Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Random intermittent X3 video recording problem
87 3 2017-8-6 10:30:38
Njorl
Beginner
Flight distance : 433220
United States

I've successfully used my Inspire 1 w/ X3 camera for over 2 years now, but in the last couple months it started doing some strange - seemingly random - and intermittent video recording.  If I'll take say five 4K videos (each between 10 seconds and maybe 1 minute long), and say 20 pix each flight, of those, typically somewhere between 1 and 3-ish of the videos will appear to record perfectly on the controller, but when viewed on PC, they'll be usually only around 5MB in size, and be less than a half second long even though it was showing good recording during the flight.  Usually all of the pix are fine, but very rarely one or two will be only some random-height horizontal portion of the shot.
I've also successfully used this X3 on my OSMO for many months without problem, but it also started experiencing the same problems at the same time, and I'm sick of losing valuable, video segments for my clients.

Interesting note: The Inspire 1 videos I lose to this error are typically when my camera is pointed straight down while either descending or ascending, not when flying parallel to the ground.

So, I just TODAY I did the following:

1) cleaned all contacts gently with a clean/new #2 pencil eraser (on iPad cord, on camera gimbal, on I1, and even on the MicroSD cards);
2) bought and used a brand new SanDisk MicroSD card (see specs below), placed the latest bin file on it, let the Inspire format it, did a test flight, took six short videos and a bunch of pix, and here's my results:
* All pix are perfect.
* The first 2 videos are perfect (19 seconds, and 39 seconds long)
* The next 2 videos are less than 1/2 a second long good image (5MB size) of right when I pushed RECORD, and they PLAY in a repeating loop when previewed in Media Player.
* The last 2 videos are less than 1/4 second long NO image (2MB size) of black screen only, and they don't PLAY at all in Media Player.

MY KIT: Inspire 1 (bought April 2015) / X3 (bought Oct 2015) / iPad Air 2 (bought Apr 2015) - latest iOS / genuine Apple cable / controller with dual slide-on parabolic reflectors / 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro U3 HC1 MicroSD / 16 GB Lexar 633x U1 HC1 MicroSD / 64 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro U3 XC1 V30 (Just bought Aug 2017).  When using X3 on OSMO: HTC One M9.

MY TYPICALS:  All firmware up-to-date / typically filming 4k & JPG only / recalibrated before each first flight at new location / Hardware Decoding ON.

My gut tells me the culprit is the X3 camera.  Any help on how to fix this would be GREATLY appreciated!!

2017-8-6 10:30:38
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Japan

Njorl, sorry for the experience with our product, so this issue happens recently after firmware upgrading?
Is that possible to upload several corrupted videos to Dropbox and post the link here? I will feedback to our engineers for further analysis, thanks in advance.
2017-8-7 23:00:46
Use props
Njorl
Beginner
Flight distance : 433220
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-7 23:00
Njorl, sorry for the experience with our product, so this issue happens recently after firmware upgrading?
Is that possible to upload several corrupted videos to Dropbox and post the link here? I will feedback to our engineers for further analysis, thanks in advance.

Hi Mindy,

Yes, this happened after successful firmware updating.
Here is A LINK to FOUR .mov videos I took during the same flight within under 3 minutes.
The first one (#115) shows 2MB file size w/ black screen.
The second one (#116) shows < half a second worth of a 5MB video of right when I pushed the record button;
The third one (#117) is a 93MB correct video.
The fourth one (#126) is the very rare 2MB file but w/ a single frame of image capture (instead of black screen).

Also in the Dropbox folder is a file explorer screenshot showing the 8 total video files recorded during that flight (#113 - 129) highlighted in blue.  You'll also note additional videos captured during the previous flight on a different battery as well.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
4 days ago
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Japan

Njorl Posted at 2017-8-12 08:53
Hi Mindy,

Yes, this happened after successful firmware updating.

Sorry for the late response, the videos you uploaded have been forwarded to our engineers for further analysis, I will come back to you once I hear from them, appreciate your patience.
1 day ago
Use props
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules

Close

DJI RecommendsPrevious /1 Next