Any Resolution on Camera/ Gimbal reset mid-flight?
12Next >
4621 44 2017-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lK14A0pG4iEn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1353409 ft
United States

I continue to have this problem and I have not been able to find anyone who has found a resolution. If this is still an issue for people I want to make sure this topic stays near the top of the boards until DJI or admin can comment on how they plan to remidy the problem. The reset causes a ton of anxiety while flying and I've become less trusting of my drone as a result. I would love to have this fixed please!!!
2017-7-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Post a video, phone of tablet OS, app FW version etc so we can be able to help.
2017-7-25
Use props
lK14A0pG4iEn
lvl.2
United States

There isn't much to show. The video cuts out when the gimbal reset happens and the video preceding the reset becomes corrupt. The image transmission goes blank for 2 seconds than the image returns but the gimbal is moving in all directions and the camera is adjusting focus. It takes about 30 seconds for the episode to finish and then you can fly as normal. It was terrifying the first few times and now it's just a pain. I've seen multiple people reporting the same issue on a handful of different threads and I haven't seen anyone reporting that they were able to fix it. The activity talking about the problem seems to have faded so I'm wondering if people are just putting up with it now or if it's been fixed?
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

If the Mavic's gimbal resets midair, we recommend sending the drone back for repair. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back, here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.
2017-7-26
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-26 00:18
If the Mavic's gimbal resets midair, we recommend sending the drone back for repair. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back, here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area …

For me a camera reset did the trick, haven't had the issue since then
2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

cristianc Posted at 2017-7-26 02:05

Thanks for the feedback, this might be a try. But if the case persists, then the drone needs to be sent in for repair.
2017-7-26
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

What exactly is a "camera reset?"
2017-7-26
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

KryptoNyte Posted at 2017-7-26 15:27
What exactly is a "camera reset?"

It is when you reset the camera settings to factory settings and then go through the gimbal calibration process. This is done via the DJI GO App
2017-7-26
Use props
lK14A0pG4iEn
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, I will give this a try.
2017-7-26
Use props
lK14A0pG4iEn
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-26 00:18
If the Mavic's gimbal resets midair, we recommend sending the drone back for repair. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back, here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area …

My impression from others was this was more a software glitch that would eventually be fixed and not something with the actual hardware. I did see a post where people sent it in for repair but it was returned in the same condition. If I do end up having to send in for repair what is the typical turn time? I have a trip planned in about 6 weeks and don't want to risk not having it then. Thanks
2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

lK14A0pG4iEn Posted at 2017-7-26 18:55
My impression from others was this was more a software glitch that would eventually be fixed and not something with the actual hardware. I did see a post where people sent it in for repair but it was returned in the same condition. If I do end up having to send in for repair what is the typical turn time? I have a trip planned in about 6 weeks and don't want to risk not having it then. Thanks

Actually, our engineers had evaluated it and decided to suggest sending the drone back, we would take care of this. And I notice that you are going to have a trip, I would suggest that you can try to reset the camera and test will it work for this gimbal case.  
2017-7-28
Use props
lK14A0pG4iEn
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-28 04:44
Actually, our engineers had evaluated it and decided to suggest sending the drone back, we would take care of this. And I notice that you are going to have a trip, I would suggest that you can try to reset the camera and test will it work for this gimbal case.

I will perform the reset this weekend and see if that does the trick. Do you have any idea what the ETA on a repair typically is? Thanks
2017-7-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-28 04:44

My Mavic has now done this twice. It did not do this the preceding 126 flights, but now it needs repair? Doesn't this seem odd?
2017-7-28
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

lK14A0pG4iEn Posted at 2017-7-28 11:23
I will perform the reset this weekend and see if that does the trick. Do you have any idea what the ETA on a repair typically is? Thanks

Sort of depends but I wouldn't plan on getting it back before your trip...
2017-7-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

lK14A0pG4iEn Posted at 2017-7-28 11:23

It depends, but if you send it in and need to return faster, you can contact us to escalate the process.
2017-7-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-7-28 19:30
My Mavic has now done this twice. It did not do this the preceding 126 flights, but now it needs repair? Doesn't this seem odd?

You can check will it appear again. If the issue persists, I would recommend sending it in, thank you.
2017-7-30
Use props
lK14A0pG4iEn
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-30 19:36
You can check will it appear again. If the issue persists, I would recommend sending it in, thank you.

I restored factory settings on the camera and did a gimbal calibration and the camera still reset 4 times during 2 flights. I still have to check the footage. If all the files are corrupt then I don't really have a choice, I'll have to send in and hope to get it back but if the files are still good then I might wait and put up with it until afterwards.

Anyone else have a solution that worked that I should try?
2017-7-31
Use props
lK14A0pG4iEn
lvl.2
United States

lK14A0pG4iEn Posted at 2017-7-31 06:48
I restored factory settings on the camera and did a gimbal calibration and the camera still reset 4 times during 2 flights. I still have to check the footage. If all the files are corrupt then I don't really have a choice, I'll have to send in and hope to get it back but if the files are still good then I might wait and put up with it until afterwards.

Just a follow up to this post. I had about 14 video files and only 1 was corrupt. I'm still hoping there is another fix or software resolution. I'm not able to send the drone in for repair this close to my trip. If the issue persists when I get back I will have to send it in though. Anyone else have any suggestions on how to fix??
2017-8-1
Use props
beemerLT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 691601 ft
United States

Began having this happen with increased frequency.  I sent mine in on 7/11 and i received a refurbished unit on 7/25.  3rd flight of the replacement drone did the exact same thing. one other time, it did not do a full reset, but the second file in a 2 part split video had messed up metadata saying the file was created like 12/31/16 or something.  sending it in, just got me a 3month older bird with the same issues.
2017-8-1
Use props
lK14A0pG4iEn
lvl.2
United States

beemerLT Posted at 2017-8-1 13:34
Began having this happen with increased frequency.  I sent mine in on 7/11 and i received a refurbished unit on 7/25.  3rd flight of the replacement drone did the exact same thing. one other time, it did not do a full reset, but the second file in a 2 part split video had messed up metadata saying the file was created like 12/31/16 or something.  sending it in, just got me a 3month older bird with the same issues.

Woah, this is why I'm convinced it's a software issue and not a hardware issue. I'm getting the strange dates too. I don't think sending it in for repair will fix much. This problem started occurring right after I upgraded to .900 firmware via DJI Assistant. I plan on holding out a little longer and just dealing with it for the time being. Hopefully DJI is aware this is a problem and can patch in the next upgrade.
2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

lK14A0pG4iEn Posted at 2017-7-31 06:48

I would recommend sending the drone back for repair at this stage. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your cooperation.
2017-8-5
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Thor, do you know if DJI has ever actually repaired this issue on a drone that was sent in and returned?  So far, I've seen 2 or 3 people that have sent them in for repair, but all of them also reported that the problem still existed when their drone was returned.
2017-8-5
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Let's keep this up near the top of the forum.
2017-8-6
Use props
djiuser_bCVc56X
New
Flight distance : 175860 ft
Malaysia

Actually, I experienced this, twice. On both occasions I had forgotten to remove the gimbal lock then started up. I had to power down the drone, remove it then power it up again.
Upon powering up, everything seemed to initialize fine but after taking off and doing some manoeuvres, the gimbal would reset itself.
Since then, I've also done a camera reset and it has not happened again (for now). Will monitor the situation to see what happens. (I've since flown with, and without a filter on the front)
2017-8-6
Use props
WimBonner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1440617 ft
United States

I've had this problem happening very regularly for the past couple of months.

It seems to happen more often when the processor is doing more work. If a bird flys in front and the collision avoidance kicks in, for example.

It also seems more likely to happen at the time it might be filling up a video file and be at the point it needs to close both the mp4 and srt files and open new ones.

I'm looking forward to ios 11 and the built in ability to record movies of what's on the screen.

Wim
2017-8-7
Use props
Pitando
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68284 ft
Réunion

Sometime i have the same problem. When u push the record button the camera freeze do some strange movements and i need to wait +- 1 min to have camera again.
2017-8-8
Use props
Squeaky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 885440 ft
Australia

Please Help...... I have now done 85 flights with my new Mavic pro and have had no issus. Its never crashed and has been flown with caution all of the time. However today was like no ordinary day. First two flights no problems then on the 3rd flight took off as normal and all stats were correct and good. Signal was good and GPS was fine. Home point was updated so took off with perstion take of. Well about 2 or so min into the flight and taking pictures switching from pictures  to video. Then all of a suddern the Gimbal and camera start going balistic. Also the contraler becomes unresponsive. I mean what ever movement i did it was like the opposite. I manage to land as it was very close to me but now worried to fly incase it does it again. Any ansawrs or fixes would be good

Thank You
2017-9-9
Use props
lK14A0pG4iEn
lvl.2
United States

Squeaky Posted at 2017-9-9 22:37
Please Help...... I have now done 85 flights with my new Mavic pro and have had no issus. Its never crashed and has been flown with caution all of the time. However today was like no ordinary day. First two flights no problems then on the 3rd flight took off as normal and all stats were correct and good. Signal was good and GPS was fine. Home point was updated so took off with perstion take of. Well about 2 or so min into the flight and taking pictures switching from pictures  to video. Then all of a suddern the Gimbal and camera start going balistic. Also the contraler becomes unresponsive. I mean what ever movement i did it was like the opposite. I manage to land as it was very close to me but now worried to fly incase it does it again. Any ansawrs or fixes would be good

Thank You

If you're experiencing the gimbal reset then upgrading the firmware to .1000 fixed it for me.
2017-9-10
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Funny.   I didn't have the issue UNTIL I upgraded to .1000.

LP
2017-9-10
Use props
Squeaky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 885440 ft
Australia

I think i have the latest Firmware on my Mavic. it was only updated a few weeks ago.
2017-9-10
Use props
fans46399d72
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30190 ft
Indonesia

I MA ha ini the sake
2017-12-5
Use props
fans46399d72
lvl.1
Indonesia

I Am having the same issue. It is happening on almost every flight. I will record my iPad screen next time to capture the reaction on the screen. I am very keen for a software fix as I am in a remote place and it would be a long turn around for sending it in.
2017-12-5
Use props
fans46399d72
lvl.1
Indonesia

Here is my ipad pro screen recording of the gimbal reset issue.
2017-12-6
Use props
Serpentor30
lvl.1
United States

Any update on this issue?

I have recently been seeing this happen on my drone, for maybe the last 6-7 months. I purchased this Mavic on April 2017, and have taken care of this like a baby.

FW's are up to date, and everytime I fly, I make sure that the gimbal is auto calibrated, I do the compass dance, and I've lately been doing the IMU calibration process as well.
I also performed the forward and downward sensor's calibrations thru DJI Assistant, but can confirm that all that was for nothing. I am still getting the same issue.

Please DJI, your our only hope, fix this issue with this awesome drone!
Also, the video recorded only 3 seconds, but the problem was from way before then....

2018-1-8
Use props
Lebdecnez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 737241 ft
Slovenia

I have had this issue  few times about two months ago. Tried to send logs to DJI via Assistant but I couldn't because of some connection errors within app. Calibrated everything, reset camera, there was also firmware upgrade in late November and then it was fine. Until few days ago when it happened again. Later I discovered that from last gimbal reset camera was recording all following clips with 29,97 fps instead of 25 fps. I read somewhere on forum that one had similar gimbal resets when switching from PAL to NTSC. Maybe DJI engineers should test this theory. During latest gimbal reset I was not recording video, just repositioning drone for next shot. But I believe that reset happened during camera auto focus.
2018-1-10
Use props
Lebdecnez
lvl.4
Slovenia

Well, I can confirm now that my gimbal reset in flight happened because drone automatically switched recording modes from PAL to NTSC. I identified when that happened on my flight log. Also flight mode status momentarily switched from GPS to JOYSTICK. All footage filmed from that point was recorder with 29,97 fps and I wasn't aware of that until I noticed that clips were jumpy during editing because of different fps. When I tried to switch PAL to NTSC on ground, camera performed the same gimbal reset as it happened in the air (DJI app will even warn you about it).
So the real problem DJI engineers should crack is not why gimbal resets in flight, but why camera switches between PAL and NTSC standards automatically. I hope this will help with debugging. It appears more and more that this is a software problem. I am updating DJI Assistant 2 app and will try to post latest log to DJI.
2018-1-13
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Some interesting observation All my resets happened during summer (hot weather), from November till now I had none but might be a coincidence they where rear even in summer
2018-1-13
Use props
Lebdecnez
lvl.4
Slovenia

Tried to send logs, but since previous firmware update (not todays) there are no logs stored in my Mavic.
2018-1-13
Use props
Serpentor30
lvl.1
United States

Well,

I can confirm that this is still an issue, even with the latest firmware installed.

This video was take today 11-13-2018

I did a full compass calibration before taking off, and a gimbal auto calibration.
I also did a sensor calibration from the DJI Assistant 2, and this still happened.
Oh, and I resetted camera settings and formatted SD card...

DJI Please help!

2018-1-13
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

Serpentor30 Posted at 2018-1-13 15:35
Well,

I can confirm that this is still an issue, even with the latest firmware installed.

Do you have this issue often?
Do you have camera down/forward toggle active as a custom key or on the 5d button?
Maybe hit that function by accident?
Camera is just popping forward.
Was this in FPV or Follow mode?
I do not see a gimbal reset there, when the gimbal calibrates itself it is normally going haywire.
Another possibilty in that height is wind gusts hitting aircraft/gimbal.
The horizon was completely shifted, i had a similar effect on the gimbal/camera when i was rolling sideways fast a couple of meters in front of me and the front sensors spotted me and the aircraft braked hard and came to fullstop.
The force of the braking shifted the horizon in a similar manner.
It is hard to call the firmware/hardware faulty when you are not in close range of the aircraft to observe/feel all the factors.
If I had this effect once during a flight in that height I'd just forget about it, cause conditions were probably too harsh.
When and where was that flight?
Maybe you can check wind condition for your height on ventursky.
Just my 2 cents.
2018-1-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules