Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Disconnections since upgrading firmware?
12Next >
2502 45 2017-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb5a8fce5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7516 ft

Australia

iPhone 5S
Phantom 4
Controller app   4.1.5
App Database 01.00.01.04
DJI Assistant 2 V.1.1.2-2
Aircraft  v02.00.0106

PROBLEM: After the latest firmware upgrade the connection between the controller and aircraft is weak. Even with the devices close together, it keeps dosconnecting and connecting.  Sometimes a portion of an image displays.  Occassionally it announces it is OK for take off, but not often.  No matter what it keeps on connecting and disconnecting all the time.

I have direct connected the aircraft to the PC and refreshed the firmware a couple of times.  I have reestablished the link from the aircraft to the controller a few times. It never says connected but does stop trying in the timeframe that it takes to normally connect. I have replaced the cable between the phone  and controller three times.

The aircraft had not crashed or either dropped.

I do not have easy access to another phone to eliminate that possibility.

I have been told I cannot refresh the controller firmware, is this true?  The controller does not appear in the device list when using DJI Assistant 2 only the P4

Any thoughts anyone?

2017-7-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi. When you say it's disconnecting and reconnecting, are you referring to the transmitter signal (check the bars at top of app), or are you referring to the fact that the video breaks up (green screens, etc)? I ask because I note you're using an iPhone 5S which has the A7 CPU, and that struggles doing video decoding in the GO app now. Same with the iPad Mini 2 (using same chip)
2017-7-30
Use props
fansb5a8fce5
lvl.4

Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-30 17:16
Hi. When you say it's disconnecting and reconnecting, are you referring to the transmitter signal (check the bars at top of app), or are you referring to the fact that the video breaks up (green screens, etc)? I ask because I note you're using an iPhone 5S which has the A7 CPU, and that struggles doing video decoding in the GO app now. Same with the iPad Mini 2 (using same chip)

The status randomly jumps between "Aircraft Disconnected" or "Ready to Go" or"Weak Image Transmission".  It jumps from one state to another randomly but stays connected for only a second or two occasionally.
The controller led flickers red/green/yellow but is mainly red.
I have turned off the phone's Bluetooth and also WiFi.
I can move the gimbal up and down and that works normally but I can't see the image most of the time.
I did not have this issue before the upgrade.
Are you suggesting that the new software perhaps requires more cpu grunt?  I know the iPhone 5S struggles but it still used to go OK.
2017-7-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fansb5a8fce5 Posted at 2017-7-30 20:20
The status randomly jumps between "Aircraft Disconnected" or "Ready to Go" or"Weak Image Transmission".  It jumps from one state to another randomly but stays connected for only a second or two occasionally.

Punchbuggy is correct, the iPhone 5S is now a borderline device as far as DJI use is concerned. How does it work indoors? As suggested, what is the signal strength in bars?
2017-7-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansb5a8fce5 Posted at 2017-7-30 20:20

The latest app and firmware definitely require more grunt - firmware on both controller and craft were required, and so I'll assume that they've tweaked transmission drivers.

4 options as I see it:
Borrow a more recent phone/tablet and see if it's any better;
Refresh the firmware on the craft just in case there was a driver corruption on download;
Downgrade your P4 back to v.0610 using the dumbledore software (many links on how to do that now);
Try a different app on your 5S - like Litchi.
2017-7-30
Use props
fansb5a8fce5
lvl.4

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-30 20:27
Punchbuggy is correct, the iPhone 5S is now a borderline device as far as DJI use is concerned. How does it work indoors? As suggested, what is the signal strength in bars?

Interestingly the signal strength is either maximum or nothing.
Same behaviour even at a metre apart.
2017-7-30
Use props
fansb5a8fce5
lvl.4

Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-30 20:32
The latest app and firmware definitely require more grunt - firmware on both controller and craft were required, and so I'll assume that they've tweaked transmission drivers.

4 options as I see it:

Refreshed the firmware in the aircraft - no change.
Will try to borrow an iPhone/Pad to confirm and then purchase new hardware.
Thanks everyone for your help, I will keep you posted when I get confirmation.
2017-7-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The controller firmware of Phantom 4 has been upgraded to V.1.9.2.0, please make sure the aircraft firmware and controller firmware matched and link RC.
Phantom 4 Release Notes.png
2017-7-30
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The release notes also need refreshing, DJI Go 4 is now at V4.1.5 for iOS.
2017-7-31
Use props
fansb5a8fce5
lvl.4

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-7-30 23:39
The controller firmware of Phantom 4 has been upgraded to V.1.9.2.0, please make sure the aircraft firmware and controller firmware matched and link RC.

Aircraft firmware = match
Remote Controller Firmware Version 1.8.0
DJI GO 4 App IOS 4.1.5

So the remote controller firmware is not up to the recommended version.  When in 'About' there is a Check for Update it goes away for a few seconds but no suggestion of an update required.
When I go into the first screen of the DJI app, hold down the three bars, I can see V1.8.0 as the most recent version available in the picklist.  Refreshed controller firmware (1.8.0)  but no difference,
Don't understand why I am not seeing v1.9.2.0 ??  The DJI GO 4 app has no updates pending.
2017-7-31
Use props
fansed65a69e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34193 ft

France

I have a same problem on my dji Phantom 4.. I dowgrand the dji, try to launch with litchi... And the are the Red and green led on my remote controler.. Please help me ! Thanks
2017-7-31
Use props
fansb5a8fce5
lvl.4

Australia

fansed65a69e Posted at 2017-7-31 02:12
I have a same problem on my dji Phantom 4.. I dowgrand the dji, try to launch with litchi... And the are the Red and green led on my remote controler.. Please help me ! Thanks

What make,model of phone/tablet are you using?
2017-7-31
Use props
fansed65a69e
lvl.1

France

I use the Sony xperia Z3
2017-7-31
Use props
fansed65a69e
lvl.1

France

Anybody as the same problem ? Please is very important
2017-7-31
Use props
Tpost02
lvl.1
Flight distance : 116211 ft
United States

I am also having this problem.

Using the iPhone 7
on Mac OSX

Any updates?

Also when I connect the controller to Assistant 2 (Just updated to the most recent version) it requests I login, after I do this it says it cannot load the firmware list.
2017-8-14
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansb5a8fce5 Posted at 2017-7-31 01:58
Aircraft firmware = match
Remote Controller Firmware Version 1.8.0
DJI GO 4 App IOS 4.1.5

The RC not being at V1.9.2 is the problem (as you're aware of).

Try connecting Display device with a good internet connection & RC and power both up (aircraft off). After a short while you should get an indication in the 'aircraft status' menu (tap at top of screen where it says 'disconnected' to see).  This should indicate RC needs updating. Tap on this entry in status menu and follow path to upgrade. When done power up and reboot all, and that should be it.
2017-8-14
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tpost02 Posted at 2017-8-14 20:47
I am also having this problem.

Using the iPhone 7

I wonder if there's a server problem today ? I can't log into forum through DJI Go 4 at the moment (worked six hours ago). Now logged in via browser.
2017-8-14
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I'm getting the "Disconnected" error as well with an iPad Air 2 (Everything current, and 10.3.3 in iPad).  If I unplug and re-plug the Lightning/USB cable from the RC to the tablet it often connects back up.  Dunno why.

My maps are missing too in the small window which is just gray.

Bugs.
2017-8-15
Use props
Tpost02
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-14 22:25
The RC not being at V1.9.2 is the problem (as you're aware of).

Try connecting Display device with a good internet connection & RC and power both up (aircraft off). After a short while you should get an indication in the 'aircraft status' menu (tap at top of screen where it says 'disconnected' to see).  This should indicate RC needs updating. Tap on this entry in status menu and follow path to upgrade. When done power up and reboot all, and that should be it.

I tried this yesterday prior to you suggesting this and let both the RC and iPad (and phone later on) stay on and connected to each other and my wifi (and did it through my LTE on my phone in case it was the WIFI) and for about 5 min and i never got the indication in the disconnected screen, or at the main screen, or in the about: check for updates section.

For some reason it appears that the DJI go app and Assistant 2 when connected to the RC do not notice that it hasnt been updated and needs to update to 1.9.2
2017-8-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tpost02 Posted at 2017-8-15 09:25
I tried this yesterday prior to you suggesting this and let both the RC and iPad (and phone later on) stay on and connected to each other and my wifi (and did it through my LTE on my phone in case it was the WIFI) and for about 5 min and i never got the indication in the disconnected screen, or at the main screen, or in the about: check for updates section.

For some reason it appears that the DJI go app and Assistant 2 when connected to the RC do not notice that it hasnt been updated and needs to update to 1.9.2

Are you running latest version of DJI Go 4 ?
2017-8-15
Use props
Tpost02
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-15 09:29
Are you running latest version of DJI Go 4 ?

Yes and on my phone i deleted it and re-downloaded and installed it thinking maybe it got corrupted or something.
2017-8-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tpost02 Posted at 2017-8-15 09:34
Yes and on my phone i deleted it and re-downloaded and installed it thinking maybe it got corrupted or something.

Are you logged into your account in DJI Go 4 ?

When running DJI Go 4, tap on 'ME' at bottom of screen, then tap on 'cogwheel' at top right of screen (just below battery icon).  That should take you into 'Settings' menu where you can log in. Or if already logged in try logging out and back in.

Then try above again to see if update available.
2017-8-15
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

My Air 2 often shows disconnected now on both the P4 and the I2 unless I unplug it and plug it back in, then it connects.

More strange is my old Android that never connected now connects.  Benn a few months since I tried it, but it has taken a lot of Samsung updates lately.

More odd is the Air 2 shows no maps anymore with both drones, but it does with the Android.

Go figger!
2017-8-15
Use props
Tpost02
lvl.1
United States

Here is a video of what fansb5a8fce5 and I are talking about. It is 2:45 and shows various elements in question. Please view if you have the time to help us figure this out. Also would it help to take any other videos such as connecting the RC to Assistant and it having its firmware error stating it can't find the firmware list?

2017-8-15
Use props
fansb5a8fce5
lvl.4

Australia

Tpost02 Posted at 2017-8-15 17:21
Here is a video of what fansb5a8fce5 and I are talking about. It is 2:45 and shows various elements in question. Please view if you have the time to help us figure this out. Also would it help to take any other videos such as connecting the RC to Assistant and it having its firmware error stating it can't find the firmware list?

https://youtu.be/mpUACTcO8z4

I have been happily flying a stable ship for a while now using old firmware.

I decided to try the upgrade again on the RC and it did go up to 1.9.2  so I upgraded the aircraft to the latest V02.00.0106
It now flies like a hairy goat, same problem as everyone else is reporting even though I have the DJI recommended versions of everything.

The problem I had with disconnections and loss of video is no longer there and it seems like it was that the RC firmware was on an old level and would not update.  Interestingly the iPhone 5S was not the issue.
When the app is opened on the first screen there are three bars top right.  Press on them for more than 5 seconds and when released a firmware loader for the RC appears.  This firmware loader is defective for a couple of reasons.  I was able to reload the firmware back a couple of versions but then it would not move forward or back from there.  Also the latest level of firmware did not appear on the pick list.  So this firmware loader is useless.

Seems like the only way the RC firmware can update successfully is via an automatic app process or the "check for update" in the about section.
Soon I will revert the aircraft so I can have smooth flights again.  Meanwhile if it flies "ok" I will try the new features. eg. Tripod mode before reverting.
With this latest firmware the IMU calibration is the same as a P4 Pro and very different from what it was before the big upgrade.  
I noticed on YouTube that when doing the auto gimbal calibration on a P4 Pro that the gimbal goes back and forwards finding its limit points.  When my P4 gimbal calibration it did not do the gimbal swing?  For a while the gimbal reported "gimbal overloading' on the next flight probably because it did not have the end points set.

This is crap but at least I now have the same failure as everyone else.

Someone should have asked the DJI CEO "Do you want it now or do you want it to work" when he turned on the pressure for an early release.  I am assuming it will be fixed one day!
2017-8-16
Use props
fansb5a8fce5
lvl.4

Australia

What is your version of firmware on the remote controller?
2017-8-16
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

At 1:04 when the aircraft status menu is being displayed. Tap on line that says  'Overall Status' (The one with the red triangle at the right). I believe that may take you to the RC firmware update. That was how I did mine. And that is how I have described it to others and it has worked for them.

Make sure your display device has a good internet connection. Battery on RC also needs to be at least 50% charged, fully charged would be best.

That should update RC to 1.9.2. Reboot all, and connection to aircraft should be good.

2017-8-16
Use props
fansb5a8fce5
lvl.4

Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-16 05:45
At 1:04 when the aircraft status menu is being displayed. Tap on line that says  'Overall Status' (The one with the red triangle at the right). I believe that may take you to the RC firmware update. That was how I did mine. And that is how I have described it to others and it has worked for them.

Make sure your display device has a good internet connection. Battery on RC also needs to be at least 50% charged, fully charged would be best.

Initially there was no opportunity to upgrade but lately that auto option did appear.

Has anyone returned their P4 for warranty repair for the firmware issue and got it back all OK and on the latest firmware?
2017-8-16
Use props
PaulSouthport
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

Click on the red banner - "aircraft disconnected" - click on the warning triangle at the top
2017-8-16
Use props
fansb5a8fce5
lvl.4

Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-16 05:45

Aardvark True it fixed the connection problem but not the erratic flight.
Is the flight stable for you?
2017-8-16
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansb5a8fce5 Posted at 2017-8-16 05:54

The erratic flight is down to the firmware (or its installation process) on the aircraft.

Perhaps you have tried this already, but download latest version of DJI Assistant 2 (V1.1.2-2) from Here.

Using Assistant 2, and device with a good internet connection, try a 'Refresh' of aircraft firmware, followed by a 'Factory Reset'.

Repower all and that may help (I always do aircraft first, give it 30 seconds to initialise; then RC, then connect and run device with DJI Go 4).
2017-8-16
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansb5a8fce5 Posted at 2017-8-16 05:48
Initially there was no opportunity to upgrade but lately that auto option did appear.

Has anyone returned their P4 for warranty repair for the firmware issue and got it back all OK and on the latest firmware?

"Initially there was no opportunity to upgrade but lately that auto option did appear."

It may take a moment or two to appear as you say.
2017-8-16
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansb5a8fce5 Posted at 2017-8-16 05:54

"Is the flight stable for you?"

I believe so, I have not noticed the 'twitching' type erratic movement that I've seen on some videos. I've also softened out the controls a bit in the 'Expo' settings, and also the breaking. My aircraft hovers and moves smoothly (allowing for any wind of course). I'm currently trying to replicate the 4k@30fps and gimbal reset I've seen a few times. Since then I've moved from DJI Go 4 4.1.13 up to 4.1.15, and it has not showed itself in the few tests I've done so far. More required though before I could be sure on that one.

Edit:-

I also did the following calibrations after all updates done.

1) Sensors (Using DJI Assistant 2 v1.1.2-2, latest version), usually done just after update on Assistant 2.
2) IMU (level surface, make sure it's had time to cool down if it's been powered up, say half an hour at lowest ambient temperature, a cool evening or air conditioned room below 10 degrees C helps).  
Using the newer '3D' IMU calibration routine, my last two IMU calibrations have been done at about 20C ambient air temperature. The subsequent IMU warm up time when aircraft is first powered up and initialising does not seem to have been adversley affected, and warm up time is a few seconds at most.
3) Gimbal (just after IMU).
4) RC sticks (with aircraft off).
5) And compass (in an open area (not over steel reinforced concrete), away from ferrous materials or electromagnetic interference). Get one good calibration, and that should be all that is needed until informed by system or erratic flying that needs investigation. Note that any ferrous metals very close to legs (steel frame in desk, cutlery in kitchen drawer, windowsill strengthening etc) will generate a 'compass error', this does not mean compass needs recalibration. just move the aircraft away from source of interference.

2017-8-16
Use props
fansb5a8fce5
lvl.4

Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-16 06:18
"Is the flight stable for you?"

I believe so, I have not noticed the 'twitching' type erratic movement that I've seen on some videos. I've also softened out the controls a bit in the 'Expo' settings, and also the breaking. My aircraft hovers and moves smoothly (allowing for any wind of course). I'm currently trying to replicate the 4k@30fps and gimbal reset I've seen a few times. Since then I've moved from DJI Go 4 4.1.13 up to 4.1.15, and it has not showed itself in the few tests I've done so far. More required though before I could be sure on that one.

With the aircraft sitting on the desk and powered up perhaps for 30 mins or so, I notice the gimbal (main bearing) gets hot, can only just keep my finger on it.  Does yours heat up?  I didn't notice this with the previous firmware but may not have noticed?
2017-8-16
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansb5a8fce5 Posted at 2017-8-16 07:05
With the aircraft sitting on the desk and powered up perhaps for 30 mins or so, I notice the gimbal (main bearing) gets hot, can only just keep my finger on it.  Does yours heat up?  I didn't notice this with the previous firmware but may not have noticed?

I've not really been aware to be honest, but as the motor is operating all the time the I would expect there would be some heat generated.
2017-8-16
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1000272 ft
United States

fansb5a8fce5 Posted at 2017-8-16 05:48

DJI has authorized a return for repair on my P4 Standard for the erratic flying after the update. I'm really hesitant on sending it to them with the likely chance I'll get back somebody's refurbished one that crashed under warranty or something. Mine has very low flight time. For a firmware issue, and we all know that's what it is, I don't see any reason it can't be taken care of remotely and not having to send it in. DJI acknowledged that there are issues with the firmware so they must be planning on pushing a newer fixed version at some point. I'd rather wait for that then send it in.
2017-8-16
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pvt Pilot '79 Posted at 2017-8-16 09:05
DJI has authorized a return for repair on my P4 Standard for the erratic flying after the update. I'm really hesitant on sending it to them with the likely chance I'll get back somebody's refurbished one that crashed under warranty or something. Mine has very low flight time. For a firmware issue, and we all know that's what it is, I don't see any reason it can't be taken care of remotely and not having to send it in. DJI acknowledged that there are issues with the firmware so they must be planning on pushing a newer fixed version at some point. I'd rather wait for that then send it in.

"I'd rather wait for that then send it in."

That's what I would do, in the mean time you could always try some of the above (under the "Nothing to lose" theory). Or if really stuck, must have it now, then there is a third party method to roll back firmware that some have mentioned in other posts.
2017-8-16
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1000272 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-16 09:14
"I'd rather wait for that then send it in."

That's what I would do, in the mean time you could always try some of the above (under the "Nothing to lose" theory). Or if really stuck, must have it now, then there is a third party method to roll back firmware that some have mentioned in other posts.

True. They have to fix the issue one way or another and the logical thing will be to revise the firmware or the manner in which it is installed. They can do that over the phone instead of having everybody send them in.
2017-8-16
Use props
Tpost02
lvl.1
United States

fansb5a8fce5 Posted at 2017-8-16 05:16
What is your version of firmware on the remote controller?

Currently it is 1.8.0
2017-8-16
Use props
Tpost02
lvl.1
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-8-16 05:50
Click on the red banner - "aircraft disconnected" - click on the warning triangle at the top

THIS WORKED!!! Thank you very much, to many different places to update the RC firmware. I have not flown it yet but will try to tonight when it clears up a little. Then I can report back on the erratic flight.
2017-8-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules