(WARNING) ADVISE to ALL Spark owners! IMPORTANT
2725 16 2017-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

I've been analising DJI SPARK problems on this forum, looking at flight logs of fly away drones, almost EVERY flight that leads to Flyaway (yaw error, compass error, loss of signtal) problem the pilot has received a compass warning in the first minute of flight and decided to keep flying even when see the warning, my advise is:

IF YOU RECEIVE A COMPASS ERROR WARNING ON DJI GO SCREEN - GET BACK AND LAND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE - MOVE TO ANOTHER INTERFERENCE FREE PLACE AND DO ALL THE PRE FLIGHT CHECKS AGAIN.

>> EVEN IF THE WARNING ARE IN THE FIRST SECONDS OF FLIGHT AND DONT APPEAR AGAIN <<

>> EVEN IF THE WARNING ITS JUSTS FOR A SPLIT SECOND! AND DISAPPEAR!!! <<

>> EVEN IF THE WARNING GO AWAY AND DONT COME BACK IN THE NEXT MINUTES <<

>> ALWAYS KEEP THE PHONE VOLUME HIGH - TO LISTEN WARNINGS, NOT JUST SEE ON SCREEN <<

WARNINGS ARE NOT MEANT TO BE IGNORED, ARE MEANT TO HELP!!

If you want to check what i am saying, just take a look and analyse flightlogs of various flyways post on this forum, theres a guy that receive 15 warnings! yes, 15! some of then right after the drone take off, and decided to force the flight going to a considerable altitude and distance and his drone flyaway ( there are more cases of users forcing flight after receiving warnings).
2017-7-31
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Brazil

I know that this is not supose to be happening, if the compass go back to normal after a warning and the user dont receive other warning its supose to everything its fine,

BUT ITS NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING ON REAL LIFE - So whe need to be very very carefull.
2017-7-31
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

Thanks for that info, i will follow this advice.
2017-7-31
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Melhor prevenir do que remediar, né?

Obrigado pela dica.
2017-7-31
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2017-7-31 03:30

Obrigado pela dica.

Seu direito, bem posto!
2017-7-31
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Brazil

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2017-7-31 03:30

Obrigado pela dica.

Com certeza Adriano, infelizmente quando algo não está 100% temos que ter todo o cuidado do mundo! Afinal, é bem melhor retornar e perder uma possível boa filmagem, do que arriscar e perder todo o Drone.

Como disse, tenho analisado os logs de vôo do pessoal que tem tido flyaway e em varios casos ( basicamente todos), os donos do spark forçaram o vôo mesmo depois de ver o aviso no aplicativo. O ápice disso foi o rapaz que viu 15 avisos durante o vôo, sendo o primeiro logo nos primeiros segundos de vôo e simplesmente em vez de voltar, decidiu continuar voando como se nada tivesse acontecido e por sinal, indo bem longe com o drone.
2017-7-31
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Totally agree that people need to be careful with the warnings. I have posted long time ago but it worth mentioning again to strengthen your warning:
From the very first day of Spark release, I bought a separated extra battery, when plugged in, it warned me compass error, just a few seconds. I then still got > 10 satellites but no home point record. I decided to do auto take-off. The aircraft drifted and kept jumping between Atti and GPS (Even though I had >10 satellites, and in an open area). I then landed immediately, re-run the firmware and re-calibrate everything, no problem after that.
So, again, always fly with caution.
2017-7-31
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Canada

STech - Hathder Posted at 2017-7-31 03:35
Com certeza Adriano, infelizmente quando algo não está 100% temos que ter todo o cuidado do mundo! Afinal, é bem melhor retornar e perder uma possível boa filmagem, do que arriscar e perder todo o Drone.

Como disse, tenho analisado os logs de vôo do pessoal que tem tido flyaway e em varios casos ( basicamente todos), os donos do spark forçaram o vôo mesmo depois de ver o aviso no aplicativo. O ápice disso foi o rapaz que viu 15 avisos durante o vôo, sendo o primeiro logo nos primeiros segundos de vôo e simplesmente em vez de voltar, decidiu continuar voando como se nada tivesse acontecido e por sinal, indo bem longe com o drone.

Isso é definitivamente imprudente para um piloto fazer isso. O senso comum deveria ter sido definido!
2017-7-31
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

"Como disse, tenho analisado os logs de vôo do pessoal que tem tido flyaway e em varios casos ( basicamente todos), os donos do spark forçaram o vôo mesmo depois de ver o aviso no aplicativo. O ápice disso foi o rapaz que viu 15 avisos durante o vôo, sendo o primeiro logo nos primeiros segundos de vôo e simplesmente em vez de voltar, decidiu continuar voando como se nada tivesse acontecido e por sinal, indo bem longe com o drone."

Basically, Spark is the first drone for most people, who tent to use it as a “toy”.

I do agree that most cases of problems are user related.

Maybe the DJI marketing it as “simple”, “selfie drone” and “fly by itself” have a point here.

After all, it´s an aircraft. Look all the rules private and commercial aircafts have to obey.

Adriano.
2017-7-31
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Brazil

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2017-7-31 03:53
"Como disse, tenho analisado os logs de vôo do pessoal que tem tido flyaway e em varios casos ( basicamente todos), os donos do spark forçaram o vôo mesmo depois de ver o aviso no aplicativo. O ápice disso foi o rapaz que viu 15 avisos durante o vôo, sendo o primeiro logo nos primeiros segundos de vôo e simplesmente em vez de voltar, decidiu continuar voando como se nada tivesse acontecido e por sinal, indo bem longe com o drone."

I agree, people tend to use it like a toy.

2017-7-31
Use props
tedder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91522 ft
Netherlands

advice: terrible subject line.
2017-7-31
Use props
JaredD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298957 ft
Australia

I don't take off in ATTI mode any more just to avoid any issues.
2017-7-31
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

JaredD Posted at 2017-7-31 16:27
I don't take off in ATTI mode any more just to avoid any issues.

unfortunately.. as of right now, the Spark does not allow us to manually change modes.. sometimes the spark is as dumb as a loaf of bread about things.   

what needs to happen is DJi needs to allow us to manually toggle modes..  GPS, VPS, Atti..  i would likely assign ATTi or VPS my FN button.. but i wouldn't mind if it was menu driven also but a button..as long as i could assign a button for it..  that way i could prevent flyaways.   a lot of flyaways occur when the drone is confused..
2017-7-31
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-31 16:45
unfortunately.. as of right now, the Spark does not allow us to manually change modes.. sometimes the spark is as dumb as a loaf of bread about things.   

what needs to happen is DJi needs to allow us to manually toggle modes..  GPS, VPS, Atti..  i would likely assign ATTi or VPS my FN button.. but i wouldn't mind if it was menu driven also but a button..as long as i could assign a button for it..  that way i could prevent flyaways.   a lot of flyaways occur when the drone is confused..

not sure how this will help, with the option to select... well i guess there are some use for it as i think phantom series can toggle.. hhaha
in order for VPS to work, there are criteria to meet.. no point having to toggle if the criterias are not met. ie hegiht, brighness, non reflective surface, etc....

If there is no GPS signal and you are above 5 meter, VPS will not work as its too high to read as the sensors has height lmit.. The drone has no choice but to switch to Atti mode

If GPS is weak and is too dark, VPS will not work. Drone will swtich to ATTI mode..

ATTI Mode = manual (can't stay put, you will need to adjust the joysticks to stay put), as there is no  way spark knows its " drifting away because there isn't any input from GPS and VPS

how your spark stays in 1 place with out drifting is because of GPS or VPS, it adjust each motor speed, to stay in 1 place.  

DJI drones aren't really toy grade.. if you want toy grade drones, buy syma, hubsan, etc they are way cheaper....
2017-7-31
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-31 18:24
not sure how this will help, with the option to select...
in order for VPS to work, there are criteria to meet.. no point having to toggle if the criterias are not met. ie hegiht, brighness, non reflective surface, etc....

well VPS is basically an assisted ATTi mode....  its still ATTi mode but more stable as long as cameras/IR sensors aren't blind.   

most people fly during the day... i fly during the day also, having VPS would be helpful and more stable..   if not enough light it will just be full manual.

i know VPS kicked in for me once 200' feet up and it seemed to work for the short time it happened up there.
2017-7-31
Use props
LotusFan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48783 ft
United States

Hey, I had a Fly Away start to happen while using the goggles....I hit my now favorite button on the remote control:  PAUSE!!  and it stopped running away, and I was able to retake control.
Am I the only one who tried the PAUSE || button during a Fly Away event?
2017-8-5
Use props
fans1bc81f59
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19488 ft
United States

One of the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys! For most hobbyists, the drone is an expensive, sophisticated toy. A toy that should be handled very carefully so it can be enjoyed to the fullest.  I've been wanting to buy a drone, a good one, but my wife would kill me if I spent thousands on a drone. With the Spark. I finally am able to afford one!  I love photography and the Spark does a very nice job.  As a newbie I've been flying in beginners mode and am looking forward to graduating to an advance user.  Flying to Portland in two weeks and looking forward to take Sparkie with me!
2017-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules