Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic spinning around with goggles
3130 26 2017-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Hi, wondering if someone can help. During some flights over the w/end with my dji goggles my mavic got into a spin and keeps turning round and round and round, at a quick rate of rotation.
This has only happened to me and my mavic since i have my goggles.
Anyone experianced this and perhpas worked out why it is and how to stop the spin.
Second time it happened it kept spinning all the way to the ground - home point was next to a swimming pool and other rough terrain - it is might chalanging landing a spinning drone, but i got lucky - would really like to fix the issue though - any help appreciated, thanks.
2017-7-25
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
France

This is really weird dude! Maybe you had one of those "Exorcist Spinnout" episode?  

Just kidding! Did you turn off the goggles while it was spinning to see if the MP would stop spinning then you would know it is the goggles and not Exorcist episode?

Also try resetting the goggles and see if ti would work.

Good luck!

2017-7-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I've flown with the goggles quite a bit and never seen anything like that, but if you want to upload the DAT file and provide a link I'll take a look at it and see if I can figure out what happened. Offhand the only thing I can guess is that it had something to do with head tracking; was that enabled when this happened?
2017-7-25
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

dronist Posted at 2017-7-25 10:12
This is really weird dude! Maybe you had one of those "Exorcist Spinnout" episode?  

Just kidding! Did you turn off the goggles while it was spinning to see if the MP would stop spinning then you would know it is the goggles and not Exorcist episode?

hey dronist, thanks for yr input. to be honest it was such a freak out that i am not sure i remember exactly what i did.
On the second time i did try to switch the goggles off but at the same time i was taking them off my head and catching my glasses and then dropping them both so i am not sure if they did turn off or not.
Whilst i will certainly try that again next time i would much prefer there was not a next time.
2017-7-25
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-25 10:20
I've flown with the goggles quite a bit and never seen anything like that, but if you want to upload the DAT file and provide a link I'll take a look at it and see if I can figure out what happened. Offhand the only thing I can guess is that it had something to do with head tracking; was that enabled when this happened?

thanks drone flying - yes i believe head tracking was on both times. Sort of felt as though maybe i turned my head to far one direction and then it got into a spin - i tried turning my head the other way and also tried to stop the spin with opposite yaw - this did slow the spin but when i centered the sticks or my head again then the original spin kicked back in again.
I am going to see about the files - typically though i delete my files as my device has only 1.6 gig storage
2017-7-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-7-25 10:29
thanks drone flying - yes i believe head tracking was on both times. Sort of felt as though maybe i turned my head to far one direction and then it got into a spin - i tried turning my head the other way and also tried to stop the spin with opposite yaw - this did slow the spin but when i centered the sticks or my head again then the original spin kicked back in again.
I am going to see about the files - typically though i delete my files as my device has only 1.6 gig storage

I wouldn't worry about the TXT file on your mobile device because it may show anything particularly interesting if the goggles were the cause of the behavior you saw. On the other hand, DAT files are stored on the Mavic itself and will definitely still be there, at least if this happened somewhat recently. The correct DAT file will have a timestamp that corresponds to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens of megabytes in size. The instructions for retrieving a DAT file are here and if you decide to have someone take a look at it you'll need to upload it to DropBox (or something similar) and provide a link to it in this thread.
2017-7-25
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-25 13:12
I wouldn't worry about the TXT file on your mobile device because it may show anything particularly interesting if the goggles were the cause of the behavior you saw. On the other hand, DAT files are stored on the Mavic itself and will definitely still be there, at least if this happened somewhat recently. The correct DAT file will have a timestamp that corresponds to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens of megabytes in size. The instructions for retrieving a DAT file are here and if you decide to have someone take a look at it you'll need to upload it to DropBox (or something similar) and provide a link to it in this thread.

thanks droneflying - i will have a look for it after work today - yes the flight was recent, sunday 3 days ago -
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just to verify, are you using Head Tracking Mode for this case? If so, drone yaw will be controlled by Goggles and remote controller.
2017-7-26
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-26 01:34
Just to verify, are you using Head Tracking Mode for this case? If so, drone yaw will be controlled by Goggles and remote controller.

Hi Thor, thanks for yr reply. Yes i believe i was using head tracking on both occasions. When the spin started i tried moving my head the opposite direction - this only stopped the spin so long as i was looking extreme opposite direction- when i relaxed to center again the mavic went back into the spin
2017-7-26
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

i also tried using my yaw stick in extreme opposite to the spin direction which sort of worked but when yaw stick was centered again the mavic went back into the original spin.
2017-7-26
Use props
gilly4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73369 ft
United Kingdom

I had exactly the same experience, slow rate spin. Was not losing height so switched off the goggles and immediately re-gained control. Definitely a bug somewhere.
2017-7-26
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

If the sinning didn't stop when you returned your head to a neutral position (your starting position) and I assume you were not on the left stick, the goggles may need a calibration. The manual explains how to do this.
2017-7-26
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

gilly4 Posted at 2017-7-26 05:30
I had exactly the same experience, slow rate spin. Was not losing height so switched off the goggles and immediately re-gained control. Definitely a bug somewhere.

mine was a quick spin which made my second landing tricky- my take off point was right next to a swimming pool. since it was spinning so much i was wondering if its landing gps was also messed up so i did not want it to land at home in case it clipped something and landed in the pool - needed some where safer to land or crash it if needs be.
It is difficult to move a quick spinning drone as u only get an instant to make a movement before direction has changed again.
You also cant catch a spinning drone :-(
2017-7-26
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-7-26 05:38
If the sinning didn't stop when you returned your head to a neutral position (your starting position) and I assume you were not on the left stick, the goggles may need a calibration. The manual explains how to do this.

i  did a recalibration - found it in the menus - cant remember if i did that after the first or second time - will do it again before i next fly with my goggles - thanks
2017-7-26
Use props
gilly4
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just to add to above. I was on my second battery before I had the spinning effect. First battery flew with the goggles without any trouble. 3rd battery I flew fpv but no head tracking selected, controller only. No issues.
2017-7-26
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

gilly4 Posted at 2017-7-26 06:13
Just to add to above. I was on my second battery before I had the spinning effect. First battery flew with the goggles without any trouble. 3rd battery I flew fpv but no head tracking selected, controller only. No issues.

Since it was good for a while before the spinning problem began, it would seem that something went wrong, I'd try another calibration,  and if that doesn't do it (or if this starts again after a few flights), I'd contact DJI for a repair/replacement.
2017-7-26
Use props
gilly4
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Good advice, thanks
2017-7-26
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

Thanks for advise all - have flown 2 batteries on fpv today without issues.

Looks like the problem was with me when i took the goggles off WITHOUT switching them off first.
During flight i was in camera track mode - When taking them off naturally the tilt and direction of the goggles was adjusted and this caused the mavic to spin because that was the input it was being given.

Today i did the same again (take goggles off before switching off or going out of camera track mode - and again the mavic began to spin.
I then switched off the goggles and the spin stopped.

a few pointers learned.
1. Head tracking seems pretty fine tuned and any tilt or deflection from forward will register (of course) - unless the goggles are switched off or head track mode exited the goggles will continue to act on directional input (movement) whether on your head or off yr head.
2. If googles are removed from head but still switched on and still in head track mode then the more off centre your goggles are placed - compared with the center they were facing when on yr face - the heavier the right or left turn will be - hense my spin
2. switch off goggles before removing them form head (whilst in-flight)
3. Reset tracking can be done in- flight
4. When reset is not require - the option for reset is not available (it is visible but not accessable)
2017-7-27
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

hey thor - just wanted to point you to my update on this thread -  spin was user error - i was in head track mode - i took off the goggles without switching off first - taking them off caused input to the drone - hense my spin.
longer version is in recent thread post
2017-7-27
Use props
DennisMurry08
Captain
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

No..this just happened to me a couple hours ago...I was in head tracking flight and NOT head tracking gimbal. It was initiated correctly, Mav, controller then goggles. I took off with the goggles on and I noticed a slight drift to the left..at first I thought it was the wind as I did have a cross wind...it then began to drift further left and required extreme yaw to keep straight...I began to return home, manually, and about halfway back I was at full stick to stop on the yaw....I got it close enough so I could visually see it close up. I read this thread last night and good thing I did...with the googles on I moved full right and didn't get any response..I turned off the goggles and centered the stick. Wella, everything was fine....I continued flying 3 batteries but without head tracking...now that I'm home I will put it up on the bench and see WTF is going on..
**Update** I tried to recreate this issue in a controlled environment (fancy name for my work bench) and was unable to duplicate.... I tried pretty much everything I could think of...guess I'll have to wait and be ready for it if it happens again.

2017-7-27
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-7-27 14:53
No..this just happened to me a couple hours ago...I was in head tracking flight and NOT head tracking gimbal. It was initiated correctly, Mav, controller then goggles. I took off with the goggles on and I noticed a slight drift to the left..at first I thought it was the wind as I did have a cross wind...it then began to drift further left and required extreme yaw to keep straight...I began to return home, manually, and about halfway back I was at full stick to stop on the yaw....I got it close enough so I could visually see it close up. I read this thread last night and good thing I did...with the googles on I moved full right and didn't get any response..I turned off the goggles and centered the stick. Wella, everything was fine....I continued flying 3 batteries but without head tracking...now that I'm home I will put it up on the bench and see WTF is going on..
**Update** I tried to recreate this issue in a controlled environment (fancy name for my work bench) and was unable to duplicate.... I tried pretty much everything I could think of...guess I'll have to wait and be ready for it if it happens again.

hey Dennis - something i think i have noticed is that when flying with goggles sometimes my sitting posture slips into a bit of a slouch and this small posture adjustment seems to affect my googles and its tracking mechanisms.
So - check yr posture -- maybe this helps a bit.
Also check out the RESET function in the setting menu (2 fingers swipe down - as if going to head tracking - it is the last option in the top line of function - just hit reset- mine took less than a second to reset - produced a quick shudder and then felt as though it was reset again
2017-7-27
Use props
DennisMurry08
Captain
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good point...I haven't been able to recreate it but what concerns me is I was in head tracking view which should not have affected the controls. If I was in head tracking gimbal then movement on my goggles would affect my controls...so I'm not sure why that happened....the only thing I could think of is when I lowered my goggles I might have touched the side panel...as you know it's pretty sensitive....maybe, just maybe it put the goggles into some kind of never never land....although I should have heard that dink sound....I'm going to try again today.
2017-7-28
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-7-28 06:17
Good point...I haven't been able to recreate it but what concerns me is I was in head tracking view which should not have affected the controls. If I was in head tracking gimbal then movement on my goggles would affect my controls...so I'm not sure why that happened....the only thing I could think of is when I lowered my goggles I might have touched the side panel...as you know it's pretty sensitive....maybe, just maybe it put the goggles into some kind of never never land....although I should have heard that dink sound....I'm going to try again today.

let me know how yr flying went - i had a spin this morning with goggles..luving it.
2017-7-28
Use props
fansd3c8cea9
Flight distance : 1939416 ft
United States

Same here. Not on my Phantom 4 pro though, I was thinking my body got turned from when I initiated the Googles and it thought I was turned that way.
2017-7-28
Use props
djiuser_M4xGHfZSYfnD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 155531 ft
United States

Had the same issue, Mavic 2 paired with white goggles, flying on Head tracking mode, started uncontrollably spinning on the way to land. Immediately canceled Head tracking on Goggles and drone stopped spinning become controlled and was landing appropriately. I appdate the goggles, but the story repeated even after that. Decided don't use this function until DJI fix it.
2019-7-13
Use props
ETomme
lvl.1
United States

I had the same problem.  You need to calibrate the goggles' IMU.  Tools-->Settings-->IMU Calibration
2021-11-3
Use props
ETomme
lvl.1
United States

I had the same problem.  You need to calibrate the goggles' IMU.  Tools-->Settings-->IMU Calibration
2021-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules