Camera issues - Can this flicker be fixed?
977 11 2017-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cameracollector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 807133 ft
Canada

I notice on quite a few of my clips there is an excessive amount of flicker. I have tried different camera settings but nothing seems to help.

This clip is rendered in photo-jpeg mov format at 86% quality, and you can see the flicker is quite bad in it.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.
2017-7-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

There are lots of compression artifacts in that clip, but it is impossible to say if they are from the camera or your processing. Add to that the awful quality of the Dropbox preview function and it makes the clip uselss for diagnostic purposes. The best thing it to post a short section of original footage from the camera to Dropbox, not edited or processed in any way.
2017-7-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please upload an original footage from the drone's SD card to Dropbox for a better confirmation.
2017-7-27
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-27 23:55
Please upload an original footage from the drone's SD card to Dropbox for a better confirmation.

will do - is there a way to clip the footage and still keep it in original format?
2017-7-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cameracollector Posted at 2017-7-28 10:54
will do - is there a way to clip the footage and still keep it in original format?

Not really, just record another short piece showing the problem.
2017-7-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

cameracollector Posted at 2017-7-28 10:54

It would be very easy to change the original format if you clip the video. I recommend recording another short video of this problem, that would be better.
2017-7-30
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Okay - here is an original clip - not the same one but from the same session and you can see the flickering is quite evident.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eequa02zlc4jeb8/DJI_0010.MP4?dl=0
2017-8-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cameracollector Posted at 2017-8-1 16:16
Okay - here is an original clip - not the same one but from the same session and you can see the flickering is quite evident.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eequa02zlc4jeb8/DJI_0010.MP4?dl=0

I have viewed the clip you uploaded to Dropbox on my high-end editing computer and it is near to perfect. I say near, because a wheat field is almost as bad a subject as it is possible to choose to shoot with a camera that uses MPEG compression. In a wheat field there is so much fine detail that the MPEG encoder is working it's butt off trying to preserve as much detail as possible, but you are shooting 4K at 60 megabits per second, which is actually a fairly slow rate. With a P4P you could shoot the same scene at 100 Mb/s and it would be a bit better, but at 60 Mb/s that is about as good as you will get.

You might try viewing it using VLCPlayer (free download) as that may handle the replay better, but if you still cannot get an acceptable replay then unfortunately your computer is not up to the task.  In summary, I don't seen any flicker at all.
2017-8-1
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-1 17:29
I have viewed the clip you uploaded to Dropbox on my high-end editing computer and it is near to perfect. I say near, because a wheat field is almost as bad a subject as it is possible to choose to shoot with a camera that uses MPEG compression. In a wheat field there is so much fine detail that the MPEG encoder is working it's butt off trying to preserve as much detail as possible, but you are shooting 4K at 60 megabits per second, which is actually a fairly slow rate. With a P4P you could shoot the same scene at 100 Mb/s and it would be a bit better, but at 60 Mb/s that is about as good as you will get.

You might try viewing it using VLCPlayer (free download) as that may handle the replay better, but if you still cannot get an acceptable replay then unfortunately your computer is not up to the task.  In summary, I don't seen any flicker at all.

Thanks for the reply - that helps explain it better.

Out of curiousity, what is your computer setup? After I bought my P4 I upgraded from my old Dell i7 (12GB ram, 1GB video card) to a machine with 16GB RAM,  Intel Six Core i7 6800K (3.40 GHz) with a AMD Radeon RX 480 8 GB GDDR5 graphics card. I also added a 500GB Samsung SSD & moved the OS to it, and a 2TB WD black for extra storage.

This is the machine I have:  https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ... 01482409.1473221802

Even with all this I find the 4K footage taxing the system, VLC is pretty well unusable for the raw footage which is strange because it was the best player for my 1080-60 gopro footage on my older system. I can play the DJI files okay in media player, but if I'm trying to watch one while the others are are still being copied from the SD card forget it.

I figured with such a big step up in processor power and graphics card and another 4GB ram I'd be able to watch a file playing stutter free even while doing other things, which is clearly not the case.  The VLC stuttering is a mystery too - perhaps I need to tune the system more, I was thinking of bumping the RAM up to 32 or 48GB, if that would be the best place to put the extra $$

2017-8-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cameracollector Posted at 2017-8-4 08:08
Thanks for the reply - that helps explain it better.

Out of curiousity, what is your computer setup? After I bought my P4 I upgraded from my old Dell i7 (12GB ram, 1GB video card) to a machine with 16GB RAM,  Intel Six Core i7 6800K (3.40 GHz) with a AMD Radeon RX 480 8 GB GDDR5 graphics card. I also added a 500GB Samsung SSD & moved the OS to it, and a 2TB WD black for extra storage.

My computer is not too different to yours, except I have two RX480s in it, and 32GB of RAM. But for video, RAM is not important as processor cores and GPU power. Your 16GB should be fine.

I can't explain why VLCPlayer is not enabling you to view the files correctly, it is doing a great job on my machine. Go through the settings and check them, I think youy have to actually configure it to use the GPU if fitted.

2017-8-4
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-4 16:36
My computer is not too different to yours, except I have two RX480s in it, and 32GB of RAM. But for video, RAM is not important as processor cores and GPU power. Your 16GB should be fine.

I can't explain why VLCPlayer is not enabling you to view the files correctly, it is doing a great job on my machine. Go through the settings and check them, I think youy have to actually configure it to use the GPU if fitted.

I find that quite often when I am editing video and have a few tabs open in Chrome I'll get a low memory warning, which is why I was considering more RAM .

I primarily use Sony Vegas 13 for most of my video editing, and some Davinci Resolve 12.5.

I was expecting a lot better video performance than what I've been getting with this machine - it'll play 4k okay but not with anything else going on. I feel it should be better than it is..
2017-8-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cameracollector Posted at 2017-8-7 20:26
I find that quite often when I am editing video and have a few tabs open in Chrome I'll get a low memory warning, which is why I was considering more RAM .

I primarily use Sony Vegas 13 for most of my video editing, and some Davinci Resolve 12.5.

Likewise, I have been using Sony Vegas since wayback, but I am now using Resolve instead. However I don't do anything else on that computer, it is reserved strictly for video editing. Consequently, I have almost nothing installed on it that could be using CPU time. This is a trick I learned many years ago.
2017-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules