Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Camera Tilt Smoothness
1982 3 2017-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI_ChrisW
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43379 ft
United Kingdom

I've been watching a few videos recently to get some tips on capturing cinematic-type shots with my Spark. Many shots use the gimbal tilt in combination with thrust or forward movement to reveal items, or stay focussed on a subject whilst the drone flies up or past it.

Something I am finding a bit of an issue is adjusting the tilt of the camera smoothly using the camera tilt wheel on the RC to achieve these types of effects, it seems difficult to achieve slow/steady camera movements without it being jerky or sudden. Has anybody else found this, or have you got used to it?

I know when flying with a mobile device (rather than RC) you have the option to tilt the device itself to make the camera tilt. But DJI remove this option when connected via RC, this seems a shame and I wonder if they'd consider adding it back in for RC connected Sparks.

Keen to get some other opinions!
2017-8-4
Use props
Pappy3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

First off, the wheel functions in a similar fashion as a zoom rocker for a video camera. The further away you move the wheel away from the neutral position,the faster the tilt motion is. To adjust the sensitivity you can go into the Go 4 app and adjust "Gimbal Tilt Speed". I set it to "13" for super slow tilt to start and then advance to medium tilt speed at the end of motion for the tilt wheel.
Screenshot_20170802-144618.png
2017-8-4
Use props
Chris Watts
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43379 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply. It was a bit of a newbie question on my part. I discovered today the purpose of the Tripod mode! I hadn't appreciated why I'd need it until today. So as many of you no doubt know (and now I do too...) Tripod mode reduces the sensitivity for all controls - camera tilt, left right, yaw, throttle. Making movements much more slow steady, and less jerky based on RC inputs. I was using this mode today to film my daughter overhead at the play park and it was awesome - combining camera tilt with throttle it produced a really cool movie crane type effect. Very happy.
2017-8-6
Use props
bcharleson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 521811 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good you found Tripod mode! I was just about to suggest it after reading your first post. For me it is the most used definitely when recording cinematic shots.
2017-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules