Dead sticking
773 10 2017-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans07161305
New
Flight distance : 26585 ft
United States

Have others had an issue of dead sticking?  Once the propellers are started the Mavic Pro erractically flys on it's own without the pilots ability to control it.
2017-7-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Though I've not heard the phrase "dead sticking" used in this context before, what you described sounds a bit like what can happen when you take off from a geomagnetically distorted location. It might help us to better understand what happened if you post a link to a flight log from a flight where this happened. Or, for a more detailed analysis, extract the DAT file from the flight, upload it to DropBox, and provide a link to it in this thread. The instructions for retrieving the DAT file from your Mavic can be found here.
2017-7-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Always make sure you are NOT taking off from concrete slab, close to metals on you or at least 6 feet radius away from the AC, other phone, metal wallets, keys etc... Also always let it hover for a minute or two, turning it around in all direction and making sure it is stable then take off, otherwise land it move to another area and do the same thing again. If it continue than do  COLD IMU calibration.
2017-7-25
Use props
fans07161305
New
United States

The flight data has been shared with DJI and they claim that it was piloting error.  It might be true that magnetism was an influencing factor but my piloting was no different then any other flight I had taken previous to this incident.  The Mavic banged around causing damage to it and luckily no damage to people.  It nearly ended up in a pool.
2017-7-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

fans07161305 Posted at 2017-7-25 13:19
The flight data has been shared with DJI and they claim that it was piloting error.  It might be true that magnetism was an influencing factor but my piloting was no different then any other flight I had taken previous to this incident.  The Mavic banged around causing damage to it and luckily no damage to people.  It nearly ended up in a pool.

It might be true that magnetism was an influencing factor but my piloting was no different than any other flight I had taken previous to this incident

That may very well be; sometimes you can get away with launching from a geomagnetically distorted site without any noticeable effects, but a minor change in orientation or location can have a big impact on the outcome of the flight.

In any case, if you believe that DJI's analysis was incorrect then your best bet is to share the flight data with us. I'm guessing you don't have the DAT file from the flight (which was stored on the Mavic itself), but unless you installed the Go app from your mobile device the TXT file will still be there.
2017-7-25
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I don't believe the term dead sticking is correct. In both model aircraft and full size aircraft, a dead stick landing is one where the engine has quit.
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just to verify, do you mean the drone is drifting during flight? If so, please calibrate the IMU after powering on the drone, and then fly it up to 2.5 meters in a benign GPS signal environment.
Besides, you can also calibrate the vision positioning system via DJI Assistant 2.
We got the IMU and vision positioning system tutorial for your reference:

Please keep us updated if the problem persists, thank you.
2017-7-26
Use props
fans07161305
New
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-25 13:34
It might be true that magnetism was an influencing factor but my piloting was no different than any other flight I had taken previous to this incident

That may very well be; sometimes you can get away with launching from a geomagnetically distorted site without any noticeable effects, but a minor change in orientation or location can have a big impact on the outcome of the flight.

All of this data was shared and I am awaiting a response.  I have been on the phone no less then four times over the past 3.5 weeks and still have no resolution.  DJI has the drone.
2017-7-26
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

fans07161305 Posted at 2017-7-26 03:45
All of this data was shared and I am awaiting a response.  I have been on the phone no less then four times over the past 3.5 weeks and still have no resolution.  DJI has the drone.

DJI has the drone.

In that case you obviously won't be able to retrieve the DAT file, but you probably still have a copy of the TXT file stored on your mobile device. If you decide to share it with us then we might be able to offer some insight into what happened, but otherwise there's not much anyone on here will be able to do for you. Good luck.
2017-7-26
Use props
fans07161305
New
United States

Not drifting but flying erratically bouncing around in all directions.
2017-7-26
Use props
fans07161305
New
United States

And the drone was all calibrated before this incident.  The IMU included.
2017-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules