7009 37 2017-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

Hey all,

My spark went into atti mode and tried to fly away, i managed to get control of it and bring it down. i was using an iphone 6 with OTG. this is the first time it has ever happened and only the 3rd time using OTG after about 70 flights.

I flew a couple of times afterwards and it seemed to work fine. i had lots of satelites connected before it went into atti.

Please review my flight logs and update me on what happened.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9aa030 ... 6_10-20-40.BAK?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2f9ja ... 3lxdSMw6yPI9Qa?dl=0
2017-8-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can you upload to link below and come back and post link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-8-6
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-6 06:01

no problem, it seems like it will take a while though
2017-8-6
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-6 06:01

it does not work, the sight keeps crashing.
2017-8-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-6 06:04
it does not work, the sight keeps crashing.

Maybe problem with sight , try later, you can also use airdata log but not as comprehensive.
2017-8-6
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-6 06:13
Maybe problem with sight , try later, you can also use airdata log but not as comprehensive.

i cant find the DJI go app on itunes. the only app showing is instagram for some reason so i have no idea whats going on.
2017-8-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

If the drone entered to ATTI mode mid flight, that might because the drone entered to a place with magnetic interference. Please check is there many concretes around the flight place. You can try to fly the aircraft in an open area. If this issue persists, you can send you flight records to us for diagnosis. Thank you.
2017-8-7
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-7 00:19
If the drone entered to ATTI mode mid flight, that might because the drone entered to a place with magnetic interference. Please check is there many concretes around the flight place. You can try to fly the aircraft in an open area. If this issue persists, you can send you flight records to us for diagnosis. Thank you.

i was on a huge beach with no people, no houses, no electricity. there was absolutely no interference. the same thing happened to mine that happened to others. it entered atti mode and then said RTH was going to enter a no fly zone and started to fly away. luckily i managed to still control it. i did not lose connection. please send my flight records in for analysis. the links are above.

Thanks  
2017-8-7
Use props
RossHayes
lvl.1
United States

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-7 03:10
i was on a huge beach with no people, no houses, no electricity. there was absolutely no interference. the same thing happened to mine that happened to others. it entered atti mode and then said RTH was going to enter a no fly zone and started to fly away. luckily i managed to still control it. i did not lose connection. please send my flight records in for analysis. the links are above.

Thanks

I had an issue exactly the same! Was flying on a field which was surrounded by other fields and the spark suddenly went into ATTI mode and declared the RTH path would enter a NFZ. Luckily I was able to bring the spark under control and land it!
2017-8-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RossHayes Posted at 2017-8-7 05:48
I had an issue exactly the same! Was flying on a field which was surrounded by other fields and the spark suddenly went into ATTI mode and declared the RTH path would enter a NFZ. Luckily I was able to bring the spark under control and land it!

I haven't seen this message, could the message have said, your AC will be flying close to NFZ? Rather than saying you are entering NFZ .
2017-8-7
Use props
RossHayes
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-7 05:55
I haven't seen this message, could the message have said, your AC will be flying close to NFZ? Rather than saying you are entering NFZ .

Just watched the flight record, I have a message which states the RTH mode will pass a NFZ followed my a message about magnetic interference which activated a compass error leading to ATTI mode. Was a very scary moment! We have had DJI products in my family for years, never had an issue like this with our phantoms! Tested my skills to return the bird to the ground safely!
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-7 03:10

Thanks

I've forwarded it to our engineers for analysis, will get back to you once we got a reply from them, appreciate your patience.
2017-8-7
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-7 05:55

It said "current RTH route will pass a NFZ" then it said it is exiting P mode and there was a compass failure.
2017-8-8
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

RossHayes Posted at 2017-8-7 06:53
Just watched the flight record, I have a message which states the RTH mode will pass a NFZ followed my a message about magnetic interference which activated a compass error leading to ATTI mode. Was a very scary moment! We have had DJI products in my family for years, never had an issue like this with our phantoms! Tested my skills to return the bird to the ground safely!

i am a beginner in the drone world and it tested my skills too. i can understand why beginners have been having fly a ways! especially if there's a bit of wind.
2017-8-8
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-7 18:21
I've forwarded it to our engineers for analysis, will get back to you once we got a reply from them, appreciate your patience.

i appreciate you getting back to me. please keep us updated.
2017-8-8
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Diana - any news yet?
2017-8-8
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

Rawsome Posted at 2017-8-8 10:18
Diana - any news yet?

No offense to Diana but i seriously doubt we will actually get any update. i just hoped to shed some more light on the situation.
2017-8-9
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

So the ATTI mode still allows you to control the aircraft quite easily? I've never experienced this yet.....but I am going to be flying in some low GPS signal area so want to be comfortable I know what happens if it does lose GPS signal and goes in to ATTI mode.
2017-8-10
Use props
MikeParkeris
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12677 ft
Canada

This has been happening to me as well, losing gps atti mode and rth ..... very scary when your at the lake .....
2017-8-10
Use props
djmodifyd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26729 ft
United States

Same thing happened to me a couple days ago.  around 1000 feet away, 300 feet high, had a GPS interference  message, compass error and then it went into ATTI mode.  I did have some error about RTH and NFZ.  I was over a lake, so my heart started thumping.  I had full control so I just slowly flew towards me, and then it went back into normal P-GPS mode.  Lasted just a few minutes in ATTI mode, and then flew it for another 6 or 7 minutes with no issues.  

i was in sport mode when it happened.  I then went back out of sport mode and after that it re-gained P-GPS mode.  

What mode were you guys in?  Sport?  maybe this is something that could be causing it.

I haven't flown since this error as it's been raining.  so I'm not sure if it will repeat or if it was a fluke.  
2017-8-10
Use props
Retroglide08
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13015 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-7 00:19

This is interesting as I had a warning appear last evening while flying. I had a good gps signal warning caused by magnetic interference. I was in the open high up at a dissuade airfield. Lots of open country. Then realised I was stood on a large concrete circle (formally an airfield building I guess) so I guess this might have caused the interference
2017-8-10
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

djmodifyd Posted at 2017-8-10 20:09
Same thing happened to me a couple days ago.  around 1000 feet away, 300 feet high, had a GPS interference  message, compass error and then it went into ATTI mode.  I did have some error about RTH and NFZ.  I was over a lake, so my heart started thumping.  I had full control so I just slowly flew towards me, and then it went back into normal P-GPS mode.  Lasted just a few minutes in ATTI mode, and then flew it for another 6 or 7 minutes with no issues.  

i was in sport mode when it happened.  I then went back out of sport mode and after that it re-gained P-GPS mode.  

i was in P mode
2017-8-11
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

Retroglide08 Posted at 2017-8-10 21:01
This is interesting as I had a warning appear last evening while flying. I had a good gps signal warning caused by magnetic interference. I was in the open high up at a dissuade airfield. Lots of open country. Then realised I was stood on a large concrete circle (formally an airfield building I guess) so I guess this might have caused the interference [view_image]

the reason is because there is almost always re-bar in concrete and it will mess up your compass.
2017-8-11
Use props
Retroglide08
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13015 ft
United Kingdom

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-11 01:36
the reason is because there is almost always re-bar in concrete and it will mess up your compass.

Thank you. It wasn’t until I looked down I realised it could have been that  Picture here
2017-8-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Retroglide08 Posted at 2017-8-10 21:01
This is interesting as I had a warning appear last evening while flying. I had a good gps signal warning caused by magnetic interference. I was in the open high up at a dissuade airfield. Lots of open country. Then realised I was stood on a large concrete circle (formally an airfield building I guess) so I guess this might have caused the interference [view_image]

Alright. It's always being good to find out the reason. Thanks for the feedback.
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. We'd glad to help.
2017-8-13
Use props
Rockstar2757
lvl.2
Flight distance : 370420 ft
United States

maybe this can help... decided to fly indoors. Take off in ATTI mode about 20 feet away from patio door. Controls fine, but when I get near door, it goes into GPS mode and starts to "float" in weird directions. Kinda like a cheap drone, it doesn't stop when I let go of the controls. I manage to control it back away from the door, it goes back in to ATTI mode and it snaps back in to better control. I did this a few times and it happened every time. Can this be the "fly away" problem people are having?
2017-8-16
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Rockstar2757 Posted at 2017-8-16 21:35
maybe this can help... decided to fly indoors. Take off in ATTI mode about 20 feet away from patio door. Controls fine, but when I get near door, it goes into GPS mode and starts to "float" in weird directions. Kinda like a cheap drone, it doesn't stop when I let go of the controls. I manage to control it back away from the door, it goes back in to ATTI mode and it snaps back in to better control. I did this a few times and it happened every time. Can this be the "fly away" problem people are having?

I experienced this once
2017-8-16
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

Rockstar2757 Posted at 2017-8-16 21:35

i believe there may have been less light next to the door causing the VPS to cut out. that, in my opinion, is what caused your spark to "float"
2017-8-17
Use props
Rockstar2757
lvl.2
Flight distance : 370420 ft
United States

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-17 01:14
i believe there may have been less light next to the door causing the VPS to cut out. that, in my opinion, is what caused your spark to "float"

Yes, I realized that after I posted. You're right, there was less light near the door and it went into ATTI mode, then when it came back to the light it went into OPTI mode. Well, at lest there was a reason for the switch which i didn't realize before. I feel a bit safer knowing that it didn't happen for no reason. I will panic if it ever DOES happen for no reason.
2017-8-17
Use props
Adamr
lvl.1
South Africa

Ok so I have been trying to root cause this ... Yesterday in an area with no interference I correctly calibrated the compass with the drone facing in the same direction as the compass on the app shows. North also highlighted correctly

Flew with the drone with no issues

Today at the same spot I noticed the compass pointing in a direction that the drone wasn't facing ... This with no calibration done

Why would this happen?
2017-8-18
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

Adamr Posted at 2017-8-18 00:57
Ok so I have been trying to root cause this ... Yesterday in an area with no interference I correctly calibrated the compass with the drone facing in the same direction as the compass on the app shows. North also highlighted correctly

Flew with the drone with no issues

i have seen the same thing yesterday, when i was up and out about 75 meters it said the drone was pointing 12:00 when it was actually pointing about 2:00, when it was 3 meters away and 2 meters off the ground it was accurate.
2017-8-18
Use props
Adamr
lvl.1
South Africa

Thor1 Posted at 2017-8-18 01:52
i have seen the same thing yesterday, when i was up and out about 75 meters it said the drone was pointing 12:00 when it was actually pointing about 2:00, when it was 3 meters away and 2 meters off the ground it was accurate.

and If i recall on the day when my drone flew away ... the first time it was calibrated. I flew it for a few minutes no issues

Drove maybe 2km away from this location. Took the drone out and did not calibrate and after a minute it went rogue

So could it be that the compass has a bug (hopefully just software) that is causing these fly aways. Where its real direction to where it thinks it is conflicts and as a safety measures the drone resets itself by going into ATTI first and then again connecting to GPS. So during this reset is where it just flies away
2017-8-18
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The commonality I've seen in most (not all) individuals with this issue is that they either started from a location that could interfere with the compass, or they flew into space that could interfere with the compass.  Though Adamr:  your situation seems different in that from what you describe you've started in good locations and flew in good locations.

The other unique thing I've noted in some of the "fly-away" descriptions is that it appears that for reasons unknown the craft thinks that home point exists in a location that is miles/kmeters away from actual home point, and that the craft behaves as if it must return to the anomalous home point because there isn't enough battery to make the calculated distance.

These aren't facts, they are just observations and opinions.  I've made a point of launching in a "clean" space, flying in a "clean" space, and making sure home point is set just after I launch.  Thus far nothing close to a "fly-away" has happened.
2017-8-18
Use props
SparkPete
lvl.2
Flight distance : 83852 ft
Germany

Got the strange RTH crosses NFZ message recently when playing with the Flight Simulator.

Was sitting inside a mobile home so there was a compass error from the beginning but didn't care as I didn't fly the real thing.

Maybe sitting in a car and using the flight simulator is a good testbench for DJI engineers to track the issue.
2017-8-18
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Canada

SparkPete Posted at 2017-8-18 05:22
Got the strange RTH crosses NFZ message recently when playing with the Flight Simulator.

Was sitting inside a mobile home so there was a compass error from the beginning but didn't care as I didn't fly the real thing.

good observation, i will try that later.
2017-8-18
Use props
rickmo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23901 ft
United States

I was flying this morning in the hills. Nothing around. No problems. Using the remote connected with OTG cable. Had 13 GPS signals. The Spark was about 100 ft up and 100 ft out when all of a sudden I get some kind of GPS disconnect notice and then the voice saying something about ATTI mode and the ATTI sign on the screen. The Spark took off like a bat out of hell in what seemed to be the Sport mode. I lost sight almost immediately and figured it was not going to end well. I looked at the map and turned it to head to the home point, I was hoping, but not sure. I could hear the Spark... finally saw it up quite high. Then GPS came back and I flew it home. WTF? I have no idea what happened. What should I have done? Anything different? I assumed the compass still worked so pointing the arrow home seemed the right thing to do. Any thoughts? This was very scary. I was sure it was gone in the hills forever.
2017-9-10
Use props
wisnia.sebastia
lvl.1

Hong Kong

We have read your flight data. The drone entered Atti mode because of the magnetic interference. Our R&D is working on optimizing this. Thank you for your feedback.
2017-9-17
Use props
kovat53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

update battery before take off
2018-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules