Latest Firmware Bricked My Spark
2226 19 2017-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
esquirephotogra
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33862 ft
United States

I updated my DJI spark this morning before a client shoot and now I'm pretty bummed because this error is prohibiting my Spark from connecting:  air Encoder Error 0x800000.

Prior to updating to the latest firmware, the Spark flew 99% flawlessly and now it's a door stop.

Anyone having similar issues or better yet - fixes for this problem?
2017-8-5
Use props
esquirephotogra
lvl.1
United States

Update:   I downgraded the firmware and it then it wouldn't activate wifi to connect.  I selected "Restore Factory Default" and it went through the entire cycle to 100% and has been stuck there for the past 10 minutes.  The battery was getting very low and I've since replaced the battery and when the Assistant 2 came back up, it went back to the Restoring Factory Defaults window saying it was at 100%.  DJI - please advise as this is an integral part of my client's upcoming shoot today.  Thank you.
2017-8-5
Use props
BlueSkies99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3238 ft
United States

esquirephotogra Posted at 2017-8-5 08:03
Update:   I downgraded the firmware and it then it wouldn't activate wifi to connect.  I selected "Restore Factory Default" and it went through the entire cycle to 100% and has been stuck there for the past 10 minutes.  The battery was getting very low and I've since replaced the battery and when the Assistant 2 came back up, it went back to the Restoring Factory Defaults window saying it was at 100%.  DJI - please advise as this is an integral part of my client's upcoming shoot today.  Thank you.

I've had too many similar experiences.  I feel for you and have nothing to help your current situation.  But I have learned to not install updates to computers, software, cameras, or in this case drones, when faced with a time critical project.  Sorry for your troubles.  I hope it works out.  
2017-8-5
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Try with a fully charged battery. It cannot below 50 percent try the current fw hit "refresh"
2017-8-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I feel regret for the difficulties that you are experiencing, please try to re-upgrade to the latest firmware and change another SD card to see will the message disappear. Please keep us updated if the problem persists, thank you.
2017-8-6
Use props
GONLADAR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14705 ft

United States

SERIOUSLY? That's all we get Thor?
I have been battling with all of this for weeks! I've spent countless hours researching the forums and web. This Air encoder error has been going on for months!  It's very dissapointing that there never seems to be an official manufacturer response or solution. All i have ever seen from the administrator is placations. I honestly don't think THEY know or have a soution .
Here is where I am as of this morning. I have replaced the sd card, reloaded everything from fthe Mavic firmware, Go 4 software, cleaned up all folders,reinstalled all drivers, new cables, using the dji provided ones now, recalibrated everything, re-linked/bound the drone to transmitter, developer mode, airplane mode and 1000 other things .............no joy.
By the way,  I get it to work 1 time out of 10 disconnect/reconnect procedures mixing up the sequence of ONs. No sequence is absolute! The only thing I have done with any positive effect is switch mobile devices. I was using an older Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and I think it was getting taxed toooooo much.  I switched to a iPhone SE and while I still get similar errors,  I am at 1 out of 3 or 4 connections. I want to upgrade the device even more and see what happens. This drone ROCKS...........every once in a while when it decides to work. This is why I like the FPV Racing drones using BF open source firmware. We have ZERO options except for relying on the manufacturer. MERCY MERCY MERCY
2017-8-6
Use props
esquirephotogra
lvl.1
United States

BlueSkies99 Posted at 2017-8-5 15:32
I've had too many similar experiences.  I feel for you and have nothing to help your current situation.  But I have learned to not install updates to computers, software, cameras, or in this case drones, when faced with a time critical project.  Sorry for your troubles.  I hope it works out.

Thanks for your note & it was totally crazy what happened.  I'm right there with you about time-critical situations, but my client is very familiar with the drone and was seeking some of the new & improved features for the shoot.  Fortunately, after about 3 1/2 hours of working with it - it came together after multiple installs of the firmware & flushing the wifi on the drone.  Frustration on back end = very happy and satisfied client.  Yay!
2017-8-8
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

update in my experience gets stuck at 71% for longest time like upwards of 10 minutes then shoot up to finished for updating the spark body module over USB on PC with dji go assistant 2.   this is totally normal, but make sure before you start that you have fresh battery, good usb cable that isn't damaged or possibly damaged (heavily used?) and just relax..  

if it fails (not get stuck), end it, swap battery out for fresh one or let that battery charge up to 100%.. then click refresh.. if it fails again, try a new usb cable.. i have had iPhones back in the day like iPhone 4 days, that when updating via iTunes , thecable was able it acted like normal for most part but updates would crash or fail.. not sure how it happens or why broken cables work for most things seens normal but updates cause issues with bad cables..
2017-8-8
Use props
esquirephotogra
lvl.1
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-8-5 15:41
Try with a fully charged battery. It cannot below 50 percent try the current fw hit "refresh"

Thanks $gambino$ for yr additional advice and I most def made sure I have fresh, topped batteries.  I learned that the hard way many years ago.  :-)
2017-8-8
Use props
esquirephotogra
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-6 02:49
I feel regret for the difficulties that you are experiencing, please try to re-upgrade to the latest firmware and change another SD card to see will the message disappear. Please keep us updated if the problem persists, thank you.

Thank you for your suggestions & I most def did that several times.  Also, as a professional photographer, using only pro-grade memory cards is the only way for my media.  All it takes is one memory card to fail & one never uses anything less.
2017-8-8
Use props
esquirephotogra
lvl.1
United States

GONLADAR Posted at 2017-8-6 11:05
I have been battling with all of this for weeks! I've spent countless hours researching the forums and web. This Air encoder error has been going on for months!  It's very dissapointing that there never seems to be an official manufacturer response or solution. All i have ever seen from the administrator is placations. I honestly don't think THEY know or have a soution .
Here is where I am as of this morning. I have replaced the sd card, reloaded everything from fthe Mavic firmware, Go 4 software, cleaned up all folders,reinstalled all drivers, new cables, using the dji provided ones now, recalibrated everything, re-linked/bound the drone to transmitter, developer mode, airplane mode and 1000 other things .............no joy.

I'm a total newbie to the drone world, but with the voluminous amount of issues you're having - it sounds like a possible defective unit.  Whenever I, or my friends have a laundry-list of BS with a new DSLR, it's back to the store or manufacturer for a replacement.  Is that a possible option for you still?
2017-8-8
Use props
Canonian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37740 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

esquirephotogra Posted at 2017-8-8 16:18
I'm a total newbie to the drone world, but with the voluminous amount of issues you're having - it sounds like a possible defective unit.  Whenever I, or my friends have a laundry-list of BS with a new DSLR, it's back to the store or manufacturer for a replacement.  Is that a possible option for you still?

Well, why don't you sent back to store where you bough it?
2017-8-8
Use props
GONLADAR
lvl.1

United States

esquirephotogra Posted at 2017-8-8 16:18

Send in for repair will be difficult. It's not even mine. A friend bought it and suprisingly he does not want it anymore. He claims he had no problems. But he was only one update back.hard to imagine he never had any problems.  I'm actually in an odd spot.
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

esquirephotogra Posted at 2017-8-8 16:15
Thank you for your suggestions & I most def did that several times.  Also, as a professional photographer, using only pro-grade memory cards is the only way for my media.  All it takes is one memory card to fail & one never uses anything less.

Could you please export the upgrading log of the drone and upload to Dropbox? I would help to check more.
Here are the routes that upgrading log stored, please try to export it:
Assistant 2: C:/Users/XXXXXXXX/AppData/Romaing/DJI Assistant 2/upgrade_log
ios app: log/upgrade0
Android app: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4/LOG/CACHE/UP_NEW_ALL
Thanks in advance.
2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

GONLADAR Posted at 2017-8-6 11:05

We are so sorry for the difficulties. If the error code persists after upgrading, could you please export the upgrading log for analysing? Please refer to my reply on 14#. Thank you.
2017-8-10
Use props
GONLADAR
lvl.1

United States

Some good news for a change. I took everything to work and loaded up Assistant 2 on the office computer. I was able to downgrade one version on both RC and drone, then with udder amazement to me, it upgraded both to current version with no issues, problems or failures!
With absolute estatic enthusiasm, I booted the RC and aircraft and again to my complete amazement I HAD VIDEO, AN SD CARD AND NO ERRORS!
I disconnected and reconnected 2 times and it worked every time! EVERYTHING IS FIXED!

OMG.......I HAD TO GET MY HOPES UP!
I get home and NO JOY! Same no video, no SD card and my dear friend AIR ENCODER ERROR 80000000000000000000000000000000000

I'm going to take it back to work in the morning and see if things work again.  If so I will have to start considering INTERFERENCE as the problem.
I'll keep you updated.
2017-8-10
Use props
GONLADAR
lvl.1

United States

Thor,
Could you please give me a more detailed, technical definition of
AIR ENCODER ERROR 8000000000?
PLEASE!

THANKS
2017-8-10
Use props
GONLADAR
lvl.1

United States

GONLADAR Posted at 2017-8-10 20:35
Thor,
Could you please give me a more detailed, technical definition of
AIR ENCODER ERROR 8000000000?

GUESS NOT. THAT'S ENCOURAGING
2017-8-12
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

esquirephotogra Posted at 2017-8-8 16:15

With the Spark it's not a matter of "pro grade" SD cards - use one in their list whenever possible. They have published a list just for the Spark. I had problems with "higher spec" and other cards, but none since I used the card on the list.
2017-8-19
Use props
HighPerCom
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22749 ft
United States

GONLADAR Posted at 2017-8-10 20:33
Some good news for a change. I took everything to work and loaded up Assistant 2 on the office computer. I was able to downgrade one version on both RC and drone, then with udder amazement to me, it upgraded both to current version with no issues, problems or failures!
With absolute estatic enthusiasm, I booted the RC and aircraft and again to my complete amazement I HAD VIDEO, AN SD CARD AND NO ERRORS!
I disconnected and reconnected 2 times and it worked every time! EVERYTHING IS FIXED!

Hi! Having problems myself and wondered if you made any progress?
2017-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules