Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark Attack Mode -- Follow Up
1289 10 2017-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kaustic
lvl.1
United States

I commented in a thread not too long ago affirming that my Spark also launched from palm and basically attacked me. (http://forum.dji.com/thread-102061-1-1.html)

Quick version: launched Spark from palm; Spark took off, backed away wobbly, and then flew toward my face; swatted down with my hand getting cuts in the process.

After opening a ticket, I sent the Spark for repair.

The response:

Non warranty per data analysis; FLY24 1. User palm launched unit without any GPS connection. 2. Due to lack of GPS signal, hovering accuracy was reduced. 3. Immediately after launching, unit pitched forward and then recorded external impact in air. 4. At t=36.6s, unit lost propulsion after recorded additional impacts Conclusion: Took off and flew in Atti mode without GPS. Non warranty.

The kicker: a total of $142 in parts/repair... And I have DJI Refresh/Care.

The response has me thinking. Why the !@#$ would a Spark palm launch if it has no/weak GPS signal if that's a requirement (per tech's response)?  Seems like that would be an immediate killswitch. Instead, it'll launch and go into atti mode without a controller/phone connected to it. I got all the right lights for palm launch/gesture and the Spark took off and then "pitched forward and then recorded external impact in air"... That pitch was it quickly moving toward my face and the impact was my hand getting cut while swatting it away from my face.

I've logged an invoice dispute, but find it hard to believe that DJI would charge for repairs on a unit that clearly malfunctioned and physically harmed a customer... Especially since there are so many documented issues of Sparks dropping from sky, attacking in gesture mode, and flying off without control.

Not impressed DJI.
2017-7-26
Use props
ix3lplix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145846 ft
United States

I was under the impression that it was only $49 for the first replacement under the DJI Refresh. Why did you have to pay $142?
2017-7-26
Use props
BriRi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

Before I lost my Spark I used hand launch about 15-20 times.

It flew at my face probably half the time. Shocked me the first time but after that I would just duck and go about my business.

This happened inside and outside. I know for a fact that there was no GPS lock inside, but should've been locked outside. I don't think lack of GPS was the trigger given my experience.

Refresh should take care of you for $49 even though it should probably be free under warranty.

Good luck.
2017-7-26
Use props
fans99d24711
lvl.2
United States

I agree. The whole idea of palm launch and control is to quickly launch without being connected. If it is not going to fly correctly for lack of GPS it should nit launch especially when not connected to anything else. Should be a pretty easy program code.
2017-7-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i palm launched my spark dozens of times indoors with no GPS!   and outdoors  with limited GPS under trees.. it was always rock solid...    my Spark only misbehaved if was flying it with app or using the RC.

weird ....
2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

kaustic, sorry for the crash accident, please leave me with the case number so that I can check more details about the data analysis. Thanks.
2017-7-26
Use props
kaustic
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-26 19:04
kaustic, sorry for the crash accident, please leave me with the case number so that I can check more details about the data analysis. Thanks.

CAS-793511-T1C9G0
2017-7-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

kaustic, we are communicating with data analysis team about the result.
Since they are on weekends, the reply is delayed, I will come back to you once I hear from them.
Really sorry for the inconvenience that has been caused.
2017-7-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

kaustic, sorry to have kept you waiting. Here is more details of the data analysis.
The Spark can launch without GPS, vision system will make it hover.
At beginning, you kept putting your hand underneath the drone, the vision system was affected and the hover accuracy was reduced. Immediately after launching, you hand left and the drone entered optical mode. But then something touched the aircraft which made the drone lost balance and fell down.

CAS-793511-T1C9G0.png
2017-8-1
Use props
kaustic
lvl.1
United States

As noted above, I touched the drone as it flew toward my face. There's no mention in the analysis about the pitch forward which was the spark flying toward my face. Why the hell is it so hard for DJI to admit there's a problem here. I'm not the only person on this forum that has had this happen or had similar hardware/software related issues.  Also, what's the point in having Refresh if you're charging me nearly $200 to repair a LED cover? That's almost half the value of the original machine that flew toward my face and cut my hand.
2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

kaustic Posted at 2017-8-2 04:09
As noted above, I touched the drone as it flew toward my face. There's no mention in the analysis about the pitch forward which was the spark flying toward my face. Why the hell is it so hard for DJI to admit there's a problem here. I'm not the only person on this forum that has had this happen or had similar hardware/software related issues.  Also, what's the point in having Refresh if you're charging me nearly $200 to repair a LED cover? That's almost half the value of the original machine that flew toward my face and cut my hand.

I have escalated your case to local appropriate team to follow up, we will have someone to contact you about the further resolution after review, appreciate your patience.
2017-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules