Spark range problems
23516 28 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansbb5f6f9e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 74820 ft
Latvia

Hi. I bought DJI Spark fly more combo a few weeks ago and have been flying a lot recently. It is awesome and everything, but there's a problem: its range sucks. There are many people bragging about 2km of distance but max that I have got is only about 150 meters, then it just disconnects. Also my live feed is poor - I always get week image transmission signal after 50 to 100 meters. I have controller.
Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong or is there another bug or problem that I don't know about?
2017-8-4
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

You are located in the EU? So your Spark is flying in CE mode. You can't get more than 500m under perfect conditions.
What is yout height when you flying? Are the antennas correct aligned? Where do you fly? Any other interference signals there?
2017-8-4
Use props
fansbb5f6f9e
lvl.1
Latvia

I am in EU but there are no interference signals around me. My flight height is only about 30 meters. The strangest thing is that I am flying in perfect conditions over a plain field and everything is set up perfectly.
2017-8-4
Use props
Smokey22
lvl.4
Flight distance : 567434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

New Firmware .500 on Spark and .300 on RC? USB-OTG cable? Bluetooth turned off on devices around you? WiFi 2,4 GHz or 5.8 GHz? Camera settings auto or manual?
2017-8-4
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

fansbb5f6f9e Posted at 2017-8-4 04:21
I am in EU but there are no interference signals around me. My flight height is only about 30 meters. The strangest thing is that I am flying in perfect conditions over a plain field and everything is set up perfectly.

Try to fly higher, 30m isn't enough. Go to 80-90m. (dji test it with 120m)
Your antennas pointing with the LONG side towards the spark? (not the tip of the antenna!)
2017-8-4
Use props
fansbb5f6f9e
lvl.1
Latvia

I am pointing with the tip, maybe that is the problem.
2017-8-4
Use props
fansbb5f6f9e
lvl.1
Latvia

Latest firmware on both. No OTG but Bluetooth is turned off. As it comes to WiFi, I am not able to change to 2.4GHz, I can press the button in app to change but it does nothing.
2017-8-4
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

fansbb5f6f9e Posted at 2017-8-4 04:29

Yes, this is your Problem. Your antenna radiate like this, like a Donut.
http://open-txu.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/AntennaPick5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CgnsXSC.png
2017-8-4
Use props
fansbb5f6f9e
lvl.1
Latvia

Thanks guys. Just tried it. The problem was that my antennas was not in the right direction. This is another thing that proves I am a newbie to this drone thing. Thank you all very much.
2017-8-4
Use props
StarFishUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54970 ft
United Kingdom

fansbb5f6f9e Posted at 2017-8-4 04:29

Yes - pointing with the tip is a problem. Also you will be able to switch to 2.4Ghz - which makes a huge difference. Check some of the threads on this forum for a step by step guide to changing the frequency. It's fiddly and a bit frustrating, but it only takes a minute or so and seems to more than double the range.
2017-8-4
Use props
Smokey22
lvl.4
Flight distance : 567434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

5.8 GHz allows max 300 meter range in CE / Europe, you need to tap 2.4 GHz, select the channel 1 - 12 below the WiFi graph of congestion while Spark is connected and on the ground, then channel will be changed and you need to confirm the reconnection. Live feed should be better and it will even be smoother with OTG.
2017-8-4
Use props
fansbb5f6f9e
lvl.1
Latvia

Ok. I'll try it later. Thank you.
2017-8-4
Use props
Mete
New
Turkey

Hello, I have the same problem.. I am connecting the remote controller with OTG cable for better connection. However when I reach the 100 meter distance , I disconnect to my spark. I talked about with customer service and they told me that log out and log in to DJI go 4 app or delete and upload again the app. In addition to this they send me a link to dowlnload assitant for my spark. I upload the the latest version for my spark also for remote controller but I haven't check yet.If you find a solution about it, I would be glad to hear that
2017-8-4
Use props
krisjanis2000
lvl.1
Latvia

Mete Posted at 2017-8-4 04:48
Hello, I have the same problem.. I am connecting the remote controller with OTG cable for better connection. However when I reach the 100 meter distance , I disconnect to my spark. I talked about with customer service and they told me that log out and log in to DJI go 4 app or delete and upload again the app. In addition to this they send me a link to dowlnload assitant for my spark. I upload the the latest version for my spark also for remote controller but I haven't check yet.If you find a solution about it, I would be glad to hear that

Try pointing the flat side of controller antennas towards your spark, not the tip. It worked perfectly for me ;)
2017-8-4
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

Antenna orientation is critical and it's seems many owners don't know that. Sure it is  manual but it is something that DJI should make clearer maybe with a removable sticker on the controller antennas.

Anything blocking the line of sight will also drastically affect range not just buildings but even bodies... combine both and your range will plummet
2017-8-4
Use props
lucsvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

good to know .. thanks for the information
2017-8-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the feedback, flight distance sometimes relates to the flight environment, firmware, the antennas position and signal interference, we would suggest that you fly the drone in a wide and broad place, the antennas should be placed as below: P4P_Controller_EN.gif Please keep away from the concrete if it possible for it might affect the flight distance and transmission quality. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, we’d love to help.
2017-8-5
Use props
fanseddf249c
New
Flight distance : 40883 ft
Vietnam

Is Australia and Vietnam in CE mode because i can not fly more than 150m either
2017-8-8
Use props
Muhammad Zaman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28176 ft
Pakistan

I am having similar problem
2017-10-1
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-8-4 04:34
Yes, this is your Problem. Your antenna radiate like this, like a Donut.
http://open-txu.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/AntennaPick5.jpg

Never knew thanks for the tip
2017-10-1
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

fanseddf249c Posted at 2017-8-8 10:06
Is Australia and Vietnam in CE mode because i can not fly more than 150m either

No I have flown out in Australia as far as 1.3km and that was on 5.4ghz
2017-10-1
Use props
WilfredFireStee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182215 ft
Argentina

haha welcome to the WIT club!!! Been in it for weeks it's great!!!! In UK i suffer the exact same problem, plus I use android. They will advise, turn off all bluetooth settings and any devices, try in different locations, try using another model of mobile phone or tablet, ideally made by Apple and the more modern the better. I think thats the long and short of it. Annoying. HOPEFULLY the next firmware may improve.......

EDIT - So it was just the antenna issue. Sorry ignore me
2017-10-2
Use props
jcgoobee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 476119 ft
United States

I'm a newbie and just starting playing with my Spark a few days back. I haven't tested the range in distance yet as I want to have visual when it flies, but one thing that I do notice though, is the maximum altitude for my Spark is only 56 meters or 187 feet from the home base. I wonder if this is due to the flight location or the altitude is restricted for new pilot? Any ideas?
2017-10-2
Use props
Anand Karandika
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29012 ft
Canada

Anyone here from US or Canada?  I have similar issues. I don't have a remote controller and I must say I an absolute beginner. Can anyone help me with what are the ranges one can expect with using either ipad or android phone? So far I have not been able to take above 50 meters and 100 meters in distance. Thoughts?
2017-12-22
Use props
fans198334ef
New

Philippines

im from the philippines and i only get 500meters, i loose video feed at around 480-500m and from there i activate rth.
2018-1-28
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

Lol you are just bad at controlling it
2018-1-28
Use props
Splanta
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18783 ft
United Kingdom

Welcome to the Dji Spark mate, Since they took otg out the spark signals always been rubbish, I would recommend reinstalling the app and making sure all software is up to date as there is a new update which helps the WIFI Signal as mines now improved since Christmas.
Regards
2018-1-28
Use props
trel0s
New
Greece

I have the same problem.I  get 150- to 200m horizontal distance and 70-100m height with the remote control  before I loose  signal .
I am in Europe (Greece).
I have the antennas of RC  as shown in post #17.
Latest firmware according to go 4 app,
No Bluetooth around me.
I have the the WiFi at auto and it stays at 5.8 GHz when I try to choose channel manually the connection between phone and RC is lost and the phone (xiaomi remi note 4x) could not find the RC wi-fi so I had to reset RC and Spark.
Does anyone has  any suggestions?
2018-2-26
Use props
djiuser_0JJfy0yzFhLS
New
Flight distance : 1391 ft

United States

Anand Karandika Posted at 2017-12-22 17:32
Anyone here from US or Canada?  I have similar issues. I don't have a remote controller and I must say I an absolute beginner. Can anyone help me with what are the ranges one can expect with using either ipad or android phone? So far I have not been able to take above 50 meters and 100 meters in distance. Thoughts?

That is about all you will get using just your phone. Get a controller, it makes a difference. It will improve your distance by multitudes.
2020-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules