Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sparks falling from the air
3012 28 2017-8-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fred Guernsey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142946 ft
Guernsey

I am a Mavic owner and just bought a Spark, and have done 32 tourble free flights with it (some issues though with weak transmission signal).

My concern is the issues on media about this, which have not been suitably addressed by DJI.

1) DJI have not yet confirmed the issues if these are pilot errors or hardware/firmeware issues

2) An e-mail to DJI, got this reply "As per checking with our Field application expert, as of the moment, they are now working on the update that will fix this issue. Once fix from update firmware is available, it will be rolled to each DJI unit".My reply to this e-mail was a suitable timeframe for this update and is it safe to fly a Spark now ? No reply as yet

3) I followed this up with DJI by phone today and the reply was this was possibly due to not having a) 100% battery b) Not sufficient GPS and/or c) interference

I know there are a few topics on this - but I wish DJI would provide an answer to help all Spark users and to give them comfort of what is happening.

2017-8-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you separate the user error from the genuine malfunction errors you would probably find the number very small, all tech companies have problems with new tech whether its phones laptops etc, yet from these companies we usually get app bug fix and little or no explanation as to why problems occur.

You own a Mavic , Mavic has had just as many problems or even more problems than spark, can you show me where dji came forward and announced what the problem was or how many problems they were having.

I don't expect software companies to come forward and announce they are having serious or minor problems with their products, it has never happened with dji and I don't envisage it happening now.

What we need from dji is to honour warranty agreements when crashes are due to malfunction.
2017-8-3
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-3 03:51
If you separate the user error from the genuine malfunction errors you would probably find the number very small, all tech companies have problems with new tech whether its phones laptops etc, yet from these companies we usually get app bug fix and little or no explanation as to why problems occur.

You own a Mavic , Mavic has had just as many problems or even more problems than spark, can you show me where dji came forward and announced what the problem was or how many problems they were having.

Not everybody has warranty, In my case, i live in Brazil and DJI drones are not officially sold here, so 99% of DJI drones are illegally imported, basically if you want a dji drone here you dont have any warranty.

Its a problem when a new Drone ( SPARK!) are having hundreds of serious problems, whe dont have any other alternative than self fix or other uncommon solutions that are not official, DJI warranty its not a alternative if you live here. =/

Yes, i know that i dont have warranty and decided to buy, but i dont expect such serious problems from spark.

I already had phantom 1, phantom fc40 , phantom 2, phantom 2v+, phantom 3std, phantom 3 adv and none of then have problems falling of the sky or compass-imu being crazy.
2017-8-3
Use props
Sponk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7815 ft
Germany

Yesterday my Spark dropped dead while it was shooting a 3x3 panorama. After the third picture it just shut off and dropped from 15m height 3m next to me, luckily on soft grass and not on me.
Even after the fall, the battery was in place, so it seems I can rule out loose contacts.
I could switch it on again and it was still working.
Also the battery was not drained, it has only been flying for 3 minutes.
I was using OnePlus 3T + Spark RC, Support Chat told me, I should use a "recommended device". -_-
2017-8-3
Use props
fans4d74e7dd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 226188 ft
France

what's the "recommended device"?
2017-8-3
Use props
Sponk
lvl.1
Germany

He just quoted from the Specs:

APP / LIVE VIEW

iOS Version v4.1.5.
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus.

Android Version v4.1.4.
Android version 4.4.0 or later. Compatible with Samsung S8 ,Samsung S7 edge, Samsung S7, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Samsung tabs 705c, Ascend Mate 9, Ascend Mate 7, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei Honor 8, Huawei P8 Max, Vivo X7, Xiaomi 5, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, LG V20.
2017-8-3
Use props
giucip74
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11017 ft
Italy

Sponk Posted at 2017-8-3 04:17
Yesterday my Spark dropped dead while it was shooting a 3x3 panorama. After the third picture it just shut off and dropped from 15m height 3m next to me, luckily on soft grass and not on me.
Even after the fall, the battery was in place, so it seems I can rule out loose contacts.

It's exactly what happened to me, the difference is that my drone has fallen into the sea
2017-8-3
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

At what point should a company consider these problems dangerous? should they start thinking about recalling the spark drones due to malfunction(falling out of the sky) gopro had to suck it up and do a recall.
2017-8-3
Use props
Fred Guernsey
lvl.2
Guernsey

Have you had the flight analysed ?If so let us know the results
2017-8-3
Use props
Fred Guernsey
lvl.2
Guernsey

giucip74 Posted at 2017-8-3 05:39
It's exactly what happened to me, the difference is that my drone has fallen into the sea

Have you had the flight analysed and if so, let us know the results
2017-8-3
Use props
Sponk
lvl.1
Germany

I tried to upload with DJI Assistant 2, but the form won't let me submit. Mobile phone field is always invalid, no matter what I enter.
2017-8-3
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

STech - Hathder Posted at 2017-8-3 04:00
Not everybody has warranty, In my case, i live in Brazil and DJI drones are not officially sold here, so 99% of DJI drones are illegally imported, basically if you want a dji drone here you dont have any warranty.

Its a problem when a new Drone ( SPARK!) are having hundreds of serious problems, whe dont have any other alternative than self fix or other uncommon solutions that are not official, DJI warranty its not a alternative if you live here. =/

Also in the same situation. Brazil.

So far, about 50 flights with no one singe problem.

Fly less combo (iPhone 7 plus as the controller).

2017-8-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for the crash, could you please refer to the video below to export the data for analysis?  Have you got a case number from the Support? If yes, please provide me with your case number.
2017-8-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

giucip74 Posted at 2017-8-3 05:39

Mindy replied your own thread, please check it.
2017-8-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

DJI is aware of a small number of reports involving Spark drones that have lost power mid-flight. Flight safety and product reliability are top priorities. Our engineers are thoroughly reviewing each customer case and working to address this matter urgently.
DJI products are tested for thousands of hours, and the overwhelming number of customers enjoy using our products with minimal disruption.
We are looking to implement additional safeguards with a firmware update which was issued on 26th July. When prompted on the DJI GO 4 App, we recommend all customers to connect to the internet and update their aircraft’s firmware to ensure a safe flight when flying their Spark.
2017-8-3
Use props
fans95176b56
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26312 ft
United States

My Spark also appeared to lose power and fell from the sky - also into the ocean. Unrecoverable, but I did try!

It was in Alaska, 55 degrees F outside, little to no wind.  On the water, line of sight, about 100 ft away, 20' altitude.  18 GPS signal (big sky in Alaska!).  Not using Sport mode.  Was descending and moving forward at the same time (left stick down, right stick up).   Over 10 minutes battery time left (per app and flight records).  Using OTG cable to iPad.  Heading back to the boat for a landing. Saw it happen, and couldn't quite believe it.

There are some doubters on the forum that this is an issue, and because it has not happened to them they assume user error (which is likely true for many crashes).  Having witnessed the problem first hand, I can agree with others posters that the problem is real, even if a small %.  Until DJI can determine the source of the problem, explain what happened and provide a fix or instructions on how to avoid - IT CAN ALSO HAPPEN TO YOU.
I do hope this issue is not widespread, and also that DJI can determine legitimate cases of failure and cover under warranty.  I can understand DJI being careful to verify customer claims.  I have a case open with them, and provided final Flight Records and final cached video.

I found the Spark easy to fly and really enjoyed using it.  My biggest disappointment was not having it for the remainder of the trip.  And of course, just not having it...

2017-8-3
Use props
Indi91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103973 ft

fans95176b56 Posted at 2017-8-3 22:10
My Spark also appeared to lose power and fell from the sky - also into the ocean. Unrecoverable, but I did try!

It was in Alaska, 55 degrees F outside, little to no wind.  On the water, line of sight, about 100 ft away, 20' altitude.  18 GPS signal (big sky in Alaska!).  Not using Sport mode.  Was descending and moving forward at the same time (left stick down, right stick up).   Over 10 minutes battery time left (per app and flight records).  Using OTG cable to iPad.  Heading back to the boat for a landing. Saw it happen, and couldn't quite believe it.

Man, i really hope they fix this issue. Its scares me as well. Ill still fly it but not over water and nearby only (to train myself on controls as i am new). Is this with new firmware?
2017-8-3
Use props
Fred Guernsey
lvl.2
Guernsey

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-3 20:21
DJI is aware of a small number of reports involving Spark drones that have lost power mid-flight. Flight safety and product reliability are top priorities. Our engineers are thoroughly reviewing each customer case and working to address this matter urgently.
DJI products are tested for thousands of hours, and the overwhelming number of customers enjoy using our products with minimal disruption.
We are looking to implement additional safeguards with a firmware update which was issued on 26th July. When prompted on the DJI GO 4 App, we recommend all customers to connect to the internet and update their aircraft’s firmware to ensure a safe flight when flying their Spark.

SO, can you confirm that this new update will correct any non pilot related issued. We have yet to see any details of what caused these errors in the first place to give us some reassurance of what is going wrong.
2017-8-4
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

"SO, can you confirm that this new update will correct any non pilot related issued. We have yet to see any details of what caused these errors in the first place to give us some reassurance of what is going wrong."

The update was already released on July. (as she said)
2017-8-4
Use props
Fred Guernsey
lvl.2
Guernsey

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2017-8-4 03:26
"SO, can you confirm that this new update will correct any non pilot related issued. We have yet to see any details of what caused these errors in the first place to give us some reassurance of what is going wrong."

The update was already released on July. (as she said)

I know - but would like some positive confirmation.
2017-8-4
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
United States

Fred Guernsey Posted at 2017-8-4 03:38
I know - but would like some positive confirmation.

you have confirmation i all spark cases after 27 July i guess.
2017-8-4
Use props
Fred Guernsey
lvl.2
Guernsey

Szwedu Posted at 2017-8-4 04:27
you have confirmation i all spark cases after 27 July i guess.

Lets get some confirmation from DJI themselves.
2017-8-4
Use props
Fred Guernsey
lvl.2
Guernsey

This is the latest mail from DJI
With regards to your query, I would like to speak from my personal point of view that it would probably be wise to wait for the updated version than be sorry. The updated version will be coming out very soon however, even us here at the center don't know the estimated date or when.
2017-8-5
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 270840 ft
Czechia

Hey,

this is mostly due to the battery firmware not being updated. A lot of users have reported this, but it was resolved once they updated battery firmware.

Basically just connect the Spark with 1 battery to DJI Assistant on your PC/Mac and if you go to Firmware tab, you will see a popup that battery is not compatible or something like this. Then it lets you update the firmware on the battery. Do this with every battery and you should have no issues.

This needs to be done with every firmware update on Spark But better update each battery than crash the drone from the air
2017-8-8
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 270840 ft
Czechia

Bobesh Posted at 2017-8-8 03:51
Hey,

this is mostly due to the battery firmware not being updated. A lot of users have reported this, but it was resolved once they updated battery firmware.

If you don't see the popup, the battery firmware is up to date obviously. Just check all your batteries. It was mostly happening to users who purchased additional battery when ordering Spark.
2017-8-8
Use props
Sponk
lvl.1
Germany

I updated both batteries, but not at the same time. (didn't know then that batteries have to be updated)
If the update of the second battery was after or before the drop, I can't remember now.
2017-8-8
Use props
mmatos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 179770 ft
United States

fans95176b56 Posted at 2017-8-3 22:10

This is the first report I've read where ambient temperature was pretty low. Can you confirm whether this was immediately after a prior flight?
2017-8-8
Use props
GSA_Spark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26312 ft
United States

mmatos Posted at 2017-8-8 04:22
This is the first report I've read where ambient temperature was pretty low. Can you confirm whether this was immediately after a prior flight?

Previous flights were more than a few hours earlier, but batteries were charging during that time. The battery was 100%, but might not have fully cooled off from charge.  I can't recall specifics.
2017-8-11
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Please continue this thread discussion here to avoid duplicate conversations. Thanks.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-103039-1-1.html
2017-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules