Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CrystalSky High vs. Ultra Brightness
9147 22 2017-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
T-BOLT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2713589 ft
United States

Hi, first post here but have referenced the forum numerous times.

Has anyone seen the difference between the 7.85" Crystal Sky High Brightness and the Ultra Brightness monitors?  I'm just pondering if its really worth the wait and extra $$$.  Right now I'm using an ipad mini 4 which is fine with my hood but it overheats like CRAZY out here in the Texas heat.

Sorry if this has been posted already, I wasn't able to find a comparison.

Thanks!
2017-7-29
Use props
dronesinairs
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I dont know of any tests for ultra bright yet but firefighters review both 1000 nit in texas
2017-7-29
Use props
T-BOLT
lvl.1
United States

So apparently the ipad mini 4 is around 440 cd/m2 brightness, where the CrystalSky High Brightness is at 1000 cd/m2.  That's over twice as bright!

That's great as long as there are no over heating issues.

2017-7-29
Use props
T-BOLT
lvl.1
United States

dronesinairs Posted at 2017-7-29 08:31
I dont know of any tests for ultra bright yet but firefighters review both 1000 nit in texas

That's exactly what I needed.  Thanks.  I'm sold!
2017-7-29
Use props
dronesinairs
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

T-BOLT Posted at 2017-7-29 08:55
That's exactly what I needed.  Thanks.  I'm sold!

If you need brightness and no overheating then CrystalSky is the only option in the price range (it has a built in fan). If you need it to work like a tablet and use other apps it might now work for you.  
Click the CrystalSky tab at the bottom https://docs.google.com/spreadsh ... edit#gid=1103644402

Also here is a Crystalsky wishlist thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-103078-1-1.html

2017-7-29
Use props
T-BOLT
lvl.1
United States

dronesinairs Posted at 2017-7-29 09:24
If you need brightness and no overheating then CrystalSky is the only option in the price range (it has a built in fan). If you need it to work like a tablet and use other apps it might now work for you. Click the CrystalSky tab at the bottom https://docs.google.com/spreadsh ... edit#gid=1103644402

Also here is a Crystalsky wishlist thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-103078-1-1.html

Really appreciate it.  I found Toms Tech review as well.

Ya that pretty much the only bummer cause I do use Hanger Autopilot for Panos.  I really need to stop auto panos, but I could still use my iphone for that anyway.  

Oh and I prefer to use my bluetooth headset when I fly to listen to the app (and keep people from talking to me) - doesn't appear to have bluetooth capability.
2017-7-29
Use props
StianGel
Captain
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

T-BOLT Posted at 2017-7-29 11:02
Really appreciate it.  I found Toms Tech review as well.

Ya that pretty much the only bummer cause I do use Hanger Autopilot for Panos.  I really need to stop auto panos, but I could still use my iphone for that anyway.  

For audio you could get a bluetooth dongle, or use wired headphones.
2017-7-29
Use props
Nikon 1
Second Officer
United States

Thank You @dronesinairs for posting that review!  I have the 7.85 Ultra on pre-order and was really impressed with the review and the details he covered.
2017-7-29
Use props
T-BOLT
lvl.1
United States

StianGel Posted at 2017-7-29 18:32
For audio you could get a bluetooth dongle, or use wired headphones.

Dongle is the way to go for sure - never using wired headphones again!  LOL, spoiled right?  For sure the dongle will work on the CrystalSky?  Just seems crazy a $600 monitor doesn't have Bluetooth.
2017-7-30
Use props
StianGel
Captain
Norway

T-BOLT Posted at 2017-7-30 11:38
Dongle is the way to go for sure - never using wired headphones again!  LOL, spoiled right?  For sure the dongle will work on the CrystalSky?  Just seems crazy a $600 monitor doesn't have Bluetooth.

Something like this should work fine.
2017-7-30
Use props
T-BOLT
lvl.1
United States

StianGel Posted at 2017-7-30 12:16
Something like this should work fine.

Ya that doesn't thrill me cause it sticks out too much.  I'm sure it would work though.  I was thinking maybe the usb connection would work?  You can find them that set much more flush.
2017-7-30
Use props
StianGel
Captain
Norway

T-BOLT Posted at 2017-7-30 14:04
Ya that doesn't thrill me cause it sticks out too much.  I'm sure it would work though.  I was thinking maybe the usb connection would work?  You can find them that set much more flush.

Yes, the supplied adapter si cumbersome. You could probably find or make a short cable that is flush.
Then you just stick the dongle somewhere suitable.
2017-7-30
Use props
T-BOLT
lvl.1
United States

StianGel Posted at 2017-7-30 14:49
Yes, the supplied adapter si cumbersome. You could probably find or make a short cable that is flush.
Then you just stick the dongle somewhere suitable.

Ya, I'm sure I'll figure something out.  Thanks.

So I just finished talking to DJI support and they said Bluetooth and Bluetooth dongles are not supported, but that 4K Dongles are, and that I should try it and see.  LOL, they are cheap so I'll give it a shot.   
2017-7-30
Use props
Samahita
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17041 ft
Sri Lanka

Thanx for a great review and solving the crucial overheating question...
So far it seems: Crystalsky Don't overheat at all.
Please correct me if wrong.
2017-8-8
Use props
RichfromHowellN
Captain
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any clue as to when we can expect the Ultra to start shipping?
2017-8-25
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

Oh Crystalsky Ultra DOES overheat, I received mine 2/21/18, did all the updates and firmware updates, received my mount the next day and went to fly
Less than 20 minutes later
it was dead
2018-2-23
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

Trying the high brightness monitor tomorrow in hopes of seeing the screen outside but the Ultra still overheats even after new firmware updates
2018-2-23
Use props
Texan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1637287 ft
United States

CKE ENTERPRISES Posted at 2018-2-23 04:41
Trying the high brightness monitor tomorrow in hopes of seeing the screen outside but the Ultra still overheats even after new firmware updates

Look forward to hearing from your feedback on CS 7.85 H.  Thanks.
2018-2-23
Use props
daev2018
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12263747 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought 7.85" Ultra 20% off ($799.20) with coupons from DJI Select Membership Tuesday. Just arrived today (Friday). Using it this weekend in 40 degree temps.
The 5.5" was $375.20 with the coupon. Ordered Thursday, shipped Thursday, arrives Monday. They are using FedEx ground which is still 2 days Georgia to Chicago. UPS ground will ofter ship 2 days but hold your package in warehouse for 2 days cause you didn't pay them enough.

https://store.dji.com/select
2018-2-23
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

The CS high brightness worked flawlessly today in the middle of the day, afternoon and testing tomorrow again..

I can finally wear polarized sun glasses to eliminate glare from the sun and see everything perfectly

Yes the Ultra is a little brighter but the difference is NOT worth dealing with over heating and losing a grand for something that may last 18 minutes like mine did

The high brightness is worth every penny, better than my tablets, cell phones and battery life is
incredible
2018-2-24
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

CKE ENTERPRISES Posted at 2018-2-24 17:35
The CS high brightness worked flawlessly today in the middle of the day, afternoon and testing tomorrow again..

I can finally wear polarized sun glasses to eliminate glare from the sun and see everything perfectly

I tend to agree with CKE, my 5.5 is plenty bright enough and the heat generated by the ULTRA  is not worth the hassle of dealing with it.

I'd sell mine if I could but no one is interested in a flakey product with no warranty because it's second hand, also with the failures the Ultra's reputation amongst informed users is shot.

In use the 5.5 is a much better form factor with the MP, MPP and MA controllers, the Ultra is too big, bulky and heavy  and it's a bit of a waste of time if you have to use the Ultra at minimum brightness to baby it, when you can pump out 1000 nits on the high brightness units each day every day without an issue at all.
2018-2-24
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CKE ENTERPRISES Posted at 2018-2-23 04:40
Oh Crystalsky Ultra DOES overheat, I received mine 2/21/18, did all the updates and firmware updates, received my mount the next day and went to fly
Less than 20 minutes later
it was dead

I bought mine in Dec 2017 and still working on May 10 2021, Ohio.  Love how it is so easy to view even with the sun over my head.
2021-5-12
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

T-BOLT Posted at 2017-7-29 08:49
So apparently the ipad mini 4 is around 440 cd/m2 brightness, where the CrystalSky High Brightness is at 1000 cd/m2.  That's over twice as bright!

That's great as long as there are no over heating issues.

I bouht the CS 7.85 Ultra - In the sunniest day, no shade, it is bright, clear, colorful, almost like watching tv at home.  Absolutely awesome.  I have an Air 2S now, just bought the Smart Controller, not as good as the 7.85 Ultra, but better than any phone or tablet.  It's good enough and so nice.
2021-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules