Can a P3S be upgraded with a 4K camera?
695 8 2017-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RSanJuan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2188 ft
United States

My son's P3S was damaged this past weekend.  One of his friends accidently sat on it it.  After checking the drone closely the only damage found appears to be to the camera mechanism itself.  They decided to order a new camera but want to replace the original 2.7k camera with a 4k version.  Is this possible?  Will they actually be able to simply replace the 2.7k with a 4k or is there more involved, and if so, what?  Any advice would be appreciated.
2017-7-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No ... it's not compatible
2017-7-24
Use props
RSanJuan
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-24 13:42
No ... it's not compatible

Thanks Labroides.  I assumed it wouldn't work.  So since I'm the dad (aka: knows nothing) and my son (aka: knows everything) can you please provide more details?  Is the issue that it won't physically fit, or that the app won't work properly, or a combination of things?
2017-7-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

RSanJuan Posted at 2017-7-24 14:37
Thanks Labroides.  I assumed it wouldn't work.  So since I'm the dad (aka: knows nothing) and my son (aka: knows everything) can you please provide more details?  Is the issue that it won't physically fit, or that the app won't work properly, or a combination of things?

It's a combination.
But the obvious issue is that the connectors are different and won't fit.
2017-7-24
Use props
RSanJuan
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-24 14:51
It's a combination.
But the obvious issue is that the connectors are different and won't fit.

Thanks again Labroides.  Much appreciated.
2017-7-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Like Labroides mentioned, 4K camera is not compatible with Phantom 3S, it is the hardware issue. Besides, we do not recommend repairing and adapting by users, since the damage caused by unauthorized modification, disassembly, or shell opening not in accordance with official instructions or manuals will not be covered by warranty according to DJI After-Sales policy. Thank you for your understanding.
2017-7-24
Use props
RSanJuan
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-24 18:45
Like Labroides mentioned, 4K camera is not compatible with Phantom 3S, it is the hardware issue. Besides, we do not recommend repairing and adapting by users, since the damage caused by unauthorized modification, disassembly, or shell opening not in accordance with official instructions or manuals will not be covered by warranty according to DJI After-Sales policy. Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks DJI Thor.  That's exactly how I felt.  Just needed to confirm my assumptions in order to convince my son that his plan would not work.
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

RSanJuan Posted at 2017-7-25 16:22
Thanks DJI Thor.  That's exactly how I felt.  Just needed to confirm my assumptions in order to convince my son that his plan would not work.

You are welcome. I personally also feel a pity for that. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at any time, we're glad to help.
2017-7-25
Use props
fansd77b4cd0
lvl.2
New Zealand

Sounds like it's time for an upgrade ;)
2017-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules