1657 18 2017-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

For a second (third?) time I have crazy focus problem - when starts from landing pad Mavic pick to focus on a near grass and then for 2-3 minutes flight cant focus on landscape despite my efforts (pressing C1) after 2-3 minutes it pics the right focus and everything is OK but time pass footage lost
P.S.
I know - calibrated Gimble calibrated IMU ... Auto focus is a problem with Mavic
2017-7-28
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Are you in AFC or Manual focus mode?
If you are using AFC you can change the point you want to direct the focus to by just tapping on the screen.
If you are in Manual focus, then you need to use the slider to focus.
2017-7-28
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I think I found the problem - it happened during filming if I start without filming - focus and Then start shooting it seems better, but steel focus needs attention.
2017-8-4
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

There are three focusing modes:

1) Manual
2) AF without AFC
3) AF with AFC

Which one are you using? (probably 2 or 3?)

In mode 2 the camera should only focus when you tell it to focus. In mode 3, you don't know for sure when the camera (re-)focuses, though I would expect you can always trigger focusing.

Not a direct answer to your problem/issue, but it would be interesting to know your setup.

If you don't have a problem forgetting to focus, I would recommend AF without AFC.
2017-8-4
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I am with AFC because during flights I have far panoramas and close-ups so it better focus on a subject as All other cameras do ;)
2017-8-4
Use props
WPONPAI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 99590 ft
Thailand

Same problem infinity focus not work.
2017-8-4
Use props
WPONPAI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 99590 ft
Thailand

Same problem infinity focus not work.
2017-8-4
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Just an example how it struggles but failed especially in low light
2017-8-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2017-8-4 11:47

Just an example how it struggles but failed especially in low light

When in really low light you should switch to manual mode -- all cameras that look at contrast to deduce focus need good light to work well and progressively fail as light levels fall. Turn on focus peaking to use as a reality check. That said, there's enough light here where it should work towards the end -- do you tap to focus before starting your flight?
2017-8-4
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

It wasn't  that dark my phone had no problem focusing half an hour later ;)
2017-8-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2017-8-4 11:51
It wasn't  that dark my phone had no problem focusing half an hour later ;)

The beginning looks really dark but as the video progresses it brightens considerably -- I started my message within the first few seconds of the video's start, but went back and edited it after seeing the end of the video. ;)

Guessing the sun is rising?

2017-8-4
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

No, it's 21h, just before sunset. I had no time to fight this stupid focus problem as I was on journey to go beyond 7 km from starting point ;) and movie is worthless, but still annoying this constant insecurity whether camera picked the right focus or whole footage is down the drain
2017-8-4
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

alex_markov Posted at 2017-8-4 01:00
I am with AFC because during flights I have far panoramas and close-ups so it better focus on a subject as All other cameras do ;)

Okay, maybe I'm going off-topic now, but Mavic's AFC mode is not like all other cameras work. I would say non-AFC AF-mode is closest to most consumer cameras (and smartphones).

Especially for photos, most cameras only focus when you hit shutter button or tap the screen to take a picture.

I must admit I'm less experienced in using cameras for video, so it might vary more how cameras work. But a problem with contrast-based autofocus like on Mavic (and most consumer cameras and smartphones), is that you cannot avoid some "focus hunting" when using the autofocus. That's why a professional would never use any kind of periodic/continuous focusing during filming with a camera having contrast-based autofocusing.

But okay, this is probably off-topic for your current problem. It just provokes me a bit when people write "as All other cameras do"...
2017-8-4
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

What really bugs me off is that my Samsung S7 Never have focus problem neither in photo shooting neither in filming, while Mavic (Great drone!) 1-2 times out of ten have some focusing problem (overexposure in auto also ) and when focus is really off - you'll spot it and fight to have it right but when it's off by a little you might not see it on small screen and loose beautiful sights
2017-8-4
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2017-8-4 23:24
What really bugs me off is that my Samsung S7 Never have focus problem neither in photo shooting neither in filming, while Mavic (Great drone!) 1-2 times out of ten have some focusing problem (overexposure in auto also ) and when focus is really off - you'll spot it and fight to have it right but when it's off by a little you might not see it on small screen and loose beautiful sights

stay away from auto exposure and follow the H.
2017-8-5
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2017-8-4 23:24

Again, focus-peaking is your friend for providing a reality check on what's in-focus.
2017-8-5
Use props
fansb8b222f3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74213 ft
Sweden

Yes but it sucks to constantly be picking your screen when focusing on flying etc. Using a regular video camera you dont need to focus on every thing thats beeing recorded .
I think this sucks no matter the reson. The aircraft can balance in windy condition but it cant focus ?
Thats not up to par with DJI quality youd expect . For those of you WHO like the current setup because that what it used to work forget we are now not only working with a camera ... we are also in the control of the aircraft etc. I also tend to get bad result cause of this dumb way of tech design.
2017-8-5
Use props
fansb8b222f3
lvl.4
Sweden

How hard can it be to get auto focus on center of screen ?
2017-8-5
Use props
fansb8b222f3
lvl.4
Sweden

How can we get DJI to respond to any major design flaws that beeing adressed in this forum? Right now it feels more like a self venting forum without no feedback from DJI
2017-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules