Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Data Update required, but only when using Android device ?
893 10 2017-8-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've just noticed this for the first time today.

All my firmware and App's are up to date. When I connect and run my Nexus 7 (2103) and run DJI Go 4 just after initialisation and version check popups, I get a window saying that:-

Data Update

Connect aircraft to update your data

Update                                  Ignore

This does not happen with my iPad Pro 9.7, nor my iPhone 6s plus.

Has anybody else seen this, or have any idea why it seems specific to Android device ?

I have not yet tried it, I have checked for updates in App', and also DJI Assistant 2, and nothing shows for iOS nor Android.
2017-8-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

How about choosing the Update? Does the issue appear if the update has been finished and restarted?
2017-8-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Aardvark,

This is strange.  I have only Android and have not seen anything like this before.  It does say data.  So, it is not referencing firmware or app type of process.  Are your flight records (data) synced with the servers?  That could be a quick glance.  Also, you indicate that it does not affect iOS devices.  Maybe it is a process that iOS handles differently than Android.  What about maps?  Does iOS use Here maps?  Maybe map data needs to be updated for Android devices.

It could also be referencing data for the GEO system.  Are you in an area with GEO input changing often?  A stadium or large attendance venue?  I went and looked at the GEO unlocking video recently and there was some good information there.  That system would need "Data Updates".  Is there anything else we do that has regularly changing "data" that might need an update?

Well, you drained my brain!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-4
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-4 02:23
Aloha Aardvark,

This is strange.  I have only Android and have not seen anything like this before.  It does say data.  So, it is not referencing firmware or app type of process.  Are your flight records (data) synced with the servers?  That could be a quick glance.  Also, you indicate that it does not affect iOS devices.  Maybe it is a process that iOS handles differently than Android.  What about maps?  Does iOS use Here maps?  Maybe map data needs to be updated for Android devices.

I think it's perhaps just random, it requests connection to aircraft.

Another occurrence Here as reported by Mutly.
2017-8-4
Use props
T-R
Second Officer
Flight distance : 287884 ft
France

Hi Ardvark. I have the same. Do not push accept,  unless you will have more restrictions of no fly zones.  This update is ONLY for new no-fly-zones. THINK- bevore you accept. I just ignore. And before I connect my Tablet to the RC, i switch of WiFi and cellular device. So no communication from any app can go to the internet and back.  
My trust in DJI is on ZERO.  They do not respect that the Toy is my property now and try to sneak in New data, or do they try to get them out?
2017-8-5
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

T-R Posted at 2017-8-5 01:01
Hi Ardvark. I have the same. Do not push accept,  unless you will have more restrictions of no fly zones.  This update is ONLY for new no-fly-zones. THINK- bevore you accept. I just ignore. And before I connect my Tablet to the RC, i switch of WiFi and cellular device. So no communication from any app can go to the internet and back.  
My trust in DJI is on ZERO.  They do not respect that the Toy is my property now and try to sneak in New data, or do they try to get them out?

Thank you for answering the question, nobody else seemed to be aware that they are pushing out more restrictive NFZs on us. No Fly Zone usually means just that by the CAA rules.

I might have agreed with you in some respects, but it only seems to happen on certain Android devices. And one other person stated they'd already done the 'update' but was being pestered by the notification each time.
So looks like a bug in the system.

Bear in mind that any adjustments they do make are more likely to be positive in terms of more accurate boundaries for the NFZs and controlled airspace.

Being in the UK have you spotted any unnecessary restrictions where it doesn't allow you to fly ?

I've not seen any as yet.

2017-8-5
Use props
T-R
Second Officer
China

Hello Ardvark
I'm not in UK. I life in China. Dear DJI changed by the last "update" the NFZ  of airports from the normal circular, with two zones (warning and no start) to HUGE NFZ  only who basicly cover my whole city and make unpossible to start.
I try to get that out of my drone. I respect the save issue to not fly close by airports., but I live 12km far away. And can t start even.and this is a small frequent airport. Even the alignment of this zone , now shaped as a huge red rhombus, is wrong alighnt. Landingstrip is 90degree to the length of the rhombus.  Silly. I don't need more of those. So i will denie this update offers. Ore my toy is useless and dji can have it back.
2017-8-5
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

T-R Posted at 2017-8-5 17:51
Hello Ardvark
I'm not in UK. I life in China. Dear DJI changed by the last "update" the NFZ  of airports from the normal circular, with two zones (warning and no start) to HUGE NFZ  only who basicly cover my whole city and make unpossible to start.
I try to get that out of my drone. I respect the save issue to not fly close by airports., but I live 12km far away. And can t start even.and this is a small frequent airport. Even the alignment of this zone , now shaped as a huge red rhombus, is wrong alighnt. Landingstrip is 90degree to the length of the rhombus.  Silly. I don't need more of those. So i will denie this update offers. Ore my toy is useless and dji can have it back.

If DJI has increased the no fly zone to 12km is this not a reflection of what is required by the Chinese air authority ?

If it is then DJI may be doing you a favour given the Chinese authorities no nonsense approach to transgressors.
2017-8-6
Use props
T-R
Second Officer
China

Well. The authority do not care for drones, just u have register them. But a rhombus, 90° to a landingstrip, just make no sense.  It's only ONE landingstrip, not a cross direction. The danger of those we talk about is the start and landing zone. Not left and right of it.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

T-R Posted at 2017-8-6 07:40
Well. The authority do not care for drones, just u have register them. But a rhombus, 90° to a landingstrip, just make no sense.  It's only ONE landingstrip, not a cross direction. The danger of those we talk about is the start and landing zone. Not left and right of it.

But they do care:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39732485

And that is probably the very reason for the stricter NFZs where you are.

Edit:- this is also very interesting.

http://www.sixthtone.com/news/10 ... hinas-airports-safe
2017-8-6
Use props
T-R
Second Officer
China

I'm not in Chengdu. That's a quite big airport..our one is a village one. And off course they are unhappy when idiots do that. But it seems like they do anyway. Chines to not buy expensive. So they can't effort dji. Just a view people can do.
But There are tons of products cheaper. Off course the quality is different. But cheap is good in China. And they can fly all over.. No software inside who can stop them. Bedàuse there is no law for.
Did W*lk*a has it?
2017-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules