DJI Spark IMU Calibration and What is IMU!?
15051 15 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoeCec
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

2017-8-4
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

Great video!...
2017-8-4
Use props
Rawsome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Nice thank you for sharing!
2017-8-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for sharing. The Spark is equipped with one IMU and one compass. Also, the Spark should be placed in a six different directions for IMU calibration. It is doing great of the video.
2017-8-4
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Excellent ......
2017-8-4
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-4 20:13
Thanks for sharing. The Spark is equipped with one IMU and one compass. Also, the Spark should be placed in a six different directions for IMU calibration. It is doing great of the video.

Watching this video brings a few questions.
When doing the side directions stages (i.e. when the spark is not laying on the belly or back) lettings it stand on the motors without blades results in tilt. We Can see it in the video : the virtual plane that would pass through all motors shaft is not perpendicular to the table.
Is this the intended way of calibrating or should the spark be maintained with this virtual plane being always strictly parallel or perpendicular to the table depending on calibration stage ? This is not clear to me reading the manual.
I would first believe that direction must change 90degree attention each stage but this is not what i see on the video.
2017-8-5
Use props
cmalinowski
lvl.1
United States

Matioupi Posted at 2017-8-5 12:39
Watching this video brings a few questions.
When doing the side directions stages (i.e. when the spark is not laying on the belly or back) lettings it stand on the motors without blades results in tilt. We Can see it in the video : the virtual plane that would pass through all motors shaft is not perpendicular to the table.
Is this the intended way of calibrating or should the spark be maintained with this virtual plane being always strictly parallel or perpendicular to the table depending on calibration stage ? This is not clear to me reading the manual.

I just lay it on the motors like in the video.  I wouldn't try to hold it straight up and down.  My guess is that they have the correction built in for the angle when leaned on a flat, level surface.
2017-8-5
Use props
JoeCec
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-4 20:13

Yes, I stated 5 but performed the 6 in the video while performing calibration .Thank you!
2017-8-5
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

cmalinowski Posted at 2017-8-5 14:23
I just lay it on the motors like in the video.  I wouldn't try to hold it straight up and down.  My guess is that they have the correction built in for the angle when leaned on a flat, level surface.

That would be nice to have official statement about this. On the pictures in the app spark is shown from 'perfect' 90deg angles.
The risk with current doubt is to make a very bad calibration.
I must say that this shows the work DJI still have to accomplish to produce clear unambiguous documentation.
2017-8-5
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

Attached is the front image for the IMU calibration, extracted from the APK.
Following statement is not a definitive argument but on this image there is some shadow right below the front collision avoidance sensor.
This would means that the Spark is not laying on it. And when you let the spark in "natural" equilibrium position with nose down, it will lay on it.

So DJI, which are the correct positions for calibrating IMU ?

natural equilibrium positions (that do not match the pictures in DJI GO4 App) ?

or

ideal 90° angles that will requiere external device to stand the spark (e.g. heavy books)

setting_ui_imu_front_spark.jpg
2017-8-5
Use props
fans56cfd429
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69633 ft
Germany

Hello

If I look also to the calibration process of Mavic and Phantoms,I can assume, that calibration is done in the "natural" positions. For Mavic and Phantom it's clear in the pictures. For Spark a confirmation of DJI would be nice.

Thanks
2017-8-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Matioupi Posted at 2017-8-5 22:10
Attached is the front image for the IMU calibration, extracted from the APK.
Following statement is not a definitive argument but on this image there is some shadow right below the front collision avoidance sensor.
This would means that the Spark is not laying on it. And when you let the spark in "natural" equilibrium position with nose down, it will lay on it.

You can refer to this tutorial:
2017-8-7
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-7 03:12
You can refer to this tutorial:

Thanks for this official tutorial that make things non ambiguous ! : positions are the natural equilibrium positions (if you don't want to look the video)
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Matioupi Posted at 2017-8-7 04:19
Thanks for this official tutorial that make things non ambiguous ! : positions are the natural equilibrium positions (if you don't want to look the video)

Yes. Please make the drone stood naturally and don't move it during calibration.  You are welcome, should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at any time, we're glad to help.
2017-8-8
Use props
DecemB
lvl.1
Thailand

Great video
Thank you like a so much
2018-10-8
Use props
Flighty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1977175 ft