DJI Spark - Auto-landing activated at high altitude -> crash
5319 27 2017-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LukasON
lvl.1
Flight distance : 166660 ft

Hello,I would like to share with you the issue that occured to me. Couple days ago I was flying and was trying to get above the light fog in valley and make a picture of sunrise. I had 98% battery and sport mode on RC activated, I went straight up and have reached the 300m, then I tried to desced back when the auto-landing has been activated. I had at that point about 76% battery. I wasn´t able to cancle the auto-landing, try to switch off sport mode, switch on sport mode, try to run RTH nothing worked. I had to desced in 1km/h speed which wasn´t fast enought to get to the ground with the battery. Around 26m above ground the Spark stop motors and there was freefall. Arm is destroyed, motor is destroyed, gimbal is hanging on 5wires, props are destroyed. I have already sent Spark to DJI to have analysis.

I would like to ask you .. have anyone of you notice same behavior ?

Thank you for answers
Lukas
2017-8-2
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

wow that stinks wonder what happen, can you post flight log
2017-8-2
Use props
LukasON
lvl.1

How to post the flight log.. in CSV ?
2017-8-2
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not sure where you are located, but in US there's an FAA regulation where we are not suppose to go above 400ft.  I have noticed that my decent is about 2ft per second, which gives me time to climb and take pictures, then return with not much battery left.  Today I was going to experiment with sport mode decent, to see how quickly the device decends, so that I have a sense as to whether or not I should ascend if I'm in the middle of a flight (50% battery).  Descent speed may be throttled (I'm not sure, I've wondered).  During flight the display shows an estimate of flight time remaining available, and the device seems to be smar enough to compute when there's just enough battery left to return home.  It could be that it does not factor in height and descent max speeds.  Lot's of maybe's in there.
2017-8-2
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
U.S. Virgin Islands

LukasON Posted at 2017-8-2 07:38
How to post the flight log.. in CSV ?

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ go to that link upload it then view it and copy link past here
2017-8-2
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

There's other user post on this forum that had exact the same problem as you. In your case, maybe the FOG trigger the auto-land on you drone, making spark thinks that are close to the ground and auto-land.
2017-8-2
Use props
LukasON
lvl.1
Czechia

Here is log.. but it doesn´t work with csv.. so I renamed to .txt and upload it.. http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/55T51Z1Q0HNU0OMHLEA9/

Regarding issue I think it was misstake of sensors that they thought the fog was ground and therfore they reduce the descending speed. I haven´t seen crash which was caused by this issue ?
2017-8-2
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
U.S. Virgin Islands

LukasON Posted at 2017-8-2 08:26
Here is log.. but it doesn´t work with csv.. so I renamed to .txt and upload it.. http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/55T51Z1Q0HNU0OMHLEA9/

Regarding issue I think it was misstake of sensors that they thought the fog was ground and therfore they reduce the descending speed. I haven´t seen crash which was caused by this issue ?

you have to upload the txt file from you phone
2017-8-2
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

Auto landing but if u press cancel

And u fly in light fog?

Fog=Water mmhhh

I hope 4 you...this no error pilot for dji.

In manual " dont fly with fog snow or rain"
2017-8-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Did you try pause button , this should have stopped auto landing.
2017-8-2
Use props
Monochrome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12710 ft
Poland

Someone elae had the same situation. Fog can trigger landing. You shouldn't fly through it.
2017-8-2
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

The other thread with similar issue is : http://forum.dji.com/thread-106508-1-2.html

It's from another user but I faced it too (the link to my logs ar over there). Hopefully I was able to cancel auto landing.

For my case, they were no fog at all, but still VPS sensor gave inconsistent measurements. Maybe because of bugs flying around.

I believe that those inconsistent measurements could be filtered out by addeing some logic and the auto landing should not happen in this situations.
Ideas of enhancements to prevent this from happening (not sure they are all possible) :

- having the no measurement value being different from 0
- similarity check of VPS and IMU variations. VPS and IMU height can be different if the terrain changes underneath, but their relative times changes when flying vertically (up or down) should be quite the same.
- extra safe mode where auto-landing stops at a given alt until stick down + simultaneous button pressed.
2017-8-2
Use props
LukasON
lvl.1

I have tried to press the cancel button.. did´t work, also switching to sport mode didn´t work. Then I tried to switch off the obstacle avoidance in menu .. still same results.. keeping in landing procedure.
Will see what DJI say to that and what was the cause.. seems that I am not only one.. but only one who crashed due 0 battery.

2017-8-2
Use props
fansfa9c1c91
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197 ft
United States

I had experienced that ridiculous but dreaded autolanding myself couple days ago. In my case the autolanding was triggered because my AC was suddenly determined by the GO app to be in the NFZ (red area I believe but I am sure I was in the yellow area where I was authorized to take off). Could not cancel the auto landing no mater what I did. Luckily I was in flying in a football field so it didnt crash.

I urge DJI to look into all these autolanding case and allow us to cancel/overide the auto landing asap.
2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry to hear about the crash, we'll take care of drone after it arrived, hope everything goes smoothly. should you have any question about it, please provide me with your case number, I'll check it for you.
2017-8-2
Use props
LukasON
lvl.1

Hello Diana.. my case number is CAS-842089-Q2M7K8. Right now they should analyse the data. Thx
2017-8-2
Use props
SuperCurro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2357828 ft
Spain

Todas I had a similar problem but with some fog and enough time to land (only 50 meter high). But yes, if the sensor get wet with the grass or fog you can not overwrite the landing procedure and it is a problem.
The autolamding should abort with pause button. And the other critical command is the sticks emergency stop motors, it is crazy that two combinations of sticks position stops your engines, instead of use a combination of two buttons as pause and function that is much more intuitive secure and safety and can not happened during a flight pilot.
2017-8-2
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

SuperCurro Posted at 2017-8-2 23:40
Todas I had a similar problem but with some fog and enough time to land (only 50 meter high). But yes, if the sensor get wet with the grass or fog you can not overwrite the landing procedure and it is a problem.
The autolamding should abort with pause button. And the other critical command is the sticks emergency stop motors, it is crazy that two combinations of sticks position stops your engines, instead of use a combination of two buttons as pause and function that is much more intuitive secure and safety and can not happened during a flight pilot.

This combination of sticks (Called CSC) are used since the phantom 1 ages.
2017-8-3
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
United States

Can you post your flight log here , we will like to look at it.
2017-8-3
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

SuperCurro Posted at 2017-8-2 23:40

this is a requirement in some countries (e.g. France) to have an emergency command to switch the engines off.

In case you face a manned aircraft that you have not seen before, see that the drone is going toward people, etc. that emergency shut down should be the reaction to go from the pilot (not thinking one second to the consequences for its hadware)
2017-8-3
Use props
SuperCurro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2357828 ft
Spain

STech - Hathder Posted at 2017-8-3 01:28
This combination of sticks (Called CSC) are used since the phantom 1 ages.

Ok, but doesn't make sense if you have other alternatives buttons  that can avoid that three four simultaneous flight commands that could happens during  a a normal flight destroy your drone.
2017-8-6
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

I wonder if trying to make the drone fly forward would over ride the unwanted auto land mode. It should  ADN if not it should be a welcome tweak to override auto land

All these fancy auto this and auto that are why I m hanging on to my antiquated phantom 2
2017-8-6
Use props
LukasON
lvl.1

I tried.. forward backward left right.. Spark was moving that direction but still on same slow descending speed..
2017-8-6
Use props
Alpachino
New
United States

Hi there! this happened to me today. I am member of a AMA club and was really foggy early. I had the Spark with me a wanted to see how much visibility we really had to warn the club members before they decide to fly planes. Visibility was better that expected but one member asked me some questions about the Spark and was giving him a demonstration. The Spark was about 50M high inside the cloud/fog  when suddenly decided to land by itself as other have mentioned in this blog. I was bot able to disengage the auto landing but fortunately was able to move it around while the Spark kept slowly landing, so was able to locate it above a safe place in case it decide to drop or to land. So here I am wondering why it happened and google brought me to this forum.
The Spark is safe and in one piece but DJI should take note on this issue. The pilot should be able to regain control.
So I am assuming the Spark is fine - and was a "fog" related unknown function. Thoughts?
Thanks!
2017-9-17
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Yes, as mentioned in posts further above, the user manual clearly states not to fly in fog or clouds. It seems that visual positioning  system interprets fog as being close to the ground and initiates landing.
2017-9-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Probably the VPS seeing a cloud as close ground, the stick is 100% moving down: auto land activated
Aren't Phantom and Mavic Pilots are trying to push DJI to get the option back, for interrupting the auto landing?
Which was Pause button before, right?
And that for some time already?

2017-9-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-17 13:16
Yes, as mentioned in posts further above, the user manual clearly states not to fly in fog or clouds. It seems that visual positioning  system interprets fog as being close to the ground and initiates landing.

i think it is reasonable that dji should offer alternatives..  like on my mavic pro i can disable landing protection and entire VPS...  which is smart.. so if it gets trigger can disable it if it is undesired..

spark should have more failsafe auto vps disable thing..  shouldn't be that hard to make happen..  let's say flying 150 feet up, what are the chances you are suddenly going 150 feet,  80 feet, 20 feet ,150 feet, feet , 6 inches?   i think if vps detects weird readings it should go into a "VPS protection" mode and block out those readings stick to GPS and baro..  or at least ask on screen in a prompt, like: "VPS readings are inconsistent, enable vps protection?" and give us a slider..   or even easier after x number of meters, VPS automatically goes into a VPS protection state where those readings are mostly ignored..maybe allow us to set that or just put in a default 50 meters.. seems reasonable..

im only suggesting auto stuff because how dji seems to be targeting the spark and treating the spark.. obviously i would want a toggle to just tur it off.. but dji is more then likely not going to do that and would rather an auto thing
2017-9-17
Use props
Boitano
New

Philippines

eerily the same thing happened to my spark. here's the video of the ill-fated flight.-----> facebook.com/jojo329/videos/10156460132922931/
2018-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules