Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark lost - fly away drone
12Next >
5114 60 2017-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ciesnik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 238750 ft
Germany

I lost my Spark 2 days ago.

Firmware was updated to the latest version. Compass was calibrated.

1. I started the Spark, waited until it got a strong GPS signal, then took off manually and slowly with RC to have it record the Home Point safely.
2. After 23s, when I was hovering at about 5m height - for a split of a second there was one warning: "atti mode" which disappeared immediately and all was green and fine again.
3. I went up to 33m - hovered a bit, to see if all is well.
4. Went then further up to 50m. Halted to check again if all is well.
5. Finally went up to 100m. Turned the Spark slowly around to record the view.
6. Flew then approx. 20m to the front and flew 10m back when it suddenly switched to ATTI mode. Battery was at 71% and the second before it was seeing 15 satellites with very good signal strength. The app showed a warning about magnetic intereference and right after that RTH will pass an NFZ, but actually it was hovering only 5 meters away from Home Point, so there was no point to pass a NFZ which was way farther away. Additionally, together with ATTI mode the app showed a red title bar saying "Aircraft disconnected", but I was still able to see the live preview. At this time I was not sure if it was still reacting to the remote or not.

It started to drift away quite fast. It made 360 meters in 60 seconds. I was going after it and trying to initiate RTH, but this was rejected due to ATTI mode.

At this height it was impossible to see the orientation of the drone and impossible to gain back control. At a distance of approx. 400m I lost signal completely and shortly after this I also lost sight of the Spark. It just flew away with 60% battery at approx. 20 Km/h.

I put together the cached video with the flight record:

I was already quite cautious and alarmed flying the drone, after reading other reports about it flying away or fall from the sky the days before. This is why (thank goodness) after each flight I copied the videos to the laptop - because I was never sure if the next flight is going to be the last flight. And now, after 4 weeks flying the Spark it happend to me - "Flyaway Spark".

In my opinion something like this should not happen. It had good GPS signal and still it switched to uncontrollable ATTI mode at high altitude.

I reported this to DJI yesterday (request ID: 659999).

The flight record can be found here: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/FP73BIFPA00TA7ZFVXO7/

2017-7-30
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Hi, Sorry for your lost. May I ask what is the blue dot  on your map?
2017-7-30
Use props
HamdiR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70262 ft
Cyprus

This forum will keep flooding with fly away and crashes, until we all admit the spark should have had occusync

Otherwise DJI should advertise this as a 50m selfie drone
2017-7-30
Use props
ciesnik
lvl.3
Germany

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-30 23:36

The blue dot shows my position with the controller. I was going in the direction where the Spark was flying away to keep sight of it until it disappeared completely.
2017-7-31
Use props
ciesnik
lvl.3
Germany

HamdiR Posted at 2017-7-30 23:53
This forum will keep flooding with fly away and crashes, until we all admit the spark should have had occusync

I am not sure if this fly away thing has something to do with WiFi vs. OccuSync. The only advantage here with OccuSync would be the extended range of the signal and thus more time to try to gain back control of the drone.

Unless, the intereferences and suddenly switching to ATTI mode has something to do with WiFi...
2017-7-31
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

ciesnik Posted at 2017-7-31 00:16
The blue dot shows my position with the controller. I was going in the direction where the Spark was flying away to keep sight of it until it disappeared completely.

Thank you for your explanation. Sorry to ask because I did not know you can enable your controller position on the map, I am using Android phone and the only icon I have on the map is the "H" mark. If I choose to change the homepoint to controller, the "H" mark just jump to the current position of the controller, and not moving.
How can you make your controller moving real-time like that on your map? Thanks..
2017-7-31
Use props
ciesnik
lvl.3
Germany

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-31 00:18
Thank you for your explanation. Sorry to ask because I did not know you can enable your controller position on the map, I am using Android phone and the only icon I have on the map is the "H" mark. If I choose to change the homepoint to controller, the "H" mark just jump to the current position of the controller, and not moving.
How can you make your controller moving real-time like that on your map? Thanks..

For the flying of the Spark I used an Android phone connected to the RC. The position of the Android phone was recorded in the flight record.

After losing the drone, I synched the flight record from the Android to DJI Cloud Servers and synched them back to an iPhone. What you see in the video on the left side is the playback of the flight record on an iPhone. And I did not need to turn anything special on to see the blue point / position of my controller during flight.
2017-7-31
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

ciesnik Posted at 2017-7-31 00:49
For the flying of the Spark I used an Android phone connected to the RC. The position of the Android phone was recorded in the flight record.

After losing the drone, I synched the flight record from the Android to DJI Cloud Servers and synched them back to an iPhone. What you see in the video on the left side is the playback of the flight record on an iPhone. And I did not need to turn anything special on to see the blue point / position of my controller during flight.

I see, thank you, and again, sorry for the lost, You can try to PM a DJI Moderator to get their attention.
2017-7-31
Use props
eylneb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

H marks your home point recorded by the drone..

blue dot = where the pilot is at...
2017-7-31
Use props
eylneb
Second Officer
Malaysia

look like a strong magnetic inteference occured.. might have disrupted the GPS position..
2017-7-31
Use props
eylneb
Second Officer
Malaysia

hmm it is actually reading the location of your phone... mine is also showing in iOS... do you have location services enabled on your phone?
2017-7-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-30 23:36

Blue dot is where photo taken.
2017-7-31
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

HamdiR Posted at 2017-7-30 23:53

occusync has nothing to do with flyaway prevention!  the mavic Pro has had similar issues still some random cases where it happened today.  occusync is simple a branded connection DJi has.. and it is very similar to wifi ..as in its range of frequencies it sweeps though,  are very close to that of wifi.. what makes it superior is its ability to avoid interference automatically and pick bands that aren't occupied..

also with the RC and the spark, plenty of people pushing out 1-2KM regularly... yes on auto wifi and using OTG.   some people getting as far as 2 miles on spark's wifi to the RC..

many theories on why Flyaways occur.  one of the most likely is based on invalid IMU readings.  IMU basically managing the angle/pitch/tilt as well as orientation and general movement in a solid state form.  compass is actually external of the IMU as fas as i know.. that is a second point of concern is potentially issue with the compass.  it gets confuses and sets off a weird flurry of events...

most every flyaway i had happen that was higher height (20M up) happened this way:   the Spark would first usually go from GPS lock with 10+ GPS signals to no GPS..the back to having full  GPS. to aircraft disconnected to no GPS to GPS OK to compass error, to disconnected to GPS OK..then tilt and and fly away then fly away all within like 5-10 seconds all of this weird stuff happened.  luckily it would realize something isnt right and paused, eventually i reconnect to spark and it would continue its random journey out but i could manually turn it around..

my lower flying area flyaways usually happened my much faster.. go from full GPS lock to no GPS to compass error to flyaway. as it flies away it disconnections....literally within 2-3 seconds rapidfire style..  then after it disconnects it usually instantly starts flying more erratically rising straight up as it flies out away and drifts to the side.  usually reconnecting after another 10 seconds.. usually very much last second before i would have lost it or put it into situation i was wanting to avoid like over a road or over water..  

i very often had recalibration prompt in app ..so i recalibrated every flight after just getting annoyed with its inconsistent requests.. i think i had hardware level problems...  if yours acts like this probably safest if you get it replaced.   

2017-7-31
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

Wow - that's a worry. When looking at old flight logs I have noticed a couple of occasions when I have had a warning saying RTH will pass an NFZ, even though I was only a short distance from the Spark and ALWAYS set and check the RTH point before taking off.

Strangely a direct flight to where I live and where I last flew the drone would pass through an NFZ, but the drone had been powered down for a long time between flights and as I said above, I always set and check the RTH point, which was showing correctly. I just kind of shrugged it off, but now I'm a bit worried.
2017-7-31
Use props
eylneb
Second Officer
Malaysia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-31 01:18
Blue dot is where photo taken.

hmmm i dont think soo...
2017-7-31
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

StarFishUK Posted at 2017-7-31 01:26
Wow - that's a worry. When looking at old flight logs I have noticed a couple of occasions when I have had a warning saying RTH will pass an NFZ, even though I was only a short distance from the Spark and ALWAYS set and check the RTH point before taking off.

Strangely a direct flight to where I live and where I last flew the drone would pass through an NFZ, but the drone had been powered down for a long time between flights and as I said above, I always set and check the RTH point, which was showing correctly. I just kind of shrugged it off, but now I'm a bit worried.

thinking about it.....

i wonder if NFZ updates and new restrictions are causing problems..  half the time  Dji app thought my front yard is Class D, class A, and thought my backyard is class E ..   i am in a class E zone(but only need to contact if im flying beyond 400 feet up).. all around me.. not just my backyard.   but apparently the app thought my front yard is an airport that is floating 10,000 feet up off the ground..and my backyard is safe to fly...   

2017-7-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-31 01:33
hmmm i dont think soo...

Sorry I was just joking, I thought everyone new what the blue dot was for, not making light of anything, but it's fairly clear what happened in this case, I explained to op yesterday what happened.
2017-7-31
Use props
eylneb
Second Officer
Malaysia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-31 01:50
Sorry I was just joking, I thought everyone new what the blue dot was for, not making light of anything, but it's fairly clear what happened in this case, I explained to op yesterday what happened.

phew.. thought i was wrong hhaha... here i was thinking.. how can hallmark007 make a mistake.. am i wrong?? is he right?? haha
2017-7-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-31 01:56
phew.. thought i was wrong  hhaha... here i was thinking.. how can hallmark007 make a mistake.. am i wrong?? is he right?? haha

No your exactly right, a lot of compass failures around these days, could something be effecting compass in spark, or is it just more people flying them now, I have no problems so far, I know dji are offering warranty to those Spark returned, so who knows I don't expect dji will be coming out telling us what happened, will keep one eye on this.
2017-7-31
Use props
ciesnik
lvl.3
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-31 02:03
No your exactly right, a lot of compass failures around these days, could something be effecting compass in spark, or is it just more people flying them now, I have no problems so far, I know dji are offering warranty to those Spark returned, so who knows I don't expect dji will be coming out telling us what happened, will keep one eye on this.

I was flying the Spark for about 4 weeks first in the US and then in Germany, and there was no such malfunction until this Saturday when I lost it.
2017-7-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ciesnik Posted at 2017-7-31 04:44
I was flying the Spark for about 4 weeks first in the US and then in Germany, and there was no such malfunction until this Saturday when I lost it.

I don't think location makes any difference, analysis of the log can tell what happened to your spark, it can also point to some reasons flyaway happened, although most will immediately say pilot error, there also can be an unknown problem in the AC, and by unknown I mean unknown to us here on this forum, but dji may know something else that we can't possibly see from just your flight log.
2017-7-31
Use props
fansfcc89423
lvl.3
United States

First i am sorry to hear about your spark, i have been using my spark with great success so far. Before buying my spark i have been doing a lot to try and educate myself on DJI products and how to use them understanding the DJI go 4 app etc. Since then i have learned a great deal about drone operation especially DJI products. Flyways was one of my main concerns and what i have come to learned so far is that magnetic interference is one of the main reasons for flyways messing with the compass etc on the drone. Before i launch my spark i always go into general settings go to compass/IMU on under both of theses feature it will show you how much magnetic interference there is. sometimes i have to move around until i get a green bar or dot on the compass side. same for the IMU make sure all good in there. these are some of my preflight check. Because to have a flyway would really suck, the idea is to have the compass and home point being uploaded properly is very important.  in your case the moment you see atii mode going back and forth yellow and green good to go there is interference somewhere land AC immediately and check for interference thats what i did and move around until i got good to excellent on the compass.
Also when i move to a deferent location that is miles apart i always recalibrate the compass. My spark as been great so far i flew it out over the ocean and the lake twice with no problems from my backyard a mile out with trees around as well. its been an amazing little bird the new firmware update make it even better. I have seen quite a few people on the forum with flyaway problems and spark falling out of the sky so it is also possible they have a defective product i hope DJI take care of them by doing right by them including yourself best whiches and keep us informed.
2017-7-31
Use props
Lord Business
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42989 ft
United States

Bummer... I am sorry to hear this.  I also had a flyaway incident like yours that came without any warning.   I got lucky; after losing control and communications it recovered and returned to home on its own landing about 20 meters from where it took off.  I am in the process of writing it up and sending the data to DJI.  
2017-7-31
Use props
Arrgee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5515 ft
Germany

Hello, I have exactly the same Problem that was showed by ciesnik.

I lost my Spark 1 day ago, the date was 30.07.2017 8.00 pm. Location was East Germany near to Chemnitz.

Firmware was updated to the latest version. Compass was calibrated.

1. I started the Spark, waited until it got a strong GPS signal, then took off manually and slowly with RC to have it record the Home Point safely.
2. After about 1 Minute I started a the QuickShot Funktion and flew the first Quickshot, after the End of the Quickshot the spark returned to the starting point and I started another Quickshot
3. After 2 minutes and 20 seconds the spark detected a magnetic field interference. Exit P-GPS Mode also it showed that it happend to go in a no flight zone, which isn't possible. (Screenshot App)
4. After that the spark flew away and I couldn't do anything.

I'm really angry right now, because there's 600 € flying away.

Screenshot_20170731-160648.png
2017-7-31
Use props
Didiko
First Officer
Flight distance : 18399 ft
Belgium

Very sad stories indeed...

I notice that you werebflying quite high and near sunset (almost dawn no?). Is this possibly a part of explanation?

Not sure but flying in low light is not recommended I guess.
2017-7-31
Use props
ciesnik
lvl.3
Germany

Didiko Posted at 2017-7-31 12:53
Very sad stories indeed...

I notice that you werebflying quite high and near sunset (almost dawn no?). Is this possibly a part of explanation?

Low light should not affect GPS or Compass. And I was flying within the "blue hour" timeframe which should not be a problem at all for a drone like the Spark IMHO.
2017-7-31
Use props
ciesnik
lvl.3
Germany

Arrgee Posted at 2017-7-31 12:39

I lost my Spark 1 day ago, the date was 30.07.2017 8.00 pm. Location was East Germany near to Chemnitz.

This reads very familiar to my case and makes me more worried about the product quality.
I don't know what to think about the Spark right now. I kind of lost my confidence in it, unless this issue can be fixed or somehow safeguarded by DJI.
2017-7-31
Use props
fansab7d98f9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7753 ft
United States

Good luck DJI will probably say pilot error and offer you 30% off.  Check out my video on YouTube  DJI spark and DJI Care Refresh.  Hope they help you out.
2017-7-31
Use props
Resqman911
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28045 ft
United States

I watched your video and have a question. When your AC switched to ATTI and started to drift the only stick input that I saw given was for the aircraft to descend ( left stick down ) , and the aircraft began descending , but you did not give any input to control the aircraft directionally ( right stick ). I could be missing something, but assuming that the flight log is showing correct stick inputs, you did nothing to control the directional flight of the aircraft.

I'am really beginning to think many of these fly aways, are not truely fly aways. Don't get me wrong there is an issue. The issue is the aircraft losing GPS lock and switching to ATTI mode, but once the aircraft is in ATTI mode it MUST BE ACTIVELY PILOTED, .  If you have never flown an RC aircraft, like a helicopter or a non GPS stabilized quadcopter you are going to have no clue how to fly the Spark.

I'am not blaming the pilots, I'm just saying that I dont believe a lot of these are true fly aways.
2017-7-31
Use props
Resqman911
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28045 ft
United States

Yeah I watched it again and the aircraft was responding to your stick inputs but the only thing you asked it to do was come down, which it was doing.
2017-7-31
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for your loss, since you've synced your flight records, could you please provide me with your DJI account email and the date this occurred? I'd like to forward it to our engineers for analysis. Did you receive a case number from the email support? If yes, please provide me your case number.
2017-7-31
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Lord Business Posted at 2017-7-31 11:27
Bummer... I am sorry to hear this.  I also had a flyaway incident like yours that came without any warning.   I got lucky; after losing control and communications it recovered and returned to home on its own landing about 20 meters from where it took off.  I am in the process of writing it up and sending the data to DJI.

I've replied your post, please check it.
2017-7-31
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Arrgee Posted at 2017-7-31 12:39

Sorry for your loss, have you synced your flight records on the APP? Please send an email with your DJI account email and the date this occurred to support.eu@dji.com, the support will create a case and submit a data analysis for you.
2017-7-31
Use props
fans656f0608
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48209 ft
United Kingdom

Now this has me a little worried. I've been flying for two weeks with no major issues until Sunday (first time with the new firmware). I took off with 16 satellites and checked the home point was recorded on the map. Flew for a couple of minutes about 40 meters out and brought it back close to me. With the aircraft maybe a metre or two away from me I then had the GPS signal disconnect and reconnect a few times followed by a message to say RTH path would pass through an NFZ.

I landed the Spark quickly and ended the flight. I just put it down to compass interference but I'm a bit worried to fly now.
2017-7-31
Use props
ciesnik
lvl.3
Germany

Resqman911 Posted at 2017-7-31 15:00
Yeah I watched it again and the aircraft was responding to your stick inputs but the only thing you asked it to do was come down, which it was doing.

At the moment when it occured, my app also showed "Aircraft disconnected" in a red bar at the top of the screen. So, I was puzzled whether it still reacts to the sticks or not. I was not able to see this in the situation. Only after editing the video together with the flight data I saw, that it was reacting indeed. What I could see on the screen was only the live stream, but no flight data.
I did not even see at that time, that it was descending because of my stick movement.
2017-7-31
Use props
ciesnik
lvl.3
Germany

fans656f0608 Posted at 2017-7-31 22:50
Now this has me a little worried. I've been flying for two weeks with no major issues until Sunday (first time with the new firmware). I took off with 16 satellites and checked the home point was recorded on the map. Flew for a couple of minutes about 40 meters out and brought it back close to me. With the aircraft maybe a metre or two away from me I then had the GPS signal disconnect and reconnect a few times followed by a message to say RTH path would pass through an NFZ.

I landed the Spark quickly and ended the flight. I just put it down to compass interference but I'm a bit worried to fly now.

I guess, you were lucky that it happend while it was just a meter away. How far away have you been to the next NFZ?
2017-7-31
Use props
fans656f0608
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48209 ft
United Kingdom

ciesnik Posted at 2017-7-31 22:58
I guess, you were lucky that it happend while it was just a meter away. How far away have you been to the next NFZ?

When the incident happened on Sunday I was about 6.5 miles away from the edge of a NFZ warning zone and in the weeks before that I'd been practicing in a local park that was 2.6 miles away from the edge of a warning zone.

The worrying thing is that it was telling me it was going to take a path home through a no fly zone when it was so close to me.
2017-7-31
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans656f0608 Posted at 2017-7-31 23:23
When the incident happened on Sunday I was about 6.5 miles away from the edge of a NFZ warning zone and in the weeks before that I'd been practicing in a local park that was 2.6 miles away from the edge of a warning zone.

The worrying thing is that it was telling me it was going to take a path home through a no fly zone when it was so close to me.

ever since DJi has stepped up this BS with flight zone restrictions and no fly zone enforcements, Mavic Pros and Sparks have been having a wild flurry of poor activity.    it seems to be related to rather poor implementation of the flight zones and restrictions causing it...  it seems to cause a hiccup in the processing chain which basically disrupts everything, right down to basically resetting GPS for a split moment.

the good news is you played your cards right, moment is a hiccup in the chain of events.. get a compass/IMU error, land it manually..regardless how legit or not that error maybe, not worth having the spark get confused and flying the wrong way.  if we could have VPS/Atti mode as a manual trigger on the spark that would also be good.. to stop the automated systems tugging it the wrong way.  

side note, for everyone.   only use return to home as a last resort.   if your drone whatever it maybe, spark, mavic, phantom... reasoning is during the flurry of glitches and interruptions in the processor... return to home can sometimes reset itself, in App it may show its at your feet, but in the drone's computers its somewhere else.. if all options are exhausted, then use RTH...

note to everyone: if you get a compass error land it right away, manually or click land button.. do not click return to home, dont attempt to fly it home... land it asap.. if it is a half mile away, i feel sorry for you but you have to race to it if you are worry someone will grab it...     but if its grounded atleats it wont run amuck and get or break windows or hit a car or fall on a child..
2017-7-31
Use props
ciesnik
lvl.3
Germany

UPDATE regarding my fly away case:

I just received an email from DJI Support, that my case will be treated as a warranty case and I will receive a Spark as replacement. Thanks to DJI for the quick and uncomplicated response.

But, what still remains is the feeling that there is an issue with the Spark and something like this might happen again. Once I have a Spark again, I will definitely not be flying it as relaxed as before anymore until the reason for the malfunction is identified, resolved or instructions will be given how to avoid this from happening.
2017-8-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ciesnik Posted at 2017-8-1 23:25
UPDATE regarding my fly away case:

I just received an email from DJI Support, that my case will be treated as a warranty case and I will receive a Spark as replacement. Thanks to DJI for the quick and uncomplicated response.

Good job, did you ask them for a dat report on what happened, it might help others to know what the cause might be.
Although dji usually play this sort of thing close to there chest. Hope your back flying soon.
2017-8-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules