Testing ND Filters and why you need them for the Mavic Pro!
1868 9 2017-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoeCec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17DOiTf4VWM&feature=youtu.be

In this video I am Testing ND Filters and why you need them on the Mavic Pro! ND filters are nothing new to photography, and in fact are a necessity if you are wanting to create a cinematic, buttery smooth film look. I go over my 3 heavily used ND stops and what you need to know about setting the shot according to your histogram. Whether you go with the polar pro, taco-RC filters or perhaps another brand of your fancy, you can rest assured you will get great quality footage at the proper settings and ND filter.

Mavic ND Filters: http://amzn.to/2tqTF3S
or http://amzn.to/2ucwvkY

ND 4 = two stop reduction
ND 8 = three stops reduction
ND 16 = four stops
ND 32 = five stops

The ND filters allow you to maintain more of a cinematic motion blur to the footage.

The ideal shutter rate is half the inverse of the shooting rate. So if you’re shooting at 24 fps, the inverse is 1/24. Half of that inverse is 1/48. Since the Mavic doesn't offer 1/48 you can select 1/50. Or for 30fps, the inverse is 1/30 and a half that is 1/60. Most cameras don’t have a 48 shutter setting, so most people go with 50 or 60 so that the footage has a distinctive cinematic motion blur.The general rule of thumb is to try to shoot at 24 frames per second or fps. This gives more of a film-like look, while 30 fps produces more of a “video” style of footage. But the shutter rate you select with that 24 fps plays a huge role in the overall look of the final product. If it’s too high, it can give the footage almost a brittle look. On sunny days, that’s a problem. In the absence of an ND filter, the shutter rate will jump into high gear in auto (or you’ll be forced to crank it manually), in order to obtain the correct exposure.

2017-7-23
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Quite a good explanation. I am sure there will be many users who find this information helpful.
2017-7-23
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I've been doing photography for some time, and the use case for ND filters there is a bit different there. Thank you for bringing you the videography explanation for their use and for the explanation of the shutter speed/fps ratios.
2017-7-24
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-23 22:02
Quite a good explanation. I am sure there will be many users who find this information helpful.

Thank you.
2017-7-24
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-7-24 00:30
I've been doing photography for some time, and the use case for ND filters there is a bit different there. Thank you for bringing you the videography explanation for their use and for the explanation of the shutter speed/fps ratios.

Thanks for watching!
2017-7-24
Use props
DonBishop
lvl.2
United States

I have an aftermarket set of ND filters that overload the gimbal at start up.  I have to go through the start up process, then put the ND filter on.  Does this issue happen with the DJI ND filters?
2017-7-29
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DonBishop Posted at 2017-7-29 11:42
I have an aftermarket set of ND filters that overload the gimbal at start up.  I have to go through the start up process, then put the ND filter on.  Does this issue happen with the DJI ND filters?

I'm not sure. The ND filters I use are Taco RC.
2017-7-30
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I still yet have to purchase me some.  Thanks.
2017-7-30
Use props
PROMOLOZO
lvl.1
United States

Ive been hesitant on buying just yet because of all the posts ive seen elsewhere about the filters getting stuck or hard to remove. Wish they had one with a rubber connection
2017-7-30
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PROMOLOZO Posted at 2017-7-30 13:35
Ive been hesitant on buying just yet because of all the posts ive seen elsewhere about the filters getting stuck or hard to remove. Wish they had one with a rubber connection

The ones I purchased have almost like a felt or spongey inner liner that offers a secure pressure fit. If it were rubber they would never come off and would damage your Mavic camera more than likely. here's what i use. http://amzn.to/2uP97bM
2017-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules