Newbie question - Mavic responsiveness in distance
844 7 2017-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
friikadello
New
Norway

Hi!
I'm new to drones I have flown my Mavic pro about 5 times, but after last two times I'm getting worried. In first flies I'm might didn't notice that (you know excitment and all that stuff) but in last two times I noticed that my mavic responds to commands very slow. I mean, I was flying about 400-600m away from me over the lake and whatever I did on RC it took 1-3sec to respond for mavic. If i wan't to rotate to any of direction when i push my joystick to left it takes couple seconds for my mavic to actually do it to be honest i'm not sure if it's video feed delay or drone itself but from first times i flew it, I flew quite far away and don't remember such a delay. I also wasn't able to switch between Inteligent modes, I wanted to turn on Tripod mode or Cinematic but it just didn't do anything just to test i tried to active track and i could switch to that then i tried to switch to Tripod or cinematic but it just didn't do anything (Sport mode was off). I panicked a little and returned drone home and restarted everything RC, Drone, Tablet but still same stuff. So yestarday again, I was flying from this hill and i flew like 1km away and it's started to respond very slowly to my commands it was a bit windy so I returned drone back to "home" when it was close to me it responded swiftly. Is that normal or Should I be worried? It doesn't show any warnings. All reception signal bars seems alright.
As I write I remembered that in last two flights I used my Tablet as a screen but it shouldn't effect drones response time in distance. Doesn't it ?
Anytips on what should I check or do to figure out what's happening?
2017-8-7
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

I think what you're experiencing is the video feed delay which happens to me too but only during recording. I always fly in LOS but sometimes when it gets too far to notice, what I learned is to pay attention to the aircraft orientation red indicator on the map. If you just starting out flying RC and still unsure about orientations, align the aircraft with its rear to the back (the same orientation when you took off) then pull back your elevator stick (mode2 = right stick) then it will fly back to you. You might also want to climb to a safe height.
2017-8-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

There should be no appreciable delay in response to radio signals, agree with Nazar in that it must be your tablet experiencing video feed lag.
2017-8-7
Use props
friikadello
New
Norway

As soon as it stops raining i will test it out if it's my tablets feed delay issue. Wanted to do it today but winds and raining all day ..
BTW what is LOS ?
2017-8-7
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

friikadello Posted at 2017-8-7 09:25
As soon as it stops raining i will test it out if it's my tablets feed delay issue. Wanted to do it today but winds and raining all day ..
BTW what is LOS ?

LOS = Line of sight
2017-8-7
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Agree with all above.  The only way to know the response is to actually SEE the AC respond.  The telemetry response should be fairly fast - barring interference.  You should see that in the Radar view.  Video stream - as noted is often delayed by processing delays at the phone.

Try LOS observations if you want to access the true response time.  

Of course, the farther you are away, the longer it takes the commands to reach the AC :-)  I'm sure you can do the math.
2017-8-7
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

Video lags a lot more than controls do.  I generally use the altitude and distance readouts on the RC instead of the app, especially if low level as i get more immediate feedback on what its doing.
You can assess latency by comparing things like altitude on the RC and app and see how long it takes them to agree.
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The above discussion make sense. I'm agreed to test the performance in LOS with recommended devices: http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
2017-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules