Samsung S8+ and DJI GO Problems
3152 26 2017-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
x5pilot
New
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

I've had my Mavic for serveral months and it was working perfectly on a Samsung S6 both using Andriod 6 and 7.
However 6 weeks ago I got a new Samsung S8+ and I've had nothing but problems with the DJI Go app.
I've been watching the various reports and suggestted solutions from various sources both on here and other sites and as I'm generally an early adoptor of new technology I was prepared to wait until DJI provided some kind of update... however nothing has shown up and Im now starting to get a little bit fustrated with the investement I've made in my drone and the DJI brand.
I've had everything from random signal loss (RTH works) to now no detection of the drone at all.
So, my question... Is there a fix? Have I missed something?
Yes I read and tried the whole clear cache, reinstall, screeen res reduce however with no success - in fact each time I try the app seems to get even less responsive.
To be honest I'm not looking for a compromised tech solotion - I want what I paid for and a suitable app to operate my drone on!
I've even bought another S6 phone (running Andriod 7) and DJI works fine.

Thank you in advance to any suggestions!

2017-8-1
Use props
Crash45
lvl.1
United States

Curious as well... I have the S8+ and the DJI Go app has crashed a couple of times. Tried connecting to both USB ports on the RC and different data cables to connect but same issues.
2017-8-1
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

The S8 and the S8+ should be almost identical with regard to software running on them.
I am using the S8 with DJI GO 4 and I have never had any problems.
Many other users on this forum are happy to use the S8/S8+ with the DJI GO 4 app.

Could you be more specific and give detailed examples of the problems you have with DJI Go 4?

Is your S8+ rooted?
What other apps are running on your S8+, i.e. are they all trustworthy apps?
How much internal memory is available in your S8+ for the DJI GO 4 app?
2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Could you please answer MARSAN's questions? Have you tried to run the DJI GO 4 APP when your phone is in the airplane mode?
2017-8-1
Use props
Crash45
lvl.1
United States

Not sure about OP, but for me, the phone is not rooted and the only other apps that might have been running are default apps like messages, etc.  I usually kill all other apps prior to connecting to the drone though and I have over half of memory left available.  
2017-8-1
Use props
RobDownUnder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103609 ft
Australia

I think a lot of users are curious about experience with the S8 phones. I have an S8 and I have used my wife's s7edge and no issues with either, but like Crash 45 I'm a beginner with 30 odd flights. I have not tried flying using the phone alone, but have always used the controller. My main issue with S8 is that if the cable is in the slider, you cannot access the upper or lower menu/setting bars if you need an adjustment. With the phone freed from the slider, you can lock onto the cord with the phone hung low in the jaws, and access to functions becomes practical.

Initially I started in flight mode, but have left all settings as default as per Samsung. I do close background aps and start with phone 80% or more charged.

May be the moderator can set up a survey for S8 users to get a handle on how wide spread these issues are. We need problems identified, but I think we need to see how widespread. Maybe then do a comparison of settings etc among users.
2017-8-1
Use props
LittleMaster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14547 ft
Saudi Arabia

Uninstall the APP, then open the DJI official website, go the Download page of Mavic, scan the QR code to download the APP, you'll get a right APP which is compatible with the resolution of your S8+.
2017-8-1
Use props
skygunner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1795 ft
United States

IMG_0001[576].JPG My Mavic Pro and S8+, also have no problems running the DJI App.
2017-8-1
Use props
x5pilot
New
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-1 19:20
Could you please answer MARSAN's questions? Have you tried to run the DJI GO 4 APP when your phone is in the airplane mode?

Hi Diana/Marsan,

Thanks for your questions.
The phone  (S8+) was installed with the DJI Go4 from new and has been updated with the latest release of the app (4.1.4) from the Google Play Store as and when released from DJI. In fact the DJI App was one of the first Apps I installed when I got the phone from new.

The phone is not rooted and is being used as a typical phone with typical apps consistent with my old S6 phone using Android 7.

There are no APK extensions or SDKs installed that might question the stability of the phone.

The issues I've been experiencing are predominantly connection issues and disconnection issues.
Eg. Switch Mavic on, RC and load DJI GO app - results in "Aircraft Disconnection" message top left of screen. I try rebooting Mavic drone and RC then I might get a connection long enough to take off, but then the screen turn monochrome (BW) and I loose any connection - fortunately the RTH still works.

I've also had the Screen res warning message upon startup - but dropped the resolution and reinstalled the App to "cure" this to the point the App loads ok.
I've tried replacing the supplied cable too.
The phone is always patched with the latest updates from Samsung/Google.
There is plenty of free internal memory available and I always do an "Optimise" prior to running the DJI Go App. There is an SD card installed
I've not tried using in Flight Mode exclusively but I will today and will report back.
Thanks for your help!
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

RobDownUnder Posted at 2017-8-1 22:07
I think a lot of users are curious about experience with the S8 phones. I have an S8 and I have used my wife's s7edge and no issues with either, but like Crash 45 I'm a beginner with 30 odd flights. I have not tried flying using the phone alone, but have always used the controller. My main issue with S8 is that if the cable is in the slider, you cannot access the upper or lower menu/setting bars if you need an adjustment. With the phone freed from the slider, you can lock onto the cord with the phone hung low in the jaws, and access to functions becomes practical.

Initially I started in flight mode, but have left all settings as default as per Samsung. I do close background aps and start with phone 80% or more charged.

"My main issue with S8 is that if the cable is in the slider, you cannot access the upper or lower menu/setting bars if you need an adjustment. "

It is not clear to me, which menu/setting you are referring to.
What do you mean?
When my S8 is locked in the RC, I can access all menus and settings of the DJI GO 4 app on my S8.
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

x5pilot Posted at 2017-8-2 01:12
Hi Diana/Marsan,

Thanks for your questions.

You write "I've tried replacing the supplied cable too.".
Would that be the short USB Type-C cable that connects your S8+ to the RC?
Did you actually replace that cable finally?
What does "plenty of free internal memory" mean?
Does your S8+ have at least 1GB of free RAM for the DJI GO 4 app?
2017-8-2
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 185449 ft
Finland

I have not had any problems with S8+ (DJI GO 4 app 4.1.3) and Mavic Pro while flying. If the app stays in the backround after flying it drains the battery, but that is another story....

I have not tried the DJI GO 4 app 4.1.4 yet. I downloaded  it yeasterday though.
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Lay Posted at 2017-8-2 02:51
I have not had any problems with S8+ (DJI GO 4 app 4.1.3) and Mavic Pro while flying. If the app stays in the backround after flying it drains the battery, but that is another story....

I have not tried the DJI GO 4 app 4.1.4 yet. I downloaded  it yeasterday though.

You can put the DJI GO 4 app to sleep permanently on an S8/S8+.
Add the app in Device Maintenance > Battery > Always sleeping apps or long press the DJI GO 4 app and select Sleep in the pop-up menu.
2017-8-2
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-2 03:01
You can put the DJI GO 4 app to sleep permanently on an S8/S8+.
Add the app in Device Maintenance > Battery > Always sleeping apps or long press the DJI GO 4 app and select Sleep in the pop-up menu.

I have allready done that and it works.  I still think it is a bad programming and there is no need to constantly trying to send/receive data while not in use and it should be fixed asap.
2017-8-2
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an S8+ and can operate the DJI Go app and the DJI Go 4 app. I initially had issues connecting my Osmo Mobile to the phone but I took it to an uncongested (signal) area to connect Bluetooth and all is well. The reason I don't use my S8+ to fly is I like to record the screen as I'm flying and the App I use crashes. So I use my Note 5 and it works everytime.
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Lay Posted at 2017-8-2 03:08
I have allready done that and it works.  I still think it is a bad programming and there is no need to constantly trying to send/receive data while not in use and it should be fixed asap.

You can deactivate unnecessary permissions for the DJI GO 4 app.
This is what I have chosen to do - see attached screenshot.
Suggestions are welcome.
Screenshot_20170802-150632.png
2017-8-2
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

LittleMaster Posted at 2017-8-1 23:22
Uninstall the APP, then open the DJI official website, go the Download page of Mavic, scan the QR code to download the APP, you'll get a right APP which is compatible with the resolution of your S8+.

Are there really multiple APPs.  I thought only one APP (for Android).
2017-8-2
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-2 05:08
You can deactivate unnecessary permissions for the DJI GO 4 app.
This is what I have chosen to do - see attached screenshot.
Suggestions are welcome.

Good point. Thanks. I will do the same + mic. I don't need that
2017-8-2
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Lay Posted at 2017-8-2 02:51

Ditto  with Lay.  No problems flying.  BTW I did initially have problems with the connector to the phone, but I removed it from the slide and connect the phone before inserting the phone in the holders.  Also have the persistent GO processes lurking in the background.
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Lay Posted at 2017-8-2 05:42
Good point. Thanks. I will do the same + mic. I don't need that

The microphone would be necessary, if you've activated audio caching in the MC settings of the DJI GO 4.
2017-8-2
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Finland

I turned the audio chaching off after the first flight. Don't really like to hear myself when watching the videos
2017-8-2
Use props
RobDownUnder
lvl.4
Australia

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-2 02:23
"My main issue with S8 is that if the cable is in the slider, you cannot access the upper or lower menu/setting bars if you need an adjustment. "

It is not clear to me, which menu/setting you are referring to.

At the top and bottom of the S8 screen are pull down (or up) menus to adjust brightness flight mode etc or on he bottom bar, the home button etc. When the cable is in the slider, the phone goes too deep into the controller jaws for my fat fingers to access.
2017-8-2
Use props
RobDownUnder
lvl.4
Australia

Just checked - using 4.1.4 probably from the start as I do not recall an upgrade coming through. Loaded software 29/067/2017.
2017-8-2
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

RobDownUnder Posted at 2017-8-2 17:19
At the top and bottom of the S8 screen are pull down (or up) menus to adjust brightness flight mode etc or on he bottom bar, the home button etc. When the cable is in the slider, the phone goes too deep into the controller jaws for my fat fingers to access.

Are you serious about your fat fingers?
Well, the top of the S8 is physically still at the top, when clamped into the RC, and I find that this part is easily reachable.
If you still want to reach the Home and Back buttons, don't push the S8 too deep into the left jaw of the RC clamp.
Experiment.
BTW, that RC cable slider is a pain in the jaw and was the first thing I removed. Now it's much easier to plug the cable into the phone.
2017-8-3
Use props
x5pilot
New
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

Sorry for not being in touch, but terrible weather plus vacation time has got in the way of my flying.
However....
I took the Mavic out several times over the last few days and I'm happy to report following one simple "workaround" I've had flawless operation!
Just to confirm my setup... Using Samsung 8+ using Android 7.0 (all latest updates & firmware) also using any resolution (from HD+ up to WQHD+) by switching the phone into FLIGHT MODE I was able to eliminate ANY of my originally reported issues!
There's no doubt I'm delighted with this and I can work with this as a fix however does beg the question how long before I can expect to be able to operate without entering a flight safe mode?
I can confirm cables, storage space, app permissions and sleep off/on had no positive or negative on my operations .
Thank you to Diana for suggesting flight mode.
2017-8-17
Use props
fans558d6bea
New

India

Hi. I recently bought a samsung galaxy s8 plus. Tried flying my Mavic for the first time using my new phone but it just won't connect. The remote controller does connect to the aircraft but there's no live view (The phone does starts charging). I probably tried all the troubleshooting techinques like
1.) Reinstalling the app.
2.) Changing the connector cable.
3.) Restarting the Remote / aircraft / phone.
4.) Enabling the Developer mode.
5.) Using the QR code on DJI's website to download the DJI Go 4 app.

Please help.
Screenshot_20180126-101812.png
Screenshot_20180126-101939.png
2018-1-25
Use props
Hedrasolutions
lvl.1
Flight distance : 564413 ft
Sri Lanka

hi,
   I have Mavic pro i got error like this..
when i press menu (three dots) my samsung s8 freeze and five seconds app is not responding...
am also tired to fix this...
finally i found the issue auto video cache clear is not working properly on the app,so ill remove (search *DJI*)file from mobile storage & SD card Manually..
reinstall fresh copy of DJI GO 4 app if is working fine

try out this...
thank you
2018-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules