Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
phantom 4 controller firware messed up
2582 36 2017-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

I was trying to upgrade the firware on my phantom 4 drone and controller and I believe the drone is ok. But somehow the controller is screwed up. It started to do the update and then stopped for some reason. Now when i turn the controller on it goes on instantly and i only need to puch the power button once and the indicator light is kind of a light green. And it will not connect with the drone at all. I tried to reprogram it and my tablet says it is disconnected. I can't access it or get it to reprogram at all. I can sure use some help. Can I some how put it back to default or what ever. I also tried to rebind it with the drone, no luck there either. Thanks for any help

2017-8-6
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fansc4b,

Your last line was going to be my first suggestion.  It looks like you got it right that the problem is in the controller.  You will need to refresh the controller firmware using Assistant 2.  Be sure to download and install DJI Assistant 2 v1.1.2-2 from the P4 "Downloads" page at the DJi web site.  This version is very important because it manages the firmware versions and completion of the installations.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-6
Use props
usarfireman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79957 ft
United Kingdom

Try this, Connect your controller to your device and turn on (iPhone iPad Samsung etc ) DO NOT! turn on drone, launch  the Go4 app on home screen there are 3 bars top right of the screen press on that for about 10 secs this should bring up controller firmware only, choose the one you want to reinstall hopefully this should work but you never know with DJI lately. I reverted to earlier version of mine but it was the P4 firmware that was the problem so downgraded this and everything working fine now.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sounds like a reset might help:-

* Turn on the controller, the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter (top right button nearest antenna) on the controller and hold for about 2 seconds or so until it beeps (D-DDD), then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote if needed.

This can be done manually (without using DJI Go):-

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button (top left button) on the controller, then the controller will beep 'D-DD'.
*Let go all fingers, then press the wheel on the right side of the controller (It's a 'click wheel', similar to a mouse wheel) and then the first light of the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will link soon.

Given your current firmware situation ,a reload of firmware as described previously would probably be wise.

Make sure RC is at least 50% charged otherwise upgrade will not work (fully charged would be best option).

Note that V1.9.2 is what's required for latest aircraft firmware.

2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 04:20

I tried the c1-c2, etc thing and absolutely nothing happens. When I run the djigo4 app and set it for a phantom 4 drone, and go to try to install a previous firmware version, it wants to install firmware for a phantom3. I am pretty sure this is what I did the first time. I need to try to get it to accept p4 firmware. Thanks fr helping guys.
2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

it now somehow got  1.5.80 installed and the only choices it gives me are 1.6.0 and 1.8.0. All of which are phantom 3 controller firmware versions I believe.
2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

I tried the c1-c2-, etc thing and nothing at all happens.  It now has 1.5.80 installed, so it says and the only choices I have are 1.8.0 and 1.6.0. All of which are phantom 3 firmware. And I set the first screen to phantom4 and it stays that way but when i go to update, the top left corner of the screen says "Equipment: phantom3". And I can't change it. geeees. Any more ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansc4b2226a Posted at 2017-8-6 04:49
it now somehow got  1.5.80 installed and the only choices it gives me are 1.6.0 and 1.8.0. All of which are phantom 3 controller firmware versions I believe.

They were also P4 versions...

Connect all and power up, with a good wifi connection to device.

tap on the top left of screen (to show 'Aircraft Status' list), does it advise that an update is required (might take a moment to show up). If it does then follow that route by taping on 'Overall Status' and should update RC.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansc4b2226a Posted at 2017-8-6 04:59
I tried the c1-c2-, etc thing and nothing at all happens.  It now has 1.5.80 installed, so it says and the only choices I have are 1.8.0 and 1.6.0. All of which are phantom 3 firmware. And I set the first screen to phantom4 and it stays that way but when i go to update, the top left corner of the screen says "Equipment: phantom3". And I can't change it. geeees. Any more ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try installing V1.8 at present, that should be enough to get RC up and going. Ignore what it says about aircraft type, it doesn't know that until it can talk to aircraft (which it can't at moment, RC not playing).
2017-8-6
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.1
United States

I tried to update my firmware the other day while on vacation.  It completely shut me down.  My RC wont connect to the drone anymore.  I called support, they walked me through step to link the controller to the drone and that did not work.  They then told me that its a manufacturing issue and I need to send it in for repairs, at no cost.  Really?!  This is my business, I take photos for realtors.  I've already had to cancel 2 jobs for next week.  This could really hurt me.  Does anyone have any advice??
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChristineL Posted at 2017-8-6 06:13
I tried to update my firmware the other day while on vacation.  It completely shut me down.  My RC wont connect to the drone anymore.  I called support, they walked me through step to link the controller to the drone and that did not work.  They then told me that its a manufacturing issue and I need to send it in for repairs, at no cost.  Really?!  This is my business, I take photos for realtors.  I've already had to cancel 2 jobs for next week.  This could really hurt me.  Does anyone have any advice??

This might get more response if you start a new thread. This will save any confusion being made with the OP (Original Poster ) of this thread.
2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 05:16
Try installing V1.8 at present, that should be enough to get RC up and going. Ignore what it says about aircraft type, it doesn't know that until it can talk to aircraft (which it can't at moment, RC not playing).

Thanks, ill try that. didn't know it got the drone type from the drone. Need to check that.
2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

i installed 1.8 and nothing changed. darn! if this thing didn't cost so much, I'd buy a new one.
2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

I'm pretty sure this thing still thinks it's a p3 controller and it won't let me out anything in it besides p3 firmare, which does not seem to work at all. Weird.
2017-8-6
Use props
ChristineL
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 06:21
This might get more response if you start a new thread. This will save any confusion being made with the OP (Original Poster ) of this thread.

ok thank you
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansc4b2226a Posted at 2017-8-6 06:57
I'm pretty sure this thing still thinks it's a p3 controller and it won't let me out anything in it besides p3 firmare, which does not seem to work at all. Weird.

NO it doesn't think it's a P3 controller, the P3 and P4 controllers are more or less identical.

My P4 certainly ran fine on V1.5.80, V1.6 & V1.8. Remember your display device running the App' talks to the controller (the RC) which then communicates with the aircraft. If no communication with aircraft then it hasn't got a Scooby what the aircraft is, and the App' goes to a default display.

Now that you've updated controller to V1.8, you may need to re-link controller to aircraft :-

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button (top left button) on the controller, then the controller will beep 'D-DD'.
*Let go all fingers, then press the wheel on the right side of the controller (It's a 'click wheel', similar to a mouse wheel) and then the first light of the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will link soon.

Edit I usually turn on aircraft 1st, if you watch the rear lights you will see it running through it's self test routines before settling down to a flashing yellow. Then turn on controller, LED on controller should turn from red to green, then connect and run DJI Go 4.

Finally if you get this to work, you will be prompted by DJI Go 4 to update firmware on controller to V1.9.2

Scooby=Scooby Doo (Rhymes with 'Clue').

2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 07:09
NO it doesn't think it's a P3 controller, the P3 and P4 controllers are more or less identical.

My P4 certainly ran fine on V1.5.80, V1.6 & V1.8. Remember your display device running the App' talks to the controller (the RC) which then communicates with the aircraft. If no communication with aircraft then it hasn't got a Scooby what the aircraft is, and the App' goes to a default display.

OK, good to know about the controllers. Even though the firmware says it is up dated, I can not link it. The four LEDs on the front of the controller light up and the one on the left is a combination of white, green and blue all together. Looks like a light mint green. When i turn it on, I only need to push it once and it lights up. To turn it off, i need to do it as stated in the instructions. It absolutely will not link!.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansc4b2226a Posted at 2017-8-6 10:08
OK, good to know about the controllers. Even though the firmware says it is up dated, I can not link it. The four LEDs on the front of the controller light up and the one on the left is a combination of white, green and blue all together. Looks like a light mint green. When i turn it on, I only need to push it once and it lights up. To turn it off, i need to do it as stated in the instructions. It absolutely will not link!.

When you push once the 4 white LEDs light up giving you an indication of the charge on the RC battery.

to turn on push_release_push and hold for 4 seconds.

The LED to the left will be red or green, or perhaps flashing red/green.

Mint green might be good enough.

If aircraft and controller on, and green LED on controller then the Controller (the RC) should be communicating with the aircraft. Without the props fitted (or any display device) you could test this out by starting the motors, push both sticks on RC down and towards the centre. The motors should start, and same again, or left stick down for three seconds should stop motors. This proves beyond doubt that the RC & Aircraft are talking to each other.

I usually start aircraft first , give it about 30 seconds or so to go through its diagnostics, then I power up controller, then display device and run DJI Go 4 App'.
2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 10:29
When you push once the 4 white LEDs light up giving you an indication of the charge on the RC battery.

to turn on push_release_push and hold for 4 seconds.

I certainly appreciate your time and help, BUT. I think you might misunderstand me a bit. When I push the button once, it goes on and stays on. If I push it a second time, nothing happens.The batteries are fully charged. To turn it off, I have to push it twice. The 2nd time I push it to turn it off, I have to hold it until all the leds go out. NOW, it wants me to install djigo in place of djigo4 because it thinks i have a phantom 3 controller.  This is getting crazy. Wish there were just a way to do a factory reset and start over.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansc4b2226a Posted at 2017-8-6 10:33
I certainly appreciate your time and help, BUT. I think you might misunderstand me a bit. When I push the button once, it goes on and stays on. If I push it a second time, nothing happens.The batteries are fully charged. To turn it off, I have to push it twice. The 2nd time I push it to turn it off, I have to hold it until all the leds go out. NOW, it wants me to install djigo in place of djigo4 because it thinks i have a phantom 3 controller.  This is getting crazy. Wish there were just a way to do a factory reset and start over.

So you push button once and LEDs come on and are still on say 30 seconds later ?

The RC is well charged isn't it ?

The factory reset for the RC is:-

* Press C1, C2, and shutter (top right button nearest antenna) on the controller and hold for about 2 seconds or so until it beeps (D-DDD), then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote if needed.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prove that the controller is talking to the aircraft first by doing that motor start test, if that doesn't work then the App' has no way of knowing what aircraft is being used. If the RC reset doesn't work then it could be a faulty unit. You do not need the App' or display to fly the aircraft. Ignore that until you get RC talking to aircraft.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you upgrade the P4 using Assistant 2 ?
2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 10:53
Did you upgrade the P4 using Assistant 2 ?

YES I did that and it appears to be correct
2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 10:44
So you push button once and LEDs come on and are still on say 30 seconds later ?

The RC is well charged isn't it ?

Yep. LEDs stay on and the controller is on. The back panel gets lightly warm. It will stay on until turned off. It will not communicate with the drone at all. Tried motor start. No luck. I also tried your reset which i have seen several places on this forum. Absolutely nothing happens. I'd get the same effect turning my bathroom light off and on.
   This is my second dji drone and the first one i did several updates with no problem. This one is a different story. I though updates were supposed to be an improvement or a good thing. Wish i would have left it alone and it worked perfectly a couple days ago. Thank you. Next idea.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansc4b2226a Posted at 2017-8-6 11:17
Yep. LEDs stay on and the controller is on. The back panel gets lightly warm. It will stay on until turned off. It will not communicate with the drone at all. Tried motor start. No luck. I also tried your reset which i have seen several places on this forum. Absolutely nothing happens. I'd get the same effect turning my bathroom light off and on.
   This is my second dji drone and the first one i did several updates with no problem. This one is a different story. I though updates were supposed to be an improvement or a good thing. Wish i would have left it alone and it worked perfectly a couple days ago. Thank you. Next idea.

OK with display device connected to controller and both powered up (Aircraft off)., and display with a good wifi connection.

Run DJI Go 4 App'.

Do you have an option to select aircraft type, if so select P4 (if not then go with what's available). Then tap on 'enter device'.
At top left of screen where it says 'aircraft disconnected' tap there. You should then see the 'Aircraft Status' menu.
In the 'Overall Status' does it say 'update required' (or similar), if so then tap on that and it should with a bit of luck download and update V1.9.2 on RC. Then re-boot all and try as before.

If not then re-boot all and try again.

If all still fails and you are sure you were doing factory reset correctly then it looks like controller could be faulty (12 month warranty).
2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 12:38
OK with display device connected to controller and both powered up (Aircraft off)., and display with a good wifi connection.

Run DJI Go 4 App'.

I'll try what you suggest a little later today or in the morning. I doubt the controller is at fault. It worked fine until I tried the upgrade so I'm pretty sure its the controller. I wonder if you can just get a different IC that controls all the programming and start over?
2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 12:38

Run DJI Go 4 App'.

And I did select the aircraft type on the first screen but when I go to the upgrade screen it will sometimes say something like no connection or phantom 3. Then while i am trying to upgrade, it wants me to install djigo for phantom 3 and does not want to use dji4.  I absolutely will not shell out $300.00 plus for another controller.Out of the question. My wife thinks I'm nuts now spending big bucks on this stuff. For the money, dji should have a better deal. I bought this last September so  is there a year warranty on it? The dealer I bought it from on eBay no longer seems top sell them. Can I go through dji if the warranty is good?? Thanks Again.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansc4b2226a Posted at 2017-8-6 13:12
And I did select the aircraft type on the first screen but when I go to the upgrade screen it will sometimes say something like no connection or phantom 3. Then while i am trying to upgrade, it wants me to install djigo for phantom 3 and does not want to use dji4.  I absolutely will not shell out $300.00 plus for another controller.Out of the question. My wife thinks I'm nuts now spending big bucks on this stuff. For the money, dji should have a better deal. I bought this last September so  is there a year warranty on it? The dealer I bought it from on eBay no longer seems top sell them. Can I go through dji if the warranty is good?? Thanks Again.

RC has a 12 month warranty, I'm sure some of the DJI moderators here may be able to advise you as to best course of action, all else failing of course :-)

A very worst case, I would imagine you'd be able to pick one up cheap on eBay.
2017-8-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear the issue of your controller and would recommend you send it in for diagnosis and repair, please refer to the link below to contact the support to start a repair case.  http://www.dji.com/support
2017-8-6
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 13:27
RC has a 12 month warranty, I'm sure some of the DJI moderators here may be able to advise you as to best course of action, all else failing of course :-)

A very worst case, I would imagine you'd be able to pick one up cheap on eBay.

OK. Thanks very much for the help. It is still under warranty so I am going to go that route before the warranty expires.
2017-8-7
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-6 23:24
I'm sorry to hear the issue of your controller and would recommend you send it in for diagnosis and repair, please refer to the link below to contact the support to start a repair case.  http://www.dji.com/support

Hey, thank you. I'm on my way to do just that.
2017-8-7
Use props
fansc4b2226a
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-6 23:24

Hi,
I followed your recommendation 3 days ago and filled out a repair request the same day by email and have yet to hear from dji. I received a "form" email saying they received my request and that's it. Do you have any idea how long this takes?? My warranty is up in September and I really need this controller repaired or replaced NOW. Thank you.
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI User 32413
New

United States

fansc4b2226a Posted at 2017-8-9 02:56
Hi,
I followed your recommendation 3 days ago and filled out a repair request the same day by email and have yet to hear from dji. I received a "form" email saying they received my request and that's it. Do you have any idea how long this takes?? My warranty is up in September and I really need this controller repaired or replaced NOW. Thank you.

So I had the same issue when I did the firmware upgrade and my have found a solution. When in the Go App the device would not connect and when I long pressed the three lines on the main screen it would say that I had a Phantom 3 controller and would only let me roll back to older firmware versions. Try this, turn on the controller and connect it to the DJI GO 4 App. Enter the device and choose the update firmware button while in the flight screen. it will give you the option to update to version 1.92. When I updated it fully connects to my drone and everything works great! It still says that I have a Phantom 3 controller but it works at least.

Good Luck!
2017-8-9
Use props
Flyin Ryan 420
First Officer
Flight distance : 2097713 ft
United States

Mine was doing same after installing hdmi module. Finally I used my iPhone instead of iPad and it worked. But I had to do like above post states.
2017-8-9
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

I recetly had an issue with mine it would connect to P4 without video feed. Controller was apparently latest version although showed as version 1.6. No idea what happened i tried for hours to get it back to a proper firmware. Then gave up and left it on charge. Returned to it and tried in the hope it may work and low and behold the update went through using the suggestion three lines hold method. Which I had already tried multiple times before hand..
2017-8-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fansc4b2226a Posted at 2017-8-9 02:56
Hi,

I understand your feeling. Could you PM me your ticket number and email address? I'd like to check the exact status.
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-8-10 19:04
I recetly had an issue with mine it would connect to P4 without video feed. Controller was apparently latest version although showed as version 1.6. No idea what happened i tried for hours to get it back to a proper firmware. Then gave up and left it on charge. Returned to it and tried in the hope it may work and low and behold the update went through using the suggestion three lines hold method. Which I had already tried multiple times before hand..

Is there any update message when you powered on the RC only? I would recommend you to check whether the current aircraft and controller firmware matched or not. A screenshot of ABOUT interface will be appreciated.
2017-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules