Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
HELP - Flicker and/or grainy footage
1101 7 2017-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfb11b6eb
New
Flight distance : 42595 ft
France

Hello,

I noticed a strange artifact on a couple of my shots and I don't know how to correct the problem.

For example, take a look at the video below. I was filming at 4k - 30fps -1/60 shutter / ISO 100/ ND16 filter / None (profile) / Sunny balance. +1. 0. 0.

I've tried reducing the sharpness but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Look at 40s for the flickering around the trees and right after that, when the camera pans down, you can see the image gets all grainy.

Any idea what's going on?

2017-7-31
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

OK, I watched.  I don't see what you are talking about.  Are you shooting in .mov or .mp4?  Sorry.
2017-7-31
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

Didnt notice anything at 40sec but at 33sec (alias over the grey triangle dome) is definitely a result of the +1 sharpening... You can also try to fly slower, in my experience the camera has trouble catching up with fast jerky movements especially at 4k and especially with sharpening +1
2017-7-31
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

A couple  or three things, one, the None profile isn't actually giving you the unprocessed video you might be expecting, for that you'd want the True Color profile. None boosts green, which may be making the system work harder than normal in hiding the tilt shot's compression artifacts.

Two, you need a faster frame rate to keep up with your pans and moves, especially the aforementioned tilt shot, which is notoriously hard to compress to begin with.

Three, the graininess looked to me like oversharpening. I think you rarely need to boost sharpening on the Mavic's camera except when low light levels start causing mushiness.

Hope this helps, that's a cool location!

2017-7-31
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

So roughly the way the H264 compression works is that the algorithm takes a set of spaced frames called keyframes, then interpolates the content between said keyframes. This kind of compression approach has difficulty with areas of solid or near solid color because there are not enough details to work with, so in these cases you see a sort of static or noise that doesn't move between keyframes, causing jumpiness in affected areas. The None profile boosts the saturation in green, potentially smearing detail, so you'll see the effect is more pronounced in the grassy areas.
2017-7-31
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-31 17:14
So roughly the way the H264 compression works is that the algorithm takes a set of spaced frames called keyframes, then interpolates the content between said keyframes. This kind of compression approach has difficulty with areas of solid or near solid color because there are not enough details to work with, so in these cases you see a sort of static or noise that doesn't move between keyframes, causing jumpiness in affected areas. The None profile boosts the saturation in green, potentially smearing detail, so you'll see the effect is more pronounced in the grassy areas.

Wow, never knew that, particularly about the None profile.
Certainly sounds like you have nailed the problem on the head.
2017-7-31
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-31 20:33
Wow, never knew that, particularly about the None profile.
Certainly sounds like you have nailed the problem on the head.

Yeah, you'd think None would mean, well, none.
2017-8-1
Use props
fansfb11b6eb
New
Flight distance : 42595 ft
France

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-31 17:02
A couple  or three things, one, the None profile isn't actually giving you the unprocessed video you might be expecting, for that you'd want the True Color profile. None boosts green, which may be making the system work harder than normal in hiding the tilt shot's compression artifacts.

Two, you need a faster frame rate to keep up with your pans and moves, especially the aforementioned tilt shot, which is notoriously hard to compress to begin with.

Wow thanks! I didn't know the None profile wasn't actually None.

I'll try this weekend again and see how it goes.
2017-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules