Android 8?
2890 16 2017-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
twarg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27792 ft
Sweden

Does the latest version of DJI GO work correctly with Android 8?
I have tried the first two previews, but the screen orientation was wrong on both. Instead of throwing myself over preview 3, I thought I'd ask here first.

https://developer.android.com/preview/overview.html#timeline

Happy for useful answers.

/T
2017-7-25
Use props
Krevvy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77493 ft
United Kingdom

Well DJI go "working" on any version of android is a tricky term..

I've used mine with a Google pixel running android 8 Dev preview 3... Which ran as well as can be expected.
Usually an app crash every flight.. but that's to be expected from the poorly developed app.

I since bought an iPad mini 4 and zero crashes since.

2017-7-25
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

Seems fine on the latest preview build for me.
Then again its perfectly fine on a final updated Nexus 7 2013 (Android 6 based) and Nexus 5X (7 and 8 preview) as well with no crashes.

2017-7-25
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

People are getting CPU overloaded messages and Ipad is overheated, does it not affect IPad mini?
2017-7-25
Use props
AndrewF403
lvl.3
Flight distance : 543110 ft
Ukraine

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
DJI Go 4 barely works on Android 7 that was released almost a year ago. Unfortunately, I don't think we can expect Go 4 to work correctly on a technically unreleased OS.

I still have to use separate phone downgraded to Android 6 to fly.
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

May I know what mobile device are you using and could you please provide a screenshot of your device?
2017-7-26
Use props
twarg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27792 ft
Sweden

I'm using a Nexus 6P. Sorry for not mentioning that in the OP.
Since I've downgraded after each Preview, I don't have a screenshot, but basically, the app is running in portrait mode instead of landscape.

Also noticed that Preview 4 was released about the same time I wrote my first post. Perhaps..
2017-7-26
Use props
Krevvy
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DTK Posted at 2017-7-25 17:08
People are getting CPU overloaded messages and Ipad is overheated, does it not affect IPad mini?

I've not had this issue.
2017-7-26
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

What Android 8?  Just tried doing software update and there wasn't one available.  My Samsung S7 last update was Jun 29 2017 G930VVRUABQF2 and it says in About Phone:  Android version 7.0
Info from CNet  https://www.cnet.com/news/google ... 8-0-version-number/

So I guess you are a beta tester?
2017-7-26
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

Not all android phones get the newest updates at the same time... even if there are the same model/brand... Android 7 just arrived so will take some time to get to 8....
2017-7-26
Use props
Krevvy
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-7-26 10:00
What Android 8?  Just tried doing software update and there wasn't one available.  My Samsung S7 last update was Jun 29 2017 G930VVRUABQF2 and it says in About Phone:  Android version 7.0
Info from CNet  https://www.cnet.com/news/google-bestows-android-o-with-the-8-0-version-number/

Nexus and pixels are eligible to register for the dev preview..
I skipped previews 1&2 but dived in with dev preview 3 on my pixel xl... Primarily as I wanted the new aptx Bluetooth codec for use with my arcam miniblink dac..
It's rock solid for everything (except dji obviously) and just got the last dev preview 4 last night... Public release of 8.0  (android octopus) is due very soon.
Samsung etc. devices may see it next year.
2017-7-26
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Krevvy Posted at 2017-7-26 10:58
Nexus and pixels are eligible to register for the dev preview..
I skipped previews 1&2 but dived in with dev preview 3 on my pixel xl... Primarily as I wanted the new aptx Bluetooth codec for use with my arcam miniblink dac..
It's rock solid for everything (except dji obviously) and just got the last dev preview 4 last night... Public release of 8.0  (android octopus) is due very soon.

Thanks -- testers like you are important, so that the rest of  us benefit from your experiences good & bad.
2017-7-27
Use props
Krevvy
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-7-27 06:02
Thanks -- testers like you are important, so that the rest of  us benefit from your experiences good & bad.

I don't use my pixel XL anymore with the mavic.. got sick of the numerous app crashes and did something I never thought I ever would.. got an apple tablet!

Glad I did. It's way more stable (DJI only).. larger screen.. better battery/doesn't draw as much power from the controller..
Phone is free to be used as a phone.
I don't have any issues with the pixel XL for anything else, it's only with DJI go.

But there are downsides to the apple iPad mini 4..
WiFi only iPad mini 4 has no GPS so you cant use return to come troller
iOS you cannot cache maps like android (need to tether to phone)
Larger device to carry around

If DJI confirm they have fixed anything I may give it another go on my phone for testing.. but to be honest the iPad mini is so much better/stable for flying with.
2017-7-27
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Krevvy Posted at 2017-7-27 06:57
I don't use my pixel XL anymore with the mavic.. got sick of the numerous app crashes and did something I never thought I ever would.. got an apple tablet!

My wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is excellent.  I have flown with it without any incident.  Tough to pry it out of her hand between facebook and Temple Run though.
2017-7-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-7-26 10:00
Info from CNet  https://www.cnet.com/news/google-bestows-android-o-with-the-8-0-version-number/

Android 8 is in the final preview release (so Q4 release).
However Samsung are utterly awful at providing OS updates, even flagship models are 9-12 months behind the latest version and they dont normally bother updating any device for more than a year.
You may well never see Android 8 for the S7 or if you do, dont expect it for a year or so.
2017-7-29
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2017-7-29 18:19
Android 8 is in the final preview release (so Q4 release).
However Samsung are utterly awful at providing OS updates, even flagship models are 9-12 months behind the latest version and they dont normally bother updating any device for more than a year.
You may well never see Android 8 for the S7 or if you do, dont expect it for a year or so.

Very interesting,  thanks for the info.
2017-7-30
Use props
Titus-Adrian Dragan
New

Romania

Hello,

Can someone tell me if the DJI Go 4 works with Samsung S7 edge , Android version 8.0.0 ? If yes which is the version?
I want to pair the phone with Mavic air.

Thanks
2018-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules