my experience of owning the MPP and P4P.
2018-2-19
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

United States

Not to go too far with terms like PCM and FHSS, something that let's say, Futaba had before DJI even existed, these are two evolutionary technologies. Ocusync was designed to be used with many devices (i.e. multiple controllers on same band, multiple goggles for passive listening) and LB still has somewhat better latency. Once we get into 20, 30ms latency range with either of technologies and DJI finally irons out these to be virtually interference free, that will be it. I guess we might even see some racers from DJI than.
2018-2-19
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-19 04:19
Not to go too far with terms like PCM and FHSS, something that let's say, Futaba had before DJI even existed, these are two evolutionary technologies. Ocusync was designed to be used with many devices (i.e. multiple controllers on same band, multiple goggles for passive listening) and LB still has somewhat better latency. Once we get into 20, 30ms latency range with either of technologies and DJI finally irons out these to be virtually interference free, that will be it. I guess we might even see some racers from DJI than.

I find my P3A more stable in windy conditions, is this due to Lightbridge system or ? I don't know, I do find my Mavic pro more accurate when doing a RTH tho. I really wish DJI would add a simple switch to allow the Mavic to fly in ATTI mode. For instance-
I;ve flown  my P3A in ATTI mode many, many times before getting the Mavic,  i think there is a good chance i would have lost my Mavic, if not having expierence flying in Att mode!
2018-2-20
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Note to self: time to buy the Mavic, want to join the myriads of drone pilots who can compare these two platforms. ;-)

Hey, it’s a valid reason!

Jeff
2018-2-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have chosen Ocusync, I can't speak for range because I never venture too far. But the wireless integration between the Goggles, the Mavic Pro & its controller using Ocusync makes it hard to beat.
2018-2-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-2-21 07:29
Note to self: time to buy the Mavic, want to join the myriads of drone pilots who can compare these two platforms. ;-)

Sounds like a good reason to me, and you will really appreciate the connectivity of the Mavic Pro (Not Air) with the Goggles and the 1080P livestream that can be had (But not in all recording resolutions or framerates, it will drop to 720P if required).
2018-2-21
Use props
Mafia16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

put WIFI to
2018-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-2-21 07:29

Be sure to wait for Mavic 2
2018-2-21
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-21 11:44
Be sure to wait for Mavic 2

So it’s not OK to get Mavic, then attempt to convince her that I should get Mavic 2? I’m confused now.

Jeff
2018-2-21
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-21 08:54
Sounds like a good reason to me, and you will really appreciate the connectivity of the Mavic Pro (Not Air) with the Goggles and the 1080P livestream that can be had (But not in all recording resolutions or framerates, it will drop to 720P if required).

Goggles are the real reason I want a Mavic. (2 enthusiastic thumbs up!)

Jeff
2018-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-2-21 11:56
So it’s not OK to get Mavic, then attempt to convince her that I should get Mavic 2? I’m confused now.

Jeff

You should never get her involved nothing good happens from that. Lol
2018-2-21
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-21 12:01
You should never get her involved nothing good happens from that. Lol

In her defense, she suggested the Goggles... but, yer probably right anyway. ;-)

Jeff
2018-2-21
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

United States

fans987d278a Posted at 2018-2-20 09:58
I find my P3A more stable in windy conditions, is this due to Lightbridge system or ? I don't know, I do find my Mavic pro more accurate when doing a RTH tho. I really wish DJI would add a simple switch to allow the Mavic to fly in ATTI mode. For instance-
I;ve flown  my P3A in ATTI mode many, many times before getting the Mavic,  i think there is a good chance i would have lost my Mavic, if not having expierence flying in Att mode!

P3A is more stable in wind due to its bigger mass compared to Mavic. And yes, Lightbridge hardware is heavier than Ocusync hardware so indirectly your P3A is more stable partially because of Lightbridge as well.
2018-2-23
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Hi.

I find OcuSync a bit better than Lightbridge when comparing my Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Advance. It seems that OcuSync has a more stable video link with less delay and less noise. However, the difference is very small.

I have never had an opportunity in and compare the range since flight outside VLOS is prohibited here in the country, as in most other countries of the world !!!

Regards Leif.
2018-4-30
Use props
fans4ef3e382
lvl.1
Flight distance : 409344 ft
United States

Phantom 4 Pro V2 now using Ocusync:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018 ... phantom-4-pro-v2-0/
2018-5-8
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

I must say that my p4p in 5.8 ghz auto does just as well if not better range then my mavic.. for some reason 5.8 kicks butt on the Phantom 4 Pro
2018-5-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well it looks like DJI agree that OcySync is better given that the all new Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 released yesterday has replaced lightbridge in the old P4P with OcuSync - which has increased the operating range by 500m in CE areas and allows wireless use of goggles...
2018-5-9
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10696686 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Now you have Phantom 4 pro v2 with Ocusync
2018-5-17
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I can't comment on Lightbridge because I've never used it. I think that OcuSync has the ability to stream 1080p with DJI Goggles wireless connectivity and that is better than Lightbridge transmitting at 720p and without wireless. Given the difference, OcuSync is better, but I wonder how the Mavic Pro compares to OcuSync 2.0 on the new Phantom 4 Pro V2.0?
2018-5-17
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-17 22:17
I can't comment on Lightbridge because I've never used it. I think that OcuSync has the ability to stream 1080p with DJI Goggles wireless connectivity and that is better than Lightbridge transmitting at 720p and without wireless. Given the difference, OcuSync is better, but I wonder how the Mavic Pro compares to OcuSync 2.0 on the new Phantom 4 Pro V2.0?

I hear the Inspire 2 has less range than the Mavic Pro, which indicates OcuSync is better than Lightbridge. Even though the Inspire 2 sells for double the price, the Mavic Pro apparently holds the title in terms of range, connectivity, and video transmission.
2018-5-17
Use props
Cogitare
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131713 ft

OcuSync is a superior transmission system for the drone hobbyist. But the reason they chose to go with Lightbridge 2.0 on the Inspire was because of its capability to broadcast television etc. Lightbridge can also send two video feeds at the same time as seen on the Inspire 2. The reason P4 didn't have it was because it wasn't invented back then, that's why they are fixing it with DJI Phantom 4 PRO 2.0. Long story short, Ocusync = Best for the average consumer; Lightbridge = Best for broadcasting, film sets, and other professional work.
2018-5-19
Use props
dronto
lvl.4
Singapore

very interesting discussion..thanks all
2018-7-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules