Audio
1029 10 2017-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

Has anybody figured out how to record audio from the drone without hearing only the noise from the blades?

Like hearing the crowd cheering at a football game or music at an outdoor concert, etc, etc, etc.

Every time I show a video to somebody, they ALWAYS ask "where is the sound"?  And all I can tell them is that it would be impossible to hear anything except the blades.

Is that still true?  Thank you in advance for any input or info!!!
2017-7-31
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

put a mic on the ground, near the thing you want to record.
2017-7-31
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-7-31 22:17
put a mic on the ground, near the thing you want to record.

But then you have to sync it up with the video somehow. That's the problem
2017-8-1
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Uncle Stumpy Posted at 2017-8-1 11:23
But then you have to sync it up with the video somehow. That's the problem

I am assuming you got a Go Pro hanging from it. I don't know of any Phantom 3's that record audio. Audio is added in post production of the video.
2017-8-1
Use props
cgh1
lvl.1

United States

To sync up your audio and video:
Start your ground-based/external audio recorder just before takeoff.  Also just prior to takeoff, stand/sit in front of the drone camera such that you're in focus.  Press "Record" on drone and clap your hands in the frame of the drone's camera - I suggest vertical clap (hand on top and bottom) instead of a "normal applause" clap - so that the actual impact of your hands making the sound can be seen clearly by the camera.  You MUST do this within range of your audio recorder such that it can be clearly recorded there too.  This is basically a "poor man's slate" - that thing you see when movie makers clap the little board with scene, take, and other info written on it.  

Now when you edit, you can easily sync up the audio & video by aligning that clap on the front end of both recordings; without having to ferret out any time-code that may or may not be exposed for your  use or access.

Of course, an alternative is to actually get a slate with a clapper (sometimes known as a 'clap board') and use that.  You can get them pretty cheap on Amazon, eBay, etc. - like $20-30 for one that will work just like the big boys used before they went to e-slates (that still use the old school clapper device.)

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
C
2017-8-1
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

This is not possible. There's a reason why there's no mic on the drone itself.  All you'd hear is loud buzzing the whole time. Even if you hovered over the largest football stadium in the world, all the crowd noises will not drown out the sound of the buzzing.  If you look at old Drone Videos of Phantom 2s and older, you can hear the buzzing. It's pretty loud. That's because they were carrying Go Pros with mic built in.

What I would do is have someone 'record' whatever you want to record on the ground and dub it in once you do the final edit.
2017-8-1
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Blackbeagle Posted at 2017-8-1 12:22
This is not possible. There's a reason why there's no mic on the drone itself.  All you'd hear is loud buzzing the whole time. Even if you hovered over the largest football stadium in the world, all the crowd noises will not drown out the sound of the buzzing.  If you look at old Drone Videos of Phantom 2s and older, you can hear the buzzing. It's pretty loud. That's because they were carrying Go Pros with mic built in.

What I would do is have someone 'record' whatever you want to record on the ground and dub it in once you do the final edit.

I do this all the time with my race quads, I mount a mobious run cam on the quad, it records video in up to 4K and the audio, yes all you can hear is the props ( which is kinda cool and I like having it in the post produced video), All I do in post is reduce the volume level of the mobious audio track so it is faint in the background, then lay in another audio track ( let's say Born to be wild by Stepp'in Wolf  Mp3 file ) increase the volume of that track, export the whole thing as an MP4. Now you can hear the quad motors whine up when you do 180's, funnels and flips in the background while the music track is primary audio. Makes for a nice effect.
2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Actually, the drone does not have audio and we do not suggest to hang anything on the aircraft. There is one function of Record Audio with Video Cache in DJI GO 4 may be helpful, but it is only available for P4 or later series. Just for reference.
2017-8-1
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

If its only audio you want .... the cheap 13gr $5 808 keycam is good enough ...

Nigel
2017-8-1
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-1 15:37
I do this all the time with my race quads, I mount a mobious run cam on the quad, it records video in up to 4K and the audio, yes all you can hear is the props ( which is kinda cool and I like having it in the post produced video), All I do in post is reduce the volume level of the mobious audio track so it is faint in the background, then lay in another audio track ( let's say Born to be wild by Stepp'in Wolf  Mp3 file ) increase the volume of that track, export the whole thing as an MP4. Now you can hear the quad motors whine up when you do 180's, funnels and flips in the background while the music track is primary audio. Makes for a nice effect.

Mobious run cam? Those are two different products. There is the "Mobius" camera, then there are the RunCam cameras. Also, neither of them record at 4K. They record at 1080p 60 at best.
2017-8-3
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

HWCM Posted at 2017-8-3 22:57
Mobious run cam? Those are two different products. There is the "Mobius" camera, then there are the RunCam cameras. Also, neither of them record at 4K. They record at 1080p 60 at best.

Your right my mistake I use the Firefly 6S on my FPV Quads, got mobius on the brain, been looking at them while I was posting.
2017-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules