How far will it fly?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
Flight distance : 429114 ft
United States

Hello...still trying to get used to flying P4A.  Just curious, how far will this thing fly away from me in an urban setting, a couple of miles outside of town.   Still quite a few houses, normal power poles, trees, etc.  From what I've read, it will about 4.3 miles, but there is no way I can see it that far away, and don't really want to lose it.  Is 2 miles out of the question?  Also, do normal power poles have an effect on flying?   Thanks.  Still trying to learn.
2017-8-4
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is very important to always fly VLOS specially in a residential area.  DJI always recommend flying in wide open space.
2017-8-4
Use props
Hemlock_Cloud
lvl.4
Flight distance : 107418 ft
Canada

Make sure you read the recreational drone flying rules before flying as well don't want to get fined
2017-8-4
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
United States

Hemlock_Cloud Posted at 2017-8-4 07:36
Make sure you read the recreational drone flying rules before flying as well  don't want to get fined

I have read and understand the rules for flying.   Just a hypothetical question...if I could see it. how far away from the remote will it fly and safely return?
2017-8-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

VetteGuyZ06 Posted at 2017-8-4 12:34
I have read and understand the rules for flying.   Just a hypothetical question...if I could see it. how far away from the remote will it fly and safely return?

The specifications published by DJI have been found to be achievable but to get maximum range, you must be in an interference free area and have good antenna orientation.
Max Transmission Distance   (Unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 4.3 mi (7 km) - CE: 2.2 mi (3.5 km)
It's impossible to say what you may achieve in your area.
To safely return from 4.3 miles may be further than the battery is capable of flying, but 6 mile round trips are common.
2017-8-4
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-4 13:56
The specifications published by DJI have been found to be achievable but to get maximum range, you must be in an interference free area and have good antenna orientation.
Max Transmission Distance   (Unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 4.3 mi (7 km) - CE: 2.2 mi (3.5 km)

Thank you very much.  I understand that there are a lot of variables.  
2017-8-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Theoretically, we have the specs of the max transmission distance on our official website:2.400 - 2.483 GHz (Unobstructed, free of interference): FCC: 4.3 mi (7 km); CE: 2.2 mi (3.5 km); SRRC: 2.5 mi (4 km).
Flight distance sometimes relates to the flight environment, we would suggest that you fly the drone in a wide and broad place.
Also, the position of the antennas makes a great effort, too. Check the position of the antennas for the remote controller. Distance should be greater than height during flight. Instruct customers to make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft. You can refer to the pic shows below: P4P_Controller_EN.gif Besides, firmware sometimes influences the flight distance, too. So we suggest upgrading the firmware if it is needed.
2017-8-5
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-5 23:03
Theoretically, we have the specs of the max transmission distance on our official website:2.400 - 2.483 GHz (Unobstructed, free of interference): FCC: 4.3 mi (7 km); CE: 2.2 mi (3.5 km); SRRC: 2.5 mi (4 km).
Flight distance sometimes relates to the flight environment, we would suggest that you fly the drone in a wide and broad place.
Also, the position of the antennas makes a great effort, too. Check the position of the antennas for the remote controller. Distance should be greater than height during flight. Instruct customers to make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft. You can refer to the pic shows below:[view_image]Besides, firmware sometimes influences the flight distance, too. So we suggest upgrading the firmware if it is needed.

Thank you very much.  
2017-8-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

You are welcome, should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at any time, we're glad to help.
2017-8-9
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31276 ft
United States

VetteGuy, I've been gradually increasing distance on the P4P.  I find that typically the controller loses contact with the drone at about 0.7 to 0.9 miles away (in my case, standing at ground level with lots of trees) so I make sure I'm using a way point mission when I exceed that distance so that the mission goes on as planned. I've got a complete trip up to about 2.5 miles (9 minutes) with a couple of minutes of black out time that the drone is out of range from the controller. At that time and distance I'm using about 40-45% of the battery so a complete trip of 4 to 5 miles isn't out of the question but could be pushing things a little.

Steve
2017-8-9
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
United States

Steve Slechta Posted at 2017-8-9 07:42
VetteGuy, I've been gradually increasing distance on the P4P.  I find that typically the controller loses contact with the drone at about 0.7 to 0.9 miles away (in my case, standing at ground level with lots of trees) so I make sure I'm using a way point mission when I exceed that distance so that the mission goes on as planned. I've got a complete trip up to about 2.5 miles (9 minutes) with a couple of minutes of black out time that the drone is out of range from the controller. At that time and distance I'm using about 40-45% of the battery so a complete trip of 4 to 5 miles isn't out of the question but could be pushing things a little.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  I've been a little over 1/2 mile away from me, about 250 ft. high.  The drone is getting difficult to see at that distance.  I still have a good connection, but I do not want to lose my brand new drone...lol.  Battery life was not a problem at all.  I have not tried any of the features (RTH, way points, active track, etc. yet).  Still just learning to fly without hitting something...lol.  
2017-8-9
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

The max distance you'll get is really dependent on interference and objects in LOS. Out in the middle of nowhere with no competing signals and unobstructed LOS I've gotten out to 2 miles on a regular P4 and still had headroom to go further.
2017-8-9
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31276 ft
United States

VetteGuyZ06 Posted at 2017-8-9 08:17
Thanks Steve.  I've been a little over 1/2 mile away from me, about 250 ft. high.  The drone is getting difficult to see at that distance.  I still have a good connection, but I do not want to lose my brand new drone...lol.  Battery life was not a problem at all.  I have not tried any of the features (RTH, way points, active track, etc. yet).  Still just learning to fly without hitting something...lol.

Great!  Once you get confident in your free-flight skills you'll really enjoy the other flight modes. The only word of caution I have when you get there is to always know where your home point is and know how to stop the mode you are in so you can take control. Most of all, have fun!
2017-8-9
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
United States

microlinux Posted at 2017-8-9 08:27
The max distance you'll get is really dependent on interference and objects in LOS. Out in the middle of nowhere with no competing signals and unobstructed LOS I've gotten out to 2 miles on a regular P4 and still had headroom to go further.

I don't have any "out in the middle of nowhere" around here to go, except over a lake (don't want to lose it in the lake).  My biggest problem is trees, then normal power lines.  My guess is it can probably fly farther than I can see it anyway...lol.  I just don't want to lose it.  
2017-8-9
Use props
phantom4pro+
New
Flight distance : 933274 ft
United States

2017-8-25
Use props
phantom4pro+
New
United States

I live in a residental area and had my P4P+ over a mile away and had lost connection from my remote to drone.  Always make sure GPS is on and it will come right back from where it left. Have Fun. There awesome!
2017-8-25
Use props
phantom4pro+
New
United States

2017-8-25
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.3
United States

phantom4pro+ Posted at 2017-8-25 14:39
I live in a residental area and had my P4P+ over a mile away and had lost connection from my remote to drone.  Always make sure GPS is on and it will come right back from where it left. Have Fun. There awesome!

Thank you.  I know its supposed to return to where it started if it loses connection, I'm just not sure I want to find out if it will do it or not...lol.  Thanks though...thats good info to know.  
2017-8-25
Use props
ikoophotos
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2132392 ft
Maldives

thank you .
2017-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules