Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Over Temp Compass and GPS lost 2nd Flight @ 6min
12Next >
3511 52 2017-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1770289 ft
Australia

Second flight with Spark at 40m AGL.
Temp 18.4degC, Winds <2.4m/s, sunny clear skies
First flight 6min second flight at 6 min on return received over temp warning lost compass and GPS. Emergency land automatically employed, very fortunate I am using a benign location to test and train. No people or obstacles to cause damage. This is the second fail in as many days both on second flights. Is there a problem with cooling? The weather was good and temperatures were mild, it was not in sport mode.
I don't understand.
Confused
2017-7-25
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

whoa.... its winter in aussie land..  and you are having over temp warnings?       its summer here, it was like 32 C here  (about 90F)  and during my spark's short life it never had overtemp warnings.    just erractic behavior.

as for poor cooling maybe because all of our drones get warm during use,,,, but sounds like your spark has a bigger heat problem.
2017-7-25
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-25 17:43
whoa.... its winter in aussie land..  and you are having over temp warnings?       its summer here, it was like 32 C here  (about 90F)  and during my spark's short life it never had overtemp warnings.    just erractic behavior.

as for poor cooling maybe because all of our drones get warm during use,,,, but sounds like your spark has a bigger heat problem.

Yep I didn't think that it should over temp on a cool calm morning. Flying with RC controller and stable at 40m above launch point. Yesterday I had signal drop out and RTH at 130m clear line of sight. Bit of a worry when I wanted to make use of it for field work.
2017-7-25
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

SparkySurvey Posted at 2017-7-25 18:37
Yep I didn't think that it should over temp on a cool calm morning. Flying with RC controller and stable at 40m above launch point. Yesterday I had signal drop out and RTH at 130m clear line of sight. Bit of a worry when I wanted to make use of it for field work.

from my negative experience with my spark, i know temperature does play some role in it misbehaving. i just dont know what the link is or what all it impacts.  i haven't had mine overheat, but when it was on second battery and i wasn't giving it time to cool off, just quick hot swap and off it goes, i noticed it definitely was more problematic, less stable more prone to disconnecting or interference...   mine never overheated or flagged a overheat error.  but i have noticed worse behavior with more heat.
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Had you tried another place to test if it would be the environment's problem? I would recommend that you can power off the drone and leave it for about 15 minutes, and take it to another place for testing. Calibrate the compass after the self-checking of the drone.
Please keep us updated if the problem persists, thank you.
2017-7-25
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-25 18:47
Had you tried another place to test if it would be the environment's problem? I would recommend that you can power off the drone and leave it for about 15 minutes, and take it to another place for testing. Calibrate the compass after the self-checking of the drone.

Thanks for suggestions DJI Thor. The park is one of the best places I have found to safely test. There is usually very few people in the morning. There are WiFi hotspots provided by the city council and I tried the change of channel and frequencies this morning which may have been the reason for my previous loss of contact and RTH (I posted a link to the FL for this in another RC link loss thread). The over temperature issue is a little more disturbing given a very calm and cool morning and that I wasn't in sport mode or aggressively climbing. That the overtemp came with failure on GPS and compass was concerning. I did have the vision obstacle detection on which may be heating things a little also? I launched from a concrete block that was part of a stormwater system so that could have affected the compass I guess. I like the compact nature and 12Mp stills for field ecology sites but really need to know it's safe before putting it in a work plan.
2017-7-25
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-25 18:47

Sorry one other quick question. Do you recommend a maximum air time / ground cycle? Is this related to ambient temperature? I flew pretty much back to back this morning neither flight using more than 50% of the battery but the only time on the ground was for preflight checks and updating settings like WiFi channel etc.
2017-7-25
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-25 18:50
from my negative experience with my spark, i know temperature does play some role in it misbehaving. i just dont know what the link is or what all it impacts.  i haven't had mine overheat, but when it was on second battery and i wasn't giving it time to cool off, just quick hot swap and off it goes, i noticed it definitely was more problematic, less stable more prone to disconnecting or interference...   mine never overheated or flagged a overheat error.  but i have noticed worse behavior with more heat.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. Perhaps an accessory skin with some more ventilation holes might be the solution? Seems like there could be problems in Australia in summer though. I will give the airframe some time to cool between flights tomorrow and see how it goes. In the field it probably won't get the back to back flights because of all the ground data to be collected before flying but need to know it will behave safely.
2017-7-25
Use props
PascalG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274327 ft
Bahamas

Been flying it all week in 90 set and direct bahamian sunlight, two batteries in a row, no temp issues.

When it is turned on there is like a cooling fan that seems to come on,do you hear it ?
2017-7-25
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

PascalG Posted at 2017-7-25 21:35
Been flying it all week in 90 set and direct bahamian sunlight, two batteries in a row, no temp issues.

When it is turned on there is like a cooling fan that seems to come on,do you hear it ?

Yep can hear the fan and even hear it speed up when you land and prop wash stops assisting the cooling. There is a lot of electronics packed in a very small space so I am not surprised it gets warm. The size is a blessing and a curse.
I have been building a pre-flight check list as I have a background in other more military drones. I am even thinking about trying to get a flight log reader so that I can look at system status in relation to my flight profiles and settings. I love the compact size and the sensor is good enough to generate high density point clouds. Just being able to trust the system to collect data is all.
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

SparkySurvey Posted at 2017-7-25 21:23
Thanks for suggestions DJI Thor. The park is one of the best places I have found to safely test. There is usually very few people in the morning. There are WiFi hotspots provided by the city council and I tried the change of channel and frequencies this morning which may have been the reason for my previous loss of contact and RTH (I posted a link to the FL for this in another RC link loss thread). The over temperature issue is a little more disturbing given a very calm and cool morning and that I wasn't in sport mode or aggressively climbing. That the overtemp came with failure on GPS and compass was concerning. I did have the vision obstacle detection on which may be heating things a little also? I launched from a concrete block that was part of a stormwater system so that could have affected the compass I guess. I like the compact nature and 12Mp stills for field ecology sites but really need to know it's safe before putting it in a work plan.

Concrete may cause the compass interference, please try to take off on a plain and wide ground, do not leave the drone to stay in the ground for a long time after powering on, that may cause compass error, too. Do you have another battery? If you have, I would also suggest changing another battery for testing. Besides, just to verify, are you using RC mode or WiFi mode to flight during the second time?
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

SparkySurvey Posted at 2017-7-25 21:22
Sorry one other quick question. Do you recommend a maximum air time / ground cycle? Is this related to ambient temperature? I flew pretty much back to back this morning neither flight using more than 50% of the battery but the only time on the ground was for preflight checks and updating settings like WiFi channel etc.

There is no suggested maximum air time of the drone. But ambient temperature may affect the work of the drone sometimes. But the operating temperature range is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C), and you had mentioned the degree is about 18.4 degree, thus it might not that relate to the ambient temperature.
2017-7-25
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-25 22:19
Concrete may cause the compass interference, please try to take off on a plain and wide ground, do not leave the drone to stay in the ground for a long time after powering on, that may cause compass error, too. Do you have another battery? If you have, I would also suggest changing another battery for testing. Besides, just to verify, are you using RC mode or WiFi mode to flight during the second time?

Thanks for the support, I purchased the Fly More Combo on preorder so I have two batteries and an RC controller. I always fly with the RC controller because it gives me better (read more familiar) feel and control. I have only experienced the problems on my second flight to date. I am not range testing or pushing batteries to their limits. Longest flight 7min to date and in light (<2.5m/s) winds, elevation is effectively sea level. I am still getting used to controlling it without having to concentrate. How long is too long on the ground before taking off? I am going through pre-flight checks for batteries, compass, GPS, wifi interference etc before take off and this at the moment takes me about 2 min. I will get faster at these checks but I am not confident enough to just take off without checking everything yet.
2017-7-26
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-25 22:29
There is no suggested maximum air time of the drone. But ambient temperature may affect the work of the drone sometimes. But the operating temperature range is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C), and you had mentioned the degree is about 18.4 degree, thus it might not that relate to the ambient temperature.

Hi Thor,
The over temp was towards the end (I was actually returning the drone to land from 38m ALP) of my second flight at 6min. Cumulative flight time was 12 min with the two batteries. I simply did a quick battery swap and preflight check of compass, RTH height and location and wifi interference before taking off. As I mentioned and you pointed out I will try today with a non-concrete location to avoid compass interference. I am just worried about the overtemp warning happening with Compass and GPS failure. I know they don't all have to be related but I am not familiar enough with the system take multiple errors in stride at the same time.
Thanks again for your help
2017-7-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

SparkySurvey Posted at 2017-7-26 14:10
Hi Thor,
The over temp was towards the end (I was actually returning the drone to land from 38m ALP) of my second flight at 6min. Cumulative flight time was 12 min with the two batteries. I simply did a quick battery swap and preflight check of compass, RTH height and location and wifi interference before taking off. As I mentioned and you pointed out I will try today with a non-concrete location to avoid compass interference. I am just worried about the overtemp warning happening with Compass and GPS failure. I know they don't all have to be related but I am not familiar enough with the system take multiple errors in stride at the same time.

with everything upside down in australia, i how does a DJI spark even take off.. IMUs and compass must be screaming...

just kidding..

i would exchange it for a new one or return refund and replace...  see if the issue repeats..
2017-7-26
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-25 22:29

Australia is metric...18.4 degrees C.
2017-7-26
Use props
Arcicorsa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

I flight in sunny days.. Temperature in shadow is 26°C and more.. I no problem detected...
2017-7-26
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-26 15:15
with everything upside down in australia, i how does a DJI spark even take off.. IMUs and compass must be screaming...

just kidding..

Maybe that is the problem I took a couple of very careful flights this morning and didn't get any errors this time. Same temperature, everything upside down but I moved away from the concrete pad I had used yesterday as a landing and home point.  The 0.500 firmware update was pushed out this morning which listed mostly gesture control updates but there was a possibly useful mod at the end of the list. Just keep testing I guess.
2017-7-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

SparkySurvey Posted at 2017-7-26 16:44
Maybe that is the problem  I took a couple of very careful flights this morning and didn't get any errors this time. Same temperature, everything upside down but I moved away from the concrete pad I had used yesterday as a landing and home point.  The 0.500 firmware update was pushed out this morning which listed mostly gesture control updates but there was a possibly useful mod at the end of the list. Just keep testing I guess.

let us know!  i have to wait another week to get another spark to play with.
2017-7-26
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-7-26 15:44
I flight in sunny days.. Temperature in shadow is 26°C and more.. I no problem detected...

I was hoping this would be the case. I will lose enough days with the max operating temp at 40degC. With both failures happening on the second flight it may be a quick battery swap issue where cooling stops when the first battery is pulled and the electronics continue to heat a little further from latent heat. Restart on new battery may have difficulty catching up on the heat extraction? Wouldn't have thought so at 18degC though
2017-7-26
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-26 16:42
let us know!  i have to wait another week to get another spark to play with.

That's what I am afraid of. Planning to be in the field collecting data mid-August. A return for repair is going to take too long and I don't have the coin to stump up for a second airframe to get in the field. Oh well, will keep this thread posted with updates and hopefully it doesn't come to a replacement. Though being able to trust my Spark would be nice.
2017-7-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

SparkySurvey Posted at 2017-7-26 16:46
That's what I am afraid of. Planning to be in the field collecting data mid-August. A return for repair is going to take too long and I don't have the coin to stump up for a second airframe to get in the field. Oh well, will keep this thread posted with updates and hopefully it doesn't come to a replacement. Though being able to trust my Spark would be nice.

no i just mean in your personal use cases.   since you had an issue and now lesser a problem.. its worth noting if the problem comes and back or not if it was firmware or not.. etc etc
2017-7-26
Use props
Arcicorsa
Second Officer
Czechia

SparkySurvey Posted at 2017-7-26 16:46
I was hoping this would be the case. I will lose enough days with the max operating temp at 40degC. With both failures happening on the second flight it may be a quick battery swap issue where cooling stops when the first battery is pulled and the electronics continue to heat a little further from latent heat. Restart on new battery may have difficulty catching up on the heat extraction? Wouldn't have thought so at 18degC though

I let the Spark cool down, always cca 30 min between flights all time..
2017-7-26
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-7-26 16:54
I let the Spark cool down, always cca 30 min between flights all time..

Some people say it is just a battery swap. Thor recommended trying 15min cool off, it would be nice to have some sort of check, perhaps on start up that says that the electronics temp is high and wait? I realise the balance between spending money on dev vs getting a good enough product out there so that sales start coming in. Would think a temp problem would have a recommendation in the manual.
2017-7-26
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-26 16:48
no i just mean in your personal use cases.   since you had an issue and now lesser a problem.. its worth noting if the problem comes and back or not if it was firmware or not.. etc etc

Oh no worries about that. I have a little flight log book printed up to record everything. Comes from operating bigger 5kg class fixed wing UAVs. Track and check everything.
2017-7-26
Use props
LOKY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

OneMatt Posted at 2017-7-26 15:35
Australia is metric...18.4 degrees C.

US is one of the only 3 countries in the Galaxy that doesn't use metric system, why? beat me .... Is really annoying when every other country in the Galaxy uses metric system
2017-7-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

LOKY Posted at 2017-7-26 17:05
US is one of the only 3 countries in the Galaxy that doesn't use metric system, why? beat me .... Is really annoying when every other country in the Galaxy uses metric system

i use both because i used to travel a lot.   both have there advantages..  metric for being more precise mathematically more logical. but imperial system has the advantages for being more rounded and relative.
2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Could you please upload a screenshot of the warning? What mobile device are you using? Please export the flight log and black box data, upload them to dropbox, then provide me the link to download them, I'd like to forward them to our engineers to check what happened.
Here are the instructions:
1.Download the Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark website page, install it.
2.Connect the drone to your PC, run Assistant 2, then click "black box", you can get the file.
3. Then click "Upload Data--Confirm", choose the log which shows the situation, and save it to local.
Please upload both files to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.
2017-7-26
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-26 18:46
Could you please upload a screenshot of the warning? What mobile device are you using? Please export the flight log and black box data, upload them to dropbox, then provide me the link to download them, I'd like to forward them to our engineers to check what happened.

Thanks for the support Diana,
I don't have a screen shot of the error. It came up on the left side of the screen at 5m AGL returning from 40m pretty steadily. I have the log files although I think the blackbox only records a single file on save to local if the same folder is used? It may be complete or only from yesterday's flights. Sorry if this is the case. Links are here and the meteorological conditions and actions up thread.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oup8af7whlrzvib/WM100Export.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzsd3d ... 6_10-47-41.DAT?dl=0
2017-7-27
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

Sorry Diana,
The other piece of info requested. I am using an iPhone 6 for the DJI GO 4 App.
2017-7-27
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

Hi Diana,
This has been done as requested. I would appreciate any information you can provide on the errors. In reading the other posts on here I find a lot of people are getting  ranges in the order of the stated RC range. My concern is that I am getting an order of magnitude less range and barring yesterday I have had significant errors on my second flight on every occasion now.  I realise I am new to DJI products but I have designed, helped maintain and build as well as operate 5kg fixed wing UAVs and so I am careful and methodical in operating. Hope the engineers can find the issue and suggest a solution (even if it is PEBKAC)
2017-7-27
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

SparkySurvey Posted at 2017-7-27 18:05
Hi Diana,
This has been done as requested. I would appreciate any information you can provide on the errors. In reading the other posts on here I find a lot of people are getting  ranges in the order of the stated RC range. My concern is that I am getting an order of magnitude less range and barring yesterday I have had significant errors on my second flight on every occasion now.  I realise I am new to DJI products but I have designed, helped maintain and build as well as operate 5kg fixed wing UAVs and so I am careful and methodical in operating. Hope the engineers can find the issue and suggest a solution (even if it is PEBKAC)

Thank you for the info, I've forwarded them to our engineers for analysis, could you please also sycn the flight records, then provide me your DJI account email, I'll look into it , see if I can find the error message in the flight records.
2017-7-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

SparkySurvey Posted at 2017-7-26 14:10
Hi Thor,

You are right with fully pre-check before taking off, it is hard to say how long is too long, please take off the drone when finished the checking. Flight time sometimes related to the environment and use of sticks. Fly with caution and be confident, contact us if you find any abnormal things.
2017-7-28
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-28 04:32
You are right with fully pre-check before taking off, it is hard to say how long is too long, please take off the drone when finished the checking. Flight time sometimes related to the environment and use of sticks. Fly with caution and be confident, contact us if you find any abnormal things.

I am cautious with operation because I have an official license to operate from CASA in Australia. I can't afford to break the law. It is however very hard to be confident with the operation of the DJI Spark when I lose control of the platform less than 130m direct line of sight. I am flying it visually with the RC and not using sport mode. My interests are in aerial survey and the Spark was selected for the very compact size. To use on remote sites. I am interested in flying slow, straight, level, parallel flight lines and collecting HD video or still images at consistent intervals. The lack of a map view, lack of SRT file, poor collection of location data to exif and regular failures in benign conditions (18deg C, <2m/s wind) mean that the Spark doesn't collect useful data and doesn't operate reliably.
2017-7-31
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-28 01:22
Thank you for the info, I've forwarded them to our engineers for analysis, could you please also sycn the flight records, then provide me your DJI account email, I'll look into it , see if I can find the error message in the flight records.

Do you need the vision logs? These are very large files and I don't have an unlimited dropbox account.
2017-7-31
Use props
Arcicorsa
Second Officer
Czechia

SparkySurvey Posted at 2017-7-31 14:45
I am cautious with operation because I have an official license to operate from CASA in Australia. I can't afford to break the law. It is however very hard to be confident with the operation of the DJI Spark when I lose control of the platform less than 130m direct line of sight. I am flying it visually with the RC and not using sport mode. My interests are in aerial survey and the Spark was selected for the very compact size. To use on remote sites. I am interested in flying slow, straight, level, parallel flight lines and collecting HD video or still images at consistent intervals. The lack of a map view, lack of SRT file, poor collection of location data to exif and regular failures in benign conditions (18deg C,

Hello, I flight today in tropical temperature, 30°C in shadow. Baterry tempereture not over temp about 46°C .. I fight with Spark in wind over 5m/s and no have problem.. My last flight its about over 1500m with AC/RC link on 2.4Ghz in europe...

Flight log here: https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... d=POWERBattery_Info
2017-7-31
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-7-31 14:52
Hello, I flight today in tropical temperature, 30°C in shadow. Baterry tempereture not over temp about 46°C ..

Flight log here: https://healthydrones.com/main?flight=021c97cec8c1a3b1bc5c26897e3cda8a&page_id=POWERBattery_Info

Thanks, I had battery temps in the mid 20s for my flights. They definitely weren't hot, the over temp fail is really getting to me. I am also losing control at less than 130m direct line of sight. Which is more than 10x less than stated range. I haven't tried the OTG cable yet but as I am flying with the RC sticks and watching the drone directly I am not watching the screen most of the time, apart from glances to check battery, GPS etc. The camera failing to trigger at 130m is a good indication of a poor link though. Updating everything, checking and will take another attempt today. It is cooler and almost calm.
2017-7-31
Use props
Arcicorsa
Second Officer
Czechia

SparkySurvey Posted at 2017-7-31 15:02
Thanks, I had battery temps in the mid 20s for my flights. They definitely weren't hot, the over temp fail is really getting to me. I am also losing control at less than 130m direct line of sight. Which is more than 10x less than stated range. I haven't tried the OTG cable yet but as I am flying with the RC sticks and watching the drone directly I am not watching the screen most of the time, apart from glances to check battery, GPS etc. The camera failing to trigger at 130m is a good indication of a poor link though. Updating everything, checking and will take another attempt today. It is cooler and almost calm.

My last flight is with OTG on AC/RC on 2.4Ghz. I have two battery buy separate and no problem with any.. How do you steer the antennas on the Drone???
2017-7-31
Use props
Lian82
Second Officer
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

mmmh my temp is HOT

https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... d=POWERBattery_Info
but i live in italy...hot hot everywhere...
2017-7-31
Use props
SparkySurvey
lvl.3
Australia

Arcicorsa Posted at 2017-7-31 15:07
My last flight is with OTG on AC/RC on 2.4Ghz. I have two battery buy separate and no problem with any.. How do you steer the antennas on the Drone???

I have the RC antennas at 45deg up and I am facing the drone at all times. The greatest distance I have ever gotten away from myself horizontally has been 80m, greatest height 100m. In Australia we have a 120m ceiling for drone operation and have to remain at least 30m away from anyone who is not operating the drone. This gives me a flight height range of 35m-120m vertical and given the small size of spark probably <500m range. But I can't even get close to that at the moment. I have tried 2.4 and 5.8Ghz and neither have provided a solid control link. Because the vision files are carried with the flight data the files end up very large for dropbox storage.
2017-7-31
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules