Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
POLL: What Experience are YOU having after the recent updates?
12345Next >
16287 162 2017-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all.  
This is for the P4, P4P, and P4 Advanced.
You can check all items that apply to you.  Please be accurate.
I am curious to see how many problems are showing up for people AFTER the latest software updates.  

If you are having a problem after the recent software/firmware updates that is NOT on this list, DON'T check anything on the list.  Post a description of the problem below, I will add the problem to the list, THEN you can check the list.  

Please try to be accurate about the problem only occurring after the updates.  I'm hoping to get a reasonable assessment as to the depth of the problems recently introduced.

FYI: I'm bouncing this thread (every couple of days) between the three P4 forums (P4, P4P, and P4 Adv) to get as many responses as possible.

Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 12 entry optional ), Total 429 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 9.33.20 AM.png
2017-7-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I've responded based on the P4 update. My experience with the P4P update is a good one. In my case, the video transmission issue I know is due to the latest branch of DJI GO now requiring more CPU to do the video decoding successfully - in an iPhone/iPad you need at least the A8 chip now. It may also account for the overheating issue, which I haven't experienced.
2017-7-30
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

That's an interesting poll.
I would find it also interesting what positive changes people can report.
I can report: No more tilted horizon! Big change for me.
But I do have now video transmission problems (iPad Mini 4)

I guess while getting rid of one problem we have to accept that we get another problem instead ;-)
2017-7-30
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Interesting seeing how the numbers are starting to add up.  There are certainly some people who have experienced no problems (and I imagine ratio-wise, there are probably more a lot people that have experienced no problems than there are who show up in this forum with problems).

But it is interesting to see how things are showing themselves so far.  Hopefully everyone here joins this poll.
2017-7-31
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Maybe so, maybe not.  But we at least have to try every option to help them understand the gravity of the situation.  Better than sitting back and doing nothing.
2017-7-31
Use props
CharlesWhiteman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 923114 ft
United Kingdom

How about  an option to tick for the P4pro forgetting camera/video settings and exp settings after switching off! Still i's happening and I can't believe its that difficult to fix! The additional flying time benefits over the P3 are totally wiped out by having to check everything every freeking time!
2017-7-31
Use props
CharlesWhiteman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 923114 ft
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-30 17:44
I've responded based on the P4 update. My experience with the P4P update is a good one. In my case, the video transmission issue I know is due to the latest branch of DJI GO now requiring more CPU to do the video decoding successfully - in an iPhone/iPad you need at least the A8 chip now. It may also account for the overheating issue, which I haven't experienced.

and.... dear dji, I have been contemplating buying a gimbal for my smartphone and I saw in a youtube review that the osmo does the same thing (forgets settings after powering down).  So I've bought a Smooth-Q for half the price of an osmo and the reviews are great!
2017-7-31
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

CharlesWhiteman Posted at 2017-7-31 09:30
How about  an option to tick for the P4pro forgetting camera/video settings and exp settings after switching off! Still i's happening and I can't believe its that difficult to fix! The additional flying time benefits over the P3 are totally wiped out by having to check everything every freeking time!

Hi Charles.  Thanks for the info.  I have added the issue you requested.  Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to check that in this poll...
2017-7-31
Use props
Maritimer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106673 ft
Canada

I really dont have any problem with updates. In fact the latest  update I noticed better control flying the drone now then I did before the update

let me edit this..
this was for phantom 4? Sorry mines a 3 adv.
2017-7-31
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170988 ft
New Zealand

I went through the full update procedure last night on my 1 year old P4 Standard, but I waited until this morning to do the IMU calibration while cold.

Flight control is good and smooth. Horizon, nice and straight. Nvidia Shield K1 and DJI GO 4.1.4 played nicely together the whole time - no crashes and no purple or green bars.

However, 4K video (3840 x 2160 @ 30fps) kills the video connection and the camera comes back looking at the LEFT FRONT landing gear. Switched to 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps and video recording was faultless.

** EDIT ** After checking the drone's onboard SD card I found NONE of the 4K video leading up to failure was stored. Either it's never making it to the SD card, or it's getting wiped when the video system throws a wobbly. Either way, it's a major fault that seems to be affecting EVERYONE on the lastest firmeware.

2017-7-31
Use props
JCJMC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2122467 ft
Spain

CentralOtagoKiw Posted at 2017-7-31 14:27
I went through the full update procedure last night on my 1 year old P4 Standard, but I waited until this morning to do the IMU calibration while cold.

Flight control is good and smooth. Horizon, nice and straight. Nvidia Shield K1 and DJI GO 4.1.4 played nicely together the whole time - no crashes and no purple or green bars.

Same problems.
2017-7-31
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Interesting... as of this point, there are quite a few more positive reports than I had expected.  Clearly, the numbers are showing there are a great many of us who are having serious issues, but the number of reports of a good update and an improved experience after the updates is strong.  Probably much stronger than the numbers reflect since those who are having a good experience are less likely to have their face in the forum.

That said, a couple of highlights:
with 70 people reporting in (as of this update), 42% of us are having problems with the bird bucking or being unstable after the update.. 37% are having problems with video transmission... 30% are having issues with the gimbal not pointing correctly (or randomly panning to the side).  etc.

Many of us are having multiple issues.  Lucky us.
2017-8-1
Use props
KFarm
New
United States

POLL FLAW - Once I experienced the first few issues listed, I didn't take the time to experience the rest.  ;^)
2017-8-1
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

KFarm Posted at 2017-8-1 16:09
POLL FLAW - Once I experienced the first few issues listed, I didn't take the time to experience the rest.  ;^)

Heh... WORD.  I didn't try everything either.  Oh well, nuthin's perfect eh?
:-)
2017-8-1
Use props
fans0c8159f7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 511749 ft
United States

I have an iPad mini 4 and currently experiencing video transmissions issues. That pixelated screen goes black and turns green in cases. I've noticed the iPad overtime gets super hot as well. I've also had video transmission issues on the ground indoors. I guess the mini 4 is struggling to keep up. Otherwise, my P4P rocks. Just trying to resolve the video transmission so I can safely fly and capture good video.
2017-8-2
Use props
Dustonf
New
Flight distance : 298383 ft
Canada

fans0c8159f7 Posted at 2017-8-2 18:44
I have an iPad mini 4 and currently experiencing video transmissions issues. That pixelated screen goes black and turns green in cases. I've noticed the iPad overtime gets super hot as well. I've also had video transmission issues on the ground indoors. I guess the mini 4 is struggling to keep up. Otherwise, my P4P rocks. Just trying to resolve the video transmission so I can safely fly and capture good video.

Same, had to reboot everything and play with 2.4g / 5g until it worked better.
2017-8-2
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

[bumped this thread back to the P4P forum]
2017-8-3
Use props
VIZ Produkcija
Second Officer
Flight distance : 646844 ft
  • >>>
Serbia

The biggest problem for me was the loss of image. I practically shot blindfolded with the ipad mini 2. Since I bought the ipad pro 9.7 and tuned the manual channels and the image transfer from 4Mbps, I no longer have any problems.
2017-8-3
Use props
Thechadmeister
New
United States

I just went through set up on new pro plus model and the firmware updated fine , but I have no camera. I can't seem to figure out what to do. Could someone point me in the right direction.
2017-8-3
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

The gimbal was smooth and quiet prior to the update. Part way through the update. the gimbal starting to make some movements and then the noise started. During the update, the gimbal was vibrating and since the update, the noise has continued.
2017-8-3
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thechadmeister Posted at 2017-8-3 18:53
I just went through set up on new pro plus model and the firmware updated fine , but I have no camera. I can't seem to figure out what to do. Could someone point me in the right direction.

Hi Thech.... update DJI Go on your mobile device.  That'll get you there.
2017-8-3
Use props
Jason Grubb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5456 ft
United Kingdom

Did the upgrade as advised by DJI I now have serious flight twitching and basically an un flyable expensive lump of white  plastic due to twitching in flight. I'm still under warranty just wondering if I head to Maplinsto try my luck to get my money back.....purchased this expensive camera for a holiday trip and now unable to use while on holiday. It's in the boot of the car. Love DJI NOT. TIME TO START ASKING FOR REFUNDS
2017-8-4
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jason Grubb Posted at 2017-8-4 03:10
Did the upgrade as advised by DJI I now have serious flight twitching and basically an un flyable expensive lump of white  plastic due to twitching in flight. I'm still under warranty just wondering if I head to Maplinsto try my luck to get my money back.....purchased this expensive camera for a holiday trip and now unable to use while on holiday. It's in the boot of the car. Love DJI NOT. TIME TO START ASKING FOR REFUNDS

Hi Jason... do you have a P4 or a P4P?  My P4 twitches after the update, my P4P doesn't twitch.

This problem WILL be fixed by DJI with a software/firmware update.  Hopefully sooner than later.
2017-8-4
Use props
Thechadmeister
New
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-8-3 22:12
Hi Thech.... update DJI Go on your mobile device.  That'll get you there.

Thanks for the response, but I ended up calling DJI and it was that I didn't update firmware on controller, I just did the drone. It's working great now.
2017-8-4
Use props
MrRobert5823
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I had my gimbal that would shake... I did 2 resets... and it worked perfect after that.  
2017-8-4
Use props
Jason Grubb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5456 ft
United Kingdom

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-8-4 08:08
Hi Jason... do you have a P4 or a P4P?  My P4 twitches after the update, my P4P doesn't twitch.

This problem WILL be fixed by DJI with a software/firmware update.  Hopefully sooner than later.

Its a P4 ....gutted as away on holifay with my drone
2017-8-4
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thechadmeister Posted at 2017-8-4 08:36
Thanks for the response, but I ended up calling DJI and it was that I didn't update firmware on controller, I just did the drone. It's working great now.

Awesome.  Glad to hear it.
2017-8-4
Use props
Erka56
lvl.1
Netherlands

So, just got my P4P 24 hours now.
Wanted to have it next to my Mavic because of the better camera, out of the box I did update the drone.
I havent flown with any older firmware yet but after update I was getting image transmission failed even in the same room.
( Offcourse wireless interference and reflections of wireless signals I went outside, same problem )
Also things in the transmission have been changed to get it working, on a moment I was getting good transmission and went into the air.
I keep getting disconnects and transmission failures I can't fly further then 100 meters because its a real drama.
Does this has to do with the upgraded firmware?

And like other people mentioned:
I also see the bad transmission artefacts on my iPad 2017 128gb lte version is also recorded on the local SD card.
2017-8-5
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hi Erka, yes, you are absolutely describing the software/firmware update issue.  

That said, the artifacts you are seeing recorded to your SD card isn't something I have heard of from the update issue.  But it is totally possible.  One other person complained about artifacts after updating (that I know of).
2017-8-5
Use props
KEDDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Well here's my story

P4P+ bought mid June, took 1½ week to get anywhere due to requrement of access to a WIFI connection.
Finally i got access to WIFI, took a lot of attempts to get an account created from the remote in order to register the thing but it managed to get thrugh at last. Now at was presented of some FW mismatch message that was solved by simply letting it update by itself.
AC restarted, and the famous late June "Update required, you can always downgrade if you dislike bla bla bla" message popped up. i like to be updated and didn't know how old the FW was when i bought the thing, so upgraded without any trouble.

From here it was flying and recording wiht no issues at all, only thing was i could not download local maps but had the choise to update maps for china?
After around 2 and a half week flying and recording with pleasure i noticed a thread in here, where a DJI supporter advised to reset the controller in order to fix the missing map download issue, did that and from that point almost all reported issues hit me and has not been solved yet.

Sticks very touchy/sensitive.
AC unstable, yoyo like slowly wobling up and down, slowly rotating after letting go of the sticks.
Sometimes loosing connection within 300 meters distance at 30m height at clear sight over cultivated fields out in the country, other times no problems a around 1km + beside the video feed might become unstable/flickering.
When shooting video and rotating in place it clearly shows some shaking in the movie like the gimbal does not follow/hold track with the AC and moving along in small steps.
Warning of high wind even with the flag on my pole hanging without any movement at all (no or very little wind)
Sensor system has become very sensitive too, the thing is beeping like mad from take of until i get around 6-8 meters up. and again when trying to land it goes mad in beeping, sometimes figting against going the last distance to the plastic box i use as platform for tanking off/landing.
I have noticed that sometimes it think it is upto 4 meters higher when landing the same place it took off from, sometimes half a meter below ground, even it always get plenty of time to warm up before taking off, have itself record the homepoint etc. while i check everything the last time including the record settings.
a few times i has noticed it make a short flip back or forwards at the time it set down for landing, like it almost try to flip over, even landings always are very gentle due to the fighting back against going down.

From the intelligent modes i have only tried the Follow terrain and tripod mode, i guess the terrain mode does as it should but wish it could also decend hight when following the road downhill. The tripod mode was absolutely unusable as the thing was drifting from side to side and a little back and forward, in other words very unstable also in tripod mode and stcks still very touchy/AC agressive.

So what it would like to report is that from my POV. it was not the firmware upgrade in itself that startet the trouble but the factory reset of the remote some weeks after the upgrade.
I has tryed to refresh FW on both RC and AC, calibrated sticks and compas but nothing has helped at all, seem more like it is getting worse everytime i try out something. :-(

I am getting a anying popup where i has to confirm some warning zones even i am far from any where i flight the most, those popup after taking off and sometimes i only notice them when i need to change something or control the camera exposure etc. as i have no problems flying around even the warning has pop up on the display.

Then theres the HDMI without overlay issue and possibly things i have not found out yet, really hoping DJI would supply a tested stable firmware soon or at least put back the promised downgrade possibillity.

Like i have seen other asking i has considered looking out for hacked/3rd party firmware but really it can't be that we should get that way in order to get a stable drone!
2017-8-6
Use props
Erka56
lvl.1
Netherlands

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-8-5 20:28
Hi Erka, yes, you are absolutely describing the software/firmware update issue.  

That said, the artifacts you are seeing recorded to your SD card isn't something I have heard of from the update issue.  But it is totally possible.  One other person complained about artifacts after updating (that I know of).

Thanks for the confirmation!
Its quiet frustrating now, do I have a DOA drone again as I had with the Magic, or do I have to wait for firmware update to see if I have a properly working drone.
Ouch..... I assume I have to wait before I can make my conclusion, I don't fly the P4P at the moment its unsafe to fly from my experiences.
Ill keep an eye out on the forum.
2017-8-6
Use props
mikeon
Second Officer
United States

Is there a way that those who haven't upgraded, and thus do not vote in the poll, can see the results?  That would be useful in a decision whether to upgrade.
2017-8-6
Use props
Rimco.as
New
United Kingdom

None at all .. works perfectly after several firm and soft updates as and when prompted. I did however turn off and on power to drone, controler and tablet and reinstalled DJI Go
2017-8-6
Use props
Rimco.as
New
United Kingdom

None at all .. works perfectly after several firm and soft updates as and when prompted. I did however turn off and on power to drone, controler and tablet and reinstalled DJI Go 4 after the updates. After 5 flights (approx 50 mins in the air) everything appears to be perfect
2017-8-6
Use props
Rimco.as
New
United Kingdom

None at all .. works perfectly after several firm and soft updates as and when prompted. I did however turn off and on power to drone, controler and tablet and reinstalled DJI Go 4 after the updates. After 5 flights (approx 50 mins in the air) everything appears to be perfect
2017-8-6
Use props
Erka56
lvl.1
Netherlands

gimbal grinding noises kicked in, as mentioned in other post downgrade of firmware could be possible.
While doing that ( 100% battery ) firmware upgrade failure kicked in and all red led eveywhere and no connection possible to the drone anymore.
nice.
2017-8-6
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.1
United States

The issue I’m having is that one of my batteries that worked fine prior to the update, is no longer functioning properly.  It was turning the drone power on without me pressing the button, it wouldn't shut off so I removed it from the drone.  It was still flashing green bars and wouldn't shut off after being removed. It won’t seem to take a charge…it shows it’s charged after being plugged in for a couple of hours, but when placed in the drone shows only 1 bar of light and the app reads 1% charge.  It is less than a year old and has only begun malfunctioning since the update.
2017-8-6
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.1
United States

ChristineL Posted at 2017-8-6 15:36
The issue I’m having is that one of my batteries that worked fine prior to the update, is no longer functioning properly.  It was turning the drone power on without me pressing the button, it wouldn't shut off so I removed it from the drone.  It was still flashing green bars and wouldn't shut off after being removed. It won’t seem to take a charge…it shows it’s charged after being plugged in for a couple of hours, but when placed in the drone shows only 1 bar of light and the app reads 1% charge.  It is less than a year old and has only begun malfunctioning since the update.

This issue is for the P4
2017-8-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ChristineL Posted at 2017-8-6 15:36

I am afraid that battery is stuffed, dispose of it. I suspect there is a fault on the control board. Sadly it is too old to be covered by warranty.
2017-8-6
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-6 18:20
I am afraid that battery is stuffed, dispose of it. I suspect there is a fault on the control board. Sadly it is too old to be covered by warranty.

seems to me to be a direct result of the update. refreshed the firmware on it 3 times and it finally took a charge.  I don't have much trust in it though.
2017-8-7
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules