Wifi
1227 11 2017-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andre_in_SanDie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 150325 ft
United States

Can someone please explain to me in laymans terms about the wifi. I understand that there are two connections, one connection from the remote to the Spark and another connection from the remote to the phone. When I look at the DJI Go app and see the wifi stating it is on 5.8ghz, what connection is the app referring to?

2017-8-8
Use props
fansfa9c1c91
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197 ft
United States

I have been wondering the same thing too. Hope there's someone with an answer to that.
2017-8-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

It means the working frequency of both the image transmission and remote controller. If the WiFi is on 5.8GHz, the operating frequency of the drone and RC are both in this channel mode. You can choose a channel with less noise, then the transmission of the image will be more smooth.
2017-8-8
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

The connection between RC and phone is never shown but, assuming you aren't using the unsupported (and hopefully, NOT soon to be removed) OTG connection, it's always the other WIFI band. If, RC-AC is on 5.8, RC-phone is on 2.4 and vice versa. Also, you can't manually select a channel for it.
In theory, it's a good system and it should work. In practice, at least in EU (CE limited transmission power), it's bad.
2017-8-9
Use props
Andre_in_SanDie
lvl.2
United States

Zirconn Posted at 2017-8-9 01:38
The connection between RC and phone is never shown but, assuming you aren't using the unsupported (and hopefully, NOT soon to be removed) OTG connection, it's always the other WIFI band. If, RC-AC is on 5.8, RC-phone is on 2.4 and vice versa. Also, you can't manually select a channel for it.
In theory, it's a good system and it should work. In practice, at least in EU (CE limited transmission power), it's bad.

Thanks a lot
2017-8-9
Use props
Andre_in_SanDie
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-8 23:51
It means the working frequency of both the image transmission and remote controller. If the WiFi is on 5.8GHz, the operating frequency of the drone and RC are both in this channel mode. You can choose a channel with less noise, then the transmission of the image will be more smooth.

Thanks, I think I understand a little better now
2017-8-9
Use props
Aerial Ant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1249715 ft
United States

Yes you want layman's terms. The phone itself can create a wifi signal to connect to your drone. Now when you use the R/C it basically extends and boosts that signal, along with giving you more control features. The 2.4 and 5.8ghz are the frequencies or channels in which the signals operate. The 2.4 uses the same as ALOT of other electronics and you are likely to get signal interference but the range and connection is better. The 5.8 is higher and less congested but the range is shorter. Hopefully I explained it in a way that helps/clarifies it for you and if not maybe someone else can chime in.
2017-8-9
Use props
Andre_in_SanDie
lvl.2
United States

Aerial Ant Posted at 2017-8-9 06:41
Yes you want layman's terms. The phone itself can create a wifi signal to connect to your drone. Now when you use the R/C it basically extends and boosts that signal, along with giving you more control features. The 2.4 and 5.8ghz are the frequencies or channels in which the signals operate. The 2.4 uses the same as ALOT of other electronics and you are likely to get signal interference but the range and connection is better. The 5.8 is higher and less congested but the range is shorter. Hopefully I explained it in a way that helps/clarifies it for you and if not maybe someone else can chime in.

I believe you are incorrect when you say that when you use the Remote to connect to the Spark, it does not "boost" the signal of the phone. Those connections are separate, the remote to the spark is one and the phone to the remote is another.  
2017-8-9
Use props
jetto black
lvl.3
Flight distance : 202995 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-8 23:51

DJI Thor, respectfully, could you please confirm your statement? Are the RC-to-Spark and RC-to-Phone connections supposed to be on the same WiFi band? At least for me, this does not seem to be the case.

As far as I can tell, when the RC-to-Phone connection is using 5.8G, the RC-to-Spark connection is using 2.4G and vice versa. This makes a lot of sense for the purpose of avoiding interference, so I suspect this is the intended behavior.

For example, Spark pilots using Android phones in CE countries often run into limited range because some Android phones don't support the correct 5.8G channels (not DJI's fault). This means the RC-to-Android connection is forced to use 2.4G and the RC-to-Spark connection is forced to use 5.8G. This results in reduced control range due to 5.8G power limitations in CE countries. Switching to an iPhone solves this problem as the iPhone supports the proper 5.8G channels, so the RC-to-iPhone can use 5.8G and RC-to-Spark can use 2.4G resulting in much better range. If your statement were true and both links were on the same band, this problem would not occur, as both connections could be using 2.4G.

BTW, this problem doesn't happen in the USA because the 5.8G channel allocations are different, and even if the phone only supports 2.4G, the maximum TX power on 5.8G is higher than in CE countries.

If I am proven wrong I will be happy to correct myself.
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

jetto black Posted at 2017-8-9 10:31
DJI Thor, respectfully, could you please confirm your statement? Are the RC-to-Spark and RC-to-Phone connections supposed to be on the same WiFi band? At least for me, this does not seem to be the case.

As far as I can tell, when the RC-to-Phone connection is using 5.8G, the RC-to-Spark connection is using 2.4G and vice versa. This makes a lot of sense for the purpose of avoiding interference, so I suspect this is the intended behavior.

It is confirmed that if one changes the channel on WiFi settings, both RC and transmission's operating frequency will be changed together.
2017-8-10
Use props
Aerial Ant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1249715 ft
United States

Andre_in_SanDie Posted at 2017-8-9 08:31
I believe you are incorrect when you say that when you use the Remote to connect to the Spark, it does not "boost" the signal of the phone. Those connections are separate, the remote to the spark is one and the phone to the remote is another.

I'm sorry, you are correct. I give info as best I can but don't want to spread wrong info around. Thanks
2017-8-10
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

Those regulatory domain stuff are a kid of a Hell with Android (don't know about iOS)

Especially when it comes to 5.8GHz band where there are a lot more available channels and where legally available channels changes a lot from country to country.
I'm pretty sure that many of the disconnection issues are related to this. e.g. if RC+AC decides to switch to a channel that is not supported by the phone, or suppoted only at low power.
(DJI, can you confirm if RC+AC can change channel in flight ?)

In that case, OTG should help a lot as DJI only has to take care of RC+AC frequencies and channels, and no more about some flawed android ieee80211_regdom implementations... Would I be a DJI developper, that would definetly be the way I would go... at least for people who own the flymore combo... I understand it will not solve issues for peoples intending to control from phone only, but here, I guess that they have to implement a fixed wifi channel selection because auto will be buggy for a long time. Another solution could be to reverse things : make phone being the AP and AC being the client and stick to channel available on the phone.
2017-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules