sparks does not hover in place but moves side to side
7478 23 2017-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frangu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19849 ft
United States

My Spark since day 1 has always move side to side while hovering. i have taken off the propellers and place them again same results. This is the replacement spark received from DJI after a fly away, the first one did not do this.

UPDATE: IMU calibration fixed the issue.
2017-8-7
Use props
Palomino
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

> the perpellas
ಠ_ಠ
2017-8-7
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know about others, but that didn't seem abnormal to me.  My flights have behaved very similar.  Depending on winds and the surface over which the drone is flying, my experience has been the same.  I didn't think of this as unusual or abnormal, but the craft making necessary adjustments.

It looked fairly "tight".
2017-8-7
Use props
Palomino
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-7 14:04
I don't know about others, but that didn't seem abnormal to me.  My flights have behaved very similar.  Depending on winds and the surface over which the drone is flying, my experience has been the same.  I didn't think of this as unusual or abnormal, but the craft making necessary adjustments.

It looked fairly "tight".

I would agree, that is fairly consistent with what I witnessed on mine. No problems with stability while flying.
2017-8-7
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

You got to be kidding, right?  Looking at the clip the drone doesn't move more than 18 inches and you're complaining???
2017-8-7
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
United States

PascalG Posted at 2017-8-7 15:42
You got to be kidding, right?  Looking at the clip the drone doesn't move more than 18 inches and you're complaining???

My first drone did not behave this way. This is the reason I asked.
2017-8-7
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Plus u are very close to the ground....ground turbulence get it up about 5 feet
2017-8-7
Use props
XadronsHorizon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16601 ft
United States

Just my 2-cents, but I think this has something to do with the Spark's altitude detection. In the manual, there's a line about how visual positioning systems on page 12 (used when the drone is under ~2-4m) being affected when flying over monochrome surfaces (l.e. the black asphalt in your video). I had a very similar issue to this including the drone descending on forward stick and ascending on backwards stick in the parking lot where I live (also solid black asphalt). When I repeated the same maneuvers on grass (or any other "textured" surface), i have not seen the same behavior again and the Spark seems to hold is position better even at low altitudes. Above that height threshold, the system uses its barometer and (so far) seems to be generally more stable in all axis than near-ground. Also, as to $gambino$'s comment above, I agree that wind disturbances are definitely more noticeable visually since you're so close to the ground. 100ft up, even movements like those would be difficult to spot.

Give it a shot if you get the chance and see if the behavior is repeated over a "better" surface.
2017-8-7
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
United States

XadronsHorizon Posted at 2017-8-7 16:33
Just my 2-cents, but I think this has something to do with the Spark's altitude detection. In the manual, there's a line about how visual positioning systems on page 12 (used when the drone is under ~2-4m) being affected when flying over monochrome surfaces (l.e. the black asphalt in your video). I had a very similar issue to this including the drone descending on forward stick and ascending on backwards stick in the parking lot where I live (also solid black asphalt). When I repeated the same maneuvers on grass (or any other "textured" surface), i have not seen the same behavior again and the Spark seems to hold is position better even at low altitudes. Above that height threshold, the system uses its barometer and (so far) seems to be generally more stable in all axis than near-ground. Also, as to $gambino$'s comment above, I agree that wind disturbances are definitely more noticeable visually since you're so close to the ground. 100ft up, even movements like those would be difficult to spot.

Give it a shot if you get the chance and see if the behavior is repeated over a "better" surface.

Thanks, ill give that a try and see. i have noticed this when its high up also and it worries me like i said the first one did not act this way and wanted feedback to see what you guys saw.
2017-8-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

if any issue, its IMU, but i doubt there is an issue.

mine i would say is about that stable maybe slightly better, but you are over pavement with patterns that are very much repeating,  which has a lot of reflected sun as well blasting back into the Visual Positioning System, so im guessing its more to do with that, it's struggling to lock in a distinct enough pattern on the pavement with the VPS sensors causing it to flutter around a bit

if it was me, i wouldnt be too worried unless struggling further up like 50 feet up..no wind and still fluttering then i would calibrate IMU

2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Try to calibrate the IMU, then fly the drone higher, see if it is the same.
2017-8-8
Use props
mmatos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 179770 ft
United States

Just piling on - this looks perfectly normal to me. Your prior flights might have been with less wind or less ground effect.
2017-8-8
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

Frangu Posted at 2017-8-7 15:52
My first drone did not behave this way. This is the reason I asked.

How much accuracy do you expect from a $500 drone? It seems to be remaining within a couple of its own length. Pretty impressive to me and more than enough for smooth footage.
2017-8-8
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
United States

mmatos Posted at 2017-8-8 04:26
Just piling on - this looks perfectly normal to me. Your prior flights might have been with less wind or less ground effect.

there was no wind this day, i expected it to fly like the first spark i had. i was just concern.
2017-8-8
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
United States

PascalG Posted at 2017-8-8 04:52
How much accuracy do you expect from a $500 drone? It seems to be remaining within a couple of its own length. Pretty impressive to me and more than enough for smooth footage.

it does not worry you seeing this 100 feet off the ground and the drone moving this way with minimum wind? i would try doing the IMU calibration and see if that helps.
2017-8-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That just looks like VPS not locking with dark ground.
2017-8-8
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Frangu Posted at 2017-8-8 05:11
it does not worry you seeing this 100 feet off the ground and the drone moving this way with minimum wind? i would try doing the IMU calibration and see if that helps.

no, i wouldn't be too concerned that wobble is tiny. looks like VPS is struggling to make a lock, probably blinded by the sun reflecting off the pavement and pavement offering no distinct pattern to lock onto one position.     move it to a different location like somewhere with pattern for down firing sensors to lock onto i usually launch my spark if im near pavement, off sidewalk right on the lines that usually divide sidewalk "blocks"  this gives the VPS something to lockon at take off that isn't like the rest and had depth.  

if it wobbles everywhere then do an IMU calibration, but make sure calibration is done on something perfectly level and move slow.
2017-8-8
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
United States

i have done the IMU calibration and this fixed the issue.
2017-8-8
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe I should do IMU calibration.  The flight looked pretty good to me.  Maybe I should expect more.
2017-8-8
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

What's up on the drone?
2017-8-8
Use props
Frangu
lvl.2
United States

Lian82 Posted at 2017-8-8 16:46
What's up on the drone?

that's the tile.
2017-8-9
Use props
Jerry Shu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66424 ft
Indonesia

How to upload a video here please
2018-8-5
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Jerry Shu Posted at 2018-8-5 09:11
How to upload a video here please

You can't!
Upload to Youtube, vimeo, ...., and insert the link in your topic/post
2018-8-5
Use props
SparkedJoint818
lvl.1
Flight distance : 147884 ft

United States

I had THE SAME ISSUE after I had a HARD LANDING..... I replaced my props too and had no change, but then I remembered the Spark can be RECALIBRATED, and should be from time to time, so I decided to go ahead and give that a try before sending it in for repair.  No I don’t know if it makes a difference but they instruct you to take the propellers off before recalibrating so I went ahead and removed props and RECALIBRATED BOTH IMU AND COMPASS..... as soon as it finished, I replaced the props and fired her up, HOT DAMN, WOULDN'T YOU KNOW THE THING HOVERS FLAWLESSLY NOW!!  If that doesn’t work for you then I think you might have a more serious issue than you think  
2019-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules