Talk with a DJI rep today
1758 13 2017-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nucmanchh
lvl.4
United States

I went to a DJI store today and purchased a helipad and talked to one of the DJI reps about this forum and all the problems of fly aways. He felt only a handfull were due to the Spark itself. And that most had to do with dronie newbies taking it out of the box and flying without reading the manual and taking the proper amount of time to learn. He emphasized allowing the Spark to hover for a time to establish 'home.' The above post '[size=1em]Recommended Topic' titled "Avoid Crash due to Compass Interference" is very important!

Here's a pic from the Spart taken at a TowneSuites in Colorado. We just sat there and sent the Spark up with the RC while those around us warched in amazement

2017-8-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i disagree with him, mostly because i had a very possessed spark, it did things its own way regardless.. things i noticed that caused flyaways actually very little to do with homepoints being set correctly and lot more to do with compass errors and atti mode freaking out.. that combo is RIP for anyone with only mild experiences.   because compass detects direction not GPS or VPS or any other sensors, and spark only has 1 compass.. not dual like other dji products  so compass error = confused spark.. confused spark mid air and for no reason switching to atti mode suddenly  = rip spark its going somewhere else...    if it did like my last spark and tried to go atti mode on gps error + compass error its all kinds of no hope, no matter what home point was set, infact it tried to RTH on atti mode with no GPS and compass error a few times only regaining GPS the moment it crashed.. i had zero control over it...
2017-8-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job, nice picture, thought that was the helipad on closer inspection I see it's a fire , you don't want to be landing in that. Good luck...
2017-8-7
Use props
nucmanchh
lvl.4
United States

Dang I felt more comfortable after talking to the DJI rep now 'ImHereToCrash' wrecks what false confidence I had after leaving the DJI store  
2017-8-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

nucmanchh Posted at 2017-8-7 17:20
Dang I felt more comfortable after talking to the DJI rep now 'ImHereToCrash' wrecks what false confidence I had after leaving the DJI store

haha, sorry!  just saying.. if you have a demon child of a spark you will know fairly quickly ..  a good spark will behave itself and stay connected to RC best it can, not randomly want atti mode with open clear skies.  if your spark is a demon spawn it will pretty much act suicidal or desperate to get away from you.  
if you have a demon spawn of a spark, exchange it right away before its too late, dont clobber it and break it and dont worry about warrenty issues, just return it get another.  im on my second spark and the behavior of spark number 2 opened my eyes to how amazing the spark really is, its soo well behaved..
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

And GPS signal loss is also a majority reason for an accident. If GPS signal lost, you can still control the direction of the drone, but the aircraft can only maintain altitude using the barometer, thus the pilot needs to control the drone very carefully to avoid a crash or flyaway.  
2017-8-9
Use props
LessTlk_MorRck
lvl.1
United States

What would cause the home point to not work? Return to home just lands where it is.
2017-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

LessTlk_MorRck Posted at 2017-8-10 06:27
What would cause the home point to not work? Return to home just lands where it is.

If you lose gps your spark can't RTH , it will only land if it doesn't have enough battery to RTH , or if you are within 20 metres of homepoint and have RTH at current altitude disabled
2017-8-10
Use props
SteelTallon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204094 ft
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-7 16:27
i disagree with him, mostly because i had a very possessed spark, it did things its own way regardless.. things i noticed that caused flyaways actually very little to do with homepoints being set correctly and lot more to do with compass errors and atti mode freaking out.. that combo is RIP for anyone with only mild experiences.   because compass detects direction not GPS or VPS or any other sensors, and spark only has 1 compass.. not dual like other dji products  so compass error = confused spark.. confused spark mid air and for no reason switching to atti mode suddenly  = rip spark its going somewhere else...    if it did like my last spark and tried to go atti mode on gps error + compass error its all kinds of no hope, no matter what home point was set, infact it tried to RTH on atti mode with no GPS and compass error a few times only regaining GPS the moment it crashed.. i had zero control over it...

The only time my Spark freaked out.   I was flying in an open field, and the Spark went in to Atti mode with a mag interference, compass error, GPS lost, and started drifting away fairly quickly. Fortunately,  my previous RC experience with planes and helis told me not to panic.  I tried RTH, and then put it in sports mode was able to fly it back.  All of a sudden everything went green (GPS locked) and it was fine.  

It has been fine ever since, I have no idea what the cause was, but it was not pilot error.
2017-8-10
Use props
Thor1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-7 16:27

I'm sure your experience with the spark may have been that the spark messed up but he said that Most people had a problem because of pilot error not all people. your case may have been different but according to him its rare for the spark to cause problems.

I too had the same issue you did and it stated that RTH was entering a NFZ, i somehow managed to control it in atti mode and safely land. i was on a giant beach with no electrical interference.

i don't believe a lot of people has this issue compared to the amount of people who crashed. for the most of the crashes and losses its probably pilot error.

2017-8-10
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

i'm sure user error is at fault for some percentage, how big of a percentage, i dont even know because once you have a spark that is as possessed as mine was you really start to wonder what really is going on..i wish it was more my fault but im still confused, but not like the sticks or the pause button did anything on RC when it went full demonic possessed emo child on me and tried to off itself.. thats why i really wonder how much is really user error and how much is...whatever mine was.  

i believe  i could have somewhat controlled my spark in Atti mode if it let me, but 90% of the time once it decided to go all possessed, nothing i could do the sticks useless, pause button useless, land button on screen was useless.., sometimes it even disconnected from RC/App so i couldn't give it input if it was about to fly away...
2017-8-10
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Being a drone pilot with several models, I have had 0 issues.
2017-8-10
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bradders Posted at 2017-8-10 10:52
Being a drone pilot with several models, I have had 0 issues.

its sort of luck of the draw sometimes though..  

i will say this though for the spark.. i think that the rate of non user accidents have dropped, at least on this forum... obviously always going to be some..
2017-8-10
Use props
lfkiter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111942 ft
United States

SteelTallon Posted at 2017-8-10 08:40
The only time my Spark freaked out.   I was flying in an open field, and the Spark went in to Atti mode with a mag interference, compass error, GPS lost, and started drifting away fairly quickly. Fortunately,  my previous RC experience with planes and helis told me not to panic.  I tried RTH, and then put it in sports mode was able to fly it back.  All of a sudden everything went green (GPS locked) and it was fine.  

It has been fine ever since, I have no idea what the cause was, but it was not pilot error.

I've had the same experience, most of the time my Spark flies perfect, other times I get the same Compass Error, IMU error, GPS Weak, Atti freakout mode.  Not sure what is causing it, as I've had it happen flying at the same exact spot.  Maybe the batteries? 2 stock from fly more.
2017-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules