Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What tracking devices are you using with your spark?
4702 35 2017-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansabf44cfe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 105853 ft
United States

I've strapped a Bluetooth Tile to my spark.  Will help for close range locating in thick brush.

I've used it once so far and it worked great.  

Just a little Velcro  to move it between batteries and it's good to go.
IMG_6686.JPG
2017-7-27
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

what is the range the Bluetooth can be detected? i would like to get a gps tracker but I cant find one small enough!
2017-7-27
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Canada

thats not far at all haha
2017-7-27
Use props
fansabf44cfe
Second Officer
United States

They claim 100 ft but it's more like 60.
2017-7-27
Use props
Visualkaos
Second Officer
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess you would use find my drone on the app to get a close proximity and then get a pinpoint location with the tile?  
2017-7-27
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

Exactly - you also usually have a rough idea where it went down. This cheap, lightweight device will really help. Of course it won't find your drone for you if the only thing you have to go is what continent you were on when it went down. But if you know the rough area then walking around for a few minutes with the app open on your phone will save a lot of climbing through hedges, etc.

I have one of these and think it's great. I hadn't attached it with velcro though - I like your idea and am stealing it.
2017-7-27
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Canada

Visualkaos Posted at 2017-7-27 08:57
I guess you would use find my drone on the app to get a close proximity and then get a pinpoint location with the tile?

i was thinking something like if your drone disconnected from the rc and flew off causing the "find my drone" function to be useless!
2017-7-27
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Canada

StarFishUK Posted at 2017-7-27 09:01
Exactly - you also usually have a rough idea where it went down. This cheap, lightweight device will really help. Of course it won't find your drone for you if the only thing you have to go is what continent you were on when it went down. But if you know the rough area then walking around for a few minutes with the app open on your phone will save a lot of climbing through hedges, etc.

I have one of these and think it's great. I hadn't attached it with velcro though - I like your idea and am stealing it.

that is a good point
2017-7-27
Use props
fansabf44cfe
Second Officer
United States

Totally,  also I noticed that the flight logs when downloaded have more info than what the find my drone function has in the app.  Made it a little easier for me to get close.
2017-7-27
Use props
Thor1
First Officer
Canada

fansabf44cfe Posted at 2017-7-27 09:22
Totally,  also I noticed that the flight logs when downloaded have more info than what the find my drone function has in the app.  Made it a little easier for me to get close.

but if the phone or RC disconnected then the flight logs will stop recording and if it flies off then you wont be able to track it like that.
2017-7-27
Use props
Szwedu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

All around you hear in the "internet" that spark connection brakes because of bluetooth , and you came up with an idea to stick a bluethoot to its belly :]
My opinion on this :
Remove the "thing" from your Spark and you wont have to be searching for it in the future, otherwise it's asking for trouble :]
2017-7-27
Use props
Stormer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28468 ft
Czechia

Thor1 Posted at 2017-7-27 09:36
but if the phone or RC disconnected then the flight logs will stop recording and if it flies off then you wont be able to track it like that.

You are right...

This is log from phone:
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=h ... WyHhQfNYYbMVdkF14Kw

And this is log from spark:
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... S1PSEROdm0zdnp5R1lJ

mobile log is't very usefull for spark recovering if he fly away
2017-7-27
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use Trackimo on all my DJI platforms
2017-7-27
Use props
Resqman911
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28045 ft
United States

I'm not sure slinging a bluetooth device on the belly of the spark is a good idea , its been pretty widely known that one of the issues with the spark is bluetooth interference.
2017-7-27
Use props
depicus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18281 ft
United Kingdom

I've seen this RF tracker reviewed and it sounds like it has a decent range https://loc8tor.com

The problem with GPS trackers is that they require a mobile signal and where I fly there is none so it wouldn't work, this however should work and should not need recharging every few days.
2017-7-27
Use props
Sparky Mike
lvl.3
United States

Tile attached with double sided scotch tape. Haven't needed to use it yet!
20170728_163639.jpg
2017-7-28
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

Sparky Mike Posted at 2017-7-28 15:59

I had mine attached like yours (with hot glue) but noticed that I was getting poor GPS reception. When I saw the Spark without the case on I realized that the GPS receiver is almost directly underneath where you (and I)  have mounted the Tile. I think the idea of placing it on the bottom, attached to the battery with velcro, is a good idea - the battery will shield the drone and as it is underneath is less likely to cause a problem with GPS reception. Just my thoughts....
2017-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You may need also to do a compass calibration if your putting this on your spark, because if it contains any metal it's likely to change the parameters of your compass.
2017-7-29
Use props
jh8
First Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

My experiences with this one are very good.

GPS, Excellent battery life, just 27g:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/M ... king-7-Days-Standby
2017-7-29
Use props
Sparky Mike
lvl.3
United States

StarFishUK Posted at 2017-7-29 08:55
I had mine attached like yours (with hot glue) but noticed that I was getting poor GPS reception. When I saw the Spark without the case on I realized that the GPS receiver is almost directly underneath where you (and I)  have mounted the Tile. I think the idea of placing it on the bottom, attached to the battery with velcro, is a good idea - the battery will shield the drone and as it is underneath is less likely to cause a problem with GPS reception. Just my thoughts....

ah thanks for the feedback...
2017-8-8
Use props
WayneMHK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sparky Mike Posted at 2017-7-28 15:59

There ya go.  Put that thing right on top of your GPS module.
2017-8-8
Use props
Sparky Mike
lvl.3
United States

WayneMHK Posted at 2017-8-8 10:21
There ya go.  Put that thing right on top of your GPS module.

Well now that I know I'll remove it however - never gave me any issues!

Thanks for your valuable feedback.
2017-8-8
Use props
lucsvette
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

attaching it above will definitely cause GPS issues; aka blocking the sensor.  Attaching it to the battery sounds like a better solution.  My concern would be Bluetooth interference or other.
2017-8-8
Use props
Andre_in_SanDie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 150325 ft
United States

My eyes, I haven't flown where I can't see it.
2017-8-8
Use props
Frangu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19849 ft
United States

i also purchased a tile to place it on the drone.
2017-8-8
Use props
Frangu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19849 ft
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-27 12:11
I use Trackimo on all my DJI platforms

how do you have it strap to your spark?
2017-8-8
Use props
Bradders
Second Officer
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

This seems to be a cheep GPS Tracker, for only £9.99 : http://amzn.to/2vCvS5Q
2017-8-8
Use props
His415
Second Officer
United States

Frangu, I use velcro to the bottom of the spark so I can switch it between batteries.
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't use one but am considering
2017-10-15
Use props
His415
Second Officer
United States

Nice ACW.

I highly recommend the Velcro method for attaching it.
2017-10-15
Use props
headshot9
lvl.4
United States

Probably an overkill for the Spark, but for the more expensive drones Whistle 3 (pet GPS tracker) might be an option. ~$80 + $7 per month give you real GPS locations.
2017-10-15
Use props
headshot9
lvl.4
United States

Useful distance test for various Tile models. Seems that the biggest issue for the higher end one is that you just can't hear them from a distance.
2017-10-15
Use props
His415
Second Officer
United States

Cool thanks for that review headshot9  I was wondering about those new tiles
2017-10-15
Use props
ernieken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547641 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

What about aircraft stability with an attached tracker? I can imagine the center of gravity of the AC changes causing difficulties for that AC to remain stable. Is this supported/authorised (warranty) by DJI?
2017-10-15
Use props
AnsleyParker
New

India

I am using Nut Find3 Bluetooth tracking device. Its range is 150 Foot and the battery is replaceable. The design of the Nut Find 3 focuses on loss prevention, so you never lose your items in the first place
2017-12-8
Use props
djordan2
First Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

headshot9 Posted at 2017-10-15 11:09
Probably an overkill for the Spark, but for the more expensive drones Whistle 3 (pet GPS tracker) might be an option. ~$80 + $7 per month give you real GPS locations.

Wow, I know this is an old thread, but I just saw it and am going to make a video on how I use the Whistle Go Explore on my P3 Pro.  I have been using one on my Dog for years, and never thought to put it on my drone.  In tracking mode it will "Ping" the device every 15 seconds. It works off of  4G AT&T Cell towers and GPS.  It will track you in Google Maps and over lay the device on the maps as well.  The battery life is supposed to be about 20 days in Monitoring mode.  The location is accurate to within about 10 feet.  It has a little light that you can turn on in the app.  It stores the Drone's route in the Smartphone.  It also comes with a little Velcro strap so you can attach it to one of the Drone legs.  I just posted a video on Youtube on how I use it on my dog. But at the end of the video I attached it to the Drone.  Go have a look.   
2019-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules