Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Zenmuse M1 Grinding Failure
2161 6 2017-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans67d63004
lvl.1
United States

Well, that didn't last long. I have a brand new OSMO and I added a brand new Zenmuse M1 to the handle to make it the equivalent of the OSMO Mobile with the added benefit of future expansion and accessory compatibility. I am using the M1 with my iPhone 7 Plus, and while it's in a case, the case is extremely thin (only 0.35mm thick, the Veil XT by Caudabe) and weighs next to nothing. I can balance the M1 without using additional counterweights.

Unfortunately, the M1 lasted for a total of 5 test videos of about 10 seconds in length each. I tried to shoot another test video and the gimbal spun wildly for a second and then started making what I would describe as grinding noise. The light on the handle started blinking yellow, the M1 went limp, and the DJI Go app alrted that the gimbal needed to be restarted. No matter what I did, the gimbal never worked again. Each time I tried to use it, the M1 would spin, grind, go limp, and alert that the gimbal needed to be restarted. So, it's clear that the M1 is now broken. The M1 was not dropped, banged against anything, or damaged in any way. The gimbal is balanced with the iPhone 7 plus in its slim case.

I bought the OSMO with the intent of adding the M1, and now that the M1 has failed so spectacularly in such a short life span, I don't have any confidence that the OSMO or M1 will work reliably if replaced. I definitely won't be sending it to DJI for repair, which is what I expect them to suggest if they respond to this post, considering that I just bought these items last week.

So, what to do? Do I exchange the M1, return it and try the OSMO Mobile, or just give up on DJI? I see others with similar issues, and I see others with other issues with the M1, the OSMO, and even with the OSMO Mobile. I had tried the OSMO Mobile just before this combo, but exchanged it for this combo thinking that the expandability and accessory compatibility would be worth the increase in cost.

Sigh... I had expected more from DJI as I assumed they were the best of the best when it comes to this stuff, but perhaps I was wrong.
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for the experience with our product, it seems that the gimbal was damaged.
How about the X3 camara? Does it work when mount in handle?
If your are sure the M1 was balanced well before powering on, the gimbal will need to be sent in for evaluation, we apologize for the trouble that has been caused.
2017-8-8
Use props
ifonline
lvl.1
United States

The X3 works fine, and I'm positive the M1 was balanced properly. I'm wondering if the iPhone 7 plus is just too heavy for the gimbal. Can you tell me the max payload for the M1/Osmo Mobile?
2017-8-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

ifonline Posted at 2017-8-8 10:25
The X3 works fine, and I'm positive the M1 was balanced properly. I'm wondering if the iPhone 7 plus is just too heavy for the gimbal. Can you tell me the max payload for the M1/Osmo Mobile?

iPhone 7 plus is compatible with M1 gimbal, the gimbal is suggested to be sent in for evaluation and repair, please do it at your most convenience.
2017-8-10
Use props
Pierre9488
lvl.1
France

Hello,
I have the same problem. When I start osmo, the Zenmuse M1 does not stabilize and it beeps and flashes yellow to the right of the Osmo. Still, the smartphone is well connected in bluetooth with the Osmo. It worked until yesterday and since the update it does not work anymore. I use a Oneplus 3T.
2017-11-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Pierre9488 Posted at 2017-11-27 06:16
Hello,
I have the same problem. When I start osmo, the Zenmuse M1 does not stabilize and it beeps and flashes yellow to the right of the Osmo. Still, the smartphone is well connected in bluetooth with the Osmo. It worked until yesterday and since the update it does not work anymore. I use a Oneplus 3T.

Hi, Pierre, please check the firmware version in General Settings.
I would suggest to reinstall the APP to see if the APP will request to update the firmware again.
Besides, did you balance the gimbal before switching on?
2017-11-27
Use props
cisco1972
lvl.1
United States

I have a question, I got my zenmuse m1 gimbal, followed instructions seems like osmo + handle don't connect with gimbal, i saw a video on youtube and still didn't work?" I did download the app and tried to connect bluethooth, has anyone had same problem?
2018-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules