Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CRASH!!
2357 31 2017-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dan P4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89603 ft
United States

Finally everything came together--new remote received, DJI goggles received and P4 ready to go...and it went fast.  I've read about other pilots having control problems after the most recent upgrade.  When I lauched her the first time the response to the controls was very aggressive, causing me to have a small crash--no damage. However, it was the first time I had crashed it since I've had it.  The next day, again flight controls very aggressive and had another small crash, again no damage.  Since I've had the P4 I haven't really used any of the "smart modes" ie Active Track, Waypoints, etc.  So Saturday I decided to try the Active Track.  It was a bright hot afternoon.  Again, aggressive controls and some wobbling of the aircraft. However got Active Track working.  My wife was driving and I was in the back of my pickup keeping an eye on the drone.  Everything was going great....untill it flew headlong into a tree.  The Object Avoidence system did nothing.  Well this crash did some damage.  Two of the arms are bent and the motors are turned in an offset way. Can't fly it anymore, it won't fit in the case either.  

If I can ask one of the administrators--it is still under warrenty, will DJI fix this under a warrenty claim?

Thanks alot,
Dan
2017-7-26
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

Honest question here:  If you were keeping an eye on the drone, then why did you allow it to fly into the tree?  PIC is responsible for obstacle avoidance, not the automatics.  (You didn't mention loss of manual control.)
2017-7-26
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Third time was a charm, sounds like.  Pressing luck can bite!
2017-7-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

What flight mode were you flying in?
Just curious, why were you flying too close to the obstacles surrounding and around you?

RedHotPoker
2017-7-26
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

After noticing that the aircraft reacted "aggressively" to the sticks, did you set the EXPs to a smoother behaviour? (Main Controller settings/Advanced settings/ EXP )
2017-7-27
Use props
fans8a594c16
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29826 ft
United States

Sport Mode when crash?
2017-7-27
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

Guys, he was using Active Track when the fatal crash occurred.  Why this talk about sport mode and stick config?
2017-7-27
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

IFM's dont work in sport mode and there is no stick control with active trac except altitude I believe. You gotta be ready to hit that pause button when you use ifm's.
2017-7-27
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for the crash, have you contacted the Support to start a repair case? I would recommend you send it in first. The drone needs to be evaluated after it arrives, it will be covered by warranty if it's product malfunction and within warranty period.
2017-7-28
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-28 02:17
Sorry for the crash, have you contacted the Support to start a repair case? I would recommend you send it in first. The drone needs to be evaluated after it arrives, it will be covered by warranty if it's product malfunction and within warranty period.

Hey thanks for the reply Diana, I'll do that.

thanks,
Dan
2017-7-31
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-7-27 07:49
Guys, he was using Active Track when the fatal crash occurred.  Why this talk about sport mode and stick config?

Hope all can see this---Phantom was in P mode flying Active Track.  There was one tree and my Phantom 4 found it.  My question is was the object avoidence supposed to kick in and stop the crash?
2017-7-31
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-7-27 10:07
IFM's dont work in sport mode and there is no stick control with active trac except altitude I believe. You gotta be ready to hit that pause button when you use ifm's.

not in sport mode--said nothing about sport mode.
2017-7-31
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

no--it was in P mode.
2017-7-31
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-27 07:05
After noticing that the aircraft reacted "aggressively" to the sticks, did you set the EXPs to a smoother behaviour? (Main Controller settings/Advanced settings/ EXP )

yes and recalibrated everything.
2017-7-31
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-26 15:29
What flight mode were you flying in?
Just curious, why were you flying too close to the obstacles surrounding and around you?

there was one tree close to the P and it flew right into it.

as for your curiosity -- I suppose its true I'm just a beginner.
2017-7-31
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-7-26 15:01
Honest question here:  If you were keeping an eye on the drone, then why did you allow it to fly into the tree?  PIC is responsible for obstacle avoidance, not the automatics.  (You didn't mention loss of manual control.)

As I said in another post--I'm a beginner drone pilot.  It was the third and only bad crash I have had since flying it.  All three crashes happened after the lates updates of firmware installed.
2017-7-31
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

Diana, should I send everything in?  The only damage -- the two front arms are bent, the left being the most severe. Other than that I can connect to the P4, shoot video and photos. Pls let me know.
Thanks,
Dan
2017-7-31
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

One more q--ship it in the grey case it came in with batteries and everything?
2017-7-31
Use props
Lectro88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 286411 ft

United States

I would kindly suggest not sending anything that doesn't require repair.   I'm really bitting my tongue here.  Do some reading on here. about service. it no secret.
2017-7-31
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Dan P4 Posted at 2017-7-31 12:52
One more q--ship it in the grey case it came in with batteries and everything?

Just to verify, only the drone is damaged, the RC and batteries are fine, right? If so, just send the drone in.
2017-8-1
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

Lectro88 Posted at 2017-7-31 19:11
I would kindly suggest not sending anything that doesn't require repair.   I'm really bitting my tongue here.  Do some reading on here. about service. it no secret.

I don't have any choice--the frame is bent on two arms . One arm is bent  so I can't fly. Was thinking about putting some heat to the frame and see if I could straighten it up.  After a few minutes of heating I stopped.  It was going to take more heat than I was willing to put to the aircraft.  Afraid I'd damage other parts.

As far as their service goes, I recently had to send my remote in because it would not charge any longer.  It was still under warrenty so they sent me out a brand new one.  Turn around was about a week and a half.  Yes, I've read the horror stories about their support.

I suggest just be polite and respectful, do everything exactly how they ask for it as far as what to send, receipts, etc.  
Hey man thanks for the input.
Dan
2017-8-1
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-1 00:49
Just to verify, only the drone is damaged, the RC and batteries are fine, right? If so, just send the drone in.

yes the only damage was to the drone.  Ok, I'll just send it in.
Thanks for the info Diana!
Dan
2017-8-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Those dang trees, they often jump out in front of drunk drivers too. ;-)

Yes, even if there is only one tree in the vicinity, the drone will hunt it down, and go after it. Chuckles

Good luck getting it fixed and back to flying?

RedHotPoker
2017-8-1
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-1 09:43
Those dang trees, they often jump out in front of drunk drivers too. ;-)

DEFINITLY back to flying with the goggles.
2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Dan P4 Posted at 2017-8-1 05:11
yes the only damage was to the drone.  Ok, I'll just send it in.
Thanks for the info Diana!
Dan

You are welcome, we'll take care of the drone after it arrived, hope everything goes smoothly.
2017-8-1
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-1 23:48
You are welcome, we'll take care of the drone after it arrived, hope everything goes smoothly.

Hi Diane, the last time I sent something in for repair I was given a list of things I needed to include or do to send along with it.

Can you get that list to me?

Thanks,
Dan
2017-8-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dan P4 Posted at 2017-8-1 11:11
DEFINITLY back to flying with the goggles.

Sounds great to me. ;-)

Wishing you only awesome luck...

RedHotPoker
2017-8-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Dan P4 Posted at 2017-8-3 12:02
Hi Diane, the last time I sent something in for repair I was given a list of things I needed to include or do to send along with it.

Can you get that list to me?

Did you receive an email with the shipping label? Normally, we'll send you an email to tell you how to send it in, Please provide me your case number so I can look into it.
2017-8-4
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-4 00:29
Did you receive an email with the shipping label? Normally, we'll send you an email to tell you how to send it in, Please provide me your case number so I can look into it.

Yes that's how it was done last--it came when the shipping label came.  I've received the label but no instruction list.
2017-8-4
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-4 00:29

SORRY--CAS-849253-J7Q4M9
2017-8-4
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Dan P4 Posted at 2017-8-4 01:43
SORRY--CAS-849253-J7Q4M9

Sorry, I do not have this list, Just checked your case, please send the drone and the gimbal camera in, as I mentioned before, there is no need to send the RC in if it is fine. Besides, it is not recommended to send the SD card and any non-DJI products in.
2017-8-4
Use props
Dan P4
lvl.4
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-4 02:19
Sorry, I do not have this list, Just checked your case, please send the drone and the gimbal camera in, as I mentioned before, there is no need to send the RC in if it is fine. Besides, it is not recommended to send the SD card and any non-DJI products in.

ok, thanks Diana
2017-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules