1339 23 2017-8-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Hi guys,
I am trying to find a pattern in the falling cases. Seems like some of you in the special modes: "Sport modes, Active tracking, or tripod" right before the fall.
I just wonder could it because of those modes, because to be honest, my Spark is still safe until now because I never abused those modes. I did try Tripod and Sport few times, but just in a few minutes, then I switched back to normal mode right after that.

Would appreciate your comment.
2017-8-3
Use props
mmatos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 179770 ft
United States

I was in active track with a house as the subject. It was performing a slow rotation when it lost the subject and fell out of the sky a second later.
2017-8-3
Use props
PaTaRnAk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 83383 ft
United States

Sport mode for me... Full forward throttle. My guess is that the connection dropped and the drone did an emmergency stop, tilted too much and motors shut off.. Just a theorry, can be any other reason, but clearly a malfunction that must be covered by warranty.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8NA24GIN3Y4R352EOVR6/
2017-8-3
Use props
fans340b9dbb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15640 ft
South Korea

i was active tracking
2017-8-3
Use props
Sponk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7815 ft
Germany

3x3 Panorama, according to flight record it took 3 pictures, turned to the next position and there it ends.
2017-8-3
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

i rarely ever use the "special" modes.

If your asking...yes, "special" was a pun
2017-8-3
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

I have never had a fall, but I have had some weirdness, which I think is connected with changing mode while in flight....

Latest firmware / app. RC connected to Android phone via OTG. Manually set to 2.4Ghz before take off.

I was flying the camera in video mode, recording, a short distance from me - within 30 meters. I flew it close and raised it to 20 meters altitude. I stopped recording and switched to photo mode, checked photo was set to 180 degree panorama and pressed the button to take the photo. Nothing happened. I tried to descend, but it wouldn't respond. After a couple of seconds it gave an error saying it couldn't connect to the camera, then I heard it taking photos anyway. I was a bit freaked out so carried on trying to descend. The screen went black - no video feed, but all telemetry was correctly displayed and the spark eventually responded. I brought it down to land and got it on the ground safely - without video feed. As I walked over to it I flipped back to video (from photo) mode to see if this would bring the video feed back - it did, but almost immediately the screen went grey and the Spark disconnected. It re-connected after a few seconds, but disconnected again. This is with the Spark about 5 feet away from me on the ground!

I've had a feeling for a little while that for some reason the Spark doesn't like changing mode while in flight and seems to get confused.
2017-8-3
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

StarFishUK Posted at 2017-8-3 07:25
I have never had a fall, but I have had some weirdness, which I think is connected with changing mode while in flight....

Latest firmware / app. RC connected to Android phone via OTG. Manually set to 2.4Ghz before take off.

i don't know if it makes a difference or not but i always let the drone hover for a few seconds before i switch modes.
2017-8-3
Use props
dognamedjim
New
Flight distance : 50518 ft
United States

Sport mode for me too
2017-8-3
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

did you switch back to P mode while it was still at full throttle in sport mode by any chance?
2017-8-3
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

i would like to know if anyone at all was in P mode while their drone fell out of the sky, unless it was because the battery fell out!
2017-8-3
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-3 07:30
i don't know if it makes a difference or not but i always let the drone hover for a few seconds before i switch modes.

This sounds like good advice. There appears to be several theories surrounding this issue...

1) Over heating
2) Power / battery problem.
3) Spark becoming confused and shutting down.

I think I'm probably leaning towards 3.
2017-8-3
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

StarFishUK Posted at 2017-8-3 07:33
This sounds like good advice. There appears to be several theories surrounding this issue...

1) Over heating

it is possible but i have no idea! i hope their working on it though.
2017-8-3
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

I haven't had any issue and used sports mode quite a bit but I haven't never used any of special modes
2017-8-3
Use props
fansa3eddfd7
New

Malaysia

In my case, for several times that my spark dropped like a brick from the sky it is always in Normal mode
2017-8-3
Use props
BriRi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

P mode with good GPS lock and hovering at time of shut off
2017-8-3
Use props
hfog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34583 ft
United States

tripod - good GPS lock - minimal inputs on the stick
2017-8-3
Use props
Eric04401
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4531 ft
United States

Only happened once and it was a few seconds after switching on sport mode and moving full speed ahead.  I had been using active tracking and tried a couple of the other modes during that flight.  I have noticed that the Spark seems to get confused after trying to switch back to regular flying after using the special modes so I'm going to stay away from those until the bugs get worked out.  
2017-8-3
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Eric04401 Posted at 2017-8-3 11:32
Only happened once and it was a few seconds after switching on sport mode and moving full speed ahead.  I had been using active tracking and tried a couple of the other modes during that flight.  I have noticed that the Spark seems to get confused after trying to switch back to regular flying after using the special modes so I'm going to stay away from those until the bugs get worked out.

Hi, I don't know if it is true or not, but I did experience the same. I tried doing a test, jumping back and forth between active track, Sport mode and Tripod mod inhouse, with remote and OTG. Suddently I lost signal when Spark only 0.5m away from me. Strange.
Good thing that when lost connection is still hover, I reset the app, replug OTG and got connection again.
But still, I guess you are right, I will also stay away from special modes for a while.
It's a pity though because those are the selling points of Spark. but until more information provide, it is better to play safe.
2017-8-3
Use props
GSA_Spark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26312 ft
United States

Mine dropped dead in normal mode.  55 degrees temp. 10min left on battery.  Over water, could not recover.
2017-8-11
Use props
HoracioChavez
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6407 ft
Mexico

I didn´t have any mode when my spark fell, just flying with rc and smarphone sync.
2017-8-11
Use props
fansf2304bca
lvl.3
Flight distance : 952664 ft
Chile

Can you guys also say if when drone fell down were you using otg cable? No one has pointed out the issue to this. Can it be related?
2017-8-11
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was doing a gesture for selfie, next thing i know the spark is leying upside down on my porch like a turtle...
2017-8-11
Use props
kabekid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 128002 ft
United States

normal mode. just hovering.
2017-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules