Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Reading the Flight Log...What Does It All Mean?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I have been reading several threads that request folks to download their Flight Logs and then provide a link to the report so they can analyze whatever problem the operator had.  This is a very useful capability and interesting as well.  However, to a noob such as myself there are several aspects to these data sets that make no sense.  
Can/would someone please explain everything about this capability?  To simply ask, is there a tutorial, along with something that explains the various data columns and how to download and upload the data?  If not...
-How are the logs created, do you have to set it as a setting for it to record?
-Is it stored in the micro SD or internal memory within the Remote Controller?
-Besides the obvious ones, what do the columns mean and show, and what are the data points and what is considered a normal range?
-What do the color coding of the text mean?
-Is the time local or zulu?

TimeFlight ModeGPSAltitudeSpeedHome
Distance
BatteryBattery
Voltage
Cell 1Cell 2Cell 3Cell 4Cell
Deviation
I'd appreciate any info, definitions, and explanations on this, please.

Thanks in advance
2017-8-2
Use props
Xavier1984
First Officer
Flight distance : 1579088 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hi,
There are several ways to read / decode flight log : i mean several software / website.
There are logs in the aircraft and log in the DJI application.
The more preices logs are for me in the aircraft.

To begin you can use https://healthydrones.com to auto-update and analyze the flight log stored in the DJI go app.

From where do you copy/past the columns ? Title are quite explicit.

Xavier

2017-8-2
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Xavier1984 Posted at 2017-8-2 22:22
Hi,
There are several ways to read / decode flight log : i mean several software / website.
There are logs in the aircraft and log in the DJI application.

Xavier,
Thank you
FYI - healthydrones.com are now airdata.com
I have to stress, that while some column titles are easy to understand, some are not.  For example what does Cell 1, 2, 3, 4, & Cell Deviation mean, are they referring to battery cells or computing cells; and then what are considered the normal range of data for these cells.  Also, color coding seems obvious but yellow caution to one is red warning/danger to others, so what are the set standards for color coding?  
I will review the airdata site to learn all I can...
Regards
2017-8-3
Use props
Xavier1984
First Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-3 05:36
Xavier,
Thank you
FYI - healthydrones.com are now airdata.com

Hi,
Yes healthydrone, airdata both adresses go to the same website ;-)

Again from where you analyze the log? To help you we need to know from where you take the columns. Is it from DJI log viewer ?

Cell and Cell deviation are for battery (each battery is composed from cells). Each cell have a personal voltage (if you multiply each cell voltage by the number of the cell you obtain the total voltage of the battery). Cell deviation is the delta between the max and the min voltage of all cell. A big deviation is not good because it indicates that one or more cells of the battery is not in a good condition (the battery is not in good condition).
2017-8-4
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Xavier1984 Posted at 2017-8-4 00:11
Hi,
Yes healthydrone, airdata both adresses go to the same website ;-)

Xavier,
Thanks again for your time  
I'm looking at logs folks here that others have uploaded so folks can assist them in determining what their problem was.  The program I'm viewing is phantomhelp.com/LogViewer, I'm not exactly sure if that is a DJI software or a third party.  

Thanks for the battery info, I thought that those data sets were referring to the battery but I was not certain.  
  Any more light you can shed on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
2017-8-4
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-4 08:12
Xavier,Thanks again for your time  I'm looking at logs folks here that others have uploaded so folks can assist them in determining what their problem was.  The program I'm viewing is phantomhelp.com/LogViewer, I'm not exactly sure if that is a DJI software or a third party.    Thanks for the battery info, I thought that those data sets were referring to the battery but I was not certain.    Any more light you can shed on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, need to fix an error in grammar
Should read:
I'm looking at logs that folks here have uploaded so others can assist them in determining what their problem was.
2017-8-4
Use props
Xavier1984
First Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hi,
No problem ;-)
It's a gool "main view" log viewer. Try to use the DJI log viewer with one log of your drone to acquire some detailed infos.
It's easier to assist you if you have a precise log or study case. If need some detail about info-fields don't hesitate ;-)
2017-8-6
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Xavier1984 Posted at 2017-8-6 22:27
Hi,
No problem ;-)
It's a gool "main view" log viewer. Try to use the DJI log viewer with one log of your drone to acquire some detailed infos.

OK WILCO
I have not received my drone yet, but soon.  I will return when I have the specific info and log to review.
Thanks!
2017-8-6
Use props
Xavier1984
First Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Okay, i can advise you that well analyze log du track error or potential issue. I personaly analyze (airData Log) after each flight. Read carefully the manual to avoid any problems and enjoy :-)
2017-8-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Xavier1984 Posted at 2017-8-6 22:27
Hi,
No problem ;-)

Here is a rather longer explanation:

The logs are written automatically by the aircraft and also sent to the RC unit so thay can be written in your display device, phone or tablet. You do not need to enable them, it happens anyway. They are not recorded in the memory of the RC unit.

The logs can be read, but they are encrypted, and only a couple of sites appear to have the encryption key, Healthydrone and Phantomhelp. Of the two sites, Phantomhelp is by far the most detailed and best to use when analysing an event.

The flight records in the aircraft are stored on a micro SD card that is permanently fixed inside the aircraft on the main board. DJI prefer a copy of this record when deciding warranty claims, because it carries more detail than the one on your phone. DJI use this record to work out if your warranty claim matches the flight record. Without this record being available, you are less likely to make a successful warranty claim. You are able to read this record by connecting the aircraft to a PC using a USB cable.

There is nothing much to explain the various parameters, it is just a matter of experience. Several people on this forum are quite expert in decoding flight data and providing an analysis of the incident, this comes form a long time reading the data. All the experts require the poster to upload the flight data to Phantomhelp to get the best data decode, Healthydrones is not considered as good.

The time is local time, it is taken from the GPS data and adjusted for the region in which the aircraft is flying.
2017-8-6
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-6 22:42
Here is a rather longer explanation:

The logs are written automatically by the aircraft and also sent to the RC unit so thay can be written in your display device, phone or tablet. You do not need to enable them, it happens anyway. They are not recorded in the memory of the RC unit.

Excellent thanks!

Is there a lexicon or legend that explains the color-coding etc.?

In the meantime, I’m good with waiting until I have some detailed logs of my own to learn what these things are really telling you.  I can pretty much figure out about 75% of it but the battery stuff is Greek to me.  I guess you have to be an electrical engineer to understand it.
2017-8-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-6 22:47
Excellent thanks!  Is there a lexicon or legend that explains the color-coding etc.?     In the meantime, I’m good with waiting until I have some detailed logs of my own to learn what these things are really telling you.  I can pretty much figure out about 75% of it but the battery stuff is Greek to me.  I guess you have to be an electrical engineer to understand it.

If you are talking about the healthydrones analysis, the colours are explained on the site. The battery detail is quite technical, but it has to be as it is crucial to the health of the aircraft.
2017-8-6
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-8-6 22:52
If you are talking about the healthydrones analysis, the colours are explained on the site. The battery detail is quite technical, but it has to be as it is crucial to the health of the aircraft.

OK thanks
I'll check out the site
2017-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules